AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-04-25, 05:06   Link #1
aran

Katsuhiro Otomo's Steamboy

I just found out about Steamboy. (Trailer: http://www.apple.co.jp/quicktime/tra...boy_large.html)
According to the synopsis I read (here: http://www.bigredhair.com/steamboy/), it's "the most elaborate and expensive animated feature ever produced in Japan. It took ten years to make, and it’s the only major project Ôtomo has worked on since he made Akira!"
It looks amazing!
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 05:16   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

It definitely looks amazing. I know I'll be getting it when it's out.

It's also licensed, there's a trailer for it on Colubia Tristar's Tokyo Godfathers DVD.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 19:22   Link #3
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
The movie is slated for a theatrical release in Japan on 7/17/2004--I just saw an extended promo feature on the July Newtype(Japanese) ride-along DVD and it is absolutely amazing! The level of scenery fidelity to London borders on Monster's faithfulness to Germany and the Czech Republic
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 00:49   Link #4
Tommy
Mr. Prince

*drools* This show looks so friggen good! Anyword on a US release date?
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 02:58   Link #5
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
I swear I saw that trailer in the Starship Troopers 2 DVD, ST2 btw, was absolutely horrible.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 12:09   Link #6
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
*drools* This show looks so friggen good! Anyword on a US release date?
Sometimes in October according to ANN. "Steamboy 2" is apparently also in the works.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-10, 05:58   Link #7
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Yesterday I watched Steamboy. The low quality of the version I saw did nothing to diminish the fact that this is an utterly amazing movie. The action, the pacing, the music and the sheer richness of the animation are breathtaking. The characters are wonderful, especially Ray and Scarlett and having Robert Louis Stephenson has one of the heroes is a work of genius. The other thing that I love is that it's set in Victorian England with recognisable landmarks from London and faithfully recreated rural and industrial landscapes that burst with lush detail. Did I mention the music? The soundtrack is a memorable dramatic loud pounding John Williams-esque score from Steve Jablonsky (POTC) that fits the industrial backdrop of the adventure perfectly.

It needs to be seen at the cinema to do the sheer scale of the story justice, but luckily the R2 dvd comes out before it'll hit these shores Definately one of my favourite anime movies and of course, highly recommended ...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-10, 08:04   Link #8
Kensuke

I have already bought the ticket. I will write a little review after I have seen (next week's saturday and counting days...)
I hope it will get Finnish DVD release, like Metropolis, Spirited Away and Cowboy Bebop movie before it.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-10, 08:50   Link #9
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke
I have already bought the ticket. I will write a little review after I have seen (next week's saturday and counting days...)
I hope it will get Finnish DVD release, like Metropolis, Spirited Away and Cowboy Bebop movie before it.
I'm so envious, we haven't even got a confirmed UK release date yet...
Old 2004-09-10, 10:35   Link #10
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Sonhex, I believe we might have watched the same low quality version *cough*, though I watched it at least 2 weeks back. I agree totally with you on the qualities that shone through still.

Steamboy is one heck of a movie, though I think it is actually more of an action genre, which it excelled in! The actions sequences were smooth, fluid, being displayed at various angles.

This will be one movie DVD I will be waiting for (though very likely I will have to import it in *sigh*)!
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-10, 10:52   Link #11
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Yebyosh, it was hard work especially without subtitles, but in a way I'm glad cause the quality of the dvd will just be amazing. I totally agree about the action, it's filmed like a live action movie rather than an animation. It's also noticable in the characters, the way they move and their expressions are incredibly smooth.

I was reading that Otomo aschewed a lot of the trappings of anime and aimed to create a Star Wars scale movie, he certainly suceeded...
Old 2004-09-18, 18:41   Link #12
Kensuke

Steamboy was good! Theatre was full as far as I could tell, but that was not a big surprise.
First I have to say that the quality of animation is by far the best I have ever seen, everything was very detailed and clear. Even use of CGI with normal animation, which I usually dislike, is so good that its hard to tell where it was used.
I like, among other things, animes that make me think, like Wings of Honneamise. While in Steamboy there are philosophical question asked (repeatedly) about costs of progress and about sciences role in society, when it in the same time procuses goods for people and tries to make their lives better, it also produces weapons. But I think what the movie tried to question that how we use science in a world where everything is measured by how much profit it can make. So invention is good as far as it can make money, even if the original goal wasn't it.
Some people have said that Steamboy is a mix of western and japanese themes, I agree, this could have been western animation, but in the same time its clearly different than anything that western studios would produce. One part that I liked that there are no evil characters, everybody have their goals and motivations but in different ways, so this a source of conflict, rather than being simply good vs. evil. Main character Ray is first rather naive, but he develops during the movie and my one of the favorite part and I think one of the key points in movie was when
Spoiler:

But deeper themes aside, since Steamboy is mostly action anime, and I think it puts everything that was done before it to shame, that chase scene when Ray first finds steamball is simply breathtaking.

All in all, Steamboy is one kick-ass action anime, I was glued to the seat during most of the action scenes.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 03:12   Link #13
LK_LoA

Steamboy has detailed, fluid and great-looking animation. It does try to address the nature of technology and it's double-edged nature. However, the action scenes seem to overwhelm the scene.

Audio/Music: I want to see an English dub of this. The English setting is perfect for it and will cut down on the katakana mangling of Eduwa-do-, Su-ka-le-to etc. Music was a bit heavy and overwhelmed some of the scenes. B

Video/Graphics: Woah. A+

Plot: Story was OK but if
Spoiler:
Rating~ C

Overall~ B due to great animation.

Don't forget to watch through the ending credits for the possible sequel!
LK_LoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-30, 01:28   Link #14
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

Quote:
Don't forget to watch through the ending credits for the possible sequel!
After spending 2.4 billion Yen/$23 million (180,000 frames) on the project, I don't know if anyone will be too eager to take on such a large endeavor so soon...
Aaron_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-30, 14:31   Link #15
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_b
After spending 2.4 billion Yen/$23 million (180,000 frames) on the project, I don't know if anyone will be too eager to take on such a large endeavor so soon...
Well a sequel is already in the works, not just Steamboy 2 but Steamgirl as well...
Old 2006-05-19, 02:40   Link #16
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
Well a sequel is already in the works, not just Steamboy 2 but Steamgirl as well...
For a long time I was busy with studies and watching other anime series (GSD, Blood+, FMP! TSR) that I almost forgot about Steamboy until it caught my attention when I came today my DVD store to rent a few titles.

However, I wasn't disappointed at all. I must go in the same way as you said about Steamboy after I watched the Director's Cut version. The overall story was great, the animation and the music (some great Steve Jablonsky!) were fantastic. I never espected Japanimation people to re-create so greatly the background of England in 1866, with the entire spirit of Industrial Revolution as well as the will to aim bigger and higher with technology & science.

Also, what can I say about the English voices of Anna paquin, Patrick Stewart and Alfred Molina? These 3 actors alone were worth to listen when looking at the entire scenes.

The only low point was about a few slowdowns in the plot, but they didn't bother me that much as everything made up for everything.

It has been almost 2 years already that Steamboy came to the screen in Japan, and I am asking myself whether or not Steamgirl/Steamboy 2 would ever come to us. However, I still hope something might come out someday as our long awaited sequel even if Otomo won't be there as a director; besides, any project (he was part of) always took a few years to get ready.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2006-05-19 at 03:00.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-19, 03:24   Link #17
gmanr26

I saw the movie..... The story was average at best.... The animation was pretty.... If you want something to shout Otomo's name for get Akira (which everyone should know already)

I give this movie a solid 6.8/10
gmanr26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 16:19   Link #18
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

"Steam Boy" makes me want to cry...

Alright. So one day, my brother and I wanted to get an anime fix and decided to buy the Full Metal Alchemist movie for an evening of entertainment. We then ended the movie wondering whether it would have been better for us to have bought Steam Boy.

Having just rented Steam Boy...
...wow...
How do I even say this?

It's a great exercise in surrealism. You have to completely shut off your brain to even watch the movie.

It's just that bad. The movie's plot is nonsensical. The moral of the story might as well have been conceived by a ten-year-old. And the "science" of the whole thing is non-existent.

"Yeah! let's throw together a bunch of motifs and maybe a morality play will come of out of it!"

*ARGHHH*

No really...
"Steam when compressed at a high pressure within a small volume, when released, will freeze shit."

What?!

Am I the only person who thought this was the worst movie ever? It can't be the alcohol I was drinking...

Alright, to be fair, the visuals were stunning. But so what?
Twisted Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 14:16   Link #19
DanielSong39

Homage to American summer blockbusters

My first reaction was to accept it for what it was; an entertaining action movie. Sure, there are a lot of things that don't make sense, and the characters and the plot can seem rather shallow at times - but it was still fun and exciting for the most part. My advice would be to leave your brain at the door and enjoy the ride.

Favorite moment: the impromptu omiai between Ray and Scarlett. Safe to say that she doesn't make a good first impression...
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote