AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2011-07-11, 18:28   Link #8301
Shadow5YA

Haha... I actually got the references this time. Anohana in the title and Steins;gate in the chapter itself.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 18:51   Link #8302
Mentar
Banned

Is it just me, or was that the most boring chapter in the last half year?

To be honest, I really either want Nagi's manga obsession to end or to get somewhere. At the moment, I'm royally bored during each Nagi-centric chapter (like this one).
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 19:19   Link #8303
AzureWrath

I have to say that I think the art stabilized/ improved this chapter. For some reason, I've been thinking that the art quality has been dropping a bit in recent chapters. Though there were still some places where shortcuts were clearly taken, I did like some of the more drawn panels this week.

For the chapter itself, it twas fairly uneventful. I did kinda expect Maria to help, but I guess that would detract from Nagi doing it herself. Ohes well....hope for better next week. It might just be me again, but this whole arc has been dragging t.t
Old 2011-07-11, 19:38   Link #8304
Used Can

I agree on the motion that I find myself terribly uninterested in the Nagi arcs. But well, that may be because I'm not a fan of hers.

As for the arc itself, I guess we'll have to wait until the story finally starts moving. It was rather similar with the Greece arc. It started being really slow, but once it picked up, it became rather good.
Old 2011-07-11, 20:39   Link #8305
madmac

Quote:
Is it just me, or was that the most boring chapter in the last half year?
Eh? This was probably my favorite chapter in months.

Nagi does seem to be a love or hate character with some people. But then I find Hina fans mostly incomprehensible, so fair enough.

*I mean, I like Hina but not that much, and her focus chapters usually bore me to tears. Apparently it's the reverse for a lot of people. *shrug*
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 07:37   Link #8306
Sol Falling

Nagi is cute. I dunno--I wouldn't say I love Nagi or that she's my favourite character or anything, but I usually don't have any trouble enjoying her story arcs. She's kinda like an animal--easily excitable and at the same time tending towards laziness. She's interesting to watch, so even just seeing her messing around for a while is a pretty amusing read for a chapter or two.

Chapters like these are actually much more to my general taste than i.e. for example, the previous one. Light-hearted character interactions are pretty much the bread and butter of this series, after all.

(The Steins;Gate references...y'know, I can't believe I forgot for awhile about Hayate no Gotoku's intertextuality. :P I'm surprisingly still a sceptic as far as Steins;Gate itself goes actually, so is it weird that for now I'm thinking as if it's Nagi herself making the references? I.e. Nagi is the sort of otaku I can see being into that series, so I'd rather take it as characterization rather than fanservice which doesn't appeal to me. But actually, although I've heard that the anime was famous for it, I can't remember much of the previous references Hayate has done at all).
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 07:53   Link #8307
Shadow5YA

The series makes a lot of references and 4th wall breaking moments. The Anohana and Steins;gate one may be one of the few we understand, but the series always had a lot of them. If you want to reread the series, there are a lot of translation notes throughout on what the references are.
Old 2011-07-12, 15:15   Link #8308
matteas
Member Member

Nagi: "It's me, Houzenin Kyougi. The organization is preventing me from finishing my manga in time. The situation is pretty dire. Call for the reinforcements. El Psy Kangaroo."

I really like such references and that is why I enjoyed this chapter. These are really one of the most blatant ones, which are the easiest to remember I think and I appreciate them the most. As far as I remember, Hata-san hasn't been using such references recently. The last I remember was when the priest talked about wanting to end his life, because his beloved anime ended (K-ON!!).
matteas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 04:04   Link #8309
Used Can

About the cover for vol.29, is that a reference to something? I'm sure the whole thing reminds me of something else. The rock, the sword and the pose Hina is doing all tell me this is something I've seen before, but I'm not quite sure what it is.
Old 2011-07-13, 09:13   Link #8310
Rah
Are you a lolicon? :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
About the cover for vol.29, is that a reference to something? I'm sure the whole thing reminds me of something else. The rock, the sword and the pose Hina is doing all tell me this is something I've seen before, but I'm not quite sure what it is.
Believe it or not but I think so too. Really no idea what, tho. Maybe something already seen in the manga, or maybe something completely different.

Well, I can't be bothered going through the manga to see if there's any similar scene there, and I'm too lazy to think about it too, so yeah...

Leaving it up to you or someone else who's got the time and interest to think about it~

Maybe we aren't even thinking of the same thing. But who knows. Hata does loads of parodies and copies many scenes from different media...

Ahaha...
Old 2011-07-15, 23:55   Link #8311
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Ugh, that question sent me on a Google image hunt. What I came up with is similarities to a couple of Tony Taka illustrations and one of Mai Kawasumi from Kanon.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 17:27   Link #8312
mitsuganae

I'm pleasantly surprised that Hata has managed to focus on the main storyline for so long . Perhaps he's taking something for his ADHD? In any case, I hope he heeds Star Wars and continues to stay on target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
But then I find Hina fans mostly incomprehensible, so fair enough.

*I mean, I like Hina but not that much, and her focus chapters usually bore me to tears. Apparently it's the reverse for a lot of people. *shrug*
Agreed. Personally, I find rabid fans of anime characters utterly nauseating.

I find that Hina is most effective when her tiresome love-whining serves as fuel for comedy (like the coffee tasting chapter).

Last edited by mitsuganae; 2011-07-18 at 17:38.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 11:23   Link #8313
Shadow5YA

What about manga characters who are rabid fans of anime characters? Speaking of which, ch329 is out.

And holy crap, Hayate actually drew a line in his harem this time.
Old 2011-07-20, 11:27   Link #8314
GDB

What do you mean "this time"? He's been treating Nagi more special than he used to ever since the end of the Greece arc. After all, he feels responsible for her losing her wealth.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 11:32   Link #8315
AnimeFangirl

As well he should. Even though Nagi did destroy the jewel herself...
Old 2011-07-20, 11:49   Link #8316
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
What do you mean "this time"? He's been treating Nagi more special than he used to ever since the end of the Greece arc. After all, he feels responsible for her losing her wealth.
But he's never really made the distinction explicitly. For example, offering his futon to Luca shows how kind he is to every girl that often needs to misunderstandings and jealousy.
Old 2011-07-20, 11:56   Link #8317
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

only 12 pages this week? this is a new low for Hata right now...and the story continues moving at a snails pace...maybe I really should just let the chapters pile up for the next month or 2
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 14:46   Link #8318
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

What's this bad feeling Chiharu has? Afraid Hayate's harem's going to grow, thus increasing the eventual number of broken hearts? (... kinda too late for that, isn't it?)

Or afraid of a head to head confrontation between haremettes?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 20:31   Link #8319
madmac

Quote:
What's this bad feeling Chiharu has? Afraid Hayate's harem's going to grow, thus increasing the eventual number of broken hearts? (... kinda too late for that, isn't it?)
Luca was pretty obviously jealous there. I think Chiharu is just worried that it's going to cause unnecessary drama for everyone, especially if she moves in.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 22:09   Link #8320
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

Or afraid of a head to head confrontation between haremettes?
Or perhaps having an idol with quite a bit of debt being in the house could mean unnecessary drama from outsiders......
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen