AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-06-29, 22:20   Link #2021
garra113
CaramellDansen!!!

Wow... I can see this thread become the next Suzumiya Haruhi thread O_O. Well anyway, I am having trouble catching the parodys to this kinda of anime. Does anyone have a link that shows the reference to the anime like the one they made for Hayate no Gotoku? like this link http://whoopdedo.org/moe/anime:hayat...oku#episode_12
garra113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 23:12   Link #2022
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogo_Pogo View Post
I remember someone saying something about evil or satan.
Left handed were cursed/possesed or something.
My mother had to write using her right hande even if she was left-handed.
She was in a school with nuns and such... Because of shoujo-ai stories this seems kind of strange, i hope she didn't have anyone chasing afeter her, hum maybe i think too much...

I think it's not the place to ask this but...
In the translation of the OP of the a.f.k. release there is that Q.E.D. that appears at the end of the cheerleaders segment.
what does Q.E.D. means? I just don't know!
1) "evil or satan" are european historical reasons that lefties were feared. More practically, since 1/10 people are strong lefties -- most societies feared or shunned them simply because it was unusual. For the Roman Empire, it was impractical since all their military training assumed right-handedness. I haven't found any reason why the asians might freak over it so I suppose its the usual "He's different! Burn him!!" b.s.

2) QED means "quod erat demonstrandum" and is a short hand term used in mathematics, physics, philosophy, and most sciences for that matter to end a proof of something (i.e. "and therefore it is demonstrated")

I suppose you could also say "intuitively obvious to the casual observer".

Old 2007-06-30, 00:34   Link #2023
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi

Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
I'm back at home (for now) from Anime Expo. The panel was great, despite me having to wait in line for 7 hours for registration and not making it to the good seats for the panel. I expected several people to ask Aya Hirano questions or comment about her role as Konata in Lucky Star. Two people in front of me have asked her to do a Timotei impersonation and a snippet of the DBZ OP. If only I didn't get there so late, I would've asked her how she would go about eating a chocolate coronet.

I'm definitely going to the autograph session tomorrow. Thank goodness I bought a legit copy of the Motteke! Sailor Fuku single.
Konata-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 01:49   Link #2024
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata-chan View Post
I'm back at home (for now) from Anime Expo. The panel was great, despite me having to wait in line for 7 hours for registration and not making it to the good seats for the panel. I expected several people to ask Aya Hirano questions or comment about her role as Konata in Lucky Star. Two people in front of me have asked her to do a Timotei impersonation and a snippet of the DBZ OP. If only I didn't get there so late, I would've asked her how she would go about eating a chocolate coronet.

I'm definitely going to the autograph session tomorrow. Thank goodness I bought a legit copy of the Motteke! Sailor Fuku single.
That panel was teh_awesomeness. So many good "questions" (mostly anyway).

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 02:00   Link #2025
Shin_Battousai

Someone record what was said at the panel (as a video or a transcription) for those who can't be there for whatever reason (eg. living on the other side of the world...)
Shin_Battousai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 02:27   Link #2026
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi

Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin_Battousai View Post
Someone record what was said at the panel (as a video or a transcription) for those who can't be there for whatever reason (eg. living on the other side of the world...)
Not only did my phone decided to die on me at that point, but the higherups said no recording devices allowed, otherwise they'd take it away.

Lemme see if I can try to remember... (and if you guys were there, I was the girl in behind the guy wearing the red shirt and in front of the girl in the Haruhi bunny girl suit in the guitar)

The two references to Lucky Star's Konata. One was about Timotei, the other about DBZ OP. One thing I've noticed is that she seemed to be somewhat embarrassed about us referring to Konata all the time.

Hirano was also asked the following:
(In Japanese) what her ideal 'type' would be. I think it was someone nice and cool
If she had a boyfriend at the moment. Answer: "Kinsoku jikou desu". There are some things that seiyuus are not allowed to reveal.
Something about Drama CD's. She was surprised about us getting drama CD's. (I guess she doesn't know about the power of downloading)
Roles that she would like to play: She wants to play the cold-hearted person, she's playing too many energetic people.
I'm a guy that wants to be a seiyuu, and I was wondering if you can be my friend: We can be friends after doing a co-project together.

I may be a fangirl of Aya Hirano, but sheesh you guys, if I were Hirano-san I'd be a bit creeped out by your comments.

Yuko Goto
How was singing like Mikuru like?: Not that hard, she can't sing well either.

Minori Chihara: Asked about her latest CD's, she mentioned something about her latest album released this month (forgot the name)
Konata-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 02:57   Link #2027
Shin_Battousai

Yeah i heard that such devices weren't allowed although it seems like people used them anyway during the S.K.I.N. concert. Hope there'll be vids on AX's backstage website.
Shin_Battousai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 11:07   Link #2028
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I see there's a new Lucky☆Star fansubber, Your-Dad, as of a couple of days ago who's released eps 6-11 pretty much all at once. Does anyone know what their subs are like? I've been looking for an accurate but fairly literal non-H264 subber for this series so I wondered how they scored in that respect.

@Konata-chan: re. Aya's embarrassment over Lucky Star qns, she's probably there at the expense of the Haruhi licensor, so using the time to promote another series (which might end up being licenced by someone else) is probably a bit of a no-no.

§ lefthandedness: this used to be repressed in most cultures not just Japan, e.g. UK & Europe, mainly for the usual "all deviations from the norm are evil and must be suppressed" reasons that most societies have to a greater or lesser extent. some of it is also due to laziness - an unwillingness to make that little extra effort to accommodate left handedness, e.g. I recall a guitar teacher refusig to teach my left-handed brother unless he learned right handed. (That was quite a long time ago now though, I don't think such discrimination would be allowed in the UK any more)

However I think perhaps Japan was still repressing lefthandedness more recently than other countries though, just as sexism and racism have survived longer there (I knew a Japanese girl who emigrated from Japan about 10-15 years ago specifically because she couldn't stand the sexism of her countrymen any more).

Close this thread, Open the nexT

Last edited by Samatarou; 2007-06-30 at 11:21.
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 11:43   Link #2029
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sad to say for my japanese male friends.. but I know far too many japanese women that simply refuse to consider a japanese guy because of the prevailingly sexist attitudes men tend to have. The younger guys seem to be adapting a bit better but the older men... well the ones who realize they're about to get divorced will on rare occasion attend schools to Teach Them How Not to Be An Ass.

Japan has a lot of attitudes that I would characterize as "early 60s" ... they're right on the edge of enough women saying "that's enough of this shit". Of course, American attitudes keep seesawing back and forth ... I too often hear the most amazing sexist BS coming out of the mouths of people half my age.
Old 2007-06-30, 14:47   Link #2030
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Anone taking a bet on whether a US license is announced today or tomorrow? ADV is in the middle of its AnimeExpo presentation, and there are many licensors we have yet to hear from. This show NOT getting picked up this weekend would surprise me.
Old 2007-06-30, 15:05   Link #2031
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
Anone taking a bet on whether a US license is announced today or tomorrow? ADV is in the middle of its AnimeExpo presentation, and there are many licensors we have yet to hear from. This show NOT getting picked up this weekend would surprise me.
If you want my guess, I think Kadokawa USA (who I expect will release it themselves with a partner, à la Haruhi/The Third/FMP:TSR) will wait a bit longer to announce the U.S. release. Main reason being they wouldn't want to do anything to cut into R2 DVD sales and buzz (LE sell-outs in three days, and all that...), and there are still 11 more Japanese DVDs to go. Plus I think this would be a natural sort of segue from Haruhi's R1 release (despite their being very different shows); sort of counting on the popularity of the one to fuel the other. That being said, I don't see them waiting too long either for those very same reasons; striking while the iron's hot, as it were... So, if I were to place a bet, I'd bet on an announcement in the early Fall with a release to quickly follow. That's just a guess, though, and if anything (from an outside perspective) the market sure seems unpredictable sometimes. Who knows...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 04:11   Link #2032
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I mentioned this in the episode 12 thread, but it got buried amongst other stuff, so I'll raise this issue here.

Once again great work to Stratos and the guys at a.f.k. on the new episode. Though can I make a comment? It's already halfway through the series, but I wonder why your karaoke for the OP Motteike! Sailor Fuku is still only available in romaji. (I'm the sort that tries not to read any romaji when possible while learning, reading and writing Japanese. ) The single's out for sometime already with lyrics attached. Of course I understand if you couldn't be bothered in order to spend more time on translating the main stuff.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 04:34   Link #2033
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
I see there's a new Lucky☆Star fansubber, Your-Dad, as of a couple of days ago who's released eps 6-11 pretty much all at once. Does anyone know what their subs are like?
If it's the same people as the old your-dad, it's a waste of breath to even mention their existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
Neither. It's not going to get picked up at AX. This is just people's fantasies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
It's already halfway through the series, but I wonder why your karaoke for the OP Motteike! Sailor Fuku is still only available in romaji. (I'm the sort that tries not to read any romaji when possible while learning, reading and writing Japanese. ) The single's out for sometime already with lyrics attached. Of course I understand if you couldn't be bothered in order to spend more time on translating the main stuff.
The lack of kanji is probably because it's pointless since those who can actually read it can just google for the lyrics sheet and it takes up space. However I have no idea for the real reason. (To get lyrics, type in the song name + lyrics in kanji to google.)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 09:11   Link #2034
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
I see there's a new Lucky☆Star fansubber, Your-Dad, as of a couple of days ago who's released eps 6-11 pretty much all at once. Does anyone know what their subs are like? I've been looking for an accurate but fairly literal non-H264 subber for this series so I wondered how they scored in that respect.
Come now...you can probably feel the low quality just from processing "6 episodes at once" in your mind. Seriously.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 15:02   Link #2035
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
With a name that reminds me of "Your Mom", I don't bet too highly.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 21:09   Link #2036
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Once again great work to Stratos and the guys at a.f.k. on the new episode. Though can I make a comment? It's already halfway through the series, but I wonder why your karaoke for the OP Motteike! Sailor Fuku is still only available in romaji.
JEEB have it in kanji, you could just get the .ass script from their site and overlay it on your existing video (or a raw) if you like. Should be quite easy to chop all but the kanji lines out of the script if that's all you need.

Personally I prefer the op with no karaoke at all, since it's basically a nonsense song I'm not really interested in the lyrics, for me the subs just clutter up the nice OP seq. Given that even Japanese viewers couldn't make the words out properly I'm not sure it's a very useful song to practice your Japanese with either.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 21:54   Link #2037
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Why would any sane company pickup Lucky Star... very, very limited audience. In addition to be overtly otaku, this show is very, very Japanese. There's reference to something Japanese in every sentence. Even among the hardcore Western otaku very few knows that much about the real Japanese pop culture. I really don't see the audience here. I fully expect no R1 release for Lucky Star.

Quote:
Personally I prefer the op with no karaoke at all, since it's basically a nonsense song I'm not really interested in the lyrics, for me the subs just clutter up the nice OP seq. Given that even Japanese viewers couldn't make the words out properly I'm not sure it's a very useful song to practice your Japanese with either.
Oh there's plenty of excellent meaning in that OP. It's not a good practice song though... I think it's great normal OP gets karaoke.. shows the respect the fansubber has for the music. It always bring a smile to my face. One of the main reason I even watch English fansub was for the excellent karaoke.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 22:00   Link #2038
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

gomen nei.. double post shita...
Old 2007-07-01, 22:05   Link #2039
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Why would any sane company pickup Lucky Star... very, very limited audience. In addition to be overtly otaku, this show is very, very Japanese. There's reference to something Japanese in every sentence. Even among the hardcore Western otaku very few knows that much about the real Japanese pop culture. I really don't see the audience here. I fully expect no R1 release for Lucky Star.
If it weren't for the Kadokawa/Kyoto Animation combination and the prior history of releasing a number of "very Japanese" shows into this market, I might agree with you. As it stands, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Kadokawa sell it here (since they own it anyway, there's no licensing cost). There are a number of shows even more "niche"/limited-in-appeal than this one already being released. Of course, time will tell, though... There's really no way to know, of course.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 22:32   Link #2040
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
If it weren't for the Kadokawa/Kyoto Animation combination and the prior history of releasing a number of "very Japanese" shows into this market, I might agree with you. As it stands, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Kadokawa sell it here (since they own it anyway, there's no licensing cost). There are a number of shows even more "niche"/limited-in-appeal than this one already being released. Of course, time will tell, though... There's really no way to know, of course.
Man I wish more so called anime fan start watching real Japanese shows so these references won't be so obscure. Then releases here maybe more likely. Come on anime fans, you're already part of J-culture... it's so strange to know only a specific part of a pop culture so well and be so utterly ignorant about everything else... But I guess that's also true of otakus in Japan. I'm willing to bet that Kahala Tomomi ED song threw them for a loop... its unlikely that many (or ANY) male otaku have heard the song. You can probably kill a J-Otaku by forcing them to sit through a MV for Arashi.

If there's a chance for release, I hope it's a special edition only release with a lot of goodies to reward the hardcore. There are some very knowledgeable, high-quality otaku in the West... they should be awarded for knowing all about Comiket while living in the hostile West.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-07-02 at 10:21. Reason: fixing typo

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen