AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Which direction did you see it spin first?
Clockwise 24 58.54%
Counter Clockwise 8 19.51%
Half and Half 9 21.95%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-01-03, 05:00   Link #61
Dxon
Inactive Member

Interesting illusion.
In the beginning she was rotating clockwise. After a while her speed of spinning changed and she started spinning counterclockwise. Then she started clockwise again after a while. Her speed dropped again. In other words you always get clockwise, counterclockwise, clockwise, counterclockwise etc..

Right? ^^

Voted clockwise! ^^
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 05:54   Link #62
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxon View Post
Interesting illusion.
In the beginning she was rotating clockwise. After a while her speed of spinning changed and she started spinning counterclockwise. Then she started clockwise again after a while. Her speed dropped again. In other words you always get clockwise, counterclockwise, clockwise, counterclockwise etc..

Right? ^^

Voted clockwise! ^^
If you see both clockwise and counterclockwise, I think you should have voted half-half. There are some people like me, even after some efforts, are unable to see her spinning counterclockwise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
How does it look like? It looks exactly the same execpt it is moving in the other direction. Other than that, there is no difference in the image.

It is after all just an optical illusion, the brain perceives the image as turning one way or the other.
So it's an optical illusion that allows you to determine whether you are a right-brained or a left-brained person? But if I'm unable to get it to spin anticlockwise (as oppose to those who can if they concentrate), does that mean I will not be able to use my left brain?

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 06:10   Link #63
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Its clockwise but u can change the direction if you focus on the shadows.
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 06:59   Link #64
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist2123 View Post
Its clockwise but u can change the direction if you focus on the shadows.
Thanks! I did it. But now I'm unable to see it in clockwise again...

EDIT: nvm... back to clockwise but now can't get it to anti again...
EDIT2: Your trick works. But it's still hard to switch it at will... Thanks though.
EDIT3: Hehe... I got better at it.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Last edited by teachopvutru; 2008-01-03 at 07:11.
Old 2008-01-03, 11:14   Link #65
Dxon
Inactive Member

Yeah its clockwise but the shadow makes it counterclockwise. ^^
She just spins clockwise but her shadow aint. ^^
Old 2008-01-03, 17:13   Link #66
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
No, I don't think that is what is meant by "half-half". My understanding is that it means you can sometimes see it moving clockwise and other times see it moving anti-clockwise.

Some people can make it change direction as they wish, or at least they can make it change direction if they concentrate.

How does it look like? It looks exactly the same execpt it is moving in the other direction. Other than that, there is no difference in the image.

It is after all just an optical illusion, the brain perceives the image as turning one way or the other.
Actually, I can see the figure spin in a half-circle. It swings counterclockwise halfway, then clockwise 180 degrees.
Twisted Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 18:19   Link #67
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
Counter-clockwise, though it went clockwise after I voted. And now, it goes back and forth. So, half and half would be my real choice I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
I see it clockwise, and it's still turning that way! I can't get it to anticlockwise.
When I meant half and half, it's means not like ya stated. One time it goes clockwise, and one time it goes counter.

ex. It spins clockwise, but when it reaches the middle, it suddenly goes counter clockwise. That's what I meant by this. I really didn't mean for it to confuse you.

Il'll go edit the gif so ya see what i can see too.

Quote:
No, I don't think that is what is meant by "half-half". My understanding is that it means you can sometimes see it moving clockwise and other times see it moving anti-clockwise.

Some people can make it change direction as they wish, or at least they can make it change direction if they concentrate.

Everyone is getting it wrong >.<, lol. I think i am the only person so far who have seen it like that. But i'll wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
If you see both clockwise and counterclockwise, I think you should have voted half-half. There are some people like me, even after some efforts, are unable to see her spinning counterclockwise...
Just for the sake of this thread, well use term "half and half" as what I explained and "both" for seeing both the counterclockwise motion and clockwise motion.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 18:41   Link #68
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Reality View Post
Actually, I can see the figure spin in a half-circle. It swings counterclockwise halfway, then clockwise 180 degrees.
Yes, good description.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
When I meant half and half, it's means not like ya stated. One time it goes clockwise, and one time it goes counter.

ex. It spins clockwise, but when it reaches the middle, it suddenly goes counter clockwise. That's what I meant by this. I really didn't mean for it to confuse you.

Il'll go edit the gif so ya see what i can see too.

Everyone is getting it wrong >.<, lol. I think i am the only person so far who have seen it like that. But i'll wait and see.

Just for the sake of this thread, well use term "half and half" as what I explained and "both" for seeing both the counterclockwise motion and clockwise motion.
I would classify this action as a "bounce". But please note there are two ways you can see "half and half" (or "bounce").

Forward bounce
Imagine the outstretched leg on the right (your right), it then moves clockwise to the left position (so at one point the outstretched leg is pointing towards you). After rotating 180 degrees it changes direction and moves (bounces) anti-clockwise back to the starting position (again, at one point the outstretched leg will be pointing towards you). The outstretched leg will remain "in front" of the rotating figure.

Reverse bounce.
Imagine the outstretched leg on the right (your right), it then moves anti-clockwise to the left position (so at one point the outstretched leg is pointing away you). After rotating 180 degrees it changes direction and moves (bounces) clockwise back to the starting position (again, at one point the outstretched leg will be pointing away you). The outstretched leg will remain "behind" of the rotating figure.

Both these are valid viewpoints that the brain can interpret as movement.

So we can have clockwise, anti-clockwise, forward bounce, reverse bounce and we can have these states flip-flopping during the viewing period (normally they tend to say fixed for several rotations before changing).

I suspect most people can see it rotate mostly clockwise or anti-clockwise. And some people can make it rotate in the direction they wish, clockwise or anti-clockwise (what you call "Both"). Making it "bounce", either way, is a bit more tricky.

BTW, if you want the poll to be edited (to include "bounce" and "both" for example), then let me know
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 20:13   Link #69
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
BTW, if you want the poll to be edited (to include "bounce" and "both" for example), then let me know
If you don't mind ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-01-03, 20:14   Link #70
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
I suspect most people can see it rotate mostly clockwise or anti-clockwise. And some people can make it rotate in the direction they wish, clockwise or anti-clockwise (what you call "Both"). Making it "bounce", either way, is a bit more tricky.
I think there is a way to trick the brain in seeing the counter spin by opening and shutting eyes very fast while looking on it (maybe one should start with a long shut phase and a tiny open phase... and shift the shut/open ratio more to open until both phases are equal in length). In the same time one describes a rotating movement with the mouse in the direction one wants to see the figure spin. Maybe it takes a while but the brain will switch to the intended direction somewhen in the process.

Doing this several times enables the brain to switch more easily.
It is important not to look directly at the figure, instead rather peripheral.

edit:

Your percentage score for the right brain is 55%.
Your percentage score for the left brain is 45%.

this test is very uhm blurred
13) I become uneasy during long verbal explanations. (what is long? 90 minutes? ... then yes I always become "uneasy")

Last edited by Jinto; 2008-01-03 at 20:36.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 20:14   Link #71
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
everyone should try this and post ur results here
http://www.testcafe.com/lbrb/
Your percentage score for the left brain is 61%.
Your percentage score for the right brain is 39%.
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 20:56   Link #72
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Here's mine -

Your percentage score for the right brain is 59%.
Your percentage score for the left brain is 41%.

You are more right-brained than left-brained. The right side of your brain controls the left side of your body. In addition to being known as right-brained, you are also known as a creative thinker who uses feeling and intuition to gather information. You retain this information through the use of images and patterns. You are able to visualize the "whole" picture first, and then work backwards to put the pieces together to create the "whole" picture. Your thought process can appear quite illogical and meandering. The problem-solving techniques that you use involve free association, which is often very innovative and creative. The routes taken to arrive at your conclusions are completely opposite to what a left-brained person would be accustomed. You probably find it easy to express yourself using art, dance, or music. Some occupations usually held by a right-brained person are forest ranger, athlete, beautician, actor/actress, craftsman, and artist.

Old 2008-01-03, 22:33   Link #73
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Left: 68%
Right: 32%

No surprises there. I'm more interested to know whether all our talented graphics designers and artists are all right-dominant or not.
Old 2008-01-03, 22:48   Link #74
KasumiGirl
The endless sky
*Graphic Designer

I can't get it to, as xris named it, "bounce" again. Seems like I can only have her going clockwise now. O.O
KasumiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 01:36   Link #75
EXEs
Hallelujah...

Your percentage score for the right brain is 63%.
Your percentage score for the left brain is 37%.

I'm not surprised, since I've always performed more poorly, and hated logic based subjects (Maths and Physics, I fail tests half the time) more than non-logic based subjects.
EXEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 03:32   Link #76
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Here's mine -

You are more right-brained than left-brained. The right side of your brain controls the left side of your body. In addition to being known as right-brained, you are also known as a creative thinker who uses feeling and intuition to gather information. You retain this information through the use of images and patterns. You are able to visualize the "whole" picture first, and then work backwards to put the pieces together to create the "whole" picture. Your thought process can appear quite illogical and meandering. The problem-solving techniques that you use involve free association, which is often very innovative and creative. The routes taken to arrive at your conclusions are completely opposite to what a left-brained person would be accustomed. You probably find it easy to express yourself using art, dance, or music. Some occupations usually held by a right-brained person are forest ranger, athlete, beautician, actor/actress, craftsman, and artist.
Funny... We get the same score...

I have never thought of myself as right-brain person though...

(Regarding the spinning thing, it seems like if I look at the shadow and imagine the figure spinning anti-clockwise, then it will spin anti-clockwise. Afterward when I look up, it would either for no reason switch to clockwise, or blink and it gets clockwise (although sometime the figure doesn't do that and keeps spinning anti-clockwise...)

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Last edited by teachopvutru; 2008-01-04 at 03:47.
Old 2008-01-04, 04:45   Link #77
Dxon
Inactive Member

I can't seem to understand some questions. Like I don't know what a gesture is. O_o.
gestures. What the heck is that !!!??? <<<<
Some tough talk like. Difficult word talk??
"I found the show entertaining and marvelous".
Over "I found the show awesome!" ?
I dont get it.. :P Help this sucker please!!

[Edit1]
Jaaj for babelfish!! Now I know what gestures is! ^^
I finished the test and this came out:
Your percentage score for the right brain is 53%.
Your percentage score for the left brain is 47%.
Close to a balanced brain! ^^ Balanced (50-50) is better than unbalanced. As they say. ^^
Old 2008-01-04, 08:58   Link #78
KasumiGirl
The endless sky
*Graphic Designer

Your percentage score for the right brain is 53%.
Your percentage score for the left brain is 47%.

Anyways, I was thinking about this pic, and I thought,there should be an answer to "Which way is the girl REALLY going" because the person who created would have had to make it one way or the other. So I saved the images and opened it up on imageready and looks at all the frames. It was going counter clockwise. Though, I would like other people to try this theory of mine. I'm kinda curious weather I am right or not lol.
KasumiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 09:43   Link #79
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasumiGirl View Post
Anyways, I was thinking about this pic, and I thought,there should be an answer to "Which way is the girl REALLY going" because the person who created would have had to make it one way or the other. So I saved the images and opened it up on imageready and looks at all the frames. It was going counter clockwise. Though, I would like other people to try this theory of mine. I'm kinda curious weather I am right or not lol.
Maybe you are right, but only the creator of this animation will know. The girls silhouette does not contain any shade. Therefore it is not possible to say which direction she spins. Imagine what you see is not the frontside of her surface but the backside (surface is transparent on the frontside and opaque on the backside). In that case you see through her to the back. Then the figure will go clockwise.
Imagine the pose where you think her leg is pointing to you. Now imagine you see not the surface but the backface of her. Suddenly you can assume the leg points away from you. This works vice versa. Now since her leg is pointing away you can assume to see her surface. Now try to imagine you look through her at the backface, then you will have once again the feeling that her leg is pointing to you.
So the problem is not to know in which direction the leg moves first, but whether it is pointing to you or away from you.
Old 2008-01-04, 11:37   Link #80
Yaoi_Daisuki
少年愛

Your percentage score for the right brain is 56%.
Your percentage score for the left brain is 44%.

hmm thought that i will score more for right brain. always thought im more right brained since i completely dig in drawing and playing music and completely sux at studies haha

i can sit down and sketch a scenery for 4 hours without knowing the time, i think i can get in right brain state pretty well (according to one of the brain books i read) however how well i draw is a complete different thing LOL
Yaoi_Daisuki is offline   Reply With Quote