AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2005-12-29, 17:38   Link #1
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Most awkward romances

Most awkward romances are Hibiki x Fuko (I My Me Strawberry Eggs), Kaoru Hanabishi x Tina Foster (Ai Yori Aoshi), Hiroyasu Ueda x Yumi Oumura (Chobits) and Keitaro Urashima x Shinobu Maehara (Love Hina).

Hibiki x Fuuko: Both of them were equally confused about their own feelings to each other. Fuuko felt attracted to the female Hibiki but did not understand her feelings, let alone know who the real Hibiki was. She even thought herself to be weird. Hibiki must be surely troubled by thoughts regarding Fuuko daily. Those thoughts are more than platonic. What a strange couple that a pubescent girl and a feminine adult guy cross-dressing as a woman are. That is such an awkward romance.

Kaoru x Tina: Tina had been denying her own feelings for Kaoru in both the anime and manga. She wanted to be his girlfriend but did not have the guts, therefore she kept her feelings to herself, which led to awkward moments between them especially in the love Hotel.

Hiroyasu Ueda x Yumi Oumura: Yumi severed all ties with Ueda because she totally misunderstood Ueda's heart since she found that Ueda is married to a persocom who shared her given name. She had an inferiority complex ever since then. Ueda also misunderstood Yumi's feelings, not fully realizing why she broke up with him, but he respected Yumi's request. Unfortunately, that has but served only to hurt both Ueda and Yumi. The awkward and mutual misunderstanding would never have been solved, had it not been for Hideki and Chii.

Keitaro x Shinobu: Shinobu was attracted to Keitaro but she was young, vulnerable and shy girl whose heart is verily confused. She wants to be his girlfriend but was very timid and hesitant to reach her goal repeatedly.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 23:29   Link #2
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

My vote goes to Kazuto and Valkyrie from UFO Princess. That's just a really messed up relationship.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 23:43   Link #3
milotaku

how about futakoi ones (teh first season)? that ones... is a harem ones :lol:
milotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 23:49   Link #4
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Tatsumi and Ureshiko from Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo. A young man moves to a new town, gets a job at a publishing company, and falls in love with his landlady. Pretty standard so far right?
Spoiler for just in case:
Old 2005-12-30, 03:06   Link #5
jedinat

Yamato Akizuki and Suzuka Asahina in Suzuka. Hands down.

Someone should kill them both and put them out of their misery.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 03:46   Link #6
Thelastguardian

Try this one here.

Japanese anime stories alway have a limit when they are talking about 'love' relationship between brother and sister- that is, they are never blood-related.

Not this one though.
Old 2005-12-30, 06:20   Link #7
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Some goes up for Koi Kaze. The brother/sister bit made it so uncomfortable to watch (yet to enjoyable to watch), not to mention the fact that he was nearly twice her age I think.
Old 2005-12-30, 06:24   Link #8
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Some goes up for Koi Kaze. The brother/sister bit made it so uncomfortable to watch (yet to enjoyable to watch), not to mention the fact that he was nearly twice her age I think.
Don't forget his penchant for panty sniffing. And the fact that he was an idiot ranking up there with the guys from KgNE and Suzuka.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 07:24   Link #9
Cinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
Yamato Akizuki and Suzuka Asahina in Suzuka. Hands down.

Someone should kill them both and put them out of their misery.
They really do need to get shot >_<
Cinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 07:30   Link #10
Eclipze

Do Akane and Kazu(mai hime) count? though Kazu was "shot" already
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 08:17   Link #11
MakotoFatora
Yes

Send a message via AIM to MakotoFatora
Hmm, I'm not sure what connotation of "awkward" is being used, whether it's "uneasy/nervous" or "unexpected/strange"...(or both!)

But for awkward ("unexpected") romance, mine goes to....

Satsuki and 'The Beast' - "X" - I mean seriously. Love with an android? Okay, easy enough. Love with AI program who looks and acts very human (AI Love You)? Okay, sounds good. Love with a big metal thing the size of a small car shaped kind of like a giant kidney bean? ALERT, ALERT. But, that's part of what made it unique I guess.

For awkward as in "uneasy"...I'm with stelok about Hibiki and Fuuko from IMMSE. That was just...I dunno. Even I was feeling weird imagining that one, but it was there, and at the end I was actually pretty PO'd. Well, extremely PO'd. After all that, I was about to yell at the tv screen I was so mad.
Old 2005-12-31, 01:59   Link #12
Epi
Otaku++

Incest-specific animes aside... I'd say:

Macross - Minmay and Linn Kaifun.

Linn IS HER COUSIN FOR GOD'S SAKE. WHY WHY WHY does no one ever comment on this to Hikaru and why doesn't he realize this? I mean Macross wasn't an incest anime, so why does it make sense that Minmay and Linn would be having any sort of relationship that Hikaru would be jealous of at all?!
Epi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 02:23   Link #13
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The ban on intercousin relationships isn't that widespread. (Does it exist anywhere outside the North America?)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 02:40   Link #14
TrueKnight

The most annoying ones are the brother-sister relationships (ie. Canvas 2, Da Capo, Shuffle) , enough to have my eyes bleeds and really explains the Japanese Otakus mentallity. Just look at Shakugan no Shana on how the Blond Twins did their stuff, just plain disgusting and stupid beyond imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh Minh
The ban on intercousin relationships isn't that widespread. (Does it exist anywhere outside the North America?)
Japan, China and some of eastern countries. The west used to practiced them until its banned the late 17th century because the discovery of genetic failures .
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 03:07   Link #15
providence
!!!

most "disgusting" romance: shinn/luna - barf

most "annoying" romance: ippo/kumi - get it on already!

most "weird" romance: bro/sis in koi kaze - nicely done but still weird
providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 07:20   Link #16
Pippin4242

FTR, I think most of Europe doesn't go there...

Hn, you already got Yumi and Manger Ueda, so I guess mine would have to be... Sagara Souske and Kaname Chidori from FMP, and Mazaki Anzu and Yami no Yuugi from Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Souske grew up on the battlefield, but he's shy and reserved, wheras Kaname is a pretty much ordinary civilian... who is about a hundred times as violent as poor Souske! Every time the military otaku gets it wrong she'll be standing behind him waiting to hit him with her fan or just punch him. Plus she doesn't want to fall in love with him.

Anzu is definitely attracted to the Yami no Yuugi. But he's been dead 3000 years and inhabits the body of her childhood friend. And he isn't interested in romaincin'. I think Anzu's problems pretty much beat all. :P

*~Pips~*
Pippin4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 08:03   Link #17
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Eureka 7 has some pretty messed up and awkward relationships - Renton & Eureka (genuinely awkward but cute), Holland & Tahlo (mutually bitter), Anemone & Dominic (wierd), Anemone & Dewey (wierdx3), Ray & Charles Beams (bonkers).
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 08:14   Link #18
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin4242
FTR, I think most of Europe doesn't go there...

Hn, you already got Yumi and Manger Ueda, so I guess mine would have to be... Sagara Souske and Kaname Chidori from FMP, and Mazaki Anzu and Yami no Yuugi from Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Souske grew up on the battlefield, but he's shy and reserved, wheras Kaname is a pretty much ordinary civilian... who is about a hundred times as violent as poor Souske! Every time the military otaku gets it wrong she'll be standing behind him waiting to hit him with her fan or just punch him. Plus she doesn't want to fall in love with him.
It's the standard anime rule of "Even the greatest anime warrior cannot block an attack from an angry schoolgirl."

Another pretty messed up relationship I should note is Nyu/Lucy and wanta from Elfen Leid. I mean, split personalities asside that's one hell of a messed up situation.
Old 2006-01-04, 15:18   Link #19
Epi
Otaku++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
In that case they should have changed it at least for the Robotech dub... that aired in North America and a 3-year old me saw it on TV for goodness sake
Epi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 16:30   Link #20
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight
The most annoying ones are the brother-sister relationships (ie. Canvas 2, Da Capo, Shuffle) , enough to have my eyes bleeds and really explains the Japanese Otakus mentallity. Just look at Shakugan no Shana on how the Blond Twins did their stuff, just plain disgusting and stupid beyond imagination..

There are no brother/sister relationships in SHUFFLE! or Canvas 2.
Hiroki and Elis are not siblings despite her calling him "oniichan." They are cousins though.

And SHUFFLE!, I don't know where you got a brother/sister relationship in there. And of course in Da Capo, one is adopted.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote