AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-09, 08:47   Link #261
sa547
*Author

The OP song really caught me, and love her breathy singing... Sounds familiar... YEAH! Same girl from Denpa Onna.
Old 2011-07-09, 09:21   Link #262
SeaDoor

Well, that first episode was unexpected. Me like.

Funny, after having watched it, I kept feeling vibes from another series but I
just couldn't put my finger on it. Finally decided that this episode kind of
reminded me of the first episode of Abenobashi how it starts with bad news,
something significant happens then chaos erupts.

Hope I didn't jinx things...
Old 2011-07-09, 09:42   Link #263
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

First episode was really fantastic *_* Totally hooked to it now xD

I'm not really into penguins... much less on stuff toys or plushies.... BUT DO WANT:
Old 2011-07-09, 10:06   Link #264
Tiberium Wolf

Lazy animators. Couldn't even find time to draw the public.
Old 2011-07-09, 10:30   Link #265
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
An older person (guy or girl, this isn't the point) stealing a kiss to someone who is asleep knowing that he/she would most certainly disagree to the act if he/she was conscious doesn't attract any sympathy from me.
Even if the two weren't related by blood, I'd disagree with Kanba's acts. But them being siblings only further my feeling that he betrayed her in that scene. Which I hope he will come to regret later...
You're too serious. Her possessed self was nude in front of him and very literally stole his heart in that scene before the kiss. I knew he was going to do something after that.

The girl had Jack and the Beanstalk and Alice in Wonderland on her night table.

It's actually considered romantic for a girl to be waken up by her prince. It will prob be handled positively (treated as consensual) in the next episode. Her possessed self chose him for a reason.

Besides you don't know if they are blood siblings. Even if they were, the couple in Koi Kaze did more than just a kiss.

Last edited by orion; 2011-07-09 at 10:42.
Old 2011-07-09, 10:52   Link #266
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

I need one of those penguin plushies ;__; But I'll be cautious before to throw my money at them. For all we know, they could well turn out to be some kind of not so nice creatures. We already know they have great powers, next is to see how they use it...

Also, was rewatching episode 1 and notice that particular ending sequence :

Spoiler for speculation - Red string if fate:

Maybe not the first time this correlation is brought up but will certainly enjoy seeing if Ikuhara goes along with this idea and how.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Besides you don't know if they are blood siblings. Even if they were, the couple in Koi Kaze did more than just a kiss.
I decided not to watch Koi Kaze for this exact reason. Also, if they are not blood related, why the hell is Kanba so tormented? That would be a cheap trick to pull on behalf of Ikuhara. He is more daring than that.
Also, the fact that a possessed girl take your heart (are we sure that was it?) in a parallel world which could well be just a dream doesn't give you any right to steal a kiss from her.
Old 2011-07-09, 10:55   Link #267
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
Did Ikuhara just make penguins cool
Penguins are always cool. Especially when they have hoverboards.
Old 2011-07-09, 11:06   Link #268
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
Did Ikuhara just make penguins cool, cuz I think he pulled it off.
I guess you have not seen the Penguin in Evangelion.
Old 2011-07-09, 11:10   Link #269
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Also, the fact that a possessed girl take your heart (are we sure that was it?) in a parallel world which could well be just a dream doesn't give you any right to steal a kiss from her.
That depends... It isn't about whether he had any rights to steal the kiss, but whether he is still under control of his mental facilities and as such, could he truly be blamed.

Something was done to him. Something non-trivial. It might be too early to assume he had any choice in the matter.
Old 2011-07-09, 11:36   Link #270
Ziziphus
Whatever

*jumps on the what the hell did I just watch and why is it so awesome?! bandwagon*

Some stray observations:
  • Who among the three siblings covered their house with all that cutesy girly stuff? I don't think it's Kanba, and Himari is ill most of the time, so that leaves only Shouma. Hmm...
  • So are the three penguins representatives of the three siblings or what? No.1 = Kanba; no. 2 = Shouma; no.3 = Himari. And of course no.3 is the lead.
  • The two girls with Himari in the ED look like the two mascots that appeared on the train. We can also see them in their house in the form of an ornament.
  • Is that a Utena cameo I see in the OP?
  • Someone needs to add a 'penguin' tag to this thread.
Damn penguins! I can't stop laughing whenever I see those bastards. Now where can I get one?
Old 2011-07-09, 11:42   Link #271
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I did not know what to expect going into this one - only knew it was going to be strange. And I was right. But for all that I kinda liked it. Go figure.

Anyway - a sick girl being possessed (and healed - is the mask a "parasite" of some sort?) by a spirit in a mask so that something known as a "penguin drum" (some kind of bizarre magic item?) can be found and then the possessed girl doing some kind of "initiation ritual" on her brothers (in an alternate dream world?) which seemed to involve something close to yanking out the heart of one of her brothers at least.... Oh yeah - I forgot to mention the "spirit attendant" penguins ... and the list goes on.

Just ... weird.

But if you take out the dimension of the penguins the storyline is a good one and actually reminds me of a type of storyline adventure one would see in an RPG.

So, all in all - I am gonna keep watching this one.
Old 2011-07-09, 11:44   Link #272
Slick_rick

Excellent first episode. Everything I could have hoped for. I thought the episode was pretty straightforward at least for Ikuhara.

The two boys talking about Campanella and the other passengers is a reference to night on the galactic railroad. It seems he might have drawn a lot of inspiration from that story for this one. I can also see the train being a metaphor for fate, predetermined stops until the final destination(death).

I have no problem with him kissing her in the sleep as long as it as that's where it ended. I'm having bad flashbacks to Utena on that one. I'm also wondering what that phone call he had at the aquarium was about. Something tells me its wasn't on the up and up.

Loved the transformation scene, op, and Ed. Really looking forward to see some of the other characters, they all look interesting especially loving the Juri lookalike.
Old 2011-07-09, 12:06   Link #273
Ziziphus
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
The two boys talking about Campanella and the other passengers is a reference to night on the galactic railroad. It seems he might have drawn a lot of inspiration from that story for this one. I can also see the train being a metaphor for fate, predetermined stops until the final destination(death).
Haven't read that title myself, I don't really understand their talk and how it relates to apples (any clarification about that would be greatly appreciated by me btw), but the train metaphor seems logical and may be what Ikuhara had in mind. But what I really need to know is how everything links back to... penguins at the end.

And YAY for 'penguin' tag!
Old 2011-07-09, 12:10   Link #274
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
Haven't read that title myself, I don't really understand their talk and how it relates to apples (any clarification about that would be greatly appreciated by me btw), but the train metaphor seems logical and may be what Ikuhara had in mind. But what I really need to know is how everything links back to... penguins at the end.

And YAY for 'penguin' tag!
Basically three of the passengers we meet on the train had died on probably the Titanic or just a ship that hit an iceberg. The young man had tried to save the two children but was unable to and drowned with them. A farmer was on the train with them would also died and had a bunch of apples and gave it to them as a reward or way of consoling them.
Old 2011-07-09, 12:13   Link #275
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Anyway - a sick girl being possessed (and healed - is the mask a "parasite" of some sort?) by a spirit in a mask [...]
Suddenly reminding me of Alien9
Old 2011-07-09, 12:14   Link #276
zero7090

Quote:
I don't know about Triple_R but in my case it's the dynamic of the big brother who clearly desires his younger sister and go as far as taking advantage of her who makes me uncomfortable. And this is only episode 1...

An older person (guy or girl, this isn't the point) stealing a kiss to someone who is asleep knowing that he/she would most certainly disagree to the act if he/she was conscious doesn't attract any sympathy from me.
Even if the two weren't related by blood, I'd disagree with Kanba's acts. But them being siblings only further my feeling that he betrayed her in that scene. Which I hope he will come to regret later...
well yeah, i also do feel he betrayed his brother and sister, kinda NTR like feeling. In the mean time we can only hope the show wont go down to the ntr + fanservice xform path
Old 2011-07-09, 12:16   Link #277
BakaOnna

Awesome first episode. Probably my favorite of the season. It's also the only one that I rewatched. I've also been reading around and found that the lines the little boys were speaking off about how "the apple is the center of the universe" is a reference from Night On the Galactic Railroad. Also, reading through this informative entry, which I also noticed the 2nd time watching, there's tons of penguins to be found in photographs and drawings/sketches before they even appeared.

Also, this blog also provide some rather insightful analysis of the train imagery used throughout the episode.

Finally, to those complaining about the incest at the end, I'm pretty sure they'll be some sort of explanation for it. The brother only started acting strangely after she pull, what was it, his heart out of his chest. Maybe the whole "Survival Strategy" ended up changing his mind slightly? It would also explain his line before he kissed her, which sounded along the lines of "I know this is wrong and we are programmed not to do this". I mean, besides the morality issue with incest, the other problem with it is it causes genetic defects and mutations in the offspring, which would lower the its survival. Maybe the "Survival" part is referring to evolutionary/animal survival, where those that are able to produce viable offspring survive while those that don't, well, die.
Old 2011-07-09, 12:28   Link #278
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Well, that was a bit odd.

I was pretty much just going with things and despite being strange, most of it at least seemed to make some sense. Then Himari shouts "SURVIVAL STRATEGY" and everything got incredibly weird(er).

Good first episode I'd say though. Very colorful in terms of animation and I like the style of things such as the signs, the people outside of speaking characters, and other such things. Their house was also quite imaginative as well I thought.

Curious as to whether Kanba's comments about it punishment are meant to hint towards some dark secret in their past, perhaps relating to their parents. Going by Shouma's reaction, I'd definitely consider it a possibility.

Is there any particular reason that Ringo was shedding all the clothes in some sort of reverse of the typical transformation you usually see with this sort of thing?

I'll admit the kiss and potential for incest creeped me out. This seems be a topic Ikuhara likes to explore so I'd assume it will probably become a large part of the story. Though if Kanba has somehow been brainwashed into this by whatever Ringo did to him, that's just as creepy. Not too sure though. Perhaps all she did was remove his inhibitions on the matter.

In any case, interested to see where this is going. Good batch of shows this season. Haven't had this many I plan to keep track of in quite some time.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 2011-07-09, 13:05   Link #279
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Yikes the thread moved on quicker than I thought but still no duckroll?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I thought of Madoka Magica too, in the sense of this being a show of big talents that could take on a quasi-religious following. But the more I thought of it the less I think it holds, not just for the reasons that you suggest but because MM was a true melding of several giants in the industry. MPD does have Lily Hoshino's character designs but really, this is a one-man show. It's Ikuhara's mad vision and it's on him whether it succeeds or crashes like a meteor with all the fires of hell.

I think Blood-C is actually a closer comparison to MM in some ways. Some big hitters in the industry trying to meld styles that don't immediately seem 100% compatible.
I do think that the comparison would be more accurate with Blood-C now that you mentioned that one, though it's still a bit safer since CLAMP already has an exciting fan base who'd get their stuff regardless, and Blood is an already established property.

But any way, I do agree with you that this is Ikuhara's baby. He is going to raise it to be whatever he wants it to be, so at the moment we are getting his vision more than anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Spoiler most people likely missed it, including me:

Spoiler for Family Photo:
And the dissection begins
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
-Let's react a bit more to people reviving right in front of you
-The voice actors... Especially the girl's. When she isn't raising her voice, there isn't much of a problem, but when she begins to talk louder... Talk about a straight line...
-They did react to it, but the show sort of glosses over it other than the two being dumbfounded and happy that their sister came back to life. Heck, even the doctor had a similar reaction and just said it was a miracle. I mean, putting myself in their place, if my sister all of the sudden came back to life, I would be more grateful than scared that she came back at all.

-I agree that the voice acting isn't all that great. Or rather, the voices don't really fit. That's the one aspect of the show I'd didn't like so far, but I hope that I get used to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
So would we all . Too bad it seems that no pictures have ever made it to the Internet.
Yeah, it's strange. You'd figure you'd find that picture readily available. The most fruity picture I could find of him was that panther leather pants pic, and the recent ones don't seem as extravagant anymore
Quote:
I particularly like the eyecatch where it seems that we've progressed to the next stop. It's so intuitive and effective I'm not sure why nobody has done it before.
For starters, it's really hard to pull of. I mean the closest thing I had seen for unusual transitions was with SHAFT (whom I feel we'll be mentioning a lot here for better or for worse) and even then ... I also think since the train station being an integral part of the plot would mean that this sort of style fits perfectly as well.
Quote:
I love that scene with the friend. We get introduced to another character, we learn quite a bit about her, and all of this in a 15-second sequence where she barely says a word. Instead, it's all told through clever direction, blocking and shot composition.

In a lot of other shows, the background characters are given cursory body shapes and blobs of color to flesh out crowd scenes, but here Ikuhara decided that there was no need to draw them as real people at all! Making them all look like figures on street signs just works all the better. I also really love the way that hands are animated - they're just so expressive and thematically resonant. This episode alone puts to rest any doubts that Utena was as good as it was because of Ikuhara himself. Sure the rest of the staff was great on that show, but it's pretty obvious who the driving force was.
No disagreement here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Having just read through the last several pages, I'm a little surprised I didn't see more comments on just how much the style of this seemed to reflect a lot of Shinbo ala Bakemonogatari - particularly the use of signs and white space. Regardless of the source of this one man force of nature behind this series, the style seemed a bit more Shaft than Brain Base.

Then again, I was feeling by the end of this that Shaft was cleverly doing the Madoka second season they hinted at, but changing Sayaka and Mami into guys this time...
I can say with certainty that this wont be related to Madoka at all. As far as it goes, SHAFT has no influence here.

Also, the reason why you don't see a lot of comments about this being a reflection of Shinbo is that aside from Ikuhara preceding him (so it would be more appropriate to say that Bakemonogatari is a reflection of Utena, though that still wouldn't be right), the two are very very different in how they each compose and create their shows, as well as the style being unique to each one.

The way Shinbo approaches his scenes is by making sure that the viewer maintains full attention on the visual aspect of the episode. To him, being stylish is far more important than following the script. He likes to have everything focus on certain details either to trick the viewer or hint at future developments.

Ikuhara, on the other hand, is a whole lot more symbolic. Sure, Shinbo likes using symbolism in his work, but Ikuhara creates his shows with it in mind from the ground up. Every frame is referencing something, every still has a secret, and the more a show unfolds the more things become apparent to us, not only the more obvious things (the apple) but the subtle, hidden and obscure as well.

Also, with Ikuhara, the visuals are used more as a driving force for the plot (or for the characters) so it's more often to see that what you seen here will have a far more profound meaning as time goes on and we get to learn more about the cast (in comparison, Shinbo is different in regard, where he likes to use the characters and plot as a means to do more creative visuals, which ends up at times hurting the stories (not often though))

Both men I enjoy their work greatly, but if I were to pick favorites, I'd go with Ikuhara since his style is as close as an anime got to being artistic innovative.
Old 2011-07-09, 13:20   Link #280
gsilver

Quote:
I need one of those penguin plushies ;__; But I'll be cautious before to throw my money at them. For all we know, they could well turn out to be some kind of not so nice creatures.
That, in no way, diminishes my interest in a Kyubey plushie.

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism