AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-11, 11:32   Link #1
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Sentou Yousei Yukikaze (Novel)

SF novel by Kambayashi Chouhei and published by Hayakawa.

There are currently three novels in the series.

The first two, Sentou Yousei Yukikaze and Good Luck Yukikaze are also available in English.

The third, Unbroken Arrow was released in July 2009.

synopsis:

Spoiler:

Easily one of the best Japanese SF out there. The philosophical questions that are prevalent throughout the books are thought provoking and are the main strength of the series. And of course, Yukikaze herself is easily the main draw.
Old 2013-04-16, 04:45   Link #2
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Thread necromancy time.

Yukikaze is getting a live-action movie and a certain Tom Cruise will play a role in it.

Quote:
It was announced Monday that Cruise has been signed to star in "Yukikaze," an adaptation of the classic Japanese sci-fi novel from author Chohei Kambayashi.

Already the basis of a series of popular anime releases, "Yukikaze" follows the adventures of the FAF, a planetary defense force who are battling an aggressive alien invasion. When it's discovered the aliens made their way to Earth using a wormhole in space and time that has appeared over Antarctica, the FAF use it to travel back to the invaders' home planet and halt the attacks.

To the mods: sorry for reviving a thread that's been dead for over a year, but this was IMHO the best place to post this - especially since information is scarce and wont to change in the future.
Old 2013-04-16, 06:57   Link #3
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Tom Cruise as an Ace Pilot.

This sounds familiar......

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-04-16, 07:31   Link #4
Helius

As much as I'm exited by this news (Yukikaze getting live-action treatment, not the Tom Cruise bit ), I can't help but feel frustrated that I DON'T GET TO MAKE ONE NOW!!!

Lol I always think Yukikaze would work great as a live-action movie, tho I wonder about the extent to which they'll stay close to the original materials (novels + OVA) in terms of themes and characterisations.

The OVA had absolutely beautiful visuals and BGM and it did an amzing job conveying a sense of trance, realism and isolation which makes watching it a really enjoyable experience.

If Tom Cruise is as much a japanophile as he's made out to be, I hope he and those involved will have the good sense not to substitute what makes the OVA such a masterpiece with bombastic action and silly plot lines a la Stealth and indeed Top Gun all for the sake of commerciality.
Old 2013-04-16, 08:28   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

So this is what becomes of the rumored Top Gun 2 project.

Joking aside, Yukikaze OVA is excellent in terms of both visual and story. IMO It’s actually should be easy for Hollywood to adapt it. The question of course (like Helius said) would be how faithful the adaptation will be. I don’t want this to become the next Bayformers (chick & splosions, derp plot). Anyway, since Cruise will most likely be the MC, there’s no chance that the character’s name (Rei Fukai) will remain intact. I’m afraid they’re going to “whitewash” this adaptation to some degree. *sigh*
Old 2013-04-16, 08:43   Link #6
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Wow...

Of course they won't be able to keep the philosophical aspect of the novels but as long as they keep Rombert and his conversion to JAM good, I'm happy.
Old 2013-04-16, 09:34   Link #7
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Anyway, since Cruise will most likely be the MC, there’s no chance that the character’s name (Rei Fukai) will remain intact. I’m afraid they’re going to “whitewash” this adaptation to some degree. *sigh*
"Whitewashing" is a given. Then again, pretty much every main character except Rei is a non-oriental so that's not a big issue which is probably what prompted them to want to adapt it in the first place.

That said, I wouldn't be sure that Cruise will be playing Fukai Rei. He's more suitable for Bukhar imo. Then they can just leave the role of Rei for whatever young star they have lined up for it.
Old 2013-04-16, 11:35   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
That said, I wouldn't be sure that Cruise will be playing Fukai Rei. He's more suitable for Bukhar imo. Then they can just leave the role of Rei for whatever young star they have lined up for it.
I do hope so. The MC really need to be played by Asian guy and named Fukai Rei. What I'm afraid of is if they decide to whitewash the MC by casting a pretty white boy and changed the character's name into Frank Ray .