2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-12-02, 23:23   Link #121
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
i sure hope that virtue loses the bulky armor for a more agile form.
Spoiler for Sure, why not?:
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 00:10   Link #122
Calawain
Gaijin

Wow, the first episode where both sides use real tactics, and nothing lame and retarded. First episode worth of a rating above 7.
Calawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 00:31   Link #123
juventas

What the heck is the Ptolemy doing without weapons?! Did they not predict it would eventually see battle?
juventas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 00:45   Link #124
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by juventas View Post
What the heck is the Ptolemy doing without weapons?! Did they not predict it would eventually see battle?
What would the Ptolemy be doing WITH weapons?
Considering it houses CB's field command, it shouldn't be engaging in battle. Even if it did have weapons, I doubt it'd be very effective (look how many Tierens the HRL brought with them).
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 00:49   Link #125
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by juventas View Post
The Ptolemaios is designed specifically as a carrier and rear support unit for the Gundams, and is armed only with a missile system for minimal defensive capability, forcing it to rely primarily on the mobile suits for protection. Additionally, as the ship's power reserves are charged from the Gundams' onboard GN Drives, if all four units are launched, its running time is drastically reduced. When at least one of the Gundams are docked, the ship has demonstrated the capacity to produce a GN particle barrier.

Apparently you skipped the part where it's stated there has to at least be one gundam on the ptolemaios.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 01:36   Link #126
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
The Ptolemaios is designed specifically as a carrier and rear support unit for the Gundams, and is armed only with a missile system for minimal defensive capability, forcing it to rely primarily on the mobile suits for protection. Additionally, as the ship's power reserves are charged from the Gundams' onboard GN Drives, if all four units are launched, its running time is drastically reduced. When at least one of the Gundams are docked, the ship has demonstrated the capacity to produce a GN particle barrier.
you know, speaking of that, wasn't it pretty stupid of Sumeragi to move the Ptolemaios into a position that wouldn't even allow communication? I mean being a command center for the Gundam's missions seems to be the half the point of the thing.
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 01:52   Link #127
qx123

Maybe she was just desperate.
Under normal circumstances they ought to discover earlier.
But due to someone who screwed up... they were too late to
response.Out of desperation she just tried to go to that
position hoping to get out of the messy situation.
qx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 02:30   Link #128
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Watched the Conclave-Mendoi sub of Episode 9.

I'm not too hot on the way Sunrise suddenly shifted into the events of Episode 9 from Episode 8, without any clear plot linkage between the two episodes. They simply didn't give enough time to show Sergei planning the whole shebang he cooked up for the Gundam capture mission, or in fact the entire buildup to the current happenings in general.

Otherwise, a fairly decent episode. A nice dose of character development, and for once, an actual semblance of battle tactics instead of the typical Gundam-pWning-grunts scenarios. And at the end, a decently-done cliffhanger that leaves one wanting to know what happens next. Not much actual action, on the other hand, but since this is a lead-up episode, I don't mind that much.

This episode was decent; at the very least, a lot better than the travesty that was Episode 8. I only wished they had used Episode 8 as the buildup to this episode, instead of the utterly pointless Setsuna-meets-Marina plothax that it was. Enough for a 7/10.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 02:42   Link #129
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Watched the Conclave-Mendoi sub of Episode 9.

I'm not too hot on the way Sunrise suddenly shifted into the events of Episode 9 from Episode 8, without any clear plot linkage between the two episodes. They simply didn't give enough time to show Sergei planning the whole shebang he cooked up for the Gundam capture mission, or in fact the entire buildup to the current happenings in general.

Otherwise, a fairly decent episode. A nice dose of character development, and for once, an actual semblance of battle tactics instead of the typical Gundam-pWning-grunts scenarios. And at the end, a decently-done cliffhanger that leaves one wanting to know what happens next. Not much actual action, on the other hand, but since this is a lead-up episode, I don't mind that much.

This episode was decent; at the very least, a lot better than the travesty that was Episode 8. I only wished they had used Episode 8 as the buildup to this episode, instead of the utterly pointless Setsuna-meets-Marina plothax that it was. Enough for a 7/10.
There have been battle tactics already for both sides, it's just that Celestial beings had both better preparation and vastly superior equipment. In almost all scenarios they have used to elements of surprise, position and teamwork to overwhelm the opposition.

When the group hasn't followed the planned scenario is when they've run into trouble, like with Setsuna breaking off to engage Ali and struggling, eventually having Lockon stop the fight resulting in a tie (who knows what the result would have been otherwise). Also there was Kyrios breaking off to help the falling colony block and requiring quick assistance from Lockon to succeed. In fact if Sergei had wanted to then, he and his group could have easily roughed up Kyrios and captured it in it's position.

I agree though, it's nice to see the other side show they can do the same as well and not just play the defensive role.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 02:54   Link #130
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride View Post
Chall is still alive
There is a little conspiracy theory with that... The current Chall look nothing like the Chall of 15 years ago.

I mean, her hair and eyes were different colors! The 00P Chall had blue eyes and is a Brunette...
http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?i...astrea1ax2.png
but the 00F Chall is a platinum blond and resemble the older form of a different pilot from 00P!
http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?i...0astreatv4.jpg

You might try to blame it on artist errors or mysterious SciFi cosmetic surgery. But currently there are some of us who believe there had been a bait-and-switch. Gundam Meister 874 is wrapped in mystery as she is, but her resemblance to a younger 00F Chall is just too much of a coincidence...

So the 00P Chall could still be Felt's mother!
Old 2007-12-03, 02:58   Link #131
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
There is a little conspiracy theory with that... The current Chall look nothing like the Chall of 15 years ago.

I mean, her hair and eyes were different colors! The 00P Chall had blue eyes and is a Brunette...
but the 00F Chall is a platinum blond and resemble the older form of a different pilot from 00P!
http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?i...0astreatv4.jpg

You might try to blame it on artist errors or mysterious SciFi cosmetic surgery. But currently there are some of us who believe there had been a bait-and-switch. Gundam Meister 874 is wrapped in mystery as she is, but her resemblance to a younger Chall is just too much of a coincidence...
15 years is a long time to change in appearance, also there is mention in her official profile that Chall stopped being a Gundam Meister after an incident that caused her to gain her scar and the white hair, so the discoloration is intentional in terms of character plot.

We'll see where this conspiracy theories of your go when additional chapters are released.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 03:01   Link #132
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
15 years is a long time to change in appearance, also there is mention in her official profile that Chall stopped being a Gundam Meister after an incident that caused her to gain her scar and the white hair, so the discoloration is intentional in terms of character plot.

We'll see where this conspiracy theories of your go when additional chapters are released.
How about the fact that Meister 874 look EXACTLY like Chall of 00F?

I know, more evidence is needed. But we can't discount the possibility.
Old 2007-12-03, 03:07   Link #133
4Tran

Well, well. This may prove to be the best episode of Gundam 00 so far. It's certainly the best written, and I'm rather surprised at the quality of the choreography. The combat in this episode is possibly the best since episode 29 of Seed. It seems that the creators have stopped trying to put so much background information into each episode, and we may have finally reached some plot development. However, I can't be sure this one is still chock full of exposition. As a result, the direction still isn't very good. Still, episode 9 is a step in the right direction, and I hope that they can keep it up.

Further points:
- The AEU's public position on Celestial Being smacks of cowardice. It'd be equivalent of a country saying, "You attacked our country and killed our people, and we're going to let you get away with it unless you do it again!" The Union's response is the same, but they have less cause for wiping out Celestial Being. Thankfully, what the blocs are doing is probably quite different from what they say they're doing.
- I was hoping that someone in-universe would be able to figure out that the GN disruption effect doesn't really confer much of an advantage.
- It's surprising that Ptolemaios has such a small crew; it'd make much more sense for the bridge to be manned at all times.
- Sumeragi shouldn't have assumed that she was facing Sergei simply because he employed a famous tactic that he'd used years ago. If it's a noteworthy tactic, it'd be passed along to other officers as well. Also, she committed the sin of dividing her forces in the presence of the enemy even though she would be unable to communicate with them.
- Sergei should have targeted Ptolemaios first. It'd be much easier to capture Gundams if their mobile base is destroyed or crippled. Besides, a mobile suit that's trying to defend a target wouldn't be as capable of defending itself. In any case, Sergei is still the most impressive character in the show.
- What the heck was Ptolemaios doing so close to the orbital ring to begin with? If they knew that they'd be vulnerable during the overhaul, then wouldn't it make more sense to stay from enemy-controlled structures?
- This episode is a setup that'll be continued next episode; so far, Gundam 00 setups are quite decent (for example, the bombings in episode 7), but they've flubbed the payoff. Let's hope that they manage to buck the trend this time around.
- So far the episodes that don't try to talk much about geopolitics have been much better than the ones that do. Unfortunately, there's no real way to avoid the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
That's cause the Moralian army were woeful unprepared and had men who were insufficiently trained. The Gundams have always controlled the battle up until now with there pre battle strategizing and strict mission structure. Remove that total supremacy and the Gundams will have trouble.
Alternatively, the Gundams have always been on the offensive, and held the initiative. When the shoe's on the other foot, they don't perform anywhere nearly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata
Sumeragi's reply to Allelujah about "what if we just happen to be attacked while doing maintenance" seems rather like breaking the Fourth Wall to me - she basically says "if we're attacked now, the gods must have it in for us". It's a bit like saying "Even the best dice player can throw snake-eyes". Practically saying to the viewers that it's not going to be their lucky day.
They've been constantly doing this. It's even more noticeable in the previous episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata
Of course, you could argue that she should have had the ship moved a lot further away from any potential enemies to reduce the possibility of encountering them (the HRL guy was surprised how close CB were). However, going into that level of detail would just make the story a drag in TV anime.
Again, this is a storytelling shortcut the creators have been using throughout Gundam 00. This is perhaps the first time they've used it to inconvenience the heroes, so it's much more aesthetically pleasing than the previous uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1
To all of you people who doubt that the last episode had problems, the next one doesn't and it is really picking up steam.
This is mostly because this episode has nothing to do with episode 8.
Old 2007-12-03, 04:31   Link #134
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
i sure hope that virtue loses the bulky armor for a more agile form.
I wonder if Virtue will become the RX-78-2 lookalike with phoenix wings
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 05:14   Link #135
Hage-bai
Banned

My what an interesting episode. I learnt a few things... The crew on Ptolemy are inept, all bust and little brain. Sumeragi got owned and Christina seems like she is a pleeb who fits more with the Archangel CE crew.

Initial results for their first battle is not satisfactory. Less time wearing bikinis and more time preparing for battle and not under-estimting your enemy would serve them better. Lets see if the eye-candy learn from their mistakes or if they are truly what they've been made out to be so far.
Hage-bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 06:08   Link #136
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hage-bai View Post
Christina seems like she is a pleeb who fits more with the Archangel CE crew.
Christina is worse than Archangel CE crew, she's all happy-go-lucky when she's killing people, but she goes all whiny when her own life is on the line, I thought she was well-trained, but now she's like a kid playing NDS then realized the monsters from the NDS can actually get out and kill her

Another interesting thing from this ep is that the Celestial Beings are not immortal after all, their Gundam Meisters can get killed, that's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
- What the heck was Ptolemaios doing so close to the orbital ring to begin with? If they knew that they'd be vulnerable during the overhaul, then wouldn't it make more sense to stay from enemy-controlled structures?
because the orbital ring also distrupts communication, so if they can get close to orbital ring before Sergei's fleet caught them, they'll be able to maneuver about the orbital ring without detection and possibly get away.

Last edited by dreamless; 2007-12-03 at 06:21.
Old 2007-12-03, 06:10   Link #137
Honey_and_Cleaver

Quote:
And the busy life of the normal guy Saji. Oh the delema's he has to deal with. Will he step up and try to keep Louise around? But really good luck to the guy.
That guy has already a great life, he has an awesome cute girlfriend,good education and a unstale life, hes the luckiest idiot in the world, what kind of luck does he needs to be wished more? Stop making as if hes a sorry bastard.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 07:39   Link #138
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Well, well. This may prove to be the best episode of Gundam 00 so far. It's certainly the best written, and I'm rather surprised at the quality of the choreography. The combat in this episode is possibly the best since episode 29 of Seed. It seems that the creators have stopped trying to put so much background information into each episode, and we may have finally reached some plot development. However, I can't be sure this one is still chock full of exposition. As a result, the direction still isn't very good. Still, episode 9 is a step in the right direction, and I hope that they can keep it up.
Seed Destiny had plenty of good fights in early and middle episodes.

Also, I disagree with the writing. The quality of writing has been steady. Nothing really changed in that department. It's just that they didn't need as much political jargoning this time.

Quote:
- The AEU's public position on Celestial Being smacks of cowardice. It'd be equivalent of a country saying, "You attacked our country and killed our people, and we're going to let you get away with it unless you do it again!" The Union's response is the same, but they have less cause for wiping out Celestial Being. Thankfully, what the blocs are doing is probably quite different from what they say they're doing.
Both sides are playing with more tact than HRL creating an open battle operations with CB. More tact politically at least. Also, it has nothing to do with cowardice to protect your own assets and being defensive about it. They know CB reacts to their actions, so they respond accordingly. If you took note of the episode, it seems that the opinion for peace is becoming stronger and that does not go against what AEU and Union are going for right now: to stabilize and continue with status quo.

Quote:
- I was hoping that someone in-universe would be able to figure out that the GN disruption effect doesn't really confer much of an advantage.
They probably realize that and AEU already made a mobile suit that can fight a Gundam, Union has its new brands of mobile suits (only a matter of finding Gundams) and HRL obviously showed a way to skirt the stealth issue.

I have no idea what you're talking about there.

Quote:
- It's surprising that Ptolemaios has such a small crew; it'd make much more sense for the bridge to be manned at all times.
But it seems that it's a civilian group to begin with. No real military discipline at all.

Quote:
- Sumeragi shouldn't have assumed that she was facing Sergei simply because he employed a famous tactic that he'd used years ago. If it's a noteworthy tactic, it'd be passed along to other officers as well. Also, she committed the sin of dividing her forces in the presence of the enemy even though she would be unable to communicate with them.
No, because at FIRST, Sumeragi thought it could've been anyone. The battle's flow was what led them to go into a radio-interference zone, not Sumeragi's predictions. You're not reading the ebbs and flow of the battle.

Quote:
- Sergei should have targeted Ptolemaios first. It'd be much easier to capture Gundams if their mobile base is destroyed or crippled. Besides, a mobile suit that's trying to defend a target wouldn't be as capable of defending itself. In any case, Sergei is still the most impressive character in the show.
You're contradicting yourself a bit. Also, I'm pretty sure it'd be much more of a pain to just go after the ship and expect FOUR Gundams instead of two.

Quote:
Propulsion = detection. In space, the GN drive works as the stealth system for the ship. So it makes sense that they'd otherwise not be worried about how far they're from a station. They got away for all this time after all.

Quote:
Alternatively, the Gundams have always been on the offensive, and held the initiative. When the shoe's on the other foot, they don't perform anywhere nearly as well.
I disagree. It's just that they're vastly outnumbered and their mothership is apparently not a military craft. They're at an intrinsic disadvantage. It has NOTHING to do with the Gundams themselves but their battle situation, which is always against them. Defensively more so because they don't have a full army complementing them.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 07:59   Link #139
Siege

the ship isn't a military unit or at least at this point is unarmed and all this was not helped by sumeragi' plan hypothosis which lead to the gundam split up

but if we're gonna blame anyone i think that moron who didn't notice the cubes and started the engines (he's obviously an idiot christine noticed them immediatley)

setsuna apparently also figured out the lure tactic of the enemy Sumeragi operated under the assumption of there annilation and assumptions lead to difficulties in battle, her first though should be the safety of the gundams
Siege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 08:01   Link #140
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
And Lockon you lolicon! He even says that he is only kind to woman!
More like he's super kind to loli We should all call him Lolickon from now on

On the other hand Felt got to be the best loli of this season she may even have the potential to become the best loli since Ruri Hoshino

Quote:
Alejandro (indirectly Celestial Being) decides to help Marina's country. I wonder what's his plan. Building a secret Celestial Being base in the country?
Seems Celestial Being is among the elite class of all countries in the world, it reminds me of illuminati now. Conspiracy theories FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
But it seems that it's a civilian group to begin with. No real military discipline at all.
well, I think the Ptolemaios may be only a tiny part of CB. It seems the Gundams have more value than the ship, since the ship doesn't even have its own solar furnace to generate the GN particles.