AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-19, 23:31   Link #41
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
that
that's nice and all, but it doesn't matter

in the story, ace brought up the ritual of becoming brothers through sharing a cup of sake, and then all three of them shared a cup of sake

whether or not they were brothers in the past shouldn't even be an issue. the only reason it would be an issue in the present is dependent on if Sabo is alive or dead
Old 2010-05-19, 23:46   Link #42
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trafalgarcito View Post
i thought the grey terminal was going to play a more important role, but its only a regular dumpster for the gao empire?? (that would be dissapointing) doesnt hold secrets from the void century or something???

only thing i find weird is luffy's mom being happy with all this situation...why did she accept the deal in the first place? and wasnt lufy from fucsia town, now it says windmill town...can someone explain that??

thanks
Why would it? The void century's meaning is held by Poneglyphs on the Grand Line, not some noble town in the East Blue.

Also, that wasn't Luffy's mom.
Old 2010-05-20, 00:18   Link #43
Wrath88
Kissing...

That's the bar girl from the first chapter.

Knowing Luffy and Ace, they'll break into the kingdom to get back Sabo, and something will happen, maybe Sabo will take a bullet for Ace.
Old 2010-05-20, 00:42   Link #44
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
" From now on we're brothers" is acknowledging circumstances, as where they weren't acknowledged before. Under this frame work it also makes perfect sense why Sabo isn't Luffy's brother.
Actually, the drinking scene probably refers to a famous scene from Romance of the Three Kingdoms, where Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei proclaimed themselves to be brothers despite not sharing any blood bonds - 'though not born in the same day of the same month in the same year, we hope to die so'. Are you telling me that in the ritual Ace excludes Sabo from their fraternity simply because he wasn't adopted by Garp as well? Does that sound like Ace at all?

Quote:
To be pretty blunt part of the reason Sabo may not be luffy's brother may be for a more trivial reason. Ace is technically adopted by Garp, which makes him luffy's step relative.

In most societies (south, southeast asia, china) where Nuclear families were not the norm, the distinction between cousins, step brothers, and brothers are trivial. If you grow up in the same house as someone your age, that is under your family/extended family direct care they are your sibling. Often in informal language the honorofic that you'd address someone with is the same as just any sibling. Of course in Ace's case, he refused to acknowledge Luffy at all. Hence, a formal declaration makes sense. " From now on we're brothers" is acknowledging circumstances, as where they weren't acknowledged before. Under this frame work it also makes perfect sense why Sabo isn't Luffy's brother

I know this is the case in an abundance of South Asian, South East Asian languages, (which derive from sanskrit/prakrit) so I would not be surprised if this concept also existed in japan which only gained nuclear culture in the last 100 years.
Chinese language does not derive from Sanskrit or prakrit. In fact, I am from East Asia and I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Chinese and Indian culture is as different as American and Russian culture, whilst Japanese culture is definitely influenced by Chinese.

Last edited by paradox13; 2010-05-20 at 01:05.
Old 2010-05-20, 05:53   Link #45
Jabberwock

Hi first post. Anyway I was reading the latest chapter of One Piece with Sabo. Now I had a crazy thought about where Sabo is now. Does anyone else think Sabo could be Doflamingo? First reason is just the aesthetic, ie, blonde hair plus sunglasses, obviously changed but both elements are there for both characters. Second reason is that Doflamingo has a connection to tenryuubito (who presumably are connected to Sabo through his father) in as much as he is part of the slave trade. Third reason is that he had a dream back in the day of being a writer/pirate, but he gave that dream up to do exactly as his father asked which could be an excellent reason for his anti dreams ideology. Finally is that Sabo seems to be at near/same strength as Ace back when they were kids so it stands to reason that he could be an incredibly powerful pirate now. Either in the GrandLine or as Dofla. Or he might just have become a noble and this theory is not worth the time it took to write!

Any thoughts?
Old 2010-05-20, 06:17   Link #46
hero147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post
Hi first post. Anyway I was reading the latest chapter of One Piece with Sabo. Now I had a crazy thought about where Sabo is now. Does anyone else think Sabo could be Doflamingo? First reason is just the aesthetic, ie, blonde hair plus sunglasses, obviously changed but both elements are there for both characters. Second reason is that Doflamingo has a connection to tenryuubito (who presumably are connected to Sabo through his father) in as much as he is part of the slave trade. Third reason is that he had a dream back in the day of being a writer/pirate, but he gave that dream up to do exactly as his father asked which could be an excellent reason for his anti dreams ideology. Finally is that Sabo seems to be at near/same strength as Ace back when they were kids so it stands to reason that he could be an incredibly powerful pirate now. Either in the GrandLine or as Dofla. Or he might just have become a noble and this theory is not worth the time it took to write!

Any thoughts?
Unless Sabo ended the relationship on bad terms with Ace, I doubt he would just sit around and let Ace get executed by the marines.
Old 2010-05-20, 06:26   Link #47
Jabberwock

Yeah I was certain there would be some inconsistencies here, either one could put it down to a new attitude of apathy or it could be a non-theory. I just thought it might be cool if Luffy fought Dofla and there was that dynamic in place. A friend/brother completely changed by his experiences into what he is today.
Old 2010-05-20, 06:37   Link #48
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/565.5/14/

That is all.

Quote:
Doflamingo has a connection to tenryuubito (who presumably are connected to Sabo through his father)
Also Sabo's father is NOT a tenryuubito.
Old 2010-05-20, 06:54   Link #49
Jabberwock

haha! Totally wrong beyond all doubt, thanks for that (just to clarrify though I didn't say his father was tenryuubito only that he might be connected as his father was a noble who wanted to marry him to a royal)
Old 2010-05-20, 07:04   Link #50
Homura7

Wait til the flashback ends. There has to be a good reason why Luffy remembered the ritual with Ace but not wanted to remember about Sabo.

In case he's still alive and since his roots come from the aristocracy, it wouldn't be strange if in the end they became enemies. That's just in the case he's still alive.

Last edited by Homura7; 2010-05-20 at 07:19.
Old 2010-05-20, 07:21   Link #51
Jabberwock

I suppose it could be due to having spent far more time with Ace and becoming more brotherly with him rather than Sabo. While the ritual is surely important it wouldn't surprise me if Sabo has become a sad memory to be brought up during a later confrontation as opposed to a significant brother figure.

That said I suppose he just might be dead (but then why include him?).

I can imagine them becoming enemies just because Luffy has already clashed with the tenryuubito and I can well imagine future confrontations with other nobles if the story goes that way.
Old 2010-05-20, 08:26   Link #52
james0246

Quote:
That said I suppose he just might be dead (but then why include him?).
Luffy is currently struggling to find a way to cope with Ace's death. What better solution than to flashback to a similar incident (another "brother" dying) and relearning/remembering the lesson gained at that dramatic moment...
Old 2010-05-20, 09:35   Link #53
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
One thing I find rather ironic is that despite the rough environments of the Colbo mountains and Gray Terminal, the Goa Kingdom is actually considered to be the most beautiful nation in East Blue. Are the other nations really that much worse?!
It's one Piece, your lucky if your island isn't on fire from some marine, or pirate torching it.
Old 2010-05-20, 10:48   Link #54
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Uh, Sabo didn't say he wanted to become a navigator. Ace asked him to become one for his crew, but all 3 boys want to be a captain. Sabo said that he simply wanted to travel the world and write a book about the sights he witnessed. If anything, that's a valid enough dream to make him a potential Straw-Hat (still depends on whether or not he'll survive the flashback in one piece, of course).....
He was enthusiastic about studying sailing, and Ace thought that him becoming his navigator was a given, so I think he did want to become a navigator. Though you're absolutely right about the book, it certainly sounds like a valid enough dream. Well then, let's see if he survives this flashback first... I'm still convinced he won't, which will lead to Ace promising Luffy that he won't die and leave him alone, and that they should live a life without regrets (to make up for Sabo's?).
Old 2010-05-20, 11:10   Link #55
Prestige

We are not done yet in this arc, One Piece flashbacks tend to be very tragic and amazing at same time so I dont think we have reached climax of this arc yet, it might take couple more chapters.

I really enjoy reading these 'relaxing' flashback chapters, not only this reveals more of Luffy's past but it also expands One Piece world what I always enjoy.

I really like Sabo by now, I think incident with Luffy,Ace and Sabo has not come to end, Sabo gave up his freedom and dreams to allow Luffy and Ace to live on but I dont think Ace and Luffy will let this go like this...
Old 2010-05-21, 00:33   Link #56
janipani

Seems like every character's past in Luffy's crew are introduced to us trough a flashback story, the fact we see Luffy's part now does it mean that there is not going to be any new characters in the crew? If we assume that best one gets his story told last.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
Old 2010-05-21, 09:23   Link #57
Prestige

Btw do you guys believe that Ace and Luffy will let Sabo go like that? Or do you think that future chapters of this flashback will be focusing solely on Ace/Luffy and have no mention about Sabo anymore?
Old 2010-05-21, 09:39   Link #58
seiji_kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
Seems like every character's past in Luffy's crew are introduced to us trough a flashback story, the fact we see Luffy's part now does it mean that there is not going to be any new characters in the crew? If we assume that best one gets his story told last.
Nah, two more to go. Luffy said at the start of his adventure he wanted 10 nakama and seeing that Oda's (and mine) favorite sport is football which contains out of 11 people shows that that figure wasn't just taken for the lols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
Btw do you guys believe that Ace and Luffy will let Sabo go like that? Or do you think that future chapters of this flashback will be focusing solely on Ace/Luffy and have no mention about Sabo anymore?
Like other people I think Luffy and Ace will do something stupid which will lead to Sabo's demise. They'll probably break in to try to escape with him. There's just no way that those two stubborn, arrogant even foolish D's will just accept what happened to Sabo. My guess is Sabo will die bye the hands of Bluejam who will then be taken care of bye Dadan.
Old 2010-05-21, 10:23   Link #59
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraden1989 View Post
I wouldn't be surprises if we find out that Bluejam was a Shichibukai because of the fact that Sabo's father is having Bluejam try to kill Ace and Luffy. In addition, the Shichibukai follow the orders of the World Government, and the Tenryuubito have great influence in the World Government, so it makes sense that Bluejam, if he was a Shichibukai, to work for a Tenryuubito. I doubt that Bluejam would be a slave either because he didn't seem to have an exploding coller on him.
He was just hired by Sabo's father. Doesn't have to be a Shichibukai...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankss View Post
That was a bit interesting.But the best thing about this episode is that we finally got rid of this Sabo guy so this fillerish flashback is about to end.
Why would you be so eager to see it end? It's filling in a lot of holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Chinese language does not derive from Sanskrit or prakrit. In fact, I am from East Asia and I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Chinese and Indian culture is as different as American and Russian culture, whilst Japanese culture is definitely influenced by Chinese.
Thanks. His ignorance was appalling.

------------

I'm really excited about the multitude of directions the manga could go now. It's like a ball of seething energy that could explode in any number of ways and all of them would be spectacularly nuclear.

Too many bits of history here and there popping up now. It's kind of hard for me to keep track, and I am getting slightly lost in the fray. Doflamingo killing off another Shichibukai with orders from 'way high up', is just too much intrigue.

To an extent, maybe too much of note has happened too fast. The great battle of Marineford revealed so many hidden little 'dossiers' from the past, and too many things precluded and followed it.

Also, where exactly did Trafalgar Law come from? Don't get me wrong though: I love seeing him. I'm not too sure I could accept him randomly appearing to save Luffy at such a critical moment.

But then again, I don't really have that much information about his submarine, and it may well possess some unearthly mechanical semantics that could allow it to travel very quickly. Who knows?

I have mixed feelings about the number of significant deaths that came out of the whole battle. As much as you could say that "more pirates of influence should have died", you could also say that very few of the top marines died too. So it could be chalked down to competence on both sides.

I hope Oda now calmly lets each of the new sub-stories play out. He's created so many new sub-chapters and new mysteries that it's hard to keep them in mind.

Beautiful rendition of the battle, though. Had a few hiccups, but once again, Oda delivered

EDIT: Oh, my, I forgot to spazz over the figure that Luffy's bounty will rise to after this!!! It'll be phenomenal! I wonder what factors will influence it, too, though?

Maybe his 'Will of D' relation, and the fact that all of the high ranking marines suddenly got scared when they saw him unleash some of the Haoushoku stuff. That coupled with the fact that he upstarted and upshowed the marines and got away with it would be some serious bounty incentive. Also, his very existence is a testimony to one of the biggest failures of the Marines of all time.

Then take the fact that his father is Monkey D. Dragon, plus his apparent affiliation with Iva Ivankov, which could be taken as a concretion of some link between him and his father. He also has known (now at least) ties to Red Haired Shanks, and he still hasn't received an increased bounty from his attack on the Tenryuubito. I'm very sure he'll be worth over 700 million. Easily. What say you?

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Last edited by holypanl; 2010-05-21 at 11:33.
Old 2010-05-21, 11:53   Link #60
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

That flashback at the end of the impel down arc only showed ace and luffy. So I'm guessing that sabo will probably die now.

I hope this flashback will last another four chapters because I'm finding it so enjoyable.
Closed Thread