Notices

Old 2014-04-08, 08:06   Link #2161
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Connection View Post
Just read chapter 3 of vol 10--pissed.

Spoiler for vol 10 chapter 3:
Honestly that's not too surprising, and makes quite a bit of sense. Outside his familiars and regeneration, Kojou hasthe combat ability and self awareness of an average street punk or worse. Anyone with decent military or martial art training should take him easily on a anti-personal level. Heck Ruldoph from all the way in the first arc was better fighter of two even now. His familiars all being nukes just further compounds the problem because he can't use their full potential without killing everyone else, not mention causing extensive property damage.

The only way for to truly be legitimate threat to his enemies is either 1) Stop caring about his friends and others, just let his power run wild without inhibitions. 2) actually learn to use his familiars on a smaller scale or supplement himself with other disciplines.

Because up until this point he's mostly just gotten through conflicts by conveniently unlocking new familiars if any female lucky happened to be vicinity.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 08:11   Link #2162
Birdway
Banned

He needs a familiar that allows him to take on his enemies 1 vs 1 or one that grants him fighting skills.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 08:12   Link #2163
@GEMC

who are the special forces? you are mentioning
Old 2014-04-08, 08:13   Link #2164
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Honestly that's not too surprising, and makes quite a bit of sense. Outside his familiars and regeneration, Kojou hasthe combat ability and self awareness of an average street punk or worse. Anyone with decent military or martial art training should take him easily on a anti-personal level. Heck Ruldoph from all the way in the first arc was better fighter of two even now. His familiars all being nukes just further compounds the problem because he can't use their full potential without killing everyone else, not mention causing extensive property damage.

The only way for to truly be legitimate threat to his enemies is either 1) Stop caring about his friends and others, just let his power run wild without inhibitions. 2) actually learn to use his familiars on a smaller scale or supplement himself with other disciplines.

Because up until this point he's mostly just gotten through conflicts by conveniently unlocking new familiars if any female lucky happened to be vicinity.
That's not the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @GEMC View Post
who are the special forces? you are mentioning
Spoiler for vol 10:
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 08:27   Link #2165
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
That's not the point.
Was it from a punch? If so yeah that sounds pretty ridiculous since he's taken worse.

Him needing some sort of training still applies though.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 08:33   Link #2166
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Was it from a punch? If so yeah that sounds pretty ridiculous since he's taken worse.

Him needing some sort of training still applies though.
Spoiler for vol 10:
Seriously. He should have instantly just reversed time and then massacre all those guys.
Old 2014-04-08, 08:43   Link #2167
Ken Sanders
The Wanderer

Definitely saw this coming. I did view his current stats based on the light novels and my speculations of his current strength.

His battle senses are very weak to respond to situations like the one he is right now.

Erika is knight and Godu has a knack for fighting. That alone could make a difference.

He maybe has an immortal body but unlike Alucard of Hellsing, he totally kicks ass than Kojou.

Moka and Tsukune could stand up on their own to defeat an army.

Evangeline of Negima is an immortal magi and she specializes in Ice magics. And even knows hot to fight hand-to-hand too.

I wonder what's the difference between Kojou of the future than the present?
Ken Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 08:48   Link #2168
tsunade666

Quote:
Just read chapter 3 of vol 10--pissed.

what do you expect. The guy only know how to spam his kenjuu and doesn't really know how to fight. no skill bonus, extinct bonus or language barrier bonus like being a devil or campione true, being a shinsou or primogenitor gave him massive amount of mana/magic and super enhance strength that if he enhance his punch with magic. He can shatter buildings but even if he hand power. He had no skills or what so ever -_-

plus he is always holding back his kenjuu and he doesn't even train on how to use them properly >_>
Old 2014-04-08, 09:42   Link #2169
haseo0408

Quote:
Spoiler for vol 10:
Seriously. He should have instantly just reversed time and then massacre all those guys.
The lack of actual battle skill is not the only problem, his kenjuu make nuke look like fireworks so using them is out of the questiona against humans, also with the way he´s now he can´t beat an experienced fighter one on one. Ten you add the the fact that all of Kojou´s enemies so far had inhumane strage and powers that force use his kenjuu, Kojou probably can´t bring himself use his powers on mere mortals.

Yukina needs to train his man in some serious battle tecniques so he doesn´t suck like this this again.
haseo0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 11:36   Link #2170
bludvein

Kojou has barely been a primogenitor for a year, so we have to give him some slack, but he is so unskilled and unimaginative with his powers that its kind of boring. His solution is always to bust out a new kenjuu that somehow saves the day. Before the arc even starts we know how he is going to win. I think the author gave his character too many broken powers without creative ideas to use them. Kojou's power is all over the place and follows the whims of the plot whenever its convenient. There is no consistency.

For comparison, Godou has much more restricted powers, and yet he finds new ways to use them all the time. He may lose, but at least he doesn't go down without a fight.

I like StB's characters and interactions, but the fights aren't worth crap.

Last edited by bludvein; 2014-04-08 at 13:55.
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 17:42   Link #2171
haseo0408

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
Kojou has barely been a primogenitor for a year, so we have to give him some slack, but he is so unskilled and unimaginative with his powers that its kind of boring. His solution is always to bust out a new kenjuu that somehow saves the day. Before the arc even starts we know how he is going to win. I think the author gave his character too many broken powers without creative ideas to use them. Kojou's power is all over the place and follows the whims of the plot whenever its convenient. There is no consistency.

For comparison, Godou has much more restricted powers, and yet he finds new ways to use them all the time. He may lose, but at least he doesn't go down without a fight.

I like StB's characters and interactions, but the fights aren't worth crap.
I wouldn´t go as far as to called them crap, it´s just that the style of story is different from Campione!.
haseo0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 01:32   Link #2172
RegulusNemea

what happened to Kojou after being K'Oed?

Also something is bugging my mind now.
Does Jada is aware of what the Americans are doing in Area 51? :v
Old 2014-04-09, 01:38   Link #2173
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegulusNemea View Post
what happened to Kojou after being K'Oed?

Also something is bugging my mind now.
Does Jada is aware of what the Americans are doing in Area 51? :v
What happens afterwards has not been translated.

As for Jada,
Spoiler for vol 10:
Old 2014-04-09, 04:07   Link #2174
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
TBF you can't really be creative with broken powers.

There's no point to be creative if your power amounts to "I win" which is essentially Kojou's entire power set in a nutshell. He basically has a swissknife skillset that counters everything. Godou isn't really that broken besides the sword so he to be more creative with his abilities to compensate.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 04:28   Link #2175
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
There's no point to be creative if your power amounts to "I win"
he needs to be creative because his power is akin to a nuke that can't be used openly.

There are signs he can use it on smaller scales but when problem arises. He just nuke them with his kenjuu. He didn't even try to learn something and leaving the defense to yukina and the others.
Old 2014-04-09, 04:31   Link #2176
Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
he needs to be creative because his power is akin to a nuke that can't be used openly.

There are signs he can use it on smaller scales but when problem arises. He just nuke them with his kenjuu. He didn't even try to learn something and leaving the defense to yukina and the others.
Using things on a smaller scale isn't creativity. The correct word would be control. If he can control his Kejuu's better then AoE won't be a problem.
Old 2014-04-09, 06:32   Link #2177
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Using things on a smaller scale isn't creativity. The correct word would be control. If he can control his Kejuu's better then AoE won't be a problem.
That's not the point. The point is that he's got all these existing OP powers that he could have used to solve his problems. Problem is that he forgot that he can use them, get one shotted by random nobodies and then resolves to unlocking a new OP power to deal with a situation that he could have easily resolved with his other powers. That's the format of the story over and over again.
Spoiler for RANT with examples from vol 9 and 10:
Old 2014-04-09, 06:40   Link #2178
Log

Quote:
That's not the point. The point is that he's got all these existing OP powers that he could have used to solve his problems. Problem is that he forgot that he can use them, get one shotted by random nobodies and then resolves to unlocking a new OP power to deal with a situation that he could have easily resolved with his other powers.
Spoiler for RANT with examples from vol 9 and 10:
I think you're misunderstanding my point. I wasn't trying to justify when Kojou was handed the idiot ball and didn't use his powers when he could've. I was arguing that it's hard to get creative with his powerset because it's so broken that there's no point.
Old 2014-04-09, 06:42   Link #2179
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
I think you're misunderstanding my point. I wasn't trying to justify when Kojou was handed the idiot ball and didn't use his powers when he could've. I was arguing that it's hard to get creative with his powerset because it's so broken that there's no point.
That's the author's problem. It's a serious flaw in the story with all these inconsistencies.
Old 2014-04-09, 07:42   Link #2180
Log

Quote:
That's the author's problem. It's a serious flaw in the story with all these inconsistencies.
I agree.

He's sorta digging himself a hole by giving Kojou every broken ability in fiction and then suddenly making the character himself forget he has it making the character seem more incompetent then he should be. It's a very bad form of storytelling and shit's on the characters intelligence.

On the other hand if he suddenly injects Kojou with brain cells suddenly everyone except Kojou (and the other Primgenitor+Cain) becomes irrelevant as far as fights go and the storyline has to skip to Primgenitor+Cain fights or risk it becoming a dull lolstomp routine every time some minor sap thinks he can fuck with Kojou (and as everybody here knows LN's have to go to 10+ volumes because money).

That's the problem with MC's with utterly broken skillsets, it's very hard to make them broken, competent and also drag out the story at the same time. Before someone mentions Tatsuya/Izayoi I'll say that the only reason Mahouka/Mondaiji is so popular is because competent broken MC's are rare enough that when they do appear we enjoy them and ignore their negative aspects. If their mainstream then we'll eventually get dull with them and wish for balanced MCs again (or a least I will).

Tags
cringe heroine, dengeki bunko, fake harem, harem, open ending, strike the blood, vampires