AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-09, 18:44   Link #121
Kamden
Have a Nice Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Dang... I don't like Black*Star's voice...
Me neither. T.T That actress realizes that she's voicing a GUY, right? And why can't sound editors deepen her voice, anyway?

In all honesty, I'd rather have Maile Flanagan (Naruto) dubbing Black*Star, "Believe it" and all. And that's something I never thought I'd say.

At least Maka's English VA is good. I'm pretty satisfied with what I've seen from her so far.
Old 2009-11-09, 21:36   Link #122
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Yeah, I must admit that I REALLY don't like Black Star's dubbed voice. It was kinda high in the Japanese version as well (as I recall) but this is really silly. Tsubaki's voice is deeper for Christ'ssake! No self-respecting ninja is gonna go around with a voice that high, just no.
Old 2009-11-09, 22:38   Link #123
Kamden
Have a Nice Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Yeah, I must admit that I REALLY don't like Black Star's dubbed voice. It was kinda high in the Japanese version as well (as I recall) but this is really silly. Tsubaki's voice is deeper for Christ'ssake! No self-respecting ninja is gonna go around with a voice that high, just no.
Black*Star's voice in the Japanese version was high because he's 13-14 years old. But the English voice is far too girly; the Japanese one managed to keep his voice sounding boyish enough.
Old 2009-11-09, 23:33   Link #124
Haladflire65
*Artist

I actually thought the Japanese one was pretty good - he was supposed to sound all annoying and everything, and I think it was perfectly portrayed. He actually sounded like a guy sometimes, but the English dub is just... no.
Old 2009-11-10, 09:23   Link #125
littlegal100

Funimation apparently posted a little clip of episode 8 with Stein and Spirit. So we can pretty much hear their english voices.

http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=3565

I haven't watched it myself since it's not available in my territory. But alot of people have negative opinions about their english voices.

Now of only someone posted it on youtube..
Old 2009-11-10, 14:43   Link #126
Kamden
Have a Nice Dream

I saw the clip for Episode Three (its on the Funi website), and I feel like crying. http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=3559

My Take on the Voices:

Maka: Great voice/Good acting; in general, I'm very pleased with Maka's VA. Great choice.

Soul: Good voice/Okay acting; I'm sure he'll improve over time, just like how Maka's Japanese seiyu got better over time. I'm fine with his casting.

Black*Star: Awful girly voice/Poor acting; the VA needs to make some major adjustments to her portrayal of Black*Star fast! The "Yahoo" is okay (could use some improvement).

Tsubaki: Good voice/Okay acting; The acting is fine, except she needs to sound a bit more reserved and soft-spoken.

Death the Kid: Bad voice/Poor acting; What is up with that voice?! He needs to follow Miyano's lead a bit more. With the exception of the depression bit, the acting was so terrible.

Liz: Good voice/Mediocre acting; I like the voice, but it sounds like the VA is just reading straight from the script, rather than following Liz's expressions.

Patti: Great voice/Good acting; I LOVE her giggle! It's perfect! Great choice.

Last edited by Kamden; 2009-11-10 at 17:26.
Old 2009-11-10, 16:28   Link #127
Orangejellosphere
That one guy

Ugh.
Whatever, it's not like I want to watch the anime again.
Old 2009-11-10, 19:23   Link #128
Kotobasuu
OCD Cowgirl

Send a message via AIM to Kotobasuu Send a message via MSN to Kotobasuu
the fsck I think Kidd's english voice is better then the japanese lol. Miyano made him sound 40 friggen years old.
Old 2009-11-10, 21:00   Link #129
Haladflire65
*Artist

^ Are you kidding?! I think Kid's English voice makes him sound old. And evil, for some reason.

At least his depression mode wasn't too bad...

Dang they cut it off right before Shinigami-sama came out... Dang!

Anyone know where I can watch Stein and Spirit (not on Funimation?)
Old 2009-11-10, 21:48   Link #130
Kamden
Have a Nice Dream

While I do agree that Kid sounded a bit too old in the Japanese version, the English voice just outright doesn't fit. That voice sounds too gravely for Kid; he needs a voice that gives off an air of refinement, poise, propriety, and even a little haughty (save for his OCD scenes, of course). Instead of sounding like a prim-and-proper rich kid, he sounded like a 13-year old smoker. The acting felt out-of-place too, as if he wasn't even paying attention to the scene.

Patti's voice was spot-on, at least. I don't think they could've picked a better voice for her, and her giggle is even better than the Japanese seiyu's giggle, in my opinion.

Last edited by Kamden; 2009-11-10 at 22:27.
Old 2009-11-11, 02:32   Link #131
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Ok some thoughts on the voices.

Black Star - My god....what have they done!? Not that the voice sounds bad, just that it's the wrong gender. I know he's a young guy, but last time I checked young guys still sounded like...they were male.

I think Maka, Soul, and Tsubaki were all pretty good.

Kid just felt off. Maybe the bias of hearing the Japanese voice first. But seemed odd to me. Still Liz and Patti were both pretty solid.

At least the main 3 teams are fairly good overall. Iffy on Kid and downright saddened about Black Star, but it could be worse.
Old 2009-11-11, 02:43   Link #132
Kotobasuu
OCD Cowgirl

Send a message via AIM to Kotobasuu Send a message via MSN to Kotobasuu
Quote:
^ Are you kidding?! I think Kid's English voice makes him sound old. And evil, for some reason.
No and i disagree. He sounds egotistical, obnoxious, and bratty, which fits him perfectly imo. iunno maybe im a little bit more biased because, i mean its not like i didnt like his jap va, cause he was awesome with the symmetry spazzing and whatever, but every other time it sounded like his voice suddenly aged 10+ years and iunno.

Granted im not surprised at the dub wanking, cause i mean you stream the entire series in japanese for 51 episodes, which is basically 13 months of hearing the same voice come out of a characters mouth, so when the new va doesnt sound exactly the same as the japanese one, it isnt always bad, its just different and feels awkward for most cause they're so used to the japanese dialogue.

Iunno i just think when they picked a role for Kidd they werent going for someone who sounded just like Mamoru Miyano, they picked someone who could play a character relatively egotistical, obnoxious, and bratty. And i thought they did a good job of that.

I do agree on Black Star though. Wheres the testosterone orz orz
Old 2009-11-11, 11:25   Link #133
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Youtube Link! A different clip than ones we've seen so far, this is when Soul, Maka, Black Star, and Tusbaki all confront Stein. Still can't say I'm loving the voices (sometimes it just sounds like they're talking too fast) so I might end up having to try both the japanese and english to figure out which I like better.
Old 2009-11-11, 19:08   Link #134
Kamden
Have a Nice Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Youtube Link! A different clip than ones we've seen so far, this is when Soul, Maka, Black Star, and Tusbaki all confront Stein. Still can't say I'm loving the voices (sometimes it just sounds like they're talking too fast) so I might end up having to try both the japanese and english to figure out which I like better.
Well, they're talking fast to fit the dialogue to the lip movement. Stein's voice is okay so far; I haven't heard enough for me to get a real opinion of it, but I'm not outright upset by it so far, at least. ^^ I just LOVE Maka's voice; they seriously couldn't have found a better English voice for her (I think this is the first time I've been this pleased with an English anime VA, kudos to Funi and the actress ). Tsubaki's is starting to grow on me a bit, too.

Last edited by Kamden; 2009-11-11 at 20:16.
Old 2009-11-11, 21:19   Link #135
Haladflire65
*Artist

I don't really like Stein's voice... Maybe it's cause I loved his Japanese seiyu so much. The only way to really judge him, though, is after he does his madman laugh...
Old 2009-11-11, 21:21   Link #136
Kamden
Have a Nice Dream

Quote:
I don't really like Stein's voice... Maybe it's cause I loved his Japanese seiyu so much. The only way to really judge him, though, is after he does his madman laugh...
I definitely agree. I need to see Stein's crazy and comedic scenes before I pass a judgement on the actor. We may not get such a preview, though.
Old 2009-11-11, 22:03   Link #137
Mayhem The Great
The Glob of Destruction

Did anyone see this video?

It's basically the same video as the voice actors who are cosplaying, but we get to hear Shinigami's voice in the beginning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kzveOCHHjs
Old 2009-11-11, 22:42   Link #138
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Ah, surprised no one has brought that one up yet, sounds about what I imagined shinigami to sound like but it'll take getting used to.
Old 2009-11-11, 23:01   Link #139
Kamden
Have a Nice Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem The Great View Post

It's basically the same video as the voice actors who are cosplaying, but we get to hear Shinigami's voice in the beginning.
Y'know, I like Shinigami-sama's English voice. It's different, but still goofy and light-hearted.

Watching the cosplay sketch, I think Kid and Black*Star's voices sound better there than in the preview clips, so I hope the actors go back to that.
Old 2009-11-12, 02:27   Link #140
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem The Great View Post

God I'd hate to go watch a movie with these people . You'd never hear anything over the constant screaming.

This was one sad fight . Still the whole thing was damn hilarious. The power of friendship = fusion dance . That really was a great episode when you think about it .