AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-04-17, 00:46   Link #121
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
What does the "RT" stand for? As an engineer and software developer.... "RT" has a rather specific meaning. Blundering around the blogs/news wasn't enlightening, more like apparently a lot of devs have the same question.
RT in "Windows RT" probably doesn't stand for anything. However, it likely inherited the name from WinRT, where RT does stand for RunTime.

From the announcement:
Quote:
For new apps, the focus for Windows RT is development on the new Windows runtime, or WinRT, which we unveiled in September and forms the foundation of a new generation of cloud-enabled, touch-enabled, web-connected apps of all kinds.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 01:00   Link #122
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"runtime" ... ... ... ehhhhhh, ok. Now I get to go retrieve my eyeballs that rolled off in the corner....

Marketeers... you just can't kill them fast enough
Old 2012-04-17, 05:20   Link #123
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
"runtime" ... ... ... ehhhhhh, ok. Now I get to go retrieve my eyeballs that rolled off in the corner....

Marketeers... you just can't kill them fast enough
Trying to compete with the iPad is making Microsoft stupid.
Old 2012-04-17, 09:37   Link #124
monster

Eh, does it really matter? And besides, they've done it before: NT, CE, XP. (ME doesn't count since the Millennium Edition name was kept.)
Old 2012-04-17, 13:53   Link #125
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Eh, does it really matter? And besides, they've done it before: NT, CE, XP. (ME doesn't count since the Millennium Edition name was kept.)
Those were equally funny but they didn't have pre-existing common use in computing and engineering. NT was supposedly New Technology, CE was Compact Edition and XP was pure marketeer nonsense (XP= experience) of the "U-tot-em" or "In-N-out" variety.

Talk to an engineer or computer science and the first answer you'll usually get is RT = "Real Time", a specific term that doesn't really apply here.

OTOH... there WAS an IBM computer back in the 1980s that called itself an "RT" -- the IBM RT PC. In that case, they were trying to use RT for RISC Technology, but they dropped the acronym (and the computer) rather quickly.
Old 2012-04-17, 17:37   Link #126
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

While there exist 'Real Time' OS out there, which usually have some special kind of sceduling, I don't believe that the new Windows is one of those.

The last thing I know is Windows was still using a 20-120ms round-robin scheduler. Did they change that in newer versions?
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 18:04   Link #127
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
While there exist 'Real Time' OS out there, which usually have some special kind of sceduling, I don't believe that the new Windows is one of those.

The last thing I know is Windows was still using a 20-120ms round-robin scheduler. Did they change that in newer versions?
The underlying core hasn't changed in eons... MS systems are a general purpose OS with round robin scheduling even for UI "on event" instances. There's nothing wrong with that (other than occasionally MS tries to sell the OS for use as an RTOS when it isn't).

Here's a list of actual realtime OSes (some of which are "extinct" ):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rating_systems
Old 2012-04-17, 21:20   Link #128
monster

Quote:
Those were equally funny but they didn't have pre-existing common use in computing and engineering. NT was supposedly New Technology, CE was Compact Edition and XP was pure marketeer nonsense (XP= experience) of the "U-tot-em" or "In-N-out" variety.

Talk to an engineer or computer science and the first answer you'll usually get is RT = "Real Time", a specific term that doesn't really apply here.
Oh, I understand that. But, since it has a user base beyond the field of engineering and computer science, I think Windows should get a pass if it doesn't always have a name that follows some abbreviation convention.

In the end, it's a marketing name to differentiate it from Windows 8, no more and no less. (It doesn't mean it's a good name, but that's another story and not just because it already has a common use elsewhere.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post

Quote:
The underlying core hasn't changed in eons... MS systems are a general purpose OS with round robin scheduling even for UI "on event" instances. There's nothing wrong with that (other than occasionally MS tries to sell the OS for use as an RTOS when it isn't).

Here's a list of actual realtime OSes (some of which are "extinct" ):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rating_systems
Apparently, according to that list, Windows CE is Mircosoft's real time OS.
Old 2012-04-17, 22:40   Link #129
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Why didn't they just use the damn internal name for WOA? Windows Azure was fine!
Old 2012-04-17, 23:59   Link #130
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Why didn't they just use the damn internal name for WOA? Windows Azure was fine!
I'm not sure I understand. Windows Azure is Microsoft's "cloud" operating system. It doesn't have anything to do with WOA, Windows on ARM.

And yes, Windows Azure is the official name and it's been operating since at least last year, if not two years ago.
Old 2012-05-04, 19:32   Link #131
Hollowend

I don't know if anyone knows this, but the new windows won't have Media player or DVD playback.
Hollowend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 19:40   Link #132
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowend View Post
I don't know if anyone knows this, but the new windows won't have Media player or DVD playback.
Windows 8 will have Media Player. Media Center and DVD playback will not be available by default, but people will be able to purchase an add-on pack from within Windows to get them.

Of course, for the vast majority of Windows 8 consumers, it won't really matter since they don't use Media Center and PC makers will bundle third-party DVD (and even BD) playback solutions where applicable.
Old 2012-05-31, 16:29   Link #133
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

question. does W8 have search bar to find application?

i am fine with removing start menu as long they allow me to find app like Photoshop or control panel.

dont tell me you need full screen metro to use it

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 17:04   Link #134
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
question. does W8 have search bar to find application?

i am fine with removing start menu as long they allow me to find app like Photoshop or control panel.

dont tell me you need full screen metro to use it
Search is built into the Start Screen so its Metro. Works pretty much the same way as it used to in the Start Menu, but it's all Metro-ish. Though, if you just hit windows key, type, and hit enter, it doesn't really change anything. For actually searching and looking for things, it really depends, I generally find it an improvement if you utilize all the keyboard shortcuts.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 17:53   Link #135
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Search is built into the Start Screen so its Metro. Works pretty much the same way as it used to in the Start Menu, but it's all Metro-ish. Though, if you just hit windows key, type, and hit enter, it doesn't really change anything. For actually searching and looking for things, it really depends, I generally find it an improvement if you utilize all the keyboard shortcuts.
if only there is way to make metro smaller/not full screen. that basically what i hate from W8 now

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 18:56   Link #136
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Why would you care about the start screen going fullscreen?

Uses for start search function:
-Launch application. You hit the Windows key and type in the name, then hit enter. If its an application you launch regularly, it's practically muscle memory. The Metro Start Screen changes nothing in this regard.
-To search for a less often used application. You hit the Windows key and type something like what you are looking for. Look through results for what you want. I think that the Metro Start Screen is an improvement. It's organized in a way that I think makes finding stuff easier. The hotkeys for Control Panel items/etc means less keystrokes between searching and getting to the desired result.

After using it for a while, I think the Start Screen is a small but definite improvement over the Start Menu.
Old 2012-05-31, 18:57   Link #137
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Because when it goes fullscreen it blocks fucking everything.
Old 2012-05-31, 19:00   Link #138
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Do you need to see something that is blocking when you are using it?
Old 2012-05-31, 21:08   Link #139
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Do you need to see something that is blocking when you are using it?
Yeah actually, I do. I often open the startmenu in W7 to launch a program when I have several windows open that I'm currently working in.

The shift away from a tiled window environment to a fullscreen "app" environment is stupid, and Microsoft is stupid and should be ashamed.
Old 2012-05-31, 21:59   Link #140
Random32
Also a Lolicon

You launch the application, provided its not one of those dumb metro apps, it puts you back to desktop. Unless you have to look at an application while you are launching another application.