AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-04-12, 14:26   Link #1941
kujoe
from head to heel

I think this whole ToV discussion reflects the policies of MS and Sony.

MS likes to pay for exclusivity, timed or otherwise (including DLC... see Fallout 3 and GTAIV).

Sony on the other hand, likes to make developers add something extra to their late ports (e.g., Eternal Sonata, Red Alert 3, Bioshock and now ToV).

So really, it's your choice. Pick your poison.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 16:53   Link #1942
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciel View Post
Oh yes so now everyone who wanted to play Vesperia has already played it? Give me a break , not everybody would buy a 360 just to play it.
Actually, it's not just people who don't own a 360, but also everyone in Europe (who doesn't own a US or chipped 360). To this day it's still not released here, although a summer release date is rumored.

With the announcement of a PS3 version I'm going to skip the 360 version altogether myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ying View Post
Oh, my god. Enchanted Arms sucks baaaaaaad. I borrowed from a friend and didn't play more than half an hour... Seing the boxart makes me remember of this game...
The first few hours aren't great, but it does get a bit better later on. Some of the locations are actually quite nice. I do hate the character models though, they're too realistic without realistic emotions, so they're kinda flat.

What is great about Enchanted Arms is the Japanese VA for the lead female cast: Kana Ueda and Ryou Hirohashi. The Japanese VA for male characters sound like from yoai anime though...
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 01:23   Link #1943
Jays

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Sony on the other hand, likes to make developers add something extra to their late ports (e.g., Eternal Sonata, Red Alert 3, Bioshock and now ToV).
Sony doesn't have anything to do with that, it's mainly on the developer/publishers side of things that do that. The port of Oblivion for the PS3 doesn't have any special features and for most part you don't see many third party exclusives now a days.

Games like Bioshock and Red Alert 3 if I remember correctly came on late to the PS3 because of development issues, seeing as Bioshock was if I remember correctly slated to come for the PS3 as well before Take Two pulled the plug on it. It would be nice if Sony ponied up and got more developers only working on their console, but hell if you can at least get the games multiplat and then put more money into making your own first party game, all the better.

In any case, the NA box art for Advent Children looks better than the JAP, which is a shocker to be honest. I remember cursing loudly when I saw the NA box art for Metal Gear Solid 4 and then saw the JAP and PAL ones, what an ironic twist of fate this is.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 02:56   Link #1944
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays View Post
Sony doesn't have anything to do with that, it's mainly on the developer/publishers side of things that do that. The port of Oblivion for the PS3 doesn't have any special features and for most part you don't see many third party exclusives now a days.
Nope. It was part of an interview I read from Kotaku long ago.

Usually, they try to entice developers to make use of the advantages that is unique to their system. Whether that means adding content or simply using all that extra space in the blu-ray disc as they see fit is entirely up to the developers themselves.

Moreover, developers want to justify the full price of their late ports all over again, (hello Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2...) hence it's actually something that works for them.

Oblivion for the PS3 doesn't have exclusive content, but Bethesda polished it further and included the Knight of the Nine expansion in the disc. They also used all that extra blu-ray space to write the same sections of the game multiple times in order to improve disc reading speeds (which was also done to address the weaknesses of the medium itself).

Last edited by kujoe; 2009-04-14 at 03:07.
Old 2009-04-14, 03:15   Link #1945
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
In any case, the NA box art for Advent Children looks better than the JAP, which is a shocker to be honest. I remember cursing loudly when I saw the NA box art for Metal Gear Solid 4 and then saw the JAP and PAL ones, what an ironic twist of fate this is.
Well, sort of. The JAP version is the same as NA version, except that is in black and white, but the limited edition in Japan got a beautiful box art by Shinkawa and that's should be the box art for NA too. It was a huge blowoff to see that after every game in the series with box arts by Shinkawa, we've got Snake's face from the game...
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 05:56   Link #1946
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

A question. .does Eternal Sonata PS3 version will come out in NA ?

Vesperia won't come out in PS3 ? ;( is this some kinds of conspiracy to make fans
enthusiasm goes down ? xD;

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 07:52   Link #1947
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
A question. .does Eternal Sonata PS3 version will come out in NA ?
Isn't that one out already? Otherwise, just import the European.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
Vesperia won't come out in PS3 ? ;( is this some kinds of conspiracy to make fans
enthusiasm goes down ? xD;
Actually, quite the opposite. The recent announcement confirmed the port. though whether it will come to NA is still unsure.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 08:04   Link #1948
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Oh sorry, I've mistyped it. I meant that 'Vesperia won't come out to NA' not 'Vesperia won't come out in PS3'.

Quote:
Isn't that one out already? Otherwise, just import the European.
eh ? is that so ? o.O;
thanks for answering the questions

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 08:32   Link #1949
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Eternal Sonata is out since last year, hehe.
Old 2009-04-14, 10:30   Link #1950
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post

What is great about Enchanted Arms is the Japanese VA for the lead female cast: Kana Ueda and Ryou Hirohashi. The Japanese VA for male characters sound like from yoai anime though...
You have Okiayu Ryotaro, Suwabe Junichi and Kishio Daisuke. That is yaoi enough.
Old 2009-04-14, 11:20   Link #1951
Jays

Quote:
Nope. It was part of an interview I read from Kotaku long ago.

Usually, they try to entice developers to make use of the advantages that is unique to their system. Whether that means adding content or simply using all that extra space in the blu-ray disc as they see fit is entirely up to the developers themselves.

Moreover, developers want to justify the full price of their late ports all over again, (hello Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2...) hence it's actually something that works for them.

Oblivion for the PS3 doesn't have exclusive content, but Bethesda polished it further and included the Knight of the Nine expansion in the disc. They also used all that extra blu-ray space to write the same sections of the game multiple times in order to improve disc reading speeds (which was also done to address the weaknesses of the medium itself).
I'd like to see this article, because I'm pretty that the reason Bioshock and Red Alert came out later for the PS3 was because of development issues. Your second and third paragraphs does make sense, seeing as that is only a developer/publisher thing. Why would Sony force developers to add extra stuff to late blooming multiplats that probably no one will buy?

Do you honestly think Sony out of all people who aren't interested in buying anything third party from anyone, would waste their time trying to secure dropplets of little exclusive content for games that no longer really mean anything? I have a hard time believing anyone, Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo were the ones responsible for extra content in a year old game coming out on their console.

Quote:
Well, sort of. The JAP version is the same as NA version, except that is in black and white, but the limited edition in Japan got a beautiful box art by Shinkawa and that's should be the box art for NA too. It was a huge blowoff to see that after every game in the series with box arts by Shinkawa, we've got Snake's face from the game...
Wasn't the JAP and PAL version of the boxart Shinkawa's art compared to that boring and lame 3D render that Konami NA decided to go with? I'm pretty sure it was that because I steaming pissed after I saw that. At least the box art for the Limted Edition was great, but I wish I still had the other ones for my game cover. This reminds me of Snake Eater and the PAL version of their box art... man NA gets some major shitty ones.
Old 2009-04-14, 12:32   Link #1952
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
I'd like to see this article, because I'm pretty that the reason Bioshock and Red Alert came out later for the PS3 was because of development issues. Your second and third paragraphs does make sense, seeing as that is only a developer/publisher thing. Why would Sony force developers to add extra stuff to late blooming multiplats that probably no one will buy?
You are not understanding what I said. Sony isn't forcing anybody. Plus... multi-plats that no one will buy? Well, that's exactly why these developers have to add something in the first place. It's something that Kaz Hirai said. I read it on Kotaku, but I found it on Three Speech.

Q: What’s your policy on securing games exclusively for the PS3 from third parties? Because Phil Harrison changed the policy towards not paying for exclusives. Is that still the case?

KH: That’s something that we can re-evaluate, but it’s also something that the publishers need to make a business decision on. Ultimately, it becomes a dialogue – if it makes sense for them to go exclusive, that’s a business decision that they need to make. But generally speaking, because of the investments that publishers need to make in this round of hardware, it’s going to be more difficult for publishers to make that decision. Where we come into the picture is to have that dialogue with the third-party publishers, to say: “OK, what can we do together if it’s not exclusive that makes the PS3 version of the game more compelling for the consumers than any other version?” Let’s face it – all the games are coming out on a Blu-ray disk which has 50Gb capacity, so let’s put in some making-of content, or maybe additional levels. Also, it really becomes important for the first-party studios to really come up with some envelope-pushing, genre-defining content.

Interestingly, the discussions about Tales of Vesperia for the PS3 over at Kotaku has someone mentioning something that Shuhei Yoshida said regarding Sony's policy, but I can't confirm that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays
Do you honestly think Sony out of all people who aren't interested in buying anything third party from anyone, would waste their time trying to secure dropplets of little exclusive content for games that no longer really mean anything? I have a hard time believing anyone, Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo were the ones responsible for extra content in a year old game coming out on their console.
Like I said, the incentive for the developers to release new content is that they can charge full price again. Whatever reasons they have for delaying their game—be it timed exclusivity or development setbacks—they want to give gamers a reason to buy an old game. Bioshock, Red Alert 3, NGS2, Eternal Sonata... and now ToV. Sony doesn't really have to even discuss this with them, but they make it a point to do so nonetheless. Frankly, it isn't that hard to grasp.
Old 2009-04-14, 12:47   Link #1953
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Wasn't the JAP and PAL version of the boxart Shinkawa's art compared to that boring and lame 3D render that Konami NA decided to go with? I'm pretty sure it was that because I steaming pissed after I saw that. At least the box art for the Limted Edition was great, but I wish I still had the other ones for my game cover. This reminds me of Snake Eater and the PAL version of their box art... man NA gets some major shitty ones.
No... The JP version was the same:

Yoji Shinkawa box in the limited edition:

And even the LE got Snake's face in the box, hehe. But it's true. With a box art so beautiful, it's a shame they've put that 3d render... With Snake Eater, at least they've redeemed themselves with the box of Subsistence, with MGS4, for now, we're stuck with this one...
Old 2009-04-14, 15:22   Link #1954
Jays

Quote:
You are not understanding what I said. Sony isn't forcing anybody. Plus... multi-plats that no one will buy? Well, that's exactly why these developers have to add something in the first place. It's something that Kaz Hirai said. I read it on Kotaku, but I found it on Three Speech.
"Sony on the other hand, likes to make developers add something extra to their late ports (e.g., Eternal Sonata, Red Alert 3, Bioshock and now ToV)."

That's what you said. It's fine if you retracted that, but don't get me wrong, what you said in this post is what I've been saying all of this time.

Quote:
No... The JP version was the same:

And even the LE got Snake's face in the box, hehe. But it's true. With a box art so beautiful, it's a shame they've put that 3d render... With Snake Eater, at least they've redeemed themselves with the box of Subsistence, with MGS4, for now, we're stuck with this one...
I thought this was the official MGS4 box art for Japan, I was soo disappointed when I saw this and then saw what the NA one was...

Old 2009-04-14, 18:18   Link #1955
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
"Sony on the other hand, likes to make developers add something extra to their late ports (e.g., Eternal Sonata, Red Alert 3, Bioshock and now ToV)."

That's what you said. It's fine if you retracted that, but don't get me wrong, what you said in this post is what I've been saying all of this time.

I thought this was the official MGS4 box art for Japan, I was soo disappointed when I saw this and then saw what the NA one was...
That's odd. The one I got with my PS3 is different from the one you posted...

North American version:
Spoiler for bigimage:

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-04-14 at 20:22.
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 19:11   Link #1956
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
That's odd. The one I got with my PS3 is different from the one you posted... It's probably limited edition I guess because there's no UPC on mine.
There is no LE releases for MG4 in the States. Image posted above is a lighter tone for the European Release. Japanese LE is as follows :-

Asian LE release has the same deal, except that the Blu Ray disc is in a standard BD casing instead of the steelbook casing.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 20:15   Link #1957
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:

Then you misunderstood, and I may have worded that incorrectly. I meant that in a way that Sony approaches those devs, telling them to add something extra in their games.

And if they can't, there really is nothing Sony can do is there?
Old 2009-04-14, 20:21   Link #1958
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
There is no LE releases for MG4 in the States. Image posted above is a lighter tone for the European Release. Japanese LE is as follows :-
[/URL]

Asian LE release has the same deal, except that the Blu Ray disc is in a standard BD casing instead of the steelbook casing.
I was mistaken then, but the copy I have is alot different compared to the North American cover because I bought it bundled with the 80GB Playstation 3.
Old 2009-04-15, 00:13   Link #1959
Jays

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
That's odd. The one I got with my PS3 is different from the one you posted...
That was the "supposed" JAP box art, I had no idea that both the JAP and NA ones were the same; all this time I thought the JAP and PAL ones were the ones who were similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Actually there is a NA MGS4 LE, I should know because I own it:

Quote:
Then you misunderstood, and I may have worded that incorrectly. I meant that in a way that Sony approaches those devs, telling them to add something extra in their games.

And if they can't, there really is nothing Sony can do is there?
See I don't believe that Sony would ever approach a developer asking for more content. This is a business why should a developer do something for a console manufacturer that makes them basically go out of their way without any real ultimatum? I agree with you on the fact that it makes sense for developers to do it, but I don't believe Sony has any say in it.
Old 2009-04-15, 00:22   Link #1960
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
See I don't believe that Sony would ever approach a developer asking for more content. This is a business why should a developer do something for a console manufacturer that makes them basically go out of their way without any real ultimatum? I agree with you on the fact that it makes sense for developers to do it, but I don't believe Sony has any say in it.
?

They don't have an absolute say in it, but why wouldn't Sony approach developers?

It's a business, hence why they have to compete and look out for their interests. Not to mention, the man practically said that's how they deal with developers in the interview. Whether both parties agree under a contract or if it's a move solely by the developers themselves, it makes sound business sense.

I find it odd why this is even an issue in the first place. Sony, MS and Nintendo try to maintain their relationships with developers in their own ways—in ways that are also beneficial to themselves.

Tags
console, ps3, sony