AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-13, 11:59   Link #1
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

[Manga] Chapter 42 : The Father Before the Grave

Okay, done and done. Before anyone gripes about the names used, refer to the official name thread and the explanation within the manga

Commence the reading as the adventure continues... Is he that person or is he not...

Chapter 42 : The Father Before the Grave
Old 2004-12-13, 13:52   Link #2
jubileerain
manga psycho ^_^

Send a message via AIM to jubileerain
Thanks Yebyosh!

I don't get Hohenheim, so he knows Ed's a well known alchemist. How can he just let his kids run around like that? & he just talks to Ed like everything's ok. This guy is sooooo weird. Calling Ed the "smallest alchemist" & the way he doesn't listen to Ed was funny though.

I don't think Hohenheim is that person, but I think they're related somehow. & I think his warning to Pinako is about the opening of the Gate.
Old 2004-12-13, 22:20   Link #3
Arcion
(Anime Indepth)

Send a message via MSN to Arcion
This chapter makes me believe, almost for certain, that Hohenhiem is
Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-13, 22:46   Link #4
zarkand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcion
This chapter makes me believe, almost for certain, that Hohenhiem is
Spoiler:
On that I...

Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-14, 01:23   Link #5
Lackadaisical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubileerain
Thanks Yebyosh!

I don't get Hohenheim, so he knows Ed's a well known alchemist. How can he just let his kids run around like that? & he just talks to Ed like everything's ok. This guy is sooooo weird. Calling Ed the "smallest alchemist" & the way he doesn't listen to Ed was funny though.

I don't think Hohenheim is that person, but I think they're related somehow. & I think his warning to Pinako is about the opening of the Gate.
As far as Ed and Al go, Hohenheim either knew what was going on and simply decided to let things run the course or didn't know Trisha was dead and assumed Ed was a State Alchemist with her blessing.

Of course Hohenheim acts suprised at news of Trisha's death so it is most likely the latter unless he was merely pretending to be suprised.

The most interesting part of this chapter was when Hohenheim was talking about what Ed and Al created. At the bottom of tha page, we have a front view of Hohenheim's face and Hohenheim seems to be turned slightly to look back at the room Edward is in. Almost if Hohenheim mentioned the possibility that Ed and Al failed completely merely because he wanted Edward to hear it.

Obviously, something you hear when you don't think the speakers know you're listening is often given more credibility then something you are told. Given Edward's initial reaction to Hohenheim, Hohenheim might have thought it best to share that bit of information in a way that Edward would have trouble not listening too.

And it isn't like Hohenheim would really need to ask Pinako about the body would he? If he had doubts about Ed and Al's attempts without even knowing exactly how they went about the transmutation, it seems likely that he has some higher knowledge about the process. How else would he know that something would likely have been 'off' with the body? Would he really need Pinako to confirm his beliefs?
Old 2004-12-14, 01:56   Link #6
Kai_Svenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarkand
On that I...

Spoiler:
Actually, I think the chair is necessary. In the terms of the manga, I am thinking that pride is believing oneself better than one is or closer to godhood than one is. The chair might just be a method of keeping Hohemheim alive longer than he should be, and thus would be father and Pride. Not how quickly he seems to leave already. He might not be able to leave the chair for long if it is him that was on the chair.

As for Hohemheim's reaction to his wife's death. Even if he isn't Father/Pride then I feel he was alliances with him/them. I think he knew of his wife's sickness, and was looking for a cure. Not only that, but the way she remained loyal and his words in this chapter that she knew he was doing that for her, but kept it a secret. Odds are through the philospher's stone, thus human translation, which being heavily frowned upon she kept secret.

If his is Father/Pride then he has his underlings looking for that reason. His one book seems to have a circle similar to that in the ruins Edward saw. Of course being Father/Pride would make him greatly older than he appears. It is possible that he was already working on the Philospher's Stone and had fallen in love with a normal human, Trisha, complicating his plans.
Old 2004-12-14, 02:23   Link #7
Gluttony
Homunculus

((Just noting that I'm new here, so hi))

This chapter me convinced that Hohenheim is the Father. Not only only because of his appearance, but also because of the warning he gives to Pinako.

Also, it seems like he knew Trisha was ill, and he left to find her a cure. He probably returned to tell her he was close to finding it. He isn't such a bad guy after all And I'm pretty sure that he's one of the Western Sages, and that he can somehow increase his life-span using alchemy. It makes sense.

Ling's story was nice, he's royalty ^^ I think Mei Chan is also a daughter of the emperor, and I really hope she and Ling will meet soon. It could turn out pretty funny

I'm looking forward to the next chapter. Looks like it's going to be very interesting, especially with what happened in the end of this chapter, with Dr. Marcoh. Looks like the homunculus are leading Roy on the path to using Human Transmutation to help Havoc. And of course, I really hope that Ed decides to return to Central and meets Mei chan on the way. She's an awesome character, and I want her to play a major role in the story. And I also want to see more of her alchemy, it's pretty cool.
Old 2004-12-14, 16:06   Link #8
someone1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai_Svenson

If his is Father/Pride then he has his underlings looking for that reason. His one book seems to have a circle similar to that in the ruins Edward saw.
Where did you see Ed's dad with a book? chapter? page??? i can't seem to find it in ch 42...

by the way, how do you pronounce the dad's name?? hoy hen hem????
Old 2004-12-14, 18:14   Link #9
jubileerain
manga psycho ^_^

Send a message via AIM to jubileerain
I think the book that Father was looking at is from volume 8. There's a small sketch of what looks like the sun, circles etc. @_@

As for Van Hohenheim Ehrlich, I think his name is pronounce Hoe Hen Hime.

I agree. Hohenheim definitely knew Ed was listening in on his conversation with Pinako. This guy doesn't dance around anything, he gets straight to the point. & since he seems to know Ed's personality pretty well, he knows Ed wouldn't listen if he told him to his face. Still, ouch! It may be the truth, but it must hurt Ed like crazy. I wonder if he'll tell Al? Afterall, this does mean they sacrificed a lot, for practically nothing.

One thing though, when Ed saw "truth," he said he probably needed to go back one more time, & that their human transmutation wasn't completely wrong, just lacking in some things.

Which makes me wonder if we'll ever know if Ed & Al really brought Trisha back.

I also wonder if Hohenheim needs a circle to do alchemy. It'd be interesting if he also saw "truth," & can just clap his hands together.

I supposed Pride could be Hohenheim. Because Wrath can produce a son, why not Pride? But, in the beginning, Roy was in the country looking for Hohenheim. If Hohenheim was Pride, then wouldn't Wrath just ask him to be a state alchemist himself? Why have Roy go ask? It seems Greed was the only sin to have runaway. Pride is still with them.
Old 2004-12-14, 22:08   Link #10
zarkand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubileerain
I supposed Pride could be Hohenheim. Because Wrath can produce a son, why not Pride? But, in the beginning, Roy was in the country looking for Hohenheim. If Hohenheim was Pride, then wouldn't Wrath just ask him to be a state alchemist himself? Why have Roy go ask? It seems Greed was the only sin to have runaway. Pride is still with them.
From chapter 24 it looks like Roy was out recruiting alchemist and happened on Ed and Al via false information. Speculation would lead me to believe that Roy's job in recruiting Alchemists ultimately was to find alchemist for the Sins little human sacrifice list going on. Roy would be doing there work for them without even knowing it. If Hohenheim is Pride there would be no need for Wrath to ask him to be a state alchemist. Also it would seem from Chapter 39 that Pride is doing something as Envy was surprised and shocked that he would be there, my guess he is on some long term project for their Father.
Old 2004-12-15, 15:17   Link #11
Lackadaisical

Obviously Envy and Gluttony wouldn't leave it behind but does anyone think the Father might complete Marcoh's Philosopher Stone and create a new Sin to replace Greed or Lust?
Closed Thread