Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-11, 17:08   Link #301
einhorn303

Spoiler for spoiler for Episode 01:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
All I have to say in regards to the long discussions about animation, etc. is that you people need to stop nitpicking over thing like framerate (seriously, who the fuck cares?) and take the value of the show based on plot and character development. Besides, there was nothing wrong with the animation in the first place. Anyone who is paying attention to the FPS of fabric in the background has too much time on their hands.
This is anime. Anime is the domain of otaku, and discussion like this has been a key part of it since people were recording Macross onto VHS tapes back in the 80's. I think analysis of animation is fascinating, and I buy entire shows just to watch 2-second shots looped over and over again.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 17:09   Link #302
Dop
Mmmm....

The 'fortress' was giving me strong vibes of Haibane Renmei's 'Old Home', even before we discovered...
Spoiler for ep.2:

I really want the back-story to be further explored.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 17:13   Link #303
einhorn303

Episode 02

Spoiler for Episode 02:
Old 2010-01-11, 17:18   Link #304
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post

I probably shouldn't of brought up my complaint about animation mistakes (Although I still stand by it) because it seems it diluted my original argument which was supposed to be focused on the fluidity of the character's motion and various corner cutting. To be clear I'm not necessarily opposed to the style, it's just that going with it usually is supposed to lead to higher quality animation looking at A-1's previous work, this show is a downgrade in both categories.
now it's animation "mistakes"... wow, seriously...

character designs, as far as I know, define how the characters look (hair color, clothing, facial features, etc.) and it can be easily associated to a particular style---as the name implies, it's the design of a character. it has very little do with how the animation is going to be handled, which depends entirely in the quality and quantity of animators hired by the studio, the storyboard/script, the director (or episode directors) and other people that form part of the staff. That's the reason why I'm not surprised when some people look forward to a particular show based on whom they hire to animate it. Even then, the level of detail (animation quality) varies depending on the time/money budget and some other factors. in my opinion, little to do with character designs, or the style used on them.

Quote:
I keep looking at this thing trying to figure out why it bugs me (Besides the stuff about placement in my previous post), so I compared it to other shows on how they handle similar angles and something struck me: all they did was flip it, did squeezed the left one together about 25% and added the line for the nose over the very end of it's right side. K-On (Comparison rooted in the similar style) handles this effect by making the perspective eye much, much thinner.
wow, seriously, you should stop trying to guess-estimate how the picture "should" look like or how it has been "theoretically" conceived. doesn't work that way, really...

Quote:
Nothing to do with style. I'm no expert but it seems like drawing body lines on slender characters is considerably more difficult than drawing ones for either a very overweight one or one that's completely covered in bulky clothes. If you accidentally draw pant legs or sleeves like these ones s little too wide or slim it'll be far less noticeable than making the same mistake with a bare arm or leg, correct?
wow, I was hoping for you to actually draw it, showing us that it was indeed easier compared to something else. =D

and do you remember what I said? for the animators to follow these character designs, they still have to worry just as much about proportions (and their unique traits) in order to create likeness, so the same character doesn't look dissimilar from one picture to the other.

is drawing bulky clothing easier than normal clothing? it's clothing, you still have to draw it, still have to create the illusion of form!!! still pay attention to the different parts that make up the clothing (like belts, boots, pockets, buttons, etc.), still worry about an imaginary light source, still worry about the level of detail, still worry about shadow shapes created by the multiple foldings, still worry about the size according to the height/proportions of the character, still worry about the general picture/composition, and they still have to worry about proportions in order to create likeness, whether the clothing ends up a bit too small or a bit too big.

is drawing clothing easier to do than the body itself? not really... neither one is easier...

Quote:
We're arguing around each other on this point. It's probably my fault for using language that sounded harsher than I intended.
and I should apologize for arguing like this... something about your comment really bothered me...
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 17:41   Link #305
Roardel

I can’t stop laughing at the "ghost" (though we can easily guess).

I like Kureha. She’s so cute.
And the opening movie. It reminds me of Elfen Lied so much.
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 17:55   Link #306
einhorn303

Other stuff on Episode 01 I forgot to post

Spoiler for Episode 01:
Old 2010-01-11, 18:05   Link #307
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
- At first I thought I'd dislike Kanata's VA. Apparently she's a model, and I've always disliked the trend of casting celebrities or models as voice actors...Hollywood does it way too often. But I was pleasantly surprised.
They've had a run of good luck with "celebrity" VA's lately, with Takabe Ai in Aoi Hana, Hoshii Nanase in Kemono no Souja Erin and both leads in Michiko to Hatchin.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 18:14   Link #308
Bombo
TSF Fans

Spoiler for Episode 2:
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 18:16   Link #309
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
They've had a run of good luck with "celebrity" VA's lately, with Takabe Ai in Aoi Hana, Hoshii Nanase in Kemono no Souja Erin and both leads in Michiko to Hatchin.
This isn't the first time Kanata's VA has done voice acting either. She did have a bit part as Edogawa's sister in Sora no Manimani; the school festival episode.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 18:56   Link #310
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This is an interesting group of seiyuus, so I've made a characters/seiyuus page showing pictures of each character and their seiyuu, along with info about each seiyuu. Here's a simple group shot to introduce them:

front (l-r): Kanemoto Hisako (Kanata), Kobayashi Yuu (Rio).
rear (l-r): Kitamura Eri (Kureha), Yuuki Aoi (Noeru), Endou Aya (Felicia).

This is Kanemoto's debut role, apart from the bit part Midonin just mentioned. She has done a couple of games: Sword World 2.0 and Tower of Aion. I thought she had been in show business before, as a model of something, but I can find no info about previous work in entertainment anywhere. Endou Aya (Sheryl in MacrossF) just seems to do every role well, with her soothing and flexible voice. And KitaEri makes a big impression as Kureha in episode 2.

And Yuuki Aoi, after breaking in a couple of years ago as Murasaki in Kure-nai, is now becoming a big name, cast in four current shows (see linked page), including as Mina Tepes in Vampire Bund. And she sounds different in all four roles. She has been an actress for years, having been in ten dramas and three films.

EDIT: Here's Yuuki Aoi's website "Aoi Town." Click "diary" to see her photo blog.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-01-11 at 21:23.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 19:20   Link #311
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
This is anime. Anime is the domain of otaku, and discussion like this has been a key part of it since people were recording Macross onto VHS tapes back in the 80's. I think analysis of animation is fascinating, and I buy entire shows just to watch 2-second shots looped over and over again.
Get a life much?
Old 2010-01-11, 20:19   Link #312
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
This is nothing like Nausicaa.
I was talking about the idea of the post-apocalyptic world itself. Not the production\animation\whatever
Old 2010-01-11, 21:00   Link #313
typhonsentra

At this point we're probably going to abandon this discussion as we're just repeating the same things over and over and talking over one another.... right after one last thing.

I can accept a lot of our differences, even the stuff about perspectives but... saying perfect proportions matter less with bulky clothes should be in no way shape or form controversial, the fact that it's gotten you so worked up it pretty weird. Her clothes subtly change change frame for frame quite a bit in the show but you never notice it because your eye can write it off as the clothes ruffling with her movement or the wind or something similar. We don't see too much of her without all her gear in the episode however....

Spoiler:

Unless she's just been freed from a concentration camp or part bird, her legs are messed up here (We see her legs again later, much more shapely then). When you mess up by making the pants slightly too big or slightly too small only a nitpicker going frame by frame would notice. However when the same is applied to arms and legs, even small mistakes can have bad results. By the way, this wasn't something that was just up for a single frame, her legs were like that for 10 whole seconds, sometimes they were even drawn thinner than in the capture.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 21:10   Link #314
sirn
田舎者言うな

Did anybody else notice in episode 2…

Spoiler for episode 2:
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 21:10   Link #315
Kunagisa

Episode 2 is great as well. In a group of 5 like this, there is usually one or two of the group that I am apathetic about, which is not the case here however. All of the girls are pretty likable so far, though Noel is probably my favorite at the moment. Kudos to Kitamura Eri for not making Kureha annoying despite the character's personality (ESPECIALLY Kureha's character type's the one that I hate most of the time); I honestly have not watched any of her shows since LastExile and Blood+ (unless if you count Bakemonogatari, which she did have an epic monologue after the end of one episode that I can't recall at the moment).

The music continues to be awesome. It is what I consider to be distinctive for this series. There are WAY MANY cliches in the episode, yet somehow everything felt refreshing and fall into place just because of the music.

Although I didn't notice in the previous episode but ...

Spoiler for 2:

Still no sign of where the story is going besides the hint dropped in episode 1, but that is expected of a setup episode.

PS: On a very random note, Cloud Age Symphony and Over the Sky are still the best and MOOD-FITTING OP/ED for me. DAMN IT GONZO WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE T___T
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 21:41   Link #316
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
PS: On a very random note, Cloud Age Symphony and Over the Sky are still the best and MOOD-FITTING OP/ED for me. DAMN IT GONZO WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE T___T
Cloud Age Symphony is definitely a favorite.

Funny you should mention that because this anime actually reminded me of Last Exile musically, and in the art. All vast distances of mountains and clouds really makes me think about Last Exile. Probably because Last Exile is literally ONLY mountains and clouds (that's all their world really has, to be honest).

My watching of this anime in any fashion was based purely off of the recommendation of someone in the General Anime forum in a topic intended to list what 2010 animes you like.

Surprisingly enough out of all the animes I've watched these last couple of days this was easily the best of them. I don't know how, but the prevalent K-On theme with the addition of really awesome looking tanks (when I say awesome, I mean when I saw it for the first time I did this: for about half a minute).

I'm not entirely sure what to say about this anime, considering it really does seem to be K-On if instead of highschoolers, they are in the military. The first episode excelled in trying to draw you in to watching the rest of the episodes, and the characters were all extremely likable. Even the characters who don't say a word and just fill up the background had likable qualities because they were either laughing and splashing people with water, or smiling and enjoying themselves. Even the uptight military man who drove her (Now I have to say, the last time I saw motorcycle driving like THAT, the male lead was in a coma for the rest of the school year) up to the town was nice past the formalities.
Old 2010-01-11, 23:20   Link #317
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep2:
Old 2010-01-12, 00:44   Link #318
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I wonder if the tank and dragon bones are related......

Also, anyone else think the girls are in pretty terrible spot? Just one tank holding an entire section of the border?
Old 2010-01-12, 00:48   Link #319
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
-Agreed that the walker tank is the spider of legend.
-Nomansland is quite probably ground zero of a nuclear war.
-It is possible that they lost basic cartography technology and the current map is a copy from a old military map that was used to only designate sites of major event's. Hence the numbering like einhorn303 pointed out (Nice find as I had no idea they were French numbers).
-The Japanese race that inhabited the place got destroyed and the current civilisation are immigrants hence they have no idea about the language.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 00:53   Link #320
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Spoiler for Ep2:
Spoiler for episode 2:
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life