AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-10-21, 04:08   Link #941
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Why comparing Shinji and Shuu among all things? It isn't like both were put in the same situation anyway (Shinji has a very drastic background, and in a much harsher setup).
Using another character as a "template" is anything but pertinent, especially considering how different they are.

Lack of emotional turmoil? To the contrary, there was, although the magnitude of it and the reactions were much more leveled, which is more realistic considering the whole deal slapped on his face.
Old 2011-10-21, 04:17   Link #942
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Nice animetion scenes, Mecha, Fanservice Pleas slap me. This is heaven.

This anime is cool. I thought I'd be happy just waching Gundam Age, and Boku Tomodachi (?) something. Then I found this. A perfect blend of both. Thank you I.G.

Definitely looks like Code Geasse. Won't say this ones better. Though I can surely say it's better and CGseason2. lol.
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 04:17   Link #943
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Man.. you can't even deny they copy-paste thing from Geass now >_>. 2 episode that looked awfully similar, has this ever happens before?

Oh well.. not like its a super bad thing.
Old 2011-10-21, 04:47   Link #944
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
In the end I'd say the episodes was the second episode was passable on the story front and excellent on the audio visual front yet again. We meet some more of the characters and by god is one of them silly. Of the ones we've met so far Gai seems like the capable leader type who isn't afraid to say the things that need to be said (so a good leader...yeah), Inori is kind of bland and still only comes off as a hawt character design, but these sorts of characters in mecha and sci-fi have a habit of turning out interesting later, Tsugumi seems plucky and as fanservicey as Inori (did they really need to have her direct a battle with her ass though? ), Ayase seems like she might have an interesting story pertaining to her being able to be of some use as a pilot despite not being able to walk and is also fanservicey, Shu is the type of main character thats starts off wussy and then gradually becomes less wussy.....and then there are the villains.

Oh my god the villains! I've been through Zeta Gundam, Victory Gundam, Code Geass, Gundam Seed Destiny and some other series with some brutish black evil villains, but I don't think I've ever come across a mecha series with villains that are this clownish that wasn't called SD Gundam Force. The closest possible exception is Gundam Seed Destiny, and what a surprise that I should find the same writer on that particular project. I don't think it could have been more possible to portray the occupation commander as any more willing to just go full on genocide if they tried. My god is this character's only speed just be an evil asshole. The scene with the mass shooting and the angel feathers....I think I get the implication now Yoshino...thanks for making it perfectly clear. Man, it's like Basque Ohm reborn, only somehow far less intimidating and ruthless and more just clownish.

The fact that our other new character manages to top him though is what truly blew my mind this episode. My first thought was, "really, this is the enemy ace they're going with for this arc?", my second thought was, "oh my god....this really is the villain they are going for with this arc". Ladies and Gentleman, Daryl Yan, I predict he will top future lists on most ridiculous and yet somehow popular mecha anime villain for years to come. This is like Orange-Kun level potential...I can only forsee a bright future for this character. We've got the dandiness, the "I'll tell my daddy on you" line said with a perfectly straight face and with attitude, the instant switch from pretty boy to snaring maniac killer (gotta make clear that Occupation bad, Undertaker good), this character.....this character....wow? I'm struck speechless....I think it's best to move on.

We get a bit of an explanation for the whole sword from Inori thing here. Something about void powers....I mostly got Kings Power make awesome weapon appear out of people. In any case the battle was stylish and insanely well animated and Sawano's music really shined this episode....I'm just not taking the plot or characters even the slightest bit seriously from this point on. Now where's my popcorn?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 05:13   Link #945
Ezilled

Followed by the storm of events right after its opener, my hopes and expectations had been successfully delivered and pique my interest. A solid episode mostly centered on infodumps of the Void Genome (The Power of Kings twitched my eye a bit), the revolutionaries and some of their important crews, and an "anti-hero" character named Daryl.

I'm quite interested about the Funeral Parlor's struggle as they opposed from the Military Government which tries to oppress the unblessed ones from the underground or perhaps the Japan itself. Something tells me that Japan had been selected as the breeding ground of a certain experiment lead by some scientists, driven by a research sample to rule the world, and so Gai must have been involved in the past from this view. Speaking of him, I thought he's just there for mindless battle, I was wrong, he's actually a deserving and well-rounded leader of the revolutionary for the better.

Mostly character-driven scenarios were the highlights of it. Shu somehow "accepted" Gai's deal in order to survive the chaos. He was pretty badass when he extracted the void into a vulnerable lunatic and fired up the Kaleidoscope barrier, successfully saved him and overthrow the Antibodies. He better not lead to another "I killed people, so I must become an emotionally-unstable unit". Nothing can top the subtle cuteness of our emotional dol-, I mean the main heroine of the show, Inori. I hope we could see some of her development as she "mandatory" transferred on his school for yet another school hijinks theme. Meanwhile I literally have no idea how Tsugumi's network-based battlestation works. There was this DDR movement where she tapped some puzzle/game-ridden windows to process some real-time data and control Ayase's matrix-style mecha unit. Very fanservice-y girl.

About the OP itself, it had ups and downs as well. As expected from supercell, I liked the message of the lyrics, musical arrange, but the vocal and "English" material were a bit over the line. Was it sung by Nagi Yanagi? If not, then I wouldn't buy it. The visuals were kind of stoic but great nonetheless. Cue on the next installment.
Old 2011-10-21, 05:27   Link #946
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
More like a net idol. Unless you live your life in front of your computer or someone you knew liKes to browse in the net. Then probably you won't know her.
Right,thanks to everyone that replied,makes sense.

I've also just rewatched Star wars yesterday and now I can't help but think of Shu as Luke , Inori as princess Leia and Gai as Han Solo.

Now wouldn't it have been something if Luke had to draw his lightsaber from Leia's chest
Old 2011-10-21, 05:52   Link #947
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well this episode certainly kills of any chance of a more sophisticated storyline but at least I can still enjoy the awesome production values and fawn over Inori. Honestly I don't think Shu''s that bad of main character. He's certainly average but not bad.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 05:53   Link #948
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well this episode certainly kills of any chance of a more sophisticated storyline but at least I can still enjoy the awesome production values and fawn over Inori. Honestly I don't think Shu''s that bad of main character. He's certainly average but not bad.
How can you say that after two episodes only ?
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 05:54   Link #949
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quite easily. Sophiscated storylines and characters kinda have a tendacy of showing that within the first episodes, at least from my experinece. Unless there's some serious change in the directing then I can't see how it'll change.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 06:02   Link #950
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
(did they really need to have her direct a battle with her ass though? )
Sorry to cut your excellent post down to this, but I want you to know that it is your fault that I will never again be able to hear Harbinger in Mass Effect 2 say "Assuming direct control!" without thinking of that butt shot. I hope you're satisfied.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 07:50   Link #951
RedWing

How did they know what type of weapon Shu would pull out of (generic super evil guy) Daryl?
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 07:54   Link #952
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Yay, an opening! The OP song was pretty good by itself, but it doesn't seem to match the visuals that go along with it too well. Actually the sequence wasn't anything too inspiring, but ah well - at least sounds like a decent song whose single to look towards.

As for the actual episode ... well, what can I say, the visuals are certainly superb - there are times when this show looks better than any TV series has business looking, it certainly has "effort" written all over it. I especially like the "void genome" swirly lines when a weapon is summoned, pretty cool stuff.

Plot and character wise it is decidedly average though. The antagonists are evil on a mustache-twirling level, whatever screentime the female characters get is there for fanservice reasons (because bumping holo screens around with your ass is totally the right way to coordinate a battle, subordinates must feel like their lives are in good hands ) and the supporting cast seems to be more interesting than the main cast.

What really made me raise an eyebrow, however, (besides the remote controlled robots whose consoles are deadly for their operators for a random reason, and a few other military-related things) was the very ending - namely, Inori transferring to Shu's class. A popular trope and all, but ... how in the world is it supposed to work in this setting

She is a terrorist that the army know the looks of. A member of rebels that the government is looking to stomp out, who also happens to be their most recognizable member because she likes publishing her songs on the internet. Someone who is likely to be instantly recognized, and someone whom the army would love to retrieve. But instead of lying underground ... she transfers to school? A public place with hundreds of people moving around daily, in broad daylight, and introduces herself by her real name?

I won't say anything if it actually turns out to be her plan to get captured, or have the whole school wiped out when the military comes knocking in their typical rabid-dog fashion, but otherwise ... a facepalm-worthy development.

Overall, I think the show would work better if it didn't try so hard to paint a serious-looking and grim background for the setting. It just comes off as jarring when contrasted against the over-the-top and arguably silly actions by the characters. And I can't help but find this mix of setting and characters (and their actions) a somewhat banal affair. The overall writing just doesn't posses the maturity to have this cast operate within the setting with convincing results.

It looks good, and it sounds good (the soundtrack is certainly something to get when it comes out), but aside from the pretty packaging it doesn't have a whole lot going for it. It's not terrible by any means, and should make for a pretty entertaining weekly watch that's easy on the eyes, but I can't help but feel it could have been much more if the writing was more - or less- mature, one way or another, not stuck somewhere in middle depending on which aspect you look at, leaving the whole show reeling off-balance.
Old 2011-10-21, 08:11   Link #953
wm4

Watched Ep2. I really like the tactics in the later half of that day.

Production I.G. is the maker of Blood+, Blood-C, Real Dive, Eden of the East, Sisters of Wellber, The Beast Player, Morshidora,
as well as many popular titles based on manga. PIG surely have the skills, and with decent writers like Hiroyuki Yoshino+Ichirō Ōkouchi,
the anime company can still make non-craps after their GITS Era.

I have confidence with the writers, espcially Okouchi, that is why I watch the show. I think the show is Ok so far, except the PIG's Right-wing
ghost it have been processed by. Without the ghost it is simply supra, but I will watch it to the end.
You people will definitely wanted to watch it, too.

Spoiler for Episode 2::
wm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 08:25   Link #954
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was really enthralled by the first episode despite its flaws which I was hoping would be kept to a low, or better, gradually fade. Unfortunately, those same flaws became even more apparent in this episode, to the point it ruined some of my enjoyment. Kaioshin said it best, I think:

Quote:
Oh my god the villains! I've been through Zeta Gundam, Victory Gundam, Code Geass, Gundam Seed Destiny and some other series with some brutish black evil villains, but I don't think I've ever come across a mecha series with villains that are this clownish that wasn't called SD Gundam Force. The closest possible exception is Gundam Seed Destiny, and what a surprise that I should find the same writer on that particular project. I don't think it could have been more possible to portray the occupation commander as any more willing to just go full on genocide if they tried. My god is this character's only speed just be an evil asshole. The scene with the mass shooting and the angel feathers....I think I get the implication now Yoshino...thanks for making it perfectly clear. Man, it's like Basque Ohm reborn, only somehow far less intimidating and ruthless and more just clownish.
The villains are a complete joke. My lord, those kick the dog moments in this moments in this episode had to be some of the worst I've ever seen. Special mention goes to Kaleidoscope dude. It's very hard to take such caricatural villain seriously.

Another problem were the plot holes that were already mentioned in other posts (Gai leaving the genome with Shu even though he had the opportunity to retrieve it; Gai's entire plan relaying on the weapon Shu would pull out of that guy even though there was seemingly no way he would have known about it). However, there is still a possibility we will be given explanations regarding this, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

The fanservice was also cranked up to eleven, but I expected as much given who's directing this. It's not too distracting so I'm okay with it for now. Besides, the eye candy is currently the strongest point of the show so I might as well enjoy it.

Quote:
We get a bit of an explanation for the whole sword from Inori thing here. Something about void powers....I mostly got Kings Power make awesome weapon appear out of people. In any case the battle was stylish and insanely well animated and Sawano's music really shined this episode....I'm just not taking the plot or characters even the slightest bit seriously from this point on. Now where's my popcorn?

Those first two episodes were mostly action packed, so even though it looks really bad right now, it might be too early to judge the plot yet. The next episode is the one that will make or break this series for me. I can't say Inori transferring to Shu fills me with hope though... that's a trope I wish they had avoided. Please don't be another half school comedy/half action anime!
Old 2011-10-21, 08:36   Link #955
EroKing

Gai can come up with quite some crazy plans, he seems pretty smart. He didn't like the fact Shuu got the power he was supposed to get.
I'm really expecting Gai to turn out to be a bad guy or even the final boss.
Old 2011-10-21, 09:21   Link #956
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Theory on the void weapons and Gai: it's possible that Gai already knows which Void weapons come out of key people. "Kill 'em all" Daryl is was probably one of many people profiled in the research for the void weapons and it was pure luck that he was there and that Gai knew about which weapon he contained. It makes some sort of sense that they would catalog the potential weapons of important people/ military guys, say the son of a high-ranking official. Lends more credence to the theory that Gai was somehow involved the development of the Void Genome system. The true test of whether this theory is true is if Gai starts knowing the weapons that come out of random Joes off the street. If he predicts the weapons from key higher-ups then that makes sense. If he predicts the weapon out of an unimportant homeless dude, its pure plot contrived crap.

Another thing: a group whose MO is containing contagions is shooting people? Isn't spilling blood unsanitary and counterproductive? I mean, I know why they show it: calling them puppy kicking mustache twirlers is not doing them justice but seriously. The right thing to do is to incinerate the people via flamethrowers
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 09:22   Link #957
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I dunno, this series went from best first episode of the season to meh. Didn't like how Gai allowed Shuu to keep the genome if it was for him, nor the part where Gai mysteriously knew that the power from crazy!blondGHQguy would be able to protect him. Maybe they will explain these things later on, but for now I'm just doing this.... >_>

That said, it feels kinda weird that HanaKana is voicing an oneesan type this time around. I dunno, guess I watched too much Basquatch in that female in wheelchair + HanaKana = loli lols. Not to say it's a bad thing, but just different for me.

Still, I like how the show contrasts Gai's reaction to the 2 different failures. With Ayase he's so nice and soft, but with Inori he lays down the smackdown lols. Can't help but feel that Gai has a soft spot for Ayase, but that might be just my shipper glasses talking.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 09:31   Link #958
Westlo
Lets be reality

^ you act like gai had a choice in regards to shu keeping his void power. Also gai put his plan into place when he knew thatguy was their, he even named his void power well before it was used. I'll say things have been planned for a while...

Quote:
For like the 8th billion time the soundtrack is by Hiroyuki Sawano, Supercell only did the theme songs. This Supercell/Sawano discrepancy is going to give me an aneurysm before the thread is out. Supercell doesn't even have top billing on the music credits, I don't see how people keep making this mistake.

Spoiler for Guilty Crown Music Credits Expressed In The Form Of A Picture:
People are obviously doing it because supercell is being pushed more in the promotion than Sawano... Since the Egotist album will easily outsell the bhm collections... Also that example of music credits from ANN is a bit lolzy... If you pay attention to the page you'll notice that they list the staff in alphabetical order... H comes before R.... The exec producer ANN list last out if the 5 is listed second in the OP....

Ryo is mentioned before Sawano in the PVs as well as the OP credits... Of course he's listed as theme and inserts songs so people really shoudnt be mixing this up. So yeah I agree with you but don't use ANN again for something like this...

Anyway I think sawanos doing a good job but it's definitely not on par with the first two episodes of AnE and Unicorn 1... Even if I counted that brilliant piece from ryo that started episode 1 it would still fall short.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 09:36   Link #959
AzureWrath

The more I think about it, the more likely that crazy dude's void was known because testing was done on him. Probably the excuse too for why he is so crazy. Just a random thought tho...
Old 2011-10-21, 10:19   Link #960
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

I just saw Guilty Crown episode 2.

I can certainly see the similarities to Code Geass, but it's diverging pretty quickly. In many respects, the more adult developments are really really drawing me in. Also the weaponry is pretty cool, the robots, the interface that cat girl uses, the way the piloting system works, and how Ouma can pull a unique weapon out of anyone is really really attractive to me.

I'm crazy about the OP, I'm crazy about the characters, and most of all I'm crazy about all the inserts. Oh, I'm crazy about Inori too.

If so, I'm sad . Where do I go order the blu-rays!

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig