AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-06-15, 15:57   Link #3641
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Wancott substitution was the winning move, even when i think both later goals were lucky. Especially the last, i don't think Welbeck goal was intentional
He was like "oh shit, where the ball go" before realising it inside the goal

Nice job England, still got Ukraina to go through, and winning top spot would likely help to avoid Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
Spoiler for Swedes and their photoshoppery:

What if England win this night instead?
Too bad, some of these would be hilarious
Old 2012-06-15, 16:03   Link #3642
Mentar
Banned

That was a bizarre 2:3 ... cool goal!

Congrats for England, to come back from that. Still, you really want to avoid Spain, folks. So you better win the next one with 2 or more goals.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 16:04   Link #3643
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

So, the less-bad team wins to earn a chance to be destroyed by Spain.

The game was truly awful.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 16:07   Link #3644
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Oh shit, I forgot about Spain... >______<
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 16:09   Link #3645
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Final round will be the race between England and France for goals, with chance of both Ukraina coming back and Sweden playing for pride. Gonna be interesting.

In theory, early CL semi gave England some boost if they have to face Spain. In reality, Spain is very different from Barcelona, and i don't think any team will get the chance facing them now (with exception of Germany, France or a high form Netherlands)
Old 2012-06-15, 16:11   Link #3646
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
In the end Olof was not enough. Nonetheless, this makes the last match Ukraine vs England extra interesting, and if England, makes it through the group Spain would be a nerve-cracking game played on half the pitch
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 16:15   Link #3647
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Knowing Roy, i suspect he may play Ukraine with draw setting in mind. Lots of pace for counter-attacks with the like of Rooney return, but i really hope that Young will be out, he was incredibly poor today
Old 2012-06-15, 16:17   Link #3648
Solafighter
Hige

Interesting game. At some point, i thought, Sweden would still make it. Sad, they didnt, in the end. Congrats to France.
Old 2012-06-15, 17:54   Link #3649
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Goodbye Sweden, sorry Ibra. That was a pretty intense match though, although their performance doesn't really fill with confidence. I mean, their stalwart defense are supposed to be their main strength, but they still ship in two goals that stems more from defensive mistakes instead of Ibra's brilliance or something else. Really, Glen Johnson is the worst player of the match imo.

And congrats to France, a pretty comfortable win. I think they're the first team to guarantee a qualification out of the group stages, then? As long as they don't lose too heavily...in any case, their match against the already hopeless Sweden is a dead rubber anyway, Ukraine-England is where it's at. Ukraine must win with no other option, and while it'll be more effective for England to park the bus and guarantee their survival, I'd hate to see them settle for a 0-0 draw.
Old 2012-06-15, 21:32   Link #3650
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Goodbye Sweden, sorry Ibra. That was a pretty intense match though, although their performance doesn't really fill with confidence. I mean, their stalwart defense are supposed to be their main strength, but they still ship in two goals that stems more from defensive mistakes instead of Ibra's brilliance or something else. Really, Glen Johnson is the worst player of the match imo.

]And congrats to France, a pretty comfortable win. I think they're the first team to guarantee a qualification out of the group stages, then? As long as they don't lose too heavily...in any case, their match against the already hopeless Sweden is a dead rubber anyway, Ukraine-England is where it's at. Ukraine must win with no other option, and while it'll be more effective for England to park the bus and guarantee their survival, I'd hate to see them settle for a 0-0 draw.
Their GD is +2, and England is +1 but more goals right? So if England lose 1-0, while France lose 2-0, they will still be out

To be fair, Glen Johnson got two successful last minute tackle so he atoned his sin a bit. the 2 goals were also down to set piece anyway, so it's not anyone fault.
First tournament own goal through?
Old 2012-06-16, 02:50   Link #3651
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Yeah, now that I count again they can still go home, it's goal difference before head to head after all. Johnson did some good save I admit, but if I'm not wrong one of them was because he didn't mark the Sweden player properly in the first place. I'm not sure Kelly, his replacement is much better though, so the right side seem to be England's weakest side.
Old 2012-06-16, 06:33   Link #3652
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Yeah, now that I count again they can still go home, it's goal difference before head to head after all. Johnson did some good save I admit, but if I'm not wrong one of them was because he didn't mark the Sweden player properly in the first place. I'm not sure Kelly, his replacement is much better though, so the right side seem to be England's weakest side.
The problem with Johnson is, he enjoy every opportunities going forward, leaving space for being exploited in the back. Even the German claimed so back in WC 2010.

He actually was even worse back then, but after spending half a season playing as LB (leaving RB position to his replacement Kelly)when he 's not so comfortable going forward, his defense have improved a lots to this current state....
...which is still bad, but hopefully it will not be another 4-1 on German if there's such encounter this time

On Kelly, he's actually a CB, but playing senior career as RB . He got pace. More defensively, as he played less risky than Johnson (as expected from a CB), and defend in the air pretty well (once again as expected by a CB). Going forward, he's standard England winger, suddenly accelerate , trying to pass the man, and cross in
Old 2012-06-16, 15:25   Link #3653
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Greece vs Russia was like Barcelona vs Chelsea all over again, just poorer quality in both side.

Edit: and yes, that #21 of Greece rolled around in the floor without any impacts, buy up some time and then stand up walk back right away from the line after being carried out

Edit 2: Russia and Poland out, Greece gonna face German i guess. I hope German crush them, but expected Greece will put 10 men behind the ball again and end that match in a close game

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2012-06-16 at 15:41.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 15:40   Link #3654
Aqua Knight

This is sparta!!!!
Old 2012-06-16, 15:45   Link #3655
Blaat

Honestly I don't like the way they play, but you know what thanks to the crisis I was really rooting them. Well done Greece.
Old 2012-06-16, 15:49   Link #3656
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Another horrible referee, denied a clear penalty, and gave two yellow cards present to Germany. Nonetheless, Greece played very well against a very strong Russia. But versus Germany if referees were negative towards Greece until now (loading players with cards, denying two penalties, and cancelling a goal already), when we play against Germany there is simply no chance for even a 90-10 game

As for number 21 (Katsuranis), he was limping inside the field in the last minutes.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 15:57   Link #3657
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Russia was playing as if they were already through. Greece sneaked through despite refs' best efforts to thwart them. Congrats.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 15:58   Link #3658
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

In most cases I just root for the underdog no matter how defencively they play so well done Greece. Congrats to the Cech Republic for making it through too.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 16:00   Link #3659
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Another horrible referee, denied a clear penalty, and gave two yellow cards present to Germany. Nonetheless, Greece played very well against a very strong Russia. But versus Germany if referees were negative towards Greece until now (loading players with cards, denying two penalties, and cancelling a goal already), when we play against Germany there is simply no chance for even a 90-10 game

As for number 21 (Katsuranis), he was limping inside the field in the last minutes.
I probably biased somewhere, but admittedly, that could be a penalty, or at least not a yellow. Then there's that free kick hitting the post. But this game simply reminded me how much i hate football:
  • winner have 30.9% posession (according to Eurospot) and 68% pass accuracy (so mostly clearance)
  • only goal down to defensive error
  • 23 fouls
  • guys rolling around on the ground like their leg was cut off, even without impact, then get back to running

Similar thing happensto German tomorrow and i will give up watching Euro
Old 2012-06-16, 16:16   Link #3660
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I probably biased somewhere, but admittedly, that could be a penalty, or at least not a yellow. Then there's that free kick hitting the post. But this game simply reminded me how much i hate football.
Americans are catching on to soccer. No matter what, there will always be the human element, when it comes to refereeing.

BUT

All these refereeing inconsistencies is the #1 reason to be annoyed by soccer. It is the job of FIFA to minimize referee decisions from affecting the game, as much as possible.

All 4 of the America's major sports have embraced the usage of technology, which are primarily used for game changing decisions. These include critical scores and verification of certain scoring events, like homeruns, touchdowns, 3-point shots, etc; however, decisions regarding "fouls" are not subject to replay review.

FIFA has been slow in adapting to sport technology; but at least, since the Germany-England World Cup 2010 round of 16 game, the idea of bringing goal line tech. is under the testing phase. It doesn't take more than a second or two to verify goals. I expect this kind of technology utilized for WC 2014 or even by 2018.

As for verifying "fouls" within the penalty area -- maybe, just maybe -- technology can be extended towards those decisions. It's tough to determine a legitimate foul vs a dive.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer