AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

Old 2012-10-22, 23:06   Link #1201
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Psycho-Pass & Robotics;Notes' Japanese Cast Event to Be Streamed

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...to-be-streamed
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 23:11   Link #1202
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... ep 1 looked kinda interesting premise wise, but after ep 2 I kinda think it may be a little too dark for me... maybe. I think I will periodically look into the thread over time and see how it develops. This may be a series I would steamroll when it is finished.

Yeesh ... for me Autumn 2012 is even better than Summer 2012 (though by only a little).
Old 2012-10-23, 06:40   Link #1203
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Psycho-Pass & Robotics;Notes' Japanese Cast Event to Be Streamed

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...to-be-streamed
It's on right now. Not really interesting so far, they're basically just talking about the merchandise. Kana is awesome though ("Nice chest!").

Kana's english is horrible but it's moe as hell. HNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG

Last edited by Kanon; 2012-10-23 at 06:56.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 15:25   Link #1204
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
but after ep 2 I kinda think it may be a little too dark for me... maybe
Writer: Gen "the butcher" Urobuchi

Does that sway your opinion on whether it'll be too dark for you or not?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 18:04   Link #1205
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I love the CONCEPT of Psycho-pass if it were mine would be dark
LOL
Old 2012-10-23, 19:03   Link #1206
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Two details I think nobody has mention.

1. The lesbian doctor is a latent criminal, thus proving that if your hue gets permanently too blurry you are shafted into working for the state (since not working at all is clearly bad for your mental health and any private institution would not accept latent criminals as employees). Liked how Akane wasn't intimidated by the blonde, she is no pushover.

2. The enforcer hit the suspect first and then read his hue, from what we know from such a surprising and brutal attack his hue should have rocketed sky high and there is a chance that he wasn't the perp they were looking for.
Plus, on this week episode of "Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo ep.3" the MC was also stalking a couple (my fansub said "tailing" but they clearly said the word "stalker") just the same as the guy in this week episode and it was something pretty inoffensive, I think there is a chance the enforcer was just looking for the right target to punch and the original perp calmed down when the enforcer arrested the stalker since he thought his criminal thoughts might get him some time in a mental institution.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 01:47   Link #1207
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Uhh, to #2. Not exactly. Getting angry from being punched doesn't (always) change the likelihood of getting angry by being punched.

Also, the enforcer was pretty sure about the target, and he was right.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 02:26   Link #1208
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
Two details I think nobody has mention.

1. The lesbian doctor is a latent criminal, thus proving that if your hue gets permanently too blurry you are shafted into working for the state (since not working at all is clearly bad for your mental health and any private institution would not accept latent criminals as employees). Liked how Akane wasn't intimidated by the blonde, she is no pushover.

2. The enforcer hit the suspect first and then read his hue, from what we know from such a surprising and brutal attack his hue should have rocketed sky high and there is a chance that he wasn't the perp they were looking for.
Plus, on this week episode of "Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo ep.3" the MC was also stalking a couple (my fansub said "tailing" but they clearly said the word "stalker") just the same as the guy in this week episode and it was something pretty inoffensive, I think there is a chance the enforcer was just looking for the right target to punch and the original perp calmed down when the enforcer arrested the stalker since he thought his criminal thoughts might get him some time in a mental institution.
You're twisting facts to fit what you want to see.

#1. Jumping to conclusions. For a start, we aren't even 100 per cent certain the doctor is lesbian. Viewers immediately came to the conclusion based on purely circumstantial evidence. Doing so is not unlike a late friend of mine who kept insisting that I'm gay because her "gaydar" says so. (No, I'm not. Couldn't be more straight. I've got no romantic attraction whatsoever to men.)

That aside, even if she is lesbian, I fail to see how that "proves" she got shafted into working for the state (and why is that necessarily a bad thing? Maybe the civil service is crap where you come from, but that's not the case in my part of the world). We don't know if she was flagged a latent criminal because of some other psychological condition. There is an implication that homosexuality may be considered a disease in this alternative reality, but we simply don't enough to say this is definitely the case. It'll be pretty ballsy for the series to explore this angle, but I highly doubt that is the intention.

#2. I echo Dengar. In addition, the man reacted first. He tried to push the enforcer aside and run away, forcing the enforcer to apprehend him forcibly.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 05:44   Link #1209
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Wow, I'm rather impressed with this show.
Akane having the luxury to even consider her purpose in life, whereas everyone else had the life planned out for them. People just...living for the sake of living.
Sky scrapers and busy city lights, and yet, it's all so cold and lonely.

The dark atmosphere is actually putting knots in my stomach...and I'm liking it.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 06:28   Link #1210
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
#1. Jumping to conclusions. For a start, we aren't even 100 per cent certain the doctor is lesbian. Viewers immediately came to the conclusion based on purely circumstantial evidence. Doing so is not unlike a late friend of mine who kept insisting that I'm gay because her "gaydar" says so. (No, I'm not. Couldn't be more straight. I've got no romantic attraction whatsoever to men.)

That aside, even if she is lesbian, I fail to see how that "proves" she got shafted into working for the state (and why is that necessarily a bad thing? Maybe the civil service is crap where you come from, but that's not the case in my part of the world). We don't know if she was flagged a latent criminal because of some other psychological condition. There is an implication that homosexuality may be considered a disease in this alternative reality, but we simply don't enough to say this is definitely the case. It'll be pretty ballsy for the series to explore this angle, but I highly doubt that is the intention.
That wasn't a changing room. It was an isolated work station. The fact that they were getting redressed rather quickly just before Akane came in certainly...implies stuff. Perhaps a bit when the Doctor was so complimentary when Akane came in afterwords.

That's the thing with works of fiction. Scenes like this are deliberately crafted by the shows creators to get a point across. And it was too low key I think to have been trying to work up a big misunderstanding. For one thing, Akane doesn't seem to care enough about what two consenting adults do behind closed door to make it a decent comical understanding.

Unless you can think of something more profound the creators wanted to imply those two were doing behind closed doors naked, we should probably assume they're lesbians.

...and I don't think he said that the doctor was a latent criminal because she was a lesbian...at least by this point I don't see anything indicating.
Quote:
The suspect also tried to run when he's confronted. In most countries the police are authorized to restrain you if you try to flee from them. It's considered highly suspicious to wanna get away from the cops that badly.

Considering so much of society is blissfully medicated in this setting, it really makes you wonder who exactly are the people who turn into runners when their Psycho-pass goes cloudy. Are they people who know that there's something wrong with them that's so severe, they suspect they could be committed for life as incurables? Or is there some unsavory part of themselves that they like?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 07:36   Link #1211
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That's the thing with works of fiction. Scenes like this are deliberately crafted by the shows creators to get a point across. And it was too low key I think to have been trying to work up a big misunderstanding.
In life and in work, I don't like to make assumptions based only on circumstantial evidence. There's always the benefit of doubt, and given what I do, I'm more than acutely aware of how context changes everything. I'm fine if others want to make the shortcut in reasoning, but I won't budge on this personal and professional principle.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 08:04   Link #1212
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
In life and in work, I don't like to make assumptions based only on circumstantial evidence. There's always the benefit of doubt, and given what I do, I'm more than acutely aware of how context changes everything. I'm fine if others want to make the shortcut in reasoning, but I won't budge on this personal and professional principle.
This isn't real life, and it isn't work. It's an animated series This isn't really about personal/professional principles.

What happened wasn't some weird coincidence. The people who made the show deliberately put this scene in knowing what it looked like at first glance. This means the primary reason the scene exists is to raise the possibility in our minds that the Doctor and the other Enforcer are lesbians.

The show creators would only have two reasons to raise the possibility that those two are lesbians. Because they are lesbians, or they want to make us think they're lesbians, but have it turn out that they're not.

Given Akane's nonchalance about the entire thing, I don't think they're gonna a pull a "But they're actually totally straight!" on us.
Old 2012-10-24, 08:15   Link #1213
Shadow5YA

Quote:
This isn't real life, and it isn't work. It's an animated series This isn't really about personal/professional principles.

What happened wasn't some weird coincidence. The people who made the show deliberately put this scene in knowing what it looked like at first glance. This means the primary reason the scene exists is to raise the possibility in our minds that the Doctor and the other Enforcer are lesbians.

The show creators would only have two reasons to raise the possibility that those two are lesbians. Because they are lesbians, or they want to make us think they're lesbians, but have it turn out that they're not.

Given Akane's nonchalance about the entire thing, I don't think they're gonna a pull a "But they're actually totally straight!" on us.
Every detail included by the writer or director may intentional, but that does not mean the intent is as significant or even the same as you believe.

There are still many other "reasons" - for fanservice, to illustrate that Shion does not have a formal or professional attitude, etc - that may not be signficant to the overall plot at all.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 09:03   Link #1214
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
I fail to see how that "proves" she got shafted into working for the state (and why is that necessarily a bad thing?)
Elemental my dear TinyRedLeaf, she got life without parole for a crime she never committed, she cannot leave the building so even if she has vacations or a high numbers salary at best she can buy some nice gadgets for her apartment. The only way she can meet new people is asking for a transfer to another area. So the problem is not precisely that she got to work for the government, working for a private company would not improve her situation. I highly doubt the doctor hue is cloudy due to her sexual orientation. I think it has more to due to the fact that she is a sexual predator.So someday when she hits her retirement age her reward for a life of service will be being transferred to a permanent jail, <sarcasm>isn't that wonderful?</sarcasm>

Quote:
#2. I echo Dengar. In addition, the man reacted first. He tried to push the enforcer aside and run away, forcing the enforcer to apprehend him forcibly.
Think of if for a minute, the guy was probably inebriated with alcohol (his ex-girlfriend is dating another guy by the looks of it, so it is the normal thing most men would do), then decides to follow them (she probably forgot to change her GPS key), then he gets stopped by the cops (probably hasn't checked his hue because hasn't gone home yet). Normally japanese are very law abiding, but most people under the influence of high doses of alcohol lose their inhibitions and do things they normally would not do. If his alcohol level is high enough he will probably wake up next day sincerely having no idea why he was apprehended.
Old 2012-10-24, 09:05   Link #1215
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

A girl comes out of another girl's room. The other girl is seen putting on her clothes. So were they playing canasta together?

Quote:
Think of if for a minute, the guy was probably inebriated with alcohol (his ex-girlfriend is dating another guy by the looks of it, so it is the normal thing most men would do), then decides to follow them (she probably forgot to change her GPS key), then he gets stopped by the cops (probably hasn't checked his hue because hasn't gone home yet). Normally japanese are very law abiding, but most people under the influence of high doses of alcohol lose their inhibitions and do things they normally would not do. If his alcohol level is high enough he will probably wake up next day sincerely having no idea why he was apprehended.
This does nothing to disprove the point that the guy should've been apprehanded swiftly. Which they did.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 09:26   Link #1216
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
This does nothing to disprove the point that the guy should've been apprehanded swiftly. Which they did.
I do not disapprove of the swift apprehension, my point is that they should have been tested his hue first, he was so focused on the couple he was stalking that the enforcer could have silently checked his hue (wan't the perp from episode one subjected to one such routine hue inspections?), I mean, nowadays is is becoming quite common for governments to check your vehicle speed (and sometimes issue a ticket automatically), why would they have to ask permission to check a potentials perp hue?
Old 2012-10-24, 09:41   Link #1217
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
why would they have to ask permission to check a potentials perp hue?
Showing some common cutesy?

But what difference would it have made? All checking the hue remotely would have meant would that they would have had to have just gone in and asked the guy to surrender...at which point he'd have done the exact same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
There are still many other "reasons" - for fanservice, to illustrate that Shion does not have a formal or professional attitude, etc - that may not be signficant to the overall plot at all.
And they just happened to do it in a way that made it look like the doctor and the other Enforcer were having fun with each other naked

I don't think it's gonna be a huge plot point either. Hence why the dropped the hints with a very brief sequence that nobody got worked up over, and wasn't even commented on in the episode. Frankly at this point I think it'd just be muddling the plot with pointless misdirection regarding the secondary characters relationships.

Why ARE some people so uncomfortable with the idea that two of the supporting cast are probably gay?
Old 2012-10-24, 10:09   Link #1218
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Why ARE some people so uncomfortable with the idea that two of the supporting cast are probably gay?
I don't care what the others say but I like some implied lesbians in my show I'm hoping to see some more in the next ep XD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 10:26   Link #1219
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
If anything, there aren't enough "Eww, lesbians!" comments in here considering the "O noez is diz ghei?" reactions in threads like K and Zetsuen. If the show ends up acknowledging/further hinting at their relationship, it's only right that there be more comments along the lines of "Such a shame they had to put this lesbian stuff in here. DROPPED.".
Kakkou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 11:28   Link #1220
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Showing some common cutesy?
Here police shake your hand and say "may I have your license" before giving you a ticket, that is courtesy; but I have yet to see a police that asks the owner permission to due a routine check on your cars license plate.

Quote:
But what difference would it have made?
IMO there is the possibility that guy they apprehended had a level of 90 atm they cops arrived, then he gets asked by the police for a check so he obviously thought "shit, the cops are going me to put me behind bars" and made the mistake of running, the police subdues him which is a reason for his hue to increase, so it might have reached the 100+ mark. So we go from a guy being heartbroken (which might have regained normal hue levels after some more alcohol and time to forget) to one having a criminal record. I understand that the guy might have eventually committed a crime (usually labeled "passion crimes", at least in the local media), but if every bodies hue is checked first thing in the morning, maybe this guy was just having a very bad day (which I think anybody has had one).

Tags
action, psychological, science fiction, thriller