AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-01-29, 19:44   Link #2121
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
It's too fuzzy for me to see what the joke is.
Old 2011-01-29, 19:57   Link #2122
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
It's too fuzzy for me to see what the joke is.
It's a Xenomorph.
Old 2011-01-29, 20:02   Link #2123
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
but I noticed on REI's last blog post she mentioned something about Heero's birthday apparently being today
Maybe this was the day his character design was finalised. Lol. Jokes.

This makes me wonder, though. When is Relena's birthday? Is it the 7th or the 8th of April? I'm confused. Operation M was executed on the 7th, wasn't it. But when Heero and Relena met, it wasn't her birthday that day, or was it? Off topic, I know. But... yeah. Curiosity, curiosity...
Old 2011-01-29, 20:09   Link #2124
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKnight View Post
Maybe this was the day his character design was finalised. Lol. Jokes.

This makes me wonder, though. When is Relena's birthday? Is it the 7th or the 8th of April? I'm confused. Operation M was executed on the 7th, wasn't it. But when Heero and Relena met, it wasn't her birthday that day, or was it? Off topic, I know. But... yeah. Curiosity, curiosity...
Her birthday is on the 7th of April.
Old 2011-01-29, 20:18   Link #2125
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
I don't think the 7th is accurate. When she finds Heero on the beach the sun is already starting to set. That or unless it was during the week and her party was on the weekend >>;;
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 20:41   Link #2126
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
They spelled her name Quaterine? Oh good lord this naming system is getting effing annoying. Here's a thought. The Gundam pilots that we know of are all apparently on Mars. Helloooooo Martian birth. ?
Martian birth ftw! Let's leave it at that, for my sanity's sake. xD

As for the spelling of names, I'd like to add some information on this matter.
First about the origin of the name. The name Katherine is originated from Greek, καθαρός (katharos), which means 'pure' or 'clean'. The spelling Katharine (with a middle a) was more common in the past and is currently more popular in the United States than in Britain. The form Catherine, corresponding with the French version, is also common in English. Less common variants in English include Katheryn, Kathryn, Katharyn, Katherin, Catharine, and Cathryn. Diminutives include Katie, Katy, Kate, Kathy, Kath, Kay, Kat, Katya, Katyusha, Kitty, Kit, Kasia and others.
Languages that don't feature a 'th', like German, will usually leave out the 'h' in the spelling and use i.e. Katarina or Katrin as localized forms.

As for pronouncing the name Catherine, English will usually pronounce it with a 'th' (like think), whereas French for example, will pronounce it with just a 't', like with Marie-Catherine d'Aulnoy.
From what Deacon has said there are two spellings in Japanese for the name Katherine. One is カトリーヌ (katoriinu) and the other キャサリン (kyasarin).

With all this in mind, how many 'Katherines' do we have in GW? We have Quatre's mother, Relena's mother, Trowa's sister, Quatre's sister and Sally's daughter. wtf Sumizawa. Since there's enough variety, all of them should get a different spelling, right? Based on phonetic, here's how I'd name them:

- 'Quatrine' for Quatre's mother. I'm almost sure her name is spelled カトリーヌ (katoriinu), hence sounding like 'katrin' (French pronunciation). Numerical theme naming applies because Quatre got his name from her and because quatre is four in French.

- 'Katrina' for Relena's mother. My subs give me 'Katrina' but Weridge clearly says 'katerina' which can easily be written as 'Katherina' but whatev.

- 'Catherine' for Trowa's sis. The reason it's with C and not K would be familiarity and funfacts. Obviously it's pronounced the English way, namely as キャサリン (kyasarin) (like Catherine Zeta Jones). Plus, Bloom sounds pretty English. But Catherine is originally the French way of writing it and since her bro's name Trowa derives from trois it fits.

- 'Kathy' for Sally's daughter. Sally is half American so original English spelling for her kid.

- And last but not least, 'Quaterine' for Quatre's sis. Again, it's written カトリーヌ (katoriinu) which should sound like 'katrin' (French). In this case numerical theme naming applies because of generation xerox. Heero stays Heero, Duo becomes Duo Jr. and Trowa Barton becomes Trowa Phobos. So Quatre ought to be Quatrine.

These are my humble two cents. I hope this helps somehow.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 20:50   Link #2127
Elo the Blue

Quote:
I don't think the 7th is accurate. When she finds Heero on the beach the sun is already starting to set. That or unless it was during the week and her party was on the weekend >>;;
That's certainly a possibility. Isn't her birth date mentioned in the technical manual?
Old 2011-01-29, 23:01   Link #2128
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

Whaddaya know, AboutGundamWing has a diary. Just looked it up lol. It says:

07/04/AC180 - Relena was born

06/04/AC195 - Operation Meteor was executed

[Assuming this is all 'Earth time' or GMT or whatever...]

07/04/AC195 - Boys land on Earth. Same day Heero and Relena first met. But then, before Relena finds Heero on the shore, doesn't she complain about daddy blowing her off for work? Doesn't she go: "Dad, have you forgotten that my birthday is tomorrow?!" - okay, NOT those exact words but I remember her whingeing about it and that her birthday wasn't that day.

So flash forward to her 'tomorrow'. The next day [08/04/AC195], Heero shows up in her school. She gives him an invite... for her birthday PARTY which happens tomorrow, which is 09/04/AC195... eep. So which one is it? 7th, 8th or 9th...?

Didn't realise Wing timeline has been twisted all along... LOL.
Old 2011-01-30, 00:12   Link #2129
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKnight View Post
Whaddaya know, AboutGundamWing has a diary. Just looked it up lol. It says:

07/04/AC180 - Relena was born

06/04/AC195 - Operation Meteor was executed

[Assuming this is all 'Earth time' or GMT or whatever...]

07/04/AC195 - Boys land on Earth. Same day Heero and Relena first met. But then, before Relena finds Heero on the shore, doesn't she complain about daddy blowing her off for work? Doesn't she go: "Dad, have you forgotten that my birthday is tomorrow?!" - okay, NOT those exact words but I remember her whingeing about it and that her birthday wasn't that day.

So flash forward to her 'tomorrow'. The next day [08/04/AC195], Heero shows up in her school. She gives him an invite... for her birthday PARTY which happens tomorrow, which is 09/04/AC195... eep. So which one is it? 7th, 8th or 9th...?

Didn't realise Wing timeline has been twisted all along... LOL.
Relena actually said, "Father, don't you realize my birthday's coming up soon?"

I was aware of About GW's timeline but forgot to check it out.

There's a definite disconnect between whatever timeline they got their April 7th date from and what was said in the series. Maybe it was a goof and Relena's birthday is indeed the 7th and she celebrated it on the 9th. Or maybe the timeline is just wrong.
Old 2011-01-30, 00:29   Link #2130
Kitsoru
:3c

Relena's birthday is a definite April 7th, that's not up for debate. It was MEANT to coincide with the Gundam Anniversary, the premiere of Gundam Wing, etc.

But I wanna know where this birthday for Heero came from...

BTW, AboutGundamWing's timeline is, while well-researched, mostly fanon. The only canon timeline is the one in the back of Episode Zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Sally is half American so original English spelling for her kid.
lolwat? Sally is listed in technical guides as of 'Western European descent' which strikes me more as British/English than anything else, and in the episode where she meets Wufei, she is clearly referred to as being from the nation they're in (a small Alliance-run nation split off from China), and her last name is Po. So if anything, she's Chinese-English. Otherwise, I agree.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 00:54   Link #2131
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Relena actually said, "Father, don't you realize my birthday's coming up soon?"
Woops. *facepalm*

But neither 'soon' nor 'tomorrow' makes her birthday the 7th IF the Gundam Pilots landed on Earth that day. Isn't Operation M supposed to coincide with the legendary April 7 as well. *sigh* Anyway. Carry on, everyone. I was just curious.
Old 2011-01-30, 06:03   Link #2132
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
lolwat? Sally is listed in technical guides as of 'Western European descent' which strikes me more as British/English than anything else, and in the episode where she meets Wufei, she is clearly referred to as being from the nation they're in (a small Alliance-run nation split off from China), and her last name is Po. So if anything, she's Chinese-English. Otherwise, I agree.
Oopsie. I had read half American, half Chinese somewhere, so I remembered her as that. Never bothered to check an official source because it made sense. Unlike people claiming Trowa to be Latin American. I didn't know it was 'Western European descent'. Sorry about that. Misinformation on my part.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 10:31   Link #2133
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Technically Operation Meteor launched on April 6th according to the Glory of the Defeated manga.

And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Old 2011-01-30, 10:45   Link #2134
wingzerosnuggles

Quote:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall....
Spoiler for Who's the fairest of them all? :D:

Snow White Heero and Evil Warlock Duo offering a poisoned apple? Interesting. xD

@Deacon Any chance we could get summaries of the chapters thus far? I know full translations are labor intensive and take a long time so it would be nice to have even just a bulleted summary of what's happened per chapter to tide us over.

Also, for those of us too lazy to read. Zeonic CliffsNotes?
wingzerosnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 15:01   Link #2135
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

You mean a summary of the novel chapters?

Old 2011-01-30, 15:05   Link #2136
Kitsoru

Quote:
Technically Operation Meteor launched on April 6th according to the Glory of the Defeated manga.
Yeah, that would make a lot more sense.

Seconding the summaries request. And Ace should be in my mailbox tomorrow if not today.

EDIT: Yeah, of the novel chap's.
Old 2011-01-30, 15:23   Link #2137
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Haha, you mean moreso of the bullet points that I've been giving from the blogs and what not?

Old 2011-01-30, 15:40   Link #2138
Kitsoru

Quote:
Haha, you mean moreso of the bullet points that I've been giving from the blogs and what not?
Yeah, sort of. People I know keep asking me for summaries of the novel so far/where they can read it thus far and this thread is too monstrous to send them to to figure out what's going on (and now stargazerlilly's chapters are down, so..).

Just a collected list/paragraph format(?) of the main points of each chapter so far, I guess? It could work as our shorthand English-language version of the upcoming tankobon Or, as wzs said, cliffnotes.
Old 2011-01-30, 17:30   Link #2139
Elo the Blue

Can I third the bullet point request?
Old 2011-01-30, 19:32   Link #2140
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

Quote:
Yeah, sorry that's what I meant, and then they land on Earth on the 7th. And that's when Heero and Relena first met. So that doesn't really make Relena's birthday the 7th now, does it. Because on that day she said her birthday is coming "soon". That's what I'm confused about... but it's no biggie.

Tags
frozen teardrop, glory of the losers, gundam wing