AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2022-02-04, 21:06   Link #21
Gerard07

Seen the chapter, both Law and Kid apparently gave it their all in their last attacks, which have the power of their fruits at maximum power (correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like they used haki like Luffy and Zoro right?), although they don't they cut the sky like Yonkou's attacks (they still need to reach that level by themselves), well we will have to wait to see if Big Mon was defeated with that or not, to wait for the next chapter.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-05, 00:51   Link #22
Rainbowman

This battle seems to have ended on a cliffhanger. Hope the next chapter shows us the results.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-05, 10:43   Link #23
Kaz_

For the love of god woman, stay dead already. This is getting very bleach-y even for shonen standarts.
It just keep lingering and lingering and we still have a Kaido battle in our hands.
One defeated Yonkou is more than enough, maybe Kaido can withdraw for all I care by now and delay their battle for another day.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-05, 11:28   Link #24
necrolyte

I think this chapter is great. Awesome attack from Law and finally we saw Kid doing something other than sending scrap towards BM. And I also hope that BM stays down at least for a couple of chapters, cuz I think this fight already took long enough.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-05, 12:26   Link #25
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz_ View Post
For the love of god woman, stay dead already. This is getting very bleach-y even for shonen standarts.
It just keep lingering and lingering and we still have a Kaido battle in our hands
Aside from a select few, the Emperors have been built up as the strongest characters in the series. If Big Mom lost to anything less than this, people would be calling bs
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-05, 15:12   Link #26
Tuor

I seriously doubt that Big Mom will be dead at the end of this. She still has narrative importance which hasn't been brought out (like how she has devil fruit powers). OTOH, her defeat seems pretty certain now, and her position has definitely been degraded at this point. But actually dead, like Whitebeard? No, I don't think so.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-05, 15:55   Link #27
grecefar

Well they did a number on big mom, they use everything in their repertoire so is was cool they won that way against her.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-05, 16:45   Link #28
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
I seriously doubt that Big Mom will be dead at the end of this. She still has narrative importance which hasn't been brought out (like how she has devil fruit powers). OTOH, her defeat seems pretty certain now, and her position has definitely been degraded at this point. But actually dead, like Whitebeard? No, I don't think so.
I don't think she's dead yet, but I think she'll likely die soon. What do you think her character would do if she remained alive after Wano?

I think she'd heal quickly and get back into the story as a power player which I don't see happening for narrative reasons. And I also doubt she'd go back to O-Lin forever since we've seen how she can be snapped out of that personality and then we'd be back at square one with her. Maybe a prisoner? But she seems too powerful for that to hold her long and again we'd be back to square one
Old 2022-02-05, 19:25   Link #29
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
I don't think she's dead yet, but I think she'll likely die soon. What do you think her character would do if she remained alive after Wano?

I think she'd heal quickly and get back into the story as a power player which I don't see happening for narrative reasons. And I also doubt she'd go back to O-Lin forever since we've seen how she can be snapped out of that personality and then we'd be back at square one with her. Maybe a prisoner? But she seems too powerful for that to hold her long and again we'd be back to square one
She's not dying. Oda clearly hates killed off characters outside flashbacks, the only time he did it was to move the plot forward by leaps and bounds. Big Mom being defeated or being killed makes no difference at the end of the day. An Emperor has been toppled by the new generation, it's the only thing that matters.
Old 2022-02-05, 22:30   Link #30
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Oda clearly hates killed off characters outside flashbacks, the only time he did it was to move the plot forward by leaps and bounds.
Exactly. Wano is basically Marine Ford 2.0. And like I asked, what do you think she would do if she stayed alive? She's too powerful and prideful to just go away.

I doubt her or Kaido make it out of Wano alive. Kaido might pull a team switch at the end and die for the new Joy Boy, but Big Mom wouldn't do something like that
Old 2022-02-06, 00:52   Link #31
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
To me this feels like a Video game boss. probably closer to a raid boss than your typical (or rather, old school) JRPG Boss. Or maybe a Hidden Boss (even though the Emperors obviously aren't Hidden). You have to throw everything you have at them, still take time to replenish your own side, and it literally takes HOURS to kill the boss. Anyone here old enough to remember the Kingdom Hearts II Sephiroth battle? Where not only did he have devastating, bring-you-to-one-HP attacks, he also had FIVE FULL health bars? And don't make me bring up the Final Fantasy XV Adamantoise battle...

Yes, I admit that these Emperor battles are dragging a bit. But these are also the strongest in-universe characters, so you SHOULD be throwing everything you do and don't have at them to win. Otherwise, you get the calls of bs and Deus ex Machina going on.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-06, 09:28   Link #32
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Exactly. Wano is basically Marine Ford 2.0. And like I asked, what do you think she would do if she stayed alive? She's too powerful and prideful to just go away.

I doubt her or Kaido make it out of Wano alive. Kaido might pull a team switch at the end and die for the new Joy Boy, but Big Mom wouldn't do something like that
She could very well be imprisoned, worked with Shiki and Kaidou, for a time at least. Or she could just be completely demotivated after this and hole herself up in her kingdom.
Old 2022-02-06, 15:42   Link #33
Tuor

She's been using a lot of her own soul to heal herself. Since she consumed Mother Carmel and is using Carmel's DF power, it's possible that she might lose that capability. If she does, she'll no longer be nearly as dangerous and will cease to be an Emperor for that reason alone. There are other things that might end up causing her to lose her Emperor status, but for some reason I think that's the most likely one as it makes the most narrative sense. But, Oda will probably come up with something better than I can think up.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-06, 16:38   Link #34
necrolyte

I think that BM will just have to go to her kingdom after this arc and lick her wounds. The only other solution I see is being imprisoned. I don't believe Oda will kill her, nor do I believe that he would kill Kaido, but for Kaido I think he has more options after this, as he was never a character that holds grudges for too long. He might even back up Luffy in the future to become the Pirate king.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-06, 16:48   Link #35
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Kaido's always been looking for a place to die, and if Wano is supposed to be the new world's version of Marineford, or even surpass it, I can see it happening by him being Luffy's first official "kill". As for Lin Lin, as much as I want her out of the picture already, Luffy's declaration of beating her to make Fishman Island his territory is still in the back of my mind as the it factor for not writing her out of the story completely, not until that's settled at least.
Old 2022-02-06, 20:33   Link #36
Orochiro

Really disappointing that we didn't get to see any use of advanced CoC or DF Awakening by Big Mom in this fight, assuming that it is actually over with this. I don't think that she will die in this arc though because there are still some unresolved plot points related to her along with her connection to Elbaf. Hopefully this fight is over soon anyway because Wano arc has dragged on for way too long at this point.
Orochiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-07, 19:41   Link #37
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
She's been using a lot of her own soul to heal herself. Since she consumed Mother Carmel and is using Carmel's DF power, it's possible that she might lose that capability. If she does, she'll no longer be nearly as dangerous and will cease to be an Emperor for that reason alone.
Big Mom losing her DF is an interesting idea. I'm still half expecting Blackbeard or at least some of his crew to show up on Wano too and stealing DFs is their specialty. They wouldn't resist Big Mom's if she was incapacitated. Shiryu has Wano ties iirc, so I think it's possible he winds up here at some point
Old 2022-02-08, 13:52   Link #38
Gerard07

Today there should be some spoilers about what will happen with Big Mon, right? Although next week there will surely be no chapter, it's a shame but hey, we'll have to wait.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote