AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-11-05, 14:39   Link #1521
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Visuals aside, the way how she talks is intended by the author from the very beginning.
This is part of the sage personality trait you can decide in a d&d campaign.
Old 2018-11-05, 14:40   Link #1522
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
GS airing late at night is probably what lent a bigger weight to BPO letting it side more than anything else. I don't know about LN and manga but rest of the series has been relatively tame so far at least for violence and there hasn't been any blunt depiction of rape since episode 1 so that might be a factor too.
I found it very similar to the manga (90%), crushed heads, dismemberments and piercing with arrows and swords. At least I feel that way.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-05, 15:22   Link #1523
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Visuals aside, the way how she talks is intended by the author from the very beginning.
Thanks. That’s really been bugging me.
Old 2018-11-05, 15:36   Link #1524
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgaesh View Post
As a LN reader, I didn't like the way they portrayed Witch. The anime visuals doesn't make her justice and her way of talking does not make her hot, at least to a westerner.

I just hope that they portray Sword Maiden right. Who I'm kidding, they mostly likely won't.
it's not hot. It's moe~
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-05, 16:30   Link #1525
Belgaesh

Quote:
At least I now understand her voice, even though her visuals still needs improving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Thanks. That’s really been bugging me.
Me too.
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-05, 18:42   Link #1526
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Meanwhile, westerners had a very different context: CR didn't properly rate the series and left a PG rating (which is like 7 years old+). But then again, a lot of those complaints claim that scene is basically a testimony of "rape culture", so I'm pretty sure a proper rating wouldn't have changed anything for those persons.
So, to sum up (again?): CR for whatever reason Did Not Do Their Research... and neither did, it seems, the complainants. And if I understand the term 'rape culture' correctly, it implies glorification of the act... which this series definitely does not do. And neither does a similar arc in the story of a certain Vietnam veteran surnamed Castle, since we're on the subject (reference)

Last edited by Firefly00; 2018-11-05 at 18:43. Reason: ...spelling.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-05, 20:18   Link #1527
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
So, to sum up (again?): CR for whatever reason Did Not Do Their Research... and neither did, it seems, the complainants. And if I understand the term 'rape culture' correctly, it implies glorification of the act... which this series definitely does not do. And neither does a similar arc in the story of a certain Vietnam veteran surnamed Castle, since we're on the subject (reference)
Some people these days have no idea about what some words or expressions actually means. Its like someone calling nazis to everyone opposing their beliefs. All the controversy regarding GS is just a big testimony of hypocrisy by having folks being extra bias towards a certain topic and escalating it to ludicrous and false assumptions. Goblins in this story were made to be hated and despised by not only the audience but also by it's own characters in the anime's narrative. How is that glorifying rape? Quite the opposite actually. If people want to see a real rape culture, just take a look to what is happening in some zones in asian countries where molested women are stoned to dead because people found out they were raped and nothing happens to the men since they have a green card to portray such actions. On the other hand, Goblins are eviscerated and irradicated every time one of their caves/nests are found instead of being treated like kings or ignored for doing what they do. And that shiet is not even used as an excuse for fanservice in the anime unlike certain TV series out there that no one cares about for some reason. The hero of this story only lives to destroy those rapist goblins for crying out loud but yeah, goblins being the coolest modafukers in the neighborhood is the logic conclusion so it seems. Because only reaching such conclusion could one actually explore the possiblity of the author being glorifying rape in his story. But then again, could a story about badass yanderes have the same treatment? By the same logic, is it not glorifying murder and torture (it's as bad as rape) for our pleasure? Real life =/= fiction. I miss the times where this was common sense...
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-05, 21:29   Link #1528
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I been liking the anime so far but the one thing that i didn't like is Cow Girl's voice. It's just too childish for someone whose possibly now in her late teens or twenties. It was fine when she was a child but not when she's now an adult.
Old 2018-11-05, 23:58   Link #1529
Twi

So, apparently GS is the top show in the US via Crunchy Roll: Link
Spoiler:
Old 2018-11-06, 06:36   Link #1530
Sixth
Hu Tao

^ Wow, that was impressive. I mean this season has a lot of strong contender such as Index, Jojo, and SAO, and GS is just a newcomer.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-06, 07:16   Link #1531
RDNexus

Not surprised. GS has already shown a lot while SAO & JoJo are just beginning. Index is another can of worms...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-06, 07:46   Link #1532
eisai_haramasukoi

Thanks to Episode 1. GS production crew managed to make a lasting first impression.
eisai_haramasukoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-06, 08:18   Link #1533
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Spoiler:
As for France, the graph may be a little different once you know that Crunchyroll dont own the licenses for Jojo and Gobslayer, those two are respectively distributed on streaming by Anime Digital Network (Kaze) and Wakanim.
Old 2018-11-06, 08:21   Link #1534
xeviouses

I wonder how much of that is genuine curiosity and anticipation of the show itself versus the controversy of episode 1.(No thanks to CR screwing the ratings up by not doing their research)
Old 2018-11-06, 09:08   Link #1535
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
^ Wow, that was impressive. I mean this season has a lot of strong contender such as Index, Jojo, and SAO, and GS is just a newcomer.
The others don't have raep on first episode, so they lose. Just kidding.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-06, 09:51   Link #1536
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
Some people these days have no idea about what some words or expressions actually means. Its like someone calling nazis to everyone opposing their beliefs.
Indeed, making this example of, well, double-layered Failing to Research...

Quote:
All the controversy regarding GS is just a big testimony of hypocrisy by having folks being extra bias towards a certain topic and escalating it to ludicrous and false assumptions.
...cherried with violation of 'thou shalt not assume...' (the rest of which saying I suspect we both know).

Quote:
On the other hand, Goblins are eviscerated and irradicated every time one of their caves/nests are found instead of being treated like kings or ignored for doing what they do. And that shiet is not even used as an excuse for fanservice in the anime unlike certain TV series out there that no one cares about for some reason. The hero of this story only lives to destroy those rapist goblins for crying out loud but yeah, goblins being the coolest modafukers in the neighborhood is the logic conclusion so it seems. Because only reaching such conclusion could one actually explore the possiblity of the author being glorifying rape in his story.
Quite so. Consider by way of comparison the many reprehensible folks who had the terminal misfortune of attracting Mr. Castle's professional attention. Many of them do enjoy the high life, as it were, protected by wealth and connections; the rapists among them don't even have the 'excuse' these goblins do... yet they are still shown quite clearly as the scum they are, and all of them end up shuffled off the mortal coil. The slavers from the eponymous arc referenced above? The means by which their leading trinity are dispatched are worthy of special mention, and can be seen here.

Quote:
Real life =/= fiction. I miss the times where this was common sense...
Those times are indeed missed, sir; it is such a pity that 'common sense' appears so... oxymoronic these days. The reasons for this being so, of course, merit a whole other thread.

On a completely different note, the fact that it's made clear that, aside from training, GS has Done His Research, and the discussion here about how adventurers know (or don't) about the various creatures out in the world makes me wonder how well a fantasy story revolving around a character inspired by the late Steve Irwin or Jacques Costeau could work. Specifically, for him (or her) the monster-slaying and treasure-collecting is slightly less important than documenting the creatures' behavior, abilities, and so on because, as noted, they're a widespread problem and adventurers - not to mention town militia, actual military units, and so - will need to know this.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-06, 11:06   Link #1537
Sacredus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Spoiler:
Oh wow. I wonder how EU map would look like if this show was not region locked.

That reminded me, do we have topic for "our favorite show this season"? I remember there was similar topics for most anticipated series but they're gone now
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-06, 11:25   Link #1538
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Indeed, making this example of, well, double-layered Failing to Research...

...cherried with violation of 'thou shalt not assume...' (the rest of which saying I suspect we both know).

Quite so. Consider by way of comparison the many reprehensible folks who had the terminal misfortune of attracting Mr. Castle's professional attention. Many of them do enjoy the high life, as it were, protected by wealth and connections; the rapists among them don't even have the 'excuse' these goblins do... yet they are still shown quite clearly as the scum they are, and all of them end up shuffled off the mortal coil. The slavers from the eponymous arc referenced above? The means by which their leading trinity are dispatched are worthy of special mention, and can be seen here.

Those times are indeed missed, sir; it is such a pity that 'common sense' appears so... oxymoronic these days. The reasons for this being so, of course, merit a whole other thread.

On a completely different note, the fact that it's made clear that, aside from training, GS has Done His Research, and the discussion here about how adventurers know (or don't) about the various creatures out in the world makes me wonder how well a fantasy story revolving around a character inspired by the late Steve Irwin or Jacques Costeau could work. Specifically, for him (or her) the monster-slaying and treasure-collecting is slightly less important than documenting the creatures' behavior, abilities, and so on because, as noted, they're a widespread problem and adventurers - not to mention town militia, actual military units, and so - will need to know this.
You put a finger on a part of the titular character's appeal. Speaking as the citizen of a country, France, whose leaders are seen by some people as laxists at "best" and "traitors" at worst when it comes to topics such as petty criminality (the Chinese community in France is often targeted by the delinquents because "those chinks have a lot of money on them") or terrorism (from Charlie Hebdo to the Bataclan), some find the idea of a vigilante exacting retribution on criminals of all strokes where justice failed highly seductive. People want to believe that, one day, all of those will be punished by someone, where the society and God failed.
Old 2018-11-06, 11:32   Link #1539
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
Oh wow. I wonder how EU map would look like if this show was not region locked.

That reminded me, do we have topic for "our favorite show this season"? I remember there was similar topics for most anticipated series but they're gone now
You can make those topics if you want to.
Old 2018-11-06, 12:53   Link #1540
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Finally caught up.

Episodes feel long when watching them, which is usually a sign that I am not too immersed, unfortunately. But at least episodes 2-5 were much better in the aspect that they didn't feel like their script was trying to hammer something into me like a broken clockwork anymore, which really annoyed me about the first half of episode 1. Also it reminds me of those days I used to play "The One Ring" Table-Top game. Curse that one time I was casually scouting the river and just happened to roll a critical failure which instantly resulted in a monster attack.

All-in-all, up until episode 5, Goblin Slayer is a solid 7/10 for me.

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy