3 out of 10: Bad... 2 3.85%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 1 1.92%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-11-22, 10:33   Link #81
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post

Like I said, and people wanted to snuff me out, but the battles in this show are what you would find from a Yugioh card fighting another card...Just quick one-off cool things that have no rhythm or flow in-terms of an organic battle...And Yugioh had some damn awesome card summonings, so I don't wanna diss it like that, I'm just saying, kid or no kid show, cool action should be cooler than this...Next ep he's gonna do some pummel-hammers in the Fraky Franky Gundam...Looking forward to that I think^^...
come on, yu gi oh's monster battle is much cooler than this show XD (This is from someone who has watched the whole yu gi oh 5D series, btw 5D is a great series, I recommend ppl to give it a try...at least in my opinion it is much better than Age...)

But agree with everything else, not only the battle scenes seem disjointed, but the whole sequence of events was handled in a weird way. Genoace "teleports" from base to battlefield and gundam "teleports" from battlefield to base to battlefield again...I am not asking to show the whole sequences of how Gundam and Genoace make it to their destinations, but it is very disjointed and audiences will have trouble of feeling involved because of this (at least I do )

and I have decided to drop this show...maybe I will watch the highlight of action scenes, but feel no interested at all about the story development...I think I should wait for the seed remaster instead XD

and once again, 5D is a good series, you won't feel disappointed with the battle scenes XD

I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-11-22 at 22:31. Reason: Please don't discuss rep (forum rule 4.4)...
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 10:40   Link #82
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist_Classic View Post
Do we actually know the official structure of the season?
We don't.
Old 2011-11-22, 11:07   Link #83
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

... I also like Yu-Gi-Oh! (My av & sig say it all) .

Wow, many people already dropped this series. I guess AGE really isn't meant for us , the old Gundam fans. I'll keep following it though since the OP song is still catchy.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-11-22 at 22:32. Reason: Please don't discuss rep (forum rule 4.4)
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 11:13   Link #84
JC...
I am a Pie

I gave this series a try, but for me it seems like a watered down version of the Gundam series' we've seen over the past few years, and there's nothing particular of interest to me personally. I do like the Gafrans though.
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 11:18   Link #85
justavisitor

@Obelisk ze Tormentor
hmm, i don't like the op tho...the ed is much better in my opinion

and i might watch zexal instead of gundam...it's not that this age series is aimed for kids, so i hate it...i also love to watch other animes that are for kids, it's just that this series is not good enough... kid shows can be good but unfortunately gundam age is not a good kid show...it's like they are trying to make adjustments to please all sides but ends up failing on all fronts...seriously, by all means, if they think kids are the main customers for gundam then plz make the age series to be even more kiddy, I will probably watch it if that's the case, but not at this current state
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2011-11-22, 11:38   Link #86
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
@Obelisk ze Tormentor
hmm, i don't like the op tho...the ed is much better in my opinion
Both songs are good to me. To be frank, those songs are the only reason I still follow each new episode.

I also agree about AGE maker to go all out. If it's kids that you aimed, don't add those serious issues like warring factions and corrupt government. Also, make it more colourful and crazier than...erm...G Gundam for example .
Old 2011-11-22, 11:48   Link #87
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
it's like they are trying to make adjustments to please all sides but ends up failing on all fronts
What are some of the adjustments geared towards non-kids? if you don't mind me asking.

ps. You should stop using ellipsis everywhere. Just put a period and space where the ellipsis would go, then start the sentence with a capital letter, and voilà you have proper sentences.
Old 2011-11-22, 12:01   Link #88
justavisitor

@felix
they should make it to be more kiddy instead. A more serious gundam show should be saved for the next project so ppl who watch the next project would feel it has a refreshing change XD Yell out finishing move, redesign the next gundam so it can be combined, etc should be considered but, above all, they should pay more attention to details...kids show can be serious to details as well. Makes the show to be more logical, gets a little bit more help from Diva crews would also help XD

and I always use ellipsis lol...it's not like I am writing a proper essay here...I will cut it into different paragraphs to make it readable...but I don't want to make it too formal...it's not like I am writing an essay then I export it to here. I am simply just putting my thoughts down

I would try my best to make it readable, but I don't think ellipsis is a big problem

but thanks for the suggestion anyway
Old 2011-11-22, 12:40   Link #89
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I'm kind of on the fence with this. On one hand following the typical writing conventions that's pretty much what it is; for now. On the other hand it kind of seems odd that such a system (not necessarily automated like the AGE system) wouldn't exist. If the enemy comes at you with tanks change your load out to a anti-tank rockets. If the enemy comes at you with infantry you switch to anti-infantry weapons, etc. Again the common sense in it is kind of undermined by the whole "smart system" motif, but it's pretty much the same thing in the end. In some ways it's more realistic then the one-size, beats all design of previous shows.

I think the test to the series will be if they treat the different weapons as task specific, or if they do a cop out where each weapon is just superior to the last in every way. Not that I'm saying that there shouldn't be pure upgrades, just that it be nice if the Gundam gets a set of weapons rather then just upgrades.
All Gundam shows implement the switch-weapons-for-different-enemies concept to a certain extent. It's just that some of them deal with it by having multiple Gundam designs, supporting units, interchangeable parts, etc.

But the problem with your specific example is that we're talking about mobile suits for the most part. Even with varying customizations, they're much more similar to one another than a tank could ever be to an infantry. So having to have different weapons isn't necessary for the most part. In fact, most mobile suits' main weapons are still beam rifles and/or beam sabers or similar weapons.

What's different with AGE is that the Gundam's main weapons are quickly rendered ineffective at a fast rate. We're only seven episodes in and it has already happened at least twice. And to offset this disadvantage, AGE has a system that can build new parts by itself, essentially being able to quickly adapt to new enemies.

It is this adaptability that I think is less realistic than some of the approaches of previous Gundam shows. But, realistic or not, it does provide a new approach to Gundam development. Time will tell if it will make AGE Gundams unique in some ways or if fans (or not) will just continue to look at it as being a deus ex machina.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 13:27   Link #90
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@monster I think the big guy in the latest episode would kind of disagree with you. Flint came out of that little skirmish pretty beat up. Perhaps this "all Gundams are the same" just doesn't apply to the UE. As for the size argument, an armored personnel carrier is roughly the same size as a tank but they both do different things, travel at different speeds, etc. Or if you want to talk purely firepower, just look at a tank and artillery. Again, roughly same size, completely different in function and tactical capabilities.

Quote:
@felix
they should make it to be more kiddy instead. A more serious gundam show should be saved for the next project so ppl who watch the next project would feel it has a refreshing change XD Yell out finishing move, redesign the next gundam so it can be combined, etc should be considered but, above all, they should pay more attention to details...kids show can be serious to details as well. Makes the show to be more logical, gets a little bit more help from Diva crews would also help XD
That's not what I asked you at all. I got that already from your previous post. What I was asking are what are some examples of elements geared towards non-kids. Since you said this was geared towards kids and others and how that has been it's greatest flaw; so I'm curious what you thought was geared towards others.

Quote:
and I always use ellipsis lol...it's not like I am writing a proper essay here...I will cut it into different paragraphs to make it readable...but I don't want to make it too formal...it's not like I am writing an essay then I export it to here. I am simply just putting my thoughts down
The ellipsis functions much like a inline paragraph break in my eyes. I don't care for any essay standard or anything elitist like that, I just find it really awkward to read.

But, it was only a suggestion, you can write as you wish of course.
Old 2011-11-22, 14:09   Link #91
monster

Quote:
@monster I think the big guy in the latest episode would kind of disagree with you. Flint came out of that little skirmish pretty beat up. Perhaps this "all Gundams are the same" just doesn't apply to the UE. As for the size argument, an armored personnel carrier is roughly the same size as a tank but they both do different things, travel at different speeds, etc. Or if you want to talk purely firepower, just look at a tank and artillery. Again, roughly same size, completely different in function and tactical capabilities.
I did not say that all Gundams are the same, I said that they are much more similar to each other than a tank is to an infantry.

But I also said that, with AGE, the Gundam's main weapons are being rendered ineffective at a fast rate (compared to some other previous shows), causing Flit to need new weaponry and/or armor at a quicker rate as well to better deal with them. So the UE actually proved my point.

Unless ... Was the Gundam using the DODS rifle in this episode? It's not clear to me.
Old 2011-11-22, 14:28   Link #92
justavisitor

@felix
hmm...so you are asking what kind of elements in Age that has been geared to teenagers so far...that's actually a very good question, because I actually don't have an answer for it

So what is the difference between a kid show and an anime that's for teenagers and above? imo, kid shows can be serious but maybe it has more "enjoy the silliness" elements. At the same time, robot shows for kid tend to have more room for fantasy. I guess Age system is a perfect example for this. you won't find this magical system in a more serious show I guess.

And I guess one of the elements in a more serious show (or teenagers oriented) is to have a better world setting with amazing detail. Gundam age still tries to develop a serious story (I guess XD) but the lack of detail/logic is amazing. no carrier for gundam in episode 2 and emily beats flit to make it to diva, decision to let the ship's only two MS to settle a personal dispute in the middle of escaping. Age system decides not to duplicate new gun for genoace custom in episode 5 when we all know genoace custom can handle the cool rifle in episode 4. Diva's crew doing nothing but watch gundam goes out whenever Flit or the hijacker wants. Those things may be small, but it frustrates audience who want to watch a serious story. I don't mind the Age system, since it's a kid show, but I mind when a supposedly serious show lacks so much detail.

I don't know if I answer it, but oh well, whatever.
Old 2011-11-22, 15:24   Link #93
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Sorry, not really. But whatever, I retract the question so we can drop it. Now I'm even more confused by your initial statement though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Unless ... Was the Gundam using the DODS rifle in this episode? It's not clear to me.
No it hasn't. Since last episode it's been worded that the riffle is too powerful and would cause too much damage to the station. In Ep6 Flint explicitly didn't use it against the big guy.
Old 2011-11-22, 15:49   Link #94
justavisitor

@felix
ok, let's drop the question...and this is probably the last post I make in gundam age thread since I am dropping it..it's sad really, probably I am too biased against this show, but it's a pain to watch it and then discuss why it's bad...XD hopefully this show will become better so I can pick it up again, but until then, so long everyone

P.S my dark side wants this show to get cancelled tho I will probably lurk to the gundam age general thread and see how bad the viewership rating becomes XD (was it 4.8% in ep 5?)
Old 2011-11-22, 16:00   Link #95
monster

Quote:
No it hasn't. Since last episode it's been worded that the riffle is too powerful and would cause too much damage to the station. In Ep6 Flint explicitly didn't use it against the big guy.
Never mind, the DODS rifle was used both this week's and last week's episodes but it was deflected by the new UE unit.
Old 2011-11-22, 16:52   Link #96
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Never mind, the DODS rifle was used both this week's and last week's episodes but it was deflected by the new UE unit.
For some reason I though that was the standard riffle.
Old 2011-11-22, 22:51   Link #97
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor
come on, yu gi oh's monster battle is much cooler than this show XD (This is from someone who has watched the whole yu gi oh 5D series, btw 5D is a great series, I recommend ppl to give it a try...at least in my opinion it is much better than Age...)

Well, it is...didn't wanna just say that, but that's why i said i didn't wanna di$$ Yugioh by saying it had worse animation than Age, but think more s1 Yugi than 5d's which from a purely visual entertainment standpoint it's killer...I mean that nirvana dueling world was tight as $hit^^...Thing about that show is you could ignore the kiddy friendship aspect and enjoy it for the theatrics and showmanship of the dueling...I've been trying to do that same compartmentalizing with AGE, but I find the axillary things just as bad...

The interesting thing about AGE is that based on the first couple of eps it looked like they were gonna have much better action then this because it went against form based on the "kiddiness" of it's perception, but as the first 7 eps have evolved, it looks like this show just needs to go for broke, with showy, color-bursting, visual fun, and coolness of fight-factor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix
The ellipsis functions much like a inline paragraph break in my eyes. I don't care for any essay standard or anything elitist like that, I just find it really awkward to read.
We talk in fragmented pauses more than we talk in complete sentences (atleast in most informal settings)...The ellipsis mirrors stream of consciousness that is impulsive forum posting...It also makes for much easier expression of raw thought, which is why I'm a freak in this area aswell...
Old 2011-11-22, 23:13   Link #98
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I think I died just a little more inside reading those last couple pages. Thanks for that people, that was quite pleasant.

As for the episode itself, god help me I don't even know why I'm bothering to post my thoughts here anymore and this is probably going to backfire horrifically judging by the tone of the thread this week, but here goes.

I didn't think it was the best episode. Actually I think it was the weakest of the series so far in that it didn't have a whole lot going on and didn't establish much new about the characters other than Flit and Grodek realizing that they share something in common when it comes to UE. As for the rest of the episode, the Zalam/Euba conflict just doesn't come across as that involving. Even having established that they are fighting a stupid turf war I don't think it needed to be portrayed nearly that silly and the characters being this clownish. It's hard to see something as a serious threat when one side has a dandy knight type character talking shit and the other side has a bunch of yes men saying one liners and then when they go to fight they can't even hit each other.

I think the whole conflict could benefit from a little more balance between the absurdity of the Zalam/Euba characters and the severity of the conflict and how it's impacting the colony. The first episode of this arc got it more right with how they showed the inside of the colony walls and the poverty that was caused by the conflict. This one kind of undermined it a bit. As it stands I kind of hope this arc is over soon or they do at least something to make the Zalam/Euba conflict more engaging cause as it stands I really just can't care that much cause the conflict feels barely threatening and easily containable by Flit and the Gundam. Show has just been better when it focuses on Flits struggle with the UE and the Diva crews journey and skirmishes with them. Does that all mean that I'm going to rage on the show, demand the heads of the writers and producers and insist that it fail to suit a petty desire for something or other....not by any stretch of the imagination.

As for things I did like about the episode, Grodek's arc continues to be interesting as is his growing bond with Flit. It really reminds me of the start to the relationship between Jamil Neat and Garrod Ran in Gundam X in how they find out they have similar goals and Jamil sort of takes Garrod under his wing and asks him to follow him in accomplishing said goal. Also Don Voyage seems like he could still potentially be an interesting character or have an interesting end to his arc, but we'll have to see how that goes later when it comes time to get the battleship. Also never thought for a second that we'd actually get to see the Titus and that it would just be a tease, but I don't really see how it's all that ugly at all.

As for the action, they could definitely stand to lose the speed lines right about now. They're growing in use and honestly that's just not really acceptable for a series with the legacy Gundam has. The shows could still have some still frames and actually look a little better without the speed lines cause all they serve to do is draw extra attention to the fact that they are cutting costs on animation.

Anyway that's my piece. Try not to misrepresent any of the above if you are going to quote my post by the way folks cause that sort of thing is getting a little out of hand and kind of annoying in this forum in particular. If you have something to build on or want to use my words to make a point feel free to do so, but don't bend them to suit an agenda please and thank you.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 23:15   Link #99
monster

Quote:
For some reason I though that was the standard riffle.
I thought so too. But then, after rewatching episode two, it turns out there is no standard rifle. The other firing weapon AGE had was more like a pistol in shape and size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Grodek's arc continues to be interesting as is his growing bond with Flit.
I think it's noteworthy that Flit was hesitant to shake Grodek's hand before the Euba attacked. It might hint at a possible future conflict between them.
Old 2011-11-22, 23:28   Link #100
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
I thought so too. But then, after rewatching episode two, it turns out there is no standard rifle. The other firing weapon AGE had was more like a pistol in shape and size. I think it's noteworthy that Flit was hesitant to shake Grodek's hand before the Euba attacked. It might hint at a possible future conflict between them.
He probably still just doesn't completely trust him yet and really it's kind of hard to blame him. I mean the guy basically did just hijack the battleship they are on, has no problems acting independently of the chain of command, and basically sketches out Emily and only came clean because she caught him red-handed. We as the viewer have reason to believe that Grodek is on the level cause we've seen inside his head and why he's doing all this, but Flit hasn't and all he sees is him trying to cut deals with people like Don Voyage who clearly aren't on the level and who just want better weapons to wage further war against their enemies at the colonists expense.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion