Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-01-22, 04:06   Link #21
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
I believe you said this
"So long as you are respectful with your opinions, there should not be a problem."

Your opinion was very respectful hence i found it illuminating
I took a look at your post. Took a look at my last post.

Your sarcasm is unneeded sir.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 04:17   Link #22
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

The post immediately after your reply to my Irony post is not a reply to you. It is a reply to the OP. I thought it was obvious perhaps i thought wrong. I have added in the relevant OP quotes.

On the sarcasm being unneeded, perhaps you should do an introspection on why your deeds (eg "Sorry bro, Rebuild is trash.") are not following your thoughts ("So long as you are respectful with your opinions, there should not be a problem.").

Most people i know do this because basic human nature gets them to lie to themselves aka the "I'm really a nice man but only in this case i have to ...." syndrome.

Unless calling something trash is respectful nowadays? Or if you're applying the "playful poking" tone, it never carries on a written medium
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 04:23   Link #23
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
The post immediately after your reply to my Irony post is not a reply to you. It is a reply to the OP. I thought it was obvious perhaps i thought wrong. I have added in the relevant OP quotes.

On the sarcasm being unneeded, perhaps you should do an introspection on why your deeds (eg "Sorry bro, Rebuild is trash.") are not following your thoughts ("So long as you are respectful with your opinions, there should not be a problem.").

Most people i know do this because basic human nature gets them to lie to themselves aka the "I'm really a nice man but only in this case i have to ...." syndrome.

Unless calling something trash is respectful nowadays? Or if you're applying the "playful poking" tone, it never carries on a written medium
I understood that perfectly. You're not understanding me.

Calling a series trash is not contradicting my statement because that has nothing to do with respecting another person. If I do not insult person "XYZ" I have done nothing wrong. An anime series is not a person .
Old 2011-01-22, 04:24   Link #24
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Unless calling something trash is respectful nowadays?
Yes, it can be. You should have the right to call an anime trash among more positive opinions. It's your darn opinion. It's not disrespect unless you actually insult a person.

Edit: This post is remarkably similar to Reckoner's post above.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 04:51   Link #25
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I understood that perfectly. You're not understanding me.
Ah my apologies, your post in question said very little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Calling a series trash is not contradicting my statement because that has nothing to do with respecting another person. If I do not insult person "XYZ" I have done nothing wrong. An anime series is not a person .
So you meant "So long as you are respectful to the other person..." rather than "So long as you are respectful with your opinions..."

Again unless you thing calling something as trash is respectful with your opinions? I would have thought that common ettiqute meant that a respectful opinion would be something like "Sorry, bro, i don't agree and here's why" or similar

If trash is fine, can i change the word to something else?
i) Sorry bro, Rebuild is sh*t.
ii) Sorry bro, Rebuild should be f**ked in the as*
iii) Sorry bro, Rebuild should have its head chopped off
iv) Sorry bro, Rebuild are motherf***ers' fave
v) Sorry bro, Rebuild needs gang-raping

All the choices have the negative connotivity of "trash", just increased in degree and at no time is the person insulted unless by implication on iv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Yes, it can be. You should have the right to call an anime trash among more positive opinions. It's your darn opinion. It's not disrespect unless you actually insult a person.

Edit: This post is remarkably similar to Reckoner's post above.
Sure if you never have a stated position of being "respectful in your opinion". Hence the suggestion to engage in introspection.

Of great interest though is why would a person feel that a short unqualified comment should merit anything.

"Little busters is sh*t"

Sure, its your opinion but then how enlightening is the sentence? Of what gains would people have for reading that sentence. They would then know you think little busters is bad but not why, not how, not anythng.

Yet some are compelled to put such lines out. Interesting no?

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-01-23 at 13:34.
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 05:20   Link #26
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Of great interest though is why would a person feel that a short unqualified comment should merit anything.

"Little busters is sh*t"

Sure, its your opinion but then how enlightening is the sentence? Of what gains would people have for reading that sentence. They would then know you think little busters is bad but not why, not how, not anythng.

Very true, those phrases annoy me also. If you state a negative opinion it should be justified in some way. Therefore, I can't support Reckoner's short comment on Rebuild.

But you said this:
Quote:
Unless calling something trash is respectful nowadays?
which was not specifically referring to statements such as Reckoner's but to just openly disliking something in general. I felt I needed to comment on that.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 05:51   Link #27
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

Like with all stupid people, I proceed to laugh at them and ignore them, keep enjoying what I enjoy and letting people enjoy whatever they enjoy.

srs_bsnss.exe
PositronCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 06:10   Link #28
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Sure if you never have a stated position of being "respectful in your opinion". Hence the suggestion to engage in introspection.

"Little busters is sh*t"

I have made extensive posts in the Rebuild thread concerning the issue. If you wish to find out more, go check them out there. If that is all you took issue with, you simply could've just asked for me to back it up, but this isn't the thread for that.

In regards to being respectful to opinions? Well if I say a show is bad, it's bad to me. Am I supposed to pretend otherwise? Anyhow, lets not drag this off topic any further.
Old 2011-01-22, 06:57   Link #29
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quality is subjective and I don't believe in a best show either, but some tend to be more qualified than others. There's gotta be some pretense of objectivity, otherwise there's no point in discussing anything. 100% subjectivity means nothing matters, and that's just like pissing in the wind. You have to ground yourself in reality somewhere. If you came to me and said Umineko or Angel Beats was the best anime ever, I'd really take issue with that, because any reasoning regarding that (edit: that I've encountered) is pretty damned flimsy. So honestly, is it really being elitist to demand a show contain some kind of minimum standard of narrative and storytelling and to look worse upon those who don't care? Does that make me a snob?

Though I must admit to myself that it's annoying that certain people consider various tropes inherently bad. "This has been done before, therefore it is bad" is very annoying and I just pity them for not being able to enjoy anything. Or people who dismiss something immediately.

But the thing is, they're just cartoons. Someone not liking a show doesn't make me enjoy it less. And I don't go out of my way telling people their anime tastes suck, because really what's the point? It's just entertainment geez. So I just ignore that nonsense. I mean who the fuck cares; it changes nothing.

TL;DR Enjoy the show. Or don't.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-01-22 at 07:23. Reason: edited for awkward tone
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 08:38   Link #30
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

School Days snobs(yes they do exists) are the worst kind of snobs ever. Just look how they did to Yosuga no Sora(yes I'm defending this show but I don't try to convert anyone from my gospel) in Myanimelist and Anime-Planet. They trolled this show just because it didn't end like they beloved show. I also believe YnS isn't only their victim. They also attacked Clannad After Story because its ending is too happy for them.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 09:00   Link #31
Ahiru77
あひる

I must confess, me and my sister watch (new) anime like those two muppets who watch the Muppet show from the balcony.....and end up laughing.

Are we snobs ? 0~0
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 14:49   Link #32
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
School Days snobs(yes they do exists) are the worst kind of snobs ever. Just look how they did to Yosuga no Sora(yes I'm defending this show but I don't try to convert anyone from my gospel) in Myanimelist and Anime-Planet. They trolled this show just because it didn't end like they beloved show. I also believe YnS isn't only their victim. They also attacked Clannad After Story because its ending is too happy for them.
They're just jealous that Haruka is 100000 x the man Makoto is.

Anyhow, I'd just like to say that not all opinions are equal, despite what our parents may say.

I mean say three people say:

1.) Show X sucks, just because it does.
2.) Show X sucks, because Y
3.) Show X sucks, because Y then Z

Would you not have more respect for 2 and 3, and have more respect for their tastes even if you don't agree?

So yea, I do think certain people have worse taste if they can't explain why they like or hate a show. There needs to be some kinda of rationale-- there's many ways to the truth, but not every way leads to the right place.

There's also a type of self proclaimed snob that I DO look down upon, because I do feel their tastes are inferior because they are narrow minded. Maybe you've seen them before. Here's some signs.

They use the words "pandering" "sheep" and "bandwagon" a lot. This kind of viewer professes that just because a show is popular, it MUST be crap. They feel special for being "diffrent" even if they just follow another bandwagon. And they usually follow other self appointed snobs to worship a few designated shows.

If you've seen anyone type something like "this caters to moe loving pedophiles" or "only the unwashed masses would like this show", you know you've seen one.

Using ad homenim does not make someone smart. If one's argument consists only of insulting the fans, then they are idiots with inferior taste and I reserve the right to look down on them or be a snob.

So maybe I just hate (more) stupid people-- that makes me snobbish. But like I said above, it's just for fun anyways, and there's no need to hate on each other regardless.

Spoiler for sarcasm:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 15:54   Link #33
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Spoiler for sarcasm:
That is so unfair.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 04:36   Link #34
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I've experience something like "comparing".

They say Gundam G is the best ( GSD does not exist then); for me it's the worst, for me it's GundamWing which is the best.

We don't snob face to face, but we compliment more often, saying "I try to watch that too".
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 05:14   Link #35
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The kind of anime snobs I have grown to hate are those that tries to force their standards for quality onto people, those who complains ALL THE TIME about young anime fans' terrible tastes and rub it onto their faces ("See? You are young! YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD ABOUT IT!") and finally those who expect the industry to churn out more anime of the same quality as, let's say, LoGH (I like LoGH mind you) ALL THE TIME and whine that the industry can't appear to do, without understanding of the demand, supply and context (you cannot reasonably expect a LoGH-like every seasons the same way a fantasy fan cannot expect another herculean LoTR-like from the cinema industry every year). Nobody is natually born with good tastes, as much as no one else have developped sharp criticism ability from the womb. It's something everyone develop through education and also exposition to diverse point of views and materials, in the same way as wine tasting is something that have to be worked and refined; and the entertainment industry need a special context, financial and industrial, with a particular pool of talents to be able to churn out The Big Anime, that would be the public and critics' darling. If one claims to have objectivity and perfect refined tastes, but takes on the attitudes I described, it is my right to call them posers and tossers.

But having a bit a discernment is something that anybody ought to have, discernment means that you can see something BAD in what you watch (which is why, while I am a fantasy fan, I am also harsher to judge any show of my favorite genre). It is your right to come into a discussion and say "This is crap because x & y" as long you stay within the limits of the place's etiquette. You cannot say indeed why this show is rubbish in the same way you do in asuki as you do in 4chan's /a/. So yeah, the form of your criticism, and knowing where you express it, is as important as the content.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 05:54   Link #36
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
Well, here's an example of what an anime snob would say:

Anime Snob: "My genre of anime is better than your genre of anime, and your genre of anime is killing the industry, and taht's a fact"

I'm pretty sure you've met those type of people on the net or gatherings.

It's not about preferring an anime over another, it's about preferring an anime and shoving it down your threat for the sake of superiority. That's snobbery.
Ignore them for obvious close mindedness? The industry is having problems because the economy in Japan is generally in need of stimulation.

Watch stuff for your own pleasure. Not to please others. That's just stupid.
Old 2011-01-23, 07:02   Link #37
cyth
Banned

Reading this thread, I can't help but think some of the posters simply can't stand strong opinions. Granted, be wary of the trolls, but honestly... I've found some of the most enlightening of criticism in the most disgusting of vitriol that can be found on the internet. The problem with anime fans is that our circles are mostly comprised of youngsters lacking life experiences and knowledge, so we can't tie down our anime experiences to anything substantial most of the time. And when we manage to do that, it means the world to us. See where I'm going with this? This doesn't only show that most of the time we get worked up over nothing, it means we lack critical distance to our own opinions. It's only when you take yourself under examination and try to understand your reactionary logic that you'll be able to better understand another one's point of view.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 10:26   Link #38
Yuna Amakura

I really don't care about them. It's their opinion against mine, so there's no right or wrong in the process.
But anyway, some would consider me an anime snob as well so why bother? lol
Yuna Amakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 16:41   Link #39
Andrelol

Well, I prefer a good anime/manga than a book or movie. I think anime/manga are just better (much better).

I do know lot of classic/critical aclaimed books and movies, but I still think anime/manga are (vastly) superior to just about everything. The ultimate form of art. lol.

But, of course, that's just my opinion...

The funny thing is that I'm in last year of college studying something that here we call "Letras", which includes Portuguese, Linguistics, a foreign language of your choice (English in my case) and Literature (Portuguese and English literature). LOL.
Old 2011-01-23, 17:07   Link #40
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
Well, here's an example of what an anime snob would say:

Anime Snob: "My genre of anime is better than your genre of anime, and your genre of anime is killing the industry, and taht's a fact"

I'm pretty sure you've met those type of people on the net or gatherings.

It's not about preferring an anime over another, it's about preferring an anime and shoving it down your threat for the sake of superiority. That's snobbery.
Actually, I haven't.

The most I've seen is hating on Lucky Star, but no one's ever said it's killing the industry, merely laughing at its silliness.