AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 101 43.35%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 62 26.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 18.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 7.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.29%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-08, 07:08   Link #261
SABER60069

My point is that the feeling I get from Kirito is "I have to go now!" rather than "I better go now!"
SABER60069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 07:11   Link #262
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Can you do it without prior knowledge of what you'll find where?
Sure...

I did it Diablo I, and that was with crazy hackers running around with Town Nukes. Before that I did it with Wizardy.

You just have to be very, very careful- always plan an escape route. I often surprised how many players don't do this.

See you have to identify a "safe" area. Then you methodically clear things so that you have a path back to your safe zone.

You also have to be aware of your instincts. If something seems off about an area, back off, heal up, and then then come back with an extra cautious approach.

Bosses require a scouting mission where you load up on shielding and healing and just figure out what he can do and then run away. Sometimes you need multiple scouting missions.

It's just most people nowadays just charge in, die, and then figure out what to improve on because running away all the time takes so much time.

Games today are so light on the penalties from dying that I think a lot of gamers are spoiled. It used to be that you never wanted to die, and if you did it was a disaster.

Now does that mean I think I'd clear such a hardcore game easy with no problem? Of course not. Death is still more likely. But it's not impossible. If I had unlimited time, personally I'd give myself... 1 chance in 5.

That's assuming they don't have any one shot you die shenanigans, but I'm assuming not since there is no magic in the game.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 07:15   Link #263
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABER60069 View Post
I'm not saying he should wait until it's cleared out I'm thinking that was a very bold decision that Kirito considering how MMOs work the next village probably has stronger mobs but they still can be handled at level 1 in my experience but that is not something I want to do right after I heard that announcement

Since Kirito said resources are limited I took his word literally for it and believe it means mobs don't respawn and that it was the reason why he rushed out immediately

If mobs do still respawn that doesn't change Kirito's fast thinking and great decision making skills and the courage to act on it but I feel it makes him a bit more reckless
It's good decision making. IF you are a Beta Tester, or a guild with a Beta Tester on it. If you are a Soler, your best bet is to get down to work, and start skilling. Don't even bother to copy what the Beta Testers did- I think many of the Second day casualties had exactly the same idea as Kirito, but was not as good with him.

Personally, I think Kirito could have afforded to wait one hour for Kline to rally his guild- not many would have moved out before the first night ended, before moving on with them. Why didn't he do that? I guess we'll have to wait and find out, because to me, your best bet is to attach yourself to an experienced Guild, hopefully with a Guild Master you know.

With the PM system though, Kirito should have dropped a message with Klein suggesting a rendezvous spot.He didn't. So is it a plot hole, or deliberate ? We'll have to wait and see, again. Maybe it's nothing, and the issue won't crop up again.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 07:16   Link #264
novalysis

Quote:
Yeah, but he knows what the mobs are and how to handle them.
So, Kirito made the right move. IF you are a Beta Tester. If you are not, better hope that someone in your Guild Was.
Old 2012-07-08, 07:19   Link #265
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Great episode. Found another series for my "must watch" list. With this, I can say that SAO and Accel World became the new .hack for this year.
orpheus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 07:20   Link #266
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Personally, I think Kirito could have afforded to wait one hour for Kline to rally his guild- not many would have moved out before the first night ended, before moving on with them. Why didn't he do that?
He said why. He could ensure the safety of one other guy (Klein). Two would be pushing it, and he didn't think he could do it with three. If he took them along, not all of them would make it, and he didn't want that on his shoulders.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 07:23   Link #267
novalysis

Quote:
He said why. He could ensure the safety of one other guy (Klein). Two would be pushing it, and he didn't think he could do it with three. If he took them along, not all of them would make it, and he didn't want that on his shoulders.
Hmm. Interesting. It either suggest that he thinks the game can be soloed (based on his Beta Tester experience), or that he just doesn't trust himself with being responsible for a guild or lives.

Still, if you are NOT Kirito or a Beta Tester, I'd imagine rallying your guild may be the best move of all. If anything then, I applaud Klein for having the balls to rally his guild even after this mess.
Old 2012-07-08, 07:29   Link #268
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Hmm. Interesting. It either suggest that he thinks the game can be soloed (based on his Beta Tester experience), or that he just doesn't trust himself with being responsible for a guild or lives.

Still, if you are NOT Kirito or a Beta Tester, I'd imagine rallying your guild may be the best move of all. If anything then, I applaud Klein for having the balls to rally his guild even after this mess.
Unless Kirito had some underlying history with other Beta Testers that he preferred partnering with, he did show reluctance towards joining Klein's guild. Of course, that was before shit-hit-the-players, but it's a possible insight to his mindset.

After all, Kirito's action plan, while tactically sound, is that of a raiding solo-player's more so than anything. His decision to bring Klein along at first, was clearly driven by their short friendship more than anything else. If not for their short encounter beforehand, he (most likely) would had just ran off asap without attempting to band with others.

Most people would probably either do what Klein did, and ensure a communal security and peace-of-mind first before anything else. One can probably imagine the riots and mental breakdown that could had occured at that place.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 07:30   Link #269
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Wow, first few seconds in and I thought I was watching Fate Zero.

Fantastic first episode, nonetheless. It's a real shame we probably aren't going to see events happing in the real world and how this is being dealt with from the outside, though.

Last edited by Haak; 2012-07-08 at 08:01.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 07:33   Link #270
j4c06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
So has anyone ever played an RPG in their lives WITHOUT dying?
Actually all Rogue-like RPGs work like that (Nethack, ADOM etc). Once your character dies it is gone forever, regardless of how many months you have been beefing it up.
j4c06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 07:34   Link #271
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Wow, first few seconds in and I thought I was watching Fate Zero.
Well, This IS the Fate Zero of the season in terms of hype.
Old 2012-07-08, 07:50   Link #272
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:

Let alone an MMORPG
MMO: up to LV17 until I got PK'd.
RPG: Lots, actually. Dying is pretty hard in most.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 08:02   Link #273
tsunade666

Awesome first episode. I didn't expect that bloody scene that reminds me of the descent of the grail. Awesome entrance by the GM.
Old 2012-07-08, 08:20   Link #274
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Could someone tell me what chapter this episode covered?
Old 2012-07-08, 08:25   Link #275
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Finding the guy responsible may or may not be the right path to resolution, which is to resolve the hostage situation with as few casualties as possible and hopefully the perp in cuffs.
In any hostage situation, one goal is to try to determine the location of the guy holding people hostage. It's good to at least have the option of storming him if negotiations fail.

Quote:
He may not even exist in real life, at least not anymore. If he's a genius programmer who can create a virtual world, what better way to be God than to upload your brain and act as "admin" of the world? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that plot type in an anime.
Even if this is true, his body is presumably somewhere. It can't hurt to locate it. Even if the guy has created tech so advanced that he's actually separated his consciousness from his body and is living in SAO (or a VR world connected to it), without needing his body to survive at all anymore, then it would be good to discover that.

Quote:
It would be interesting, but a serious flaw? Nah.
"Unrealized Potential" is hardly an unusual criticism for people to voice. Simply put, the "Real World" side of this could be every bit as good as Death Note if well-executed and properly explored. This anime could be one-quarter Death Note, three quarters gripping sci-fi fantasy adventure, which is an absolutely mind-blowing combination. As is, it sounds like it'll be entirely gripping sci-fi fantasy adventure, which is still very good of course, but not quite as awesome as the obvious alternative.

And as for the "Real World" being properly addressed, well, there's still some practical questions I have. For example, how are people not dying from simple thirst and hunger (with their real world bodies)?

... And I see that Xacual addressed that. Since that's apparently a spoiler I'll wait until it's made official in the anime itself before I share my thoughts on it.
Old 2012-07-08, 08:34   Link #276
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post

Let alone an MMORPG
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls come to mind. The motto of both games is 'Prepare to Die', as by dying, you'd get a little more knowledge, which would allow you to progress that little bit further. Every time you die, you're sent to the beginning of an area, you lose all the 'souls' (used to level up and upgrade equipment) you gathered, and everything is reset. Monsters, and especially bosses, are capable of one-hitting you. You could summon other players (their names weren't given) to help you clear an area. However, you were unable to leave the lair of a boss after you entered it. It's about hardcore as RPGs get, there's a lot more to these games, but if I were to explain any more, I have a feeling that some would probably think I'm here to promote the games.

These two games came to mind whilst I was reading the light novels, and having remembered my own fear of having to lose something by dying (while also ironically gaining something), I found it fairly easy to empathize with the 10,000 players stuck in SAO.

I'd be lying if I said if I managed to beat either without dying, but I did managed to beat the latter of the two games with as little as 8 deaths. Experience (gotten by playing the first game and many other Action-orientated RPGs), patience, tactics, and a little bit of skill are what helped me survive. I'm pretty sure nobody managed to complete the game without dying once on their first playthrough, which just goes to show how difficult is it to clear something like SAO, where one's life is at stake.

So, I imagine the majority of 10,000 (now 8,000) players wouldn't be capable for clearing floors; only the more experienced, veterans (the beta players, essentially), and the fearless and talented (also known as the somewhat, if not completely, crazy) would be the only ones capable for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raruku View Post
Nothing to say much.

They just introduce 1 MC and I saw lots more girl in the OP. (they're all the main cast right?)
Some more than others, but yes, they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Could someone tell me what chapter this episode covered?
Spoiler for just in case:
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 08:34   Link #277
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In any hostage situation, one goal is to try to determine the location of the guy holding people hostage. It's good to at least have the option of storming him if negotiations fail.

Even if this is true, his body is presumably somewhere. It can't hurt to locate it. Even if the guy has created tech so advanced that he's actually separated his consciousness from his body and is living in SAO (or a VR world connected to it), without needing his body to survive at all anymore, then it would be good to discover that.
They're probably looking, yes. But it wouldn't be that weird for them not to find him.

I don't think it'd be all that interesting to see government minions interrogating old colleagues of Kayaba, only to see them all deny knowing anything.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 08:45   Link #278
shakeofinfinity
Learning the Guitar

so actually they just need to survive till the end of the battery life right, just afk and wait lol
Old 2012-07-08, 08:49   Link #279
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeofinfinity View Post
so actually they just need to survive till the end of the battery life right, just afk and wait lol
Maybe. But what if the Nervgear was designed to send out that brain killing impulse (or whatever it is) as the battery was on the verge of running out?
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 08:55   Link #280
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Maybe. But what if the Nervgear was designed to send out that brain killing impulse (or whatever it is) as the battery was on the verge of running out?
Problem is no one will know if the battery has ran out, and because this story is in the future, was it 2022 or so, batteries probably last for kinda long.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi, shonen