AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2016-01-06, 12:25   Link #81
moodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Such a shame that he won't.

Wonder which "understudy" will get the gig.
probably Naoyuki Tatsuwa since Tatsuya Oishi is busy doing kizu. or maybe they can give Yuki Yase another shot after that mca mess.
Old 2016-01-06, 13:46   Link #82
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It makes absolutely no difference who's listed as the director - it's all the Shinbou aesthetic at Shaft.
Old 2016-01-06, 14:31   Link #83
moodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It makes absolutely no difference who's listed as the director - it's all the Shinbou aesthetic at Shaft.
actually it makes a big difference if u can't tell the difference between the directors its ur fault.

each director at shaft, while trained by shinbou, have their own uniqueness to them
Old 2016-01-06, 18:06   Link #84
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodie View Post
actually it makes a big difference if u can't tell the difference between the directors its ur fault.

each director at shaft, while trained by shinbou, have their own uniqueness to them
This is getting quite repetitive. Yes, each director at SHAFT may have things that make them 'unique', but what Enzo is telling you is that there is a general aesthetic that all SHAFT shows as of late have been following. This aesthetic, which he's called Shinbou's, is basically something common to pretty much every one of Shinbou's understudies, even if they may or may not have their own quirks.

So, you see, it's not that they're Shinbou clones in the most literal meaning of the word, but simply being a SHAFT show in this day and age pretty much guarantees a certain style to it, a style which is unnecessary and, until proven otherwise, unfitting for Sangatsu no Lion.

As for him not actually directing, who knows. It might be his return to the actual director 'chair', for all we know, lol.
Old 2016-01-06, 18:13   Link #85
moodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
This is getting quite repetitive. Yes, each director at SHAFT may have things that make them 'unique', but what Enzo is telling you is that there is a general aesthetic that all SHAFT shows as of late have been following. This aesthetic, which he's called Shinbou's, is basically something common to pretty much every one of Shinbou's understudies, even if they may or may not have their own quirks.

So, you see, it's not that they're Shinbou clones in the most literal meaning of the word, but simply being a SHAFT show in this day and age pretty much guarantees a certain style to it, a style which is unnecessary and, until proven otherwise, unfitting for Sangatsu no Lion.

As for him not actually directing, who knows. It might be his return to the actual director 'chair', for all we know, lol.
Ugh ur talking to someone who has watched every shaft show under Shinbou as well as watched every Shinbou show such as TV series and OVAs so i think i know what a Shinbou style is. No need to repeat whatever you are trying to repeat.
Old 2016-01-06, 19:37   Link #86
bastek66

So much butthurt and projection.
Do you really think that mangaka's are some prisoners of publishers and they have to just say yes or no as ordered?
Did you forget Mahou Sensou's author saying that he regrets anime's existence?
Or Rail wars author conflict with Passione?

It was even showed in Shirobako. Authors are free to say what they want.
Old 2016-01-06, 21:19   Link #87
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

I was here writing a huge post but basically the official info came out and apparently Umino herself said that she was the one who wanted SHAFT/Shinbo and if it wasn't them then she would not have wanted the anime to be made. Linky link

Which basically puts me in a very complicated situation where I can only hope that things work out for the best, but I can't believe they will. Bringing back all the memories from when Dance in the Vampire Bund said he was a huge fan of SHAFT/Shinbo and was looking forward to seeing him take liberties with the story and all that crap. We know where that ended, a product that no one really liked, in the end.

Oh well.

Website is also up. Airing in Fall. And with that, I'm out of this thread. I'm actually so bothered by this whole ordeal that the best thing I can do is simply try to forget it exists and see what happens in Fall. Peace.

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2016-01-06 at 23:51.
Old 2016-01-06, 23:23   Link #88
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Bad analogy. This is like if said Ice Cream shop didn't sell that flavor X you liked, took it over, and sold it practically identical to the flavors it actually sells. Then everyone says that's how flavor X should be like.
You missed the point, which is that a lot of people in this thread are extrapolating based on precious little data indeed. There's not even anything to say about this "new flavor" anyway, considering it doesn't yet exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
So much butthurt and projection.
Do you really think that mangaka's are some prisoners of publishers and they have to just say yes or no as ordered?
Did you forget Mahou Sensou's author saying that he regrets anime's existence?
Or Rail wars author conflict with Passione?

It was even showed in Shirobako. Authors are free to say what they want.
Basically. Umino wouldn't use such exuberant language in her comments if she didn't have to.
Old 2016-01-07, 01:32   Link #89
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
...Website is also up. Airing in Fall. And with that, I'm out of this thread. I'm actually so bothered by this whole ordeal that the best thing I can do is simply try to forget it exists and see what happens in Fall. Peace.
Thread title changed. ^^
Old 2016-01-07, 02:18   Link #90
Westlo
Lets be reality

I can just see it now, SHAFT do it justice and the naysayers are quiet (like you know 99% of the people who bitched about Passione doing Rokka, props to the 1%) and during ep 3 there's a slight headtilt and the "I KNEW SHAFT WOULD FUK THIS UP" posts start.

Quote:
The quality of the Monogatari series has suffered due to Oishi's Kizumonogatri "exile".... But in regards to your actual point, while I have no idea how the series as a whole ended up.... the first episode of Koufuku Graffiti was definitely toned down from the usual SHAFT style. There was shaft fans who didn't like how restrained it was and wanted more shaft touches....

Quote:
Which basically puts me in a very complicated situation where I can only hope that things work out for the best, but I can't believe they will. Bringing back all the memories from when Dance in the Vampire Bund said he was a huge fan of SHAFT/Shinbo and was looking forward to seeing him take liberties with the story and all that crap. We know where that ended, a product that no one really liked, in the end.
Yep, we ended up with a heavily changed adaptation that was shit instead of a 1:1 copy of a shit manga.
Old 2016-01-07, 06:16   Link #91
Dragonria

I wasn't expecting Shaft to animate this but it's better to wait the visuals and the 1st animated PV before judging this. Obviously, Chica Umino wasn't going to say something harsh in her comment (is there even an author who would do that after giving his agreement to an anime adaptation?).

The fact that the author herself (again, is there an anime adaptation which is done without the agreement of the orginal author?) wanted Shaft to direct it doesn't say anything about the quality of the upcoming anime. What matters is the result at end.

Aniplex is also behind this.
Old 2016-01-07, 06:54   Link #92
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

The angst surrounding the fact that Shaft is doing this is strong in this thread.
Old 2016-01-07, 08:40   Link #93
Dragonria

The comment of Chica Umino on the official website:

<< Having worshiped Mr Shinbo (or Simbo)'s works like Bakemonogatari, Madoka Magica, Arakawa Under the Bridge and Zetsubō Sensei, I said "SHAFT, and with Akiyuki Shinbo in control of this!".
If this dream wasn't realized, I think I would have refused the anime adaptation of my manga. I am very happy! I intend to help and encourage him as best I can. >>

Last edited by Dragonria; 2016-01-07 at 08:54.
Old 2016-01-07, 08:52   Link #94
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonria View Post
The comment of Chica Umino on the official website:

<< Having worshiped Mr Shinbo (or Simbo)'s works like Bakemonogatari, Madoka Magica, Arakawa Under the Bridge and Zetsubō Sensei, I said "SHAFT, and with Akiyuki Shinbo in control of this!".
If this dream wasn't realized, I think I would have refused the anime adaptation of my manga. I am very happy! I intend to help and encourage him as as best I can. >>
Sounds like a fellow Shaftfag.
Old 2016-01-07, 11:15   Link #95
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So much naivete... Business is business, and Umino is no fool (and clearly a team player).

I did watch a few eps of Graffiti, and I must say I didn't find it especially toned down - there would have been no way to watch a single minute of that series and think that it could be anyone but Shaft (and that's really the point). Maybe Shaft regulars are so desensitized by Shinbou's hyperactive tics that even a small toning down makes things seem tame.
Old 2016-01-08, 00:26   Link #96
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote:
So much naivete... Business is business, and Umino is no fool (and clearly a team player).
Did you even read her statement? I can think of a million more reasonable explanations for it than "she's at best indifferent to the choice of director, which was foisted on her, and the producers are putting words in her mouth with reckless abandon."

Seriously, this isn't a conspiracy.

Quote:
I did watch a few eps of Graffiti, and I must say I didn't find it especially toned down - there would have been no way to watch a single minute of that series and think that it could be anyone but Shaft (and that's really the point). Maybe Shaft regulars are so desensitized by Shinbou's hyperactive tics that even a small toning down makes things seem tame.
Or maybe it's confirmation bias. We'll never know.
Old 2016-01-08, 01:41   Link #97
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaden View Post
Did you even read her statement? I can think of a million more reasonable explanations for it than "she's at best indifferent to the choice of director, which was foisted on her, and the producers are putting words in her mouth with reckless abandon."

Seriously, this isn't a conspiracy.
Frankly that statement sounded like North Korean propaganda to me.

It's just so difficult to imagine anyone seriously thinking that Shinbo's "Monogatari" style would be a good fit for this story, as that comment seems to (worryingly) hint. That's probably the biggest give away to me. Not even the Shaft defenders on this forum have argued such a thing. Instead you've all suggested it would be toned down, practically admitting that such a combination couldn't work.

And I don't know what you mean by you can think of a "million things more reasonable".Your argument would be that there is one thing more reasonable (that she's telling the truth). Anything else would mean that she's being dishonest which is as exactly reasonable as what Enzo is saying.

Last edited by Haak; 2016-01-08 at 01:57.
Old 2016-01-08, 05:27   Link #98
kuromitsu

Or maybe she's perfectly aware that any adaptation of her work is not likely to follow the "Monogatari" style but will nevertheless have a look and feel that she appreciates. Maybe she's actually seen the shows she lists as having liked, and knows how the adaptations compare to their source materials. Maybe she's honestly excited and curious to see how Shaft will handle her work.

Really, if she wasn't honestly OK with this she could've just said something noncommittal like "Their style is very different from my own so I look forward to see the results" or "It will be different from my work but I hope everyone will enjoy it" or something along those lines. Or she could've declined to comment at all. There was no reason for her to go out of her way to endorse Shaft and Shinbou like that. I don't think it's very reasonable to speculate that she's lying through her teeth and in reality she's crying herself to sleep every night over the expected butchery of her manga.

(And anyway, authors, even authors who create great works, can have horrible taste and/or misguided expectations.)
Old 2016-01-08, 13:06   Link #99
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Or maybe she's perfectly aware that any adaptation of her work is not likely to follow the "Monogatari" style but will nevertheless have a look and feel that she appreciates. Maybe she's actually seen the shows she lists as having liked, and knows how the adaptations compare to their source materials. Maybe she's honestly excited and curious to see how Shaft will handle her work.

Really, if she wasn't honestly OK with this she could've just said something noncommittal like "Their style is very different from my own so I look forward to see the results" or "It will be different from my work but I hope everyone will enjoy it" or something along those lines. Or she could've declined to comment at all. There was no reason for her to go out of her way to endorse Shaft and Shinbou like that. I don't think it's very reasonable to speculate that she's lying through her teeth and in reality she's crying herself to sleep every night over the expected butchery of her manga.

(And anyway, authors, even authors who create great works, can have horrible taste and/or misguided expectations.)

Seriously? Can't think of anyone else that would profit from it? This is on their official website by the way.

So you're telling me that she genuinely worships Shaft, that this is a dream come true and she would've refused any other studio? I think that requires far more explanation than a manufactured PR statement.

Last edited by Haak; 2016-01-08 at 13:17.
Old 2016-01-08, 13:51   Link #100
moodie

it seems like ppl are just projecting their own hate

yes she likes shaft and they chose shaft

i don't get whats so hard to understand. do ppl even know how anime gets made?

besides they are many manga out there that the author refused for anime adaption because it didn't fit their vision
Closed Thread

Tags
seinen, shogi, sports