AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2015-07-11, 04:25   Link #1
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

The Shannara Chronicles (TV Series)

This looks interesting. It's based on a fantasy novel series by Terry Brooks and the show is produced by the director of the 1st two Iron Man films.
Old 2015-07-11, 08:58   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... I was waiting to see some kind of hint about characters and the rest, but the only one I saw was the someone I assumed to be Wil Olhmsford - and even that because he was holding the three elfstones? From there I am guessing some of the bad guys portrayed were the Dagda Mor, the Changeling and the Reaper?

Although if it is only based on the novels who knows what may be picked and chosen....
Old 2015-07-11, 11:30   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Looks very loosely based at best. If that's Will and Flick they're way too old.

It's funny - when I read Sword of Shannara I was like 16 or so, and even then totally aware that this was as transparent a Tokien ripoff as you'll see even in a genre that's basically a Tolkien ripoff in total. But even so, I couldn't put it down - I finished the whole damn book (which is a big damn book) in one day I faked being sick to stay home from school. Very well-written.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 15:35   Link #4
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

looks like a adaption of the 2nd book.

lot of Tokien ripoffs, some good and some bad. Kind of wonder why the Tolkien estate didn't sue since both Shannara 1st book and Iron Tower trilogy were complete copies.

if the shannara, wonder if they will do magic kingdom for SALE.
Old 2015-07-13, 05:04   Link #5
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

Is that the Seattle Space Needle I see? Nice they are setting this in the remnants of the pacific northwest. That's one way to set itself apart from tolkien and game of thrones.
Old 2015-07-14, 01:36   Link #6
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I read these books when I was a little kid, and I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember crap all about them. I remember like one scene from like.. Voyage of Shanara? with the old ruined city and the robot spiders... and some other point where they're in a canyon in.. er.. Druid? I should get these books to read again because that trailer kinda peaked my interest - I was honestly expecting something kind of cringe worthy. At least with this story it won't be as frustratingly annoying as Game of Thrones, and will actually focus on some characters.
Old 2015-07-14, 13:04   Link #7
james0246

Along with Mr. Hat I have also lost most of my memories of the series, especially the early chapters. I do remember the Druid dude from, I guess, the first book. And then I remember later on when (was it) 3 new descendents of the original hero had to take up different mantels. There was a pseudo-badass female character somewhere in the series. And all of it took place in the Land of Oo, or at least how I've come to describe the brand of post-apocalyptia where fantasy takes place.

Still, I am interested to see a new high fantasy series on the little screen. And it is nice that the series seems to have an actual special effects budget, unlike many of MTVs shows.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 19:42   Link #8
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I read these books when I was a little kid, and I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember crap all about them. I remember like one scene from like.. Voyage of Shanara? with the old ruined city and the robot spiders... and some other point where they're in a canyon in.. er.. Druid? I should get these books to read again because that trailer kinda peaked my interest - I was honestly expecting something kind of cringe worthy. At least with this story it won't be as frustratingly annoying as Game of Thrones, and will actually focus on some characters.
the Robot spiders is form the 3rd series, never finish it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Along with Mr. Hat I have also lost most of my memories of the series, especially the early chapters. I do remember the Druid dude from, I guess, the first book. And then I remember later on when (was it) 3 new descendents of the original hero had to take up different mantels. There was a pseudo-badass female character somewhere in the series. And all of it took place in the Land of Oo, or at least how I've come to describe the brand of post-apocalyptia where fantasy takes place.

Still, I am interested to see a new high fantasy series on the little screen. And it is nice that the series seems to have an actual special effects budget, unlike many of MTVs shows.
2nd series, about 100 yrs after the 3rd book.

there were a couple of strong female leads.
Old 2015-07-15, 00:00   Link #9
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

3rd series was pretty... average.. wasn't it?
Old 2015-07-15, 14:10   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
3rd series was pretty... average.. wasn't it?
i finish the 1st book but that was it.

i think Brooks had milk the franchise for all it is worth in terms of sequels.
Old 2015-07-15, 14:23   Link #11
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

I only finished the first three: Sword, Elfstones and WishSong - and I also knew even then (early 1980's) that it was closely copying Tolkien in Sword. Elfstones was a bit more interesting. WishSong lost my interest pretty early.

Although I must admit I always "simply" imagined it as a standard fantasy setting ... I was quite surprised by the post-apocalyptic USA type setting the pv seemed to be espousing for the series. Loosely based indeed. But I wonder if it could work?
Old 2015-07-15, 14:30   Link #12
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I only finished the first three: Sword, Elfstones and WishSong - and I also knew even then (early 1980's) that it was closely copying Tolkien in Sword. Elfstones was a bit more interesting. WishSong lost my interest pretty early.

Although I must admit I always "simply" imagined it as a standard fantasy setting ... I was quite surprised by the post-apocalyptic USA type setting the pv seemed to be espousing for the series. Loosely based indeed. But I wonder if it could work?
well the novel setting is post-apocalyptic. The 2nd series went into it more then the 1st series.
Old 2015-07-15, 14:52   Link #13
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
well the novel setting is post-apocalyptic. The 2nd series went into it more then the 1st series.
Ohhhh. Did not know that. That makes sense then.

I wonder if that was decided on from the get go of the first series or added in afterwards? It's kinda strange for me to imagine the first series in a post-apocalyptic setting.
Old 2016-01-07, 16:22   Link #14
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

watch the first 2 ep

if it was for the name you won't have been able to recognize it.

looks like MTV gutted the story and rewrote it form scratch keeping only the name and the bare basic of the story.

edit:
Decent enough if you have NOT read the books. But if you have read the books and don't take kindly to mutilations, i suggest you stay away form it.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2016-01-07 at 16:34.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-09, 13:53   Link #15
Chosen_Hero

So far it's pretty good, as someone that hasn't read the books I really don't care if it follows them or not as long as it keeps me engaged, I'll keep watching it even though I was spoiled about the Will x Amberley ship... I reeeeaaally hate spoilers.
Old 2016-03-09, 08:36   Link #16
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

The Real Reason Why Shannara Chronicles Failed to Copy The Success of Game of Thrones
Old 2016-03-10, 17:11   Link #17
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

thank Anri i didn't bother watching beyond the first 2 ep.

instead of focusing on epic battles between evles/man/dwarves/trolls against the demon. They focus on racial politics which the original never had.
Old 2016-03-10, 18:31   Link #18
Chosen_Hero

I agree eith the article, but I will say that it was far from the worst thing ever, it was just very, very average.
Old 2016-03-16, 09:41   Link #19
james0246

Besides the first and the last episode, the series was completely forgettable. But damn if the cliffhanger didn't annoy me enough to want some sort of closure. Urgh.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-16, 09:56   Link #20
Sagitta Luminis
Yousoro~

That is unexpected, especially since the book series is pretty old. Trying to ride on the success of GoT, maybe?

Tags
fantasy