AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-18, 18:25   Link #1
KenshinAGoGoBaby

Two Monster questions for manga fans...

1. Where you can download Scanslations of the manga?

and...

2. Without too many spoilers, for those who've seen both the anime and manga which one would you recommend viewing first and why?
Old 2004-11-18, 19:08   Link #2
jalana
Editorizor of Fansubs

1) Mangascreeners has the entire series on their site.

2) Depends on how patient you are. The anime is following the manga very faithfully, so it doesn't really matter which one you view first. The thing to remember is that the manga has ended, so if you're the type of person to want to find out what happens NOW, read the manga.
Old 2004-11-18, 20:02   Link #3
KenshinAGoGoBaby

I'm pretty patient so I'm not in a hurry to go after which one has ended first. I know some mangas are badass compared to their mangas (Shaman King) and vice versa (FMA, Naruto) and I'm just trying to decide which is better for Monster.

Last edited by KenshinAGoGoBaby; 2004-11-19 at 00:54. Reason: didn't need to quote
Old 2004-11-19, 01:48   Link #4
hooliganj
Team Player

It's up to you really. If you like the show, I recommend both.

Mangascreener usually pulls licensed titles from their line-up, so now that Viz has Monster, you may just have to wait for it to come out.

edit: And because I just know someone will ask how I know: here's the story. December 8th seems a little close for not having been announced yet, the Viz webpage has no info, and Amazon lists the author as "Joe Smith", but it can't just be an accident, right? I mean, they're taking preorders and everything.

Last edited by hooliganj; 2004-11-19 at 01:59. Reason: added link
Old 2004-11-19, 19:56   Link #5
LazyWulfran0
Laser-Equipped Penguin

Send a message via AIM to LazyWulfran0
How thoroughly does Amazon check to make sure they aren't being fed fake information? Because I haven't seen anything else indicating that Monster is licensed, and I HAVE seen some fairly suspicious things on there, like this. (Check the author's name. He's the mangaka for Video Girl Ai and I"s. I can't find anything outside Amazon connecting him to any part of GitS, and it doesn't really make sense to me.)
Old 2004-11-19, 21:16   Link #6
IMSabbel

I wouldnt recommend reading the manga first. I did, and after that, the anime bored me to dead.
If you always know all twists and secrets, the whole thing degenerates into a "find the differences and nitpick" session.
Old 2004-11-19, 21:42   Link #7
Crowley
A-Kraze QCer

Only if you're a silly nitpicker....
Old 2004-11-20, 01:34   Link #8
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyWulfran0
How thoroughly does Amazon check to make sure they aren't being fed fake information? Because I haven't seen anything else indicating that Monster is licensed, and I HAVE seen some fairly suspicious things on there, like this. (Check the author's name. He's the mangaka for Video Girl Ai and I"s. I can't find anything outside Amazon connecting him to any part of GitS, and it doesn't really make sense to me.)
I don't know how good their information security is normally, but apparently this solicitation came directly from Viz. It's the exact same evidence being used to show that Hunter X Hunter has been licensed, although it's a mystery to me why they would pick up and release a couple of highly anticipated series without announcing anything.
Old 2004-11-22, 04:16   Link #9
defunct
Expendable Hero

I'd reccommend the anime first even though i'm a general fan of monster's manga, animation usually gets more attention than it's manga counterpart. Who knows? if the person gets into the anime enough, they become impatient enough to switch on over to the manga side anywhoo
Old 2004-12-02, 15:48   Link #10
UnDeaD

Monster Manga or Monster Anime?

Which one do you recommend yo see/read? I have seen monster till episode 8 in the anime, and i have just download the BT pack with the 18 volumes... but... which one do you recomend me to follow? The manga or the anime?
Old 2004-12-02, 17:11   Link #11
Trax
Rock beats scissors

From what I've heard, the anime follows the manga pretty well. So it's up to you, what media do you prefer? And ofc. the manga is already finished so you won't have to wait. For me anime is the preferred media.
Old 2004-12-03, 22:21   Link #12
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to kcl822
My suggestion: watch the anime first, then read the manga. So far, the anime follows the manga closely, but there are parts in which is shown in the anime but not in the manga. Besides, if you read now, you'll lose interest since you already know what's going to happen.
Old 2004-12-04, 05:58   Link #13
Ri_
mangaworm

Other views on the subject here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23983

As for me... the anime has it's own merits, I find it gives off a more "homely" feeling, I can't quite put it into words. A more "panoramic" feeling, because you get to see more of the locations. On the other hand, I find the manga better in the suspense department, and it's quicker in pacing. All in all, the manga belongs definitely to the top of it's medium, whilst the anime may be quite good but not the top of the tops.
Old 2004-12-04, 08:23   Link #14
Crowley
A-Kraze QCer

Quote:
Other views on the subject here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23983
That's this thread....

I read up ahead of the anime a while back, once it gets close to where I've read I'll read a couple volumes more. Same story, almost exact repetition of the manga in the anime; it doesn't really matter which is read first.
Old 2004-12-04, 09:46   Link #15
Ri_
mangaworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley
That's this thread....
Oh, some modly being has removed a thread and placed all it's posts into this one, how practical.
Old 2004-12-06, 10:15   Link #16
Nate RFB

For whatever reason, I think Monster is a story that is best read. I can't exactly explain why, since the anime and manga are so close. I guess sometimes the animation seems weird, and the director sometimes changes around how the panel angels are setup in the manga. I remember some scenes being a little bit more dramatic in the manga, like Eva showing up in the forest, Nina walking down the mansion corridor, etc.

Both are both great though.
Closed Thread