Demi

Facepalm: Love in 2-D

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/ma...-2DLove-t.html

Demi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 07:08   Link #2
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
I say, leave him. If he's happy and doesn't harm anyone, then who are we to judge. (Especially girls)
There's already a thread on 2D love (or thr funny news thread) so chances are, that this is gonna get merged or deleted.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 07:14   Link #3
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
This happens in Japan a lot, Not that big.

Chaho-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 07:15   Link #4
Demi

This is the first time I've heard about it... and on nytimes of all places... quite a culture shock for me.
Demi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 08:13   Link #5
stubby42

I'm supprised anyone would say that its not a big deal because their suffering from a pretty big personality disorder (or several), I mean apart from chosing objects over people both the people they interviewed said their chosen characters were between 10 and 12 years old. Thats very wrong (and under US law now illegal).
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 08:34   Link #6
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post
I'm supprised anyone would say that its not a big deal because their suffering from a pretty big personality disorder (or several), I mean apart from chosing objects over people both the people they interviewed said their chosen characters were between 10 and 12 years old. Thats very wrong (and under US law now illegal).
Ah, then again re-read that article and all articles related to japanese men who own tons of candydolls or similar pillows.
They wre rejected by girls or have ex-gf's in the past, they admit they're not the most handsome or perhaps the 'best catch of the sea', but feel lonely and want companion as much as others and this option just happens to be prevailant in Japanese society.

The question you should ask rather is 'why can people actually profit from a sad situation like this?'
There's a market for it, and I doubt a majority of those men who escape to 2D have personality orders or think of tweens as the gf they want.
Rather, perhaps it's just (in their minds) the only form of 'comfort' in form of a 'human physique' that they feel they can get.
Sounds like true loss of hope to me.

It's just lonliness on a very very very sad and perhaps tragic scale.
Rather he cuddle with a pillow rather than go on a shootout and take as many of the world with him.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 08:35   Link #7
iLney

Like Mystique said, he's harmless so just leave him alone. And .... I see it quite a Romantic story in a sense
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 09:44   Link #8
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Relentless wrote an interesting article about it here.
Spoiler for saving space:
Old 2009-07-28, 10:04   Link #9
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post
I'm pretty sure Nemu (the first girl mentioned) isn't supposed to be between 10 and 12. And actually, I've always had trouble understanding why some people see such characters as being like 10.

Some of the other character mentioned actually are 10 though.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 10:09   Link #10
Ash Falls Town

What kind of guy goes out with his girlfriend while she is in her underwear is what I want to know.
If he loves her as much as he would a real human he should treat her like a real human and real humans need to conform to public decency laws.
Old 2009-07-28, 10:10   Link #11
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

The article is good, but I think some of the comments to the article is sadder than the article itself: the lack of "lack of cultural Common Sense" for most people is more sad (and irritating) than this guy's story. He's just a poor guy, lost in the war what is Love, why it's so disturbing what he does? You should comfort him instead, the lack of this what caused this in the first place. I think he's psychologically normal.

Btw, it's really not that big deal, I've heard a million stories like this before.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 18:26   Link #12
Autumn Demon
~

I thought this thread was going to be about facepalms; very disappointed.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 18:36   Link #13
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I can't say I'm not raising an eyebrow at this, but I'm not too bothered by it.

As long as these kinds of people don't harm anyone, I'm fine with this. They do what fits their life. I'd rather they live this way and be happy and harmless than force themselves into a conventional but ill-fitting relationship and end up hurting not only themselves but other people.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 18:45   Link #14
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Shouldn't something be done about this? It seems like this is a social problem for those people and this seem to further diminish Japan's birth rate, which is already low(though probably a stretch at best as this only seem to apply to minorities).
Old 2009-07-28, 20:05   Link #15
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Just one problem of many. I tend to summarize Japan's low birth-rate problem down to perfectionism. Generally, they would simply ignore anyone who is not perfect (men who are not manly, see "herbivorous boys").

I would imagine that being dumped over there is a much bigger deal and loss of face than in the West, just like being fired from your job, so the rejects have no choice but to turn to this. It's really very sad.

Important: They'll appear creepy, but they're harmless. If you don't like them, don't look at them, that's it.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 20:14   Link #16
klowny
OH NO

I never understood why people fall for 2-D
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 20:44   Link #17
justavisitor

read the article, hmm that guy is a bit extreme..but I am not bothered by it too much

I mean, in real world, there are ppl who choose to be single because they think they find the meaning of their lives..for example, monks from chinese won't get married because they think it's much more meaningful to become a buddha so they won't be trapped in the eternal cycle

That guy from the article gives some goosebumps to ppl because he carries the pillow around XD...but let's say, if he keeps those things at home, he also participates well in social life, however he just won't marry because he thinks that particular anime character is all he needs, then what can we blame him for?

There are many reasons that ppl choose to be single, falling for 2-D sounds weird, but it's legit...
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 21:07   Link #18
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Just one problem of many. I tend to summarize Japan's low birth-rate problem down to perfectionism. Generally, they would simply ignore anyone who is not perfect (men who are not manly, see "herbivorous boys").

I would imagine that being dumped over there is a much bigger deal and loss of face than in the West, just like being fired from your job, so the rejects have no choice but to turn to this. It's really very sad.

Important: They'll appear creepy, but they're harmless. If you don't like them, don't look at them, that's it.
I'm sure not ALL Japanese women are so er picky. Sides, call me a lazy american but the workaholic salaryman life style is NOT enviable, let alone manly.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 21:55   Link #19
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Work-life integration is still sorely lacking in Japan. The newer generation know by instinct that workaholic salarymen are a relic of the past. It doesn't work.
Old 2009-07-28, 22:52   Link #20
Lio
Presence

I see Japan's social issues are still fine and dandy!

But really, things like that are the result of the greedy consumer culture, poor social education, and loss of basic human wisdom. Ever since the advent of hardcore consumerism and materialism, people have lost touch with their nature.

It's not just just Japan though.
While America produces really dumb children, Japan produces...
Lio is offline   Reply With Quote