AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 40
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 17 34.69%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 9 18.37%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 10 20.41%
7 out of 10: Good... 5 10.20%
6 out of 10: Average... 3 6.12%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 2 4.08%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 4.08%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 1 2.04%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-15, 19:11   Link #101
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
What's even more surprising is the battle just started and the Federation is already going to blow up mode? It's not going poorly for them at the moment.

How is killing enemy soldiers genocidal?

Rules of Engagement is that the second a civilian grabs a weapon, points and shoots at a soldier they are considered combatants and have forfeit their lives.

Flit even made a point to Kio that anyone who follows Vagan deserves to die and that's all he's been doing. He called Ezcelant a mad tyrant and he's not that far off from the truth. Ezcelant has to be stopped at all costs.

If it turns out that the Vagans stop fighting because of Kio's actions that's really going to be bending logic and at this point I wouldn't be surprised.
Dude, they've made it pretty clear FLit isn't referring to just enemy soldiers when he flips out at Kio for even suggesting that the Vagans might not be bad people after all. He means everyone, including civilians.

His logic is fucked up because civilians aren't to blame for their leaders' actions, and doing so always leads to more problems. That's a lesson the Allies learned the hard way with Germany following WWI.
Old 2012-07-15, 19:16   Link #102
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Algreus probably authorized it as a contingency plan. If they cannot capture the Luna base from Vagan control, then they have to make sure the Vagans can't use it either, and that means destroying the base entirely.
Yes, that's a contingency plan. So far, the Federation is doing very well with AGE-FX ripping through the defenders. There's no need to fire the missiles yet, since blowing up the base would be counterproductive to the planned assault on the Vagan superweapon fortress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
His logic is fucked up because civilians aren't to blame for their leaders' actions, and doing so always leads to more problems. That's a lesson the Allies learned the hard way with Germany following WWI.
False. Even after WWII, the Allies did continue to blame the Germans. The war was not caused by blame, but rather the reparations the Allies insisted on combined with the Great Depression making Germany unable to repay. Hence, after WWII it's occupation and cultural change, in addition to reparations. The punishment was greater than before.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 19:19   Link #103
MoonLightShadows
Gundam Meister

Recently I just noticed that too Flit seems to want all Vagan killed, Soldiers/Civilians. I love that girl with the green hair at the end, Reminds me of Hilling Care.
MoonLightShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 19:19   Link #104
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I know. I never said that Flit intended to use it for the contingency plan. Just that that's likely why Algreus authorized it--he likely doesn't realize the extent of Flit's hatred of the Vagans.
Old 2012-07-15, 19:26   Link #105
justsomeguy

Quote:
I know. I never said that Flit intended to use it for the contingency plan. Just that that's likely why Algreus authorized it--he likely doesn't realize the extent of Flit's hatred of the Vagans.
That would be very bad writing. Flit has hated the Vagans for years, but he had always tempered his hatred in order to focus on the mission. Suddenly deciding to sabotage the operation goes against his previous characterization.

Old 2012-07-15, 19:49   Link #106
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Think the one downside from the OP is saying that the Dark Hound isn't getting major overhaul which it seemed to clearly need after the last fight. I mean sure let Kio have the spotlight since it is his generation, but at least give Asemu some firepower. I mean come on just spit out another AGE-2 Double Bullet, that thing worked fine .
What do you mean? He fought the Legilis to a virtual standstill.
Old 2012-07-15, 19:50   Link #107
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Without doing any damage to it despite shooting it in the face (where the cockpit is located) at point blank range.
Old 2012-07-15, 20:08   Link #108
justsomeguy

If Dark Hound had stronger weapons Asemu would have ended the war last episode by destroying Legilis and killing Ezelcant, leaving Vagan to fight a civil war for control and their Earth front to collapse.

Old 2012-07-15, 20:17   Link #109
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

So disappointed with AGE-FX. BIG downgrade aethistically from AGE-3.

And lookie here, we have again the "fight a war without causing casualties" bullshit. I didn't like it in Wing, nor when they did it in Seed, and it still sounds dumb as hell here in Age. I really hope it bites Kio in the butt big time this time around. <_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by WefiDasst View Post
was hopping Romary would slap Asemu or something.
This, considering Asemu deserves much more than that.

And yeah, "I'll continue fighting like this if it means Kio and Romary can live in peace!" Great logic there Sherlock, considering Kio is already fighting in the frigging war, got captured by the enemy, and would've been killed already if he didn't look like Ezelcant's son. >_>

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 20:33   Link #110
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
If Dark Hound had stronger weapons Asemu would have ended the war last episode by destroying Legilis and killing Ezelcant, leaving Vagan to fight a civil war for control and their Earth front to collapse.
You sure about that? The Gundam AGE-3 had the strongest armor of the Gundams thus far, able to tank the Danazine's shots, and the Legilis was developed and upgraded from the AGE-3, so even the Double Bullet would probably have trouble doing any real damage to the Legilis.
Old 2012-07-15, 20:48   Link #111
justsomeguy

Quote:
You sure about that? The Gundam AGE-3 had the strongest armor of the Gundams thus far, able to tank the Danazine's shots, and the Legilis was developed and upgraded from the AGE-3, so even the Double Bullet would probably have trouble doing any real damage to the Legilis.
For any combat unit to be effective, weapons tech and armor tech should be roughly parity. For multiple point-blank shots to the head to even fail to scratch the paint is pathetic. If Dark Hound had weapons from Kio's era, Asemu would have done the job eventually, given how he was outmaneuvering both Legilis and Zamdrag. Given how beam sabers are portrayed, I doubt even Legilis can take one of Double Bullet's huge sabers to the head.

Old 2012-07-15, 21:06   Link #112
Key Board
Carbon

Flit has been fighting Vagans for 60+ years and there's a lot of justified resentment

At this point his character has crystallized, and if he were ever to change his mind it would be nothing but contrived writing.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 21:06   Link #113
Justin_Brett

So I guess either Flit's going to die or get Yamato'd. Kind of a shame.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 21:21   Link #114
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
That would be very bad writing. Flit has hated the Vagans for years, but he had always tempered his hatred in order to focus on the mission. Suddenly deciding to sabotage the operation goes against his previous characterization.
ANd his commander who operated under him for so long should've been some foil to him.

It just doesn't make any sense. The lunar base looks largely intact and they should make every effort to capture it.

To destroy it outright when the battle just started is just ridiculous, especially when the battle is leaning in their favour.

Quote:
Dude, they've made it pretty clear FLit isn't referring to just enemy soldiers when he flips out at Kio for even suggesting that the Vagans might not be bad people after all. He means everyone, including civilians.
In Flit's defense where has a Vagan done anything to show him otherwise?

Look at it this way,

Asemu had Zeheart as a friend for awhile so it was a huge shock when he found out the truth but there it was. Asemu saw another side to the Vagans.

Kio on the other hand had the chance to see the other side of the Vagans as they were and thanks to him looking like Ezcelant's son he got gold treatment (The other Vagans wouldn't have been so kind to him to begin with). Despite even knowing why Ezcelant is doing this he even said, "let's stop fighting...." Yeah that only works when BOTH sides are willing to do that.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 21:30   Link #115
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
ANd his commander who operated under him for so long should've been some foil to him.

It just doesn't make any sense. The lunar base looks largely intact and they should make every effort to capture it.

To destroy it outright when the battle just started is just ridiculous, especially when the battle is leaning in their favour.
It makes sense if you start seeing him for the genocidal crazy old man he is. But oh no, must justify his blind hatred until the bitter end.
Old 2012-07-15, 21:33   Link #116
Raysoul

Algreus gave the clearance for using that weapon, so it was planned from the start. And also, like Asemu said, there is something in that base that could give the Vagan an advantage in the war.

I think they are just using their MS to clear the path.
Old 2012-07-15, 21:53   Link #117
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysoul View Post
Algreus gave the clearance for using that weapon, so it was planned from the start. And also, like Asemu said, there is something in that base that could give the Vagan an advantage in the war.

I think they are just using their MS to clear the path.
Yeah he did, but as someone already pointed out, it was most likely as a last resort in case they couldn't take the base back, not to be used as a preemptive measure just to inflict mass casualties and destroy the facility like Flit intends.
Old 2012-07-15, 21:53   Link #118
justsomeguy

Quote:
No, Algreus gave permission for Diva to carry the weapon. Nothing was said about using it during the briefing.
Also, what Asemu said was that the lunar base was an advantage because it was being used by the Vagans to facilitate their invasion of Earth, not that there's something inside. The thing he's afraid of is the Vagans transporting "something big," which I presume is that huge final boss thing in the OP.

Old 2012-07-15, 22:05   Link #119
Raysoul

That thing is a superweapon according to them. Bringing a superweapon to a "recapture a base" mission as a last resort doesn't make sense, hence, Natora doubting it. Carrying a super weapon without using it is useless. I also think that the MS pilots doesn't know about this, so I bet they will be also surprised once it has been launched.

And also, Algreus is Flit's number one fan.
Old 2012-07-15, 22:06   Link #120
justsomeguy

Quote:
That thing is a superweapon according to them. Bringing a superweapon to a "recapture a base" mission as a last resort doesn't make sense
Why not? The last resort is "If we can't capture the base, at least we'll deny it to the Vagans by blowing it up." Besides, the weapon seems to just be a missile with a specialized warhead. If it's similar to what the Vagans used during their attack on Rostruolon, it's something small enough to fit on mobile suits, hence not bulk to worry about.

Tags
weekly episode discussion