AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2005-12-28, 05:24   Link #1
Kerooooo
e-pen0r detector

Do you "vandalize" shows

More and more I find myself fast forwarding during anime eps, being bored with the antics, annoyed with one ep sluginess, etc... That kind of break the flow of the story sometimes but well

Has the massive fansub-availability lead you to behave like a spoiled and hyperactive kid too ?

Do you have any other bad habits during your anime-watching sessions ? (no nudity please )
Kerooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 05:39   Link #2
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

It is really hard to fast forward on the air anime you know ...unless you have a Tivo type of thing.

But, say about DVD's, yeah, I fast forward to the scenes that I want to watch again and again. At to the point where I would encode that particular scene for plaback on my Pocket PC
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 05:46   Link #3
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

I think "vandalize" might be a wrong term to use in this case ^^;; Somehow, it feels like I'm doing something naughty... *stops watching Ichigo Mashimaro...* I would be lying if I said I didn't have any bad habits, but it's kind of difficult to think up of some.

Hmmm~ maybe something like pausing for a panty shot? *remembers Hagino's kuma pantsu... geki moe~* or pretty much an fanservice shot for that matter. Those kind of scenes I think deserve a good pause and gawk once in a while!
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 06:08   Link #4
Ilpalazzo-sama

Well...i don't know if it counts, but I usually re-watch the ending episode of a series.
Ilpalazzo-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 06:17   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

There are a number of shows where I fast-forward through the OP - those are almost always exactly 90 seconds long and easy to skip through, though Zettai Shounen has a 110 second OP.

There are also several shows where I fast-forward through repetitive power-up or attack sequences. For instance, I love Pretty Cure, but surely you don't expect me to watch "Dual Aurora Wave" (68 seconds) or "Marble Screw" (23 seconds) every single time! I'd have seen both of those about 49 times by now!! And then there is the horribly boring "Receive the Power of Light-popo" which takes an endless 35 seconds and after a brief interlude is always followed by the "Pretty Cure Rainbow Storm" for another 26 seconds.

While not everyone here has seen Pretty Cure, it isn't the only show guilty of doing this. I'm sure that everyone here has seen at least one such show.

Aside these sorts of repetitive animations, I never skip through anything. Does this count as "vandalize"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpalazzo-sama
Well...i don't know if it counts, but I usually re-watch the ending episode of a series.
No, that doesn't count at all! That is the opposite of what is being talked about.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 06:28   Link #6
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Uhm, for regular episodes, not at all I would say.
Usually if any anime runs on my screen, it means or 1) it is currently being judged, or 2) it has already been approved.
In case 1 , eventually I will stop watching it by next episode. In case 2, it's already safe. I don't see the point in fast-forwarding since you could easily lose important frames of the main route.

A bit different when it comes to OP/ED, if they annoys me I could also skip them, since I know I'm not losing anything of the story-plot.

Then in the case NoSanninWa mentioned (Pretty Cure), it's a compromise to skip that determinate - ever identical - sequence, and I would do the same as him as well. I think I did the same with Sakura, when she called back her cards saying "Please return to the guild where you were meant to be". After 30 or so (out of 70) episodes it bothered me, so if I had the remote near me I skipped it regularly
Old 2005-12-28, 06:33   Link #7
Kerooooo
e-pen0r detector

I think you're indeed more toward "obsessing/rewatching" than "vandalizing/skipping", Ilpalazzo-san (as well as Cloudnine and mangatron)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudnine
Hmmm~ maybe something like pausing for a panty shot? *remembers Hagino's kuma pantsu... geki moe~* or pretty much an fanservice shot for that matter. Those kind of scenes I think deserve a good pause and gawk once in a while!
I see I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Aside these sorts of repetitive animations, I never skip through anything. Does this count as "vandalize"?
I think skipping mahou shoujo transformation scenes should belong to the exceptions, it's not really vandalizing yet. I was more thinking about skipping/FastForwarding unseen content, in the spirit of "eww I know what's coming next, let's move on".

I did it a lot on first eps of Karin, in Jigoku Shoujo and in Teizokurei Daydream (this last one must have lasted 5 mn in real time and then I trashed the whole thing)
Old 2005-12-28, 06:44   Link #8
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

If that's your definition of vandalize, then so far nobody who posted here vandalizes their anime.

Now, lets hear from anyone else who actually commits this horrendous crime, so that we can throw you all into the "Hell of the Black Rope", along with Kerooooo.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2005-12-28, 07:28   Link #9
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
If that's your definition of vandalize, then so far nobody who posted here vandalizes their anime.

Now, lets hear from anyone else who actually commits this horrendous crime, so that we can throw you all into the "Hell of the Black Rope", along with Kerooooo.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL

I treat my anime as if they are a live person! After all, I love all the anime girls LOL
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 07:59   Link #10
Kerooooo
e-pen0r detector

*Transformation Attack*
Would you really punish someone as cute as me ?

Seriously I can't believe I'm the only one getting hasty with the FF button
Old 2005-12-28, 08:00   Link #11
MakotoFatora
Yes

Send a message via AIM to MakotoFatora
Around about episode 35 of Gundam SEED Destiny, I'd start to skip through the episode prior to watching, dropping in every 3-4 mins and see if there was even anything remotely interesting going on. I'd also skip clip scenes, flashbacks and stock footage for eps I did watch, which roughly meant I'd watch about 90 seconds of each episode anyways (cue my rimshot, Johnny!).

About 3-4 eps later I decided I wasn't missing much and stopped watching it altogether. So, I don't know if that counts as "vandalism" so much as just losing interest in a show altogether and struggling to maintain an interest...

In general the worst I do is see a funny part and then rewind it repeatedly to watch it a few times before finishing up the rest of the episode. Harima's confession in ep 10 of School Rumble comes to mind for that. I think I rewound that part about 20 times before I finally finished watching the episode. There were tons of other scenes in SR I did that to as well

(edit: whoever negative-repped this for my signature...go and learn Japanese. Please. )

Last edited by MakotoFatora; 2005-12-31 at 10:35.
MakotoFatora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 08:43   Link #12
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I would never fastword through unseen parts of an anime because
a) I need to be able to defend my opinions of something and I can't do that if I haven't seen it.
b) I tend to like what I watch. If I don't, I'll stop watching it.
c) I might miss something. In a show like Nanoha, the odds of missing a massive plot twist by fastforwarding are about 60% per minute

However, I do sometimes freezeframe on either great fanservice (Pani Poni Dash episode eyecatch with the twins in swimsuits comes to mind) or just scenes where people are making funny faces. I also skip many repeated scenes. UFO Princess Valkyrie comes to mind there. Older Valkyrie is undeniably hot but if I see that damn transformation one more time I'm gonna get cancer of the everything.

Now, I took vandalize to mean heckling or photoshopping. At which case, yes to both of those. If anyone's ever seen FloorPie's "Sister Princess RePure In a Nutshell" or "D4 Princess Gone Horribly Wrong", then yeah, that was my friends and I. I used the name Jester back then. But those were VHS circulations so I doubt anyone outside Atlantic Canada saw them.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 12:11   Link #13
DaFool
Resident devil

Anime is precious. I never vandalize anime because each 1/12-second frame is painstakingly drawn, even if it were by Korean or Chinese. Each animator completes an average of between 4 to 6 seconds per day. Since the animation industry is more suicide-prone compared to the rest of the entertainment industry, even if something is crap I force myself to sit through it out of respect to their efforts. Then I have to be more choosy and research what I watch before I download, and I download the first eps only--not batch download-- if I'm not sure I will follow something.

Notice also typically cartoons and animation have their plots go twice as fast as live action. A single 11-13 minute half ep is sufficient to have a full story. Another example, after 24 min of an ep of Sekai no Senki, I feel I absorbed more information than 50 min of Star Trek. It's that intense.

The downside: it seems twice as long for the same running time as live action. Every Ghibli movie to me, which is typically 2 hours or more, felt like 4+ hours.

Live action, on the other hand, I can vandalize like crazy, knowing that they just shoot and shoot and waste film and just edit it later. If they edit the scenes that they show, then I can edit the scenes that I watch.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 16:12   Link #14
Hydex

Hm, yeah i vandalize my animes quite often ... I have so many shows to watch that i don't waste my time when i know for sure what will happen in the next few minutes
Hydex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 20:13   Link #15
Cinos

I skip the opening song unless its good :P
and i do skip some of the boring part somethimes in my anime.
and yes i do feel spoiled sometimes, but thats not my fault
Cinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 20:45   Link #16
jedinat

I turn the volume off and watch Suzuka in window mode whenever Akizuki talks to Suzuka. He's too embarrassing.
I skimmed through about half of Kannazuki no Miko and watched the kissing scene in the last episode muiltiple times...
If I can't stand waiting to see what happens during a scene, I might skip ahead a few seconds, and then skip back and watch it.
If I ever get bored of an anime to the point of not wanting to watch it anymore, I skip to the end.

I'm also guilty of various other atrocities.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 21:05   Link #17
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
I skip the opening and ending themes of every anime I have downloaded. I have yet to actually sit down and watch them, and this includes watching the first episode. Spare me the annoying cutsey sugary J-pop and get on with the damn show. That's what I say.

Also, I go back if there are fansubber notes that explain some jokes in a particular scene.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 21:08   Link #18
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
For instance, I love Pretty Cure, but surely you don't expect me to watch "Dual Aurora Wave" (68 seconds) or "Marble Screw" (23 seconds) every single time! I'd have seen both of those about 49 times by now!! And then there is the horribly boring "Receive the Power of Light-popo" which takes an endless 35 seconds and after a brief interlude is always followed by the "Pretty Cure Rainbow Storm" for another 26 seconds.
Yes I do, especially if it is PreCure. Bank shots (anime lingo: scenes that are used over and over again are known as "bank") are your friend.

To answer the topic of this question, well yes and no...in a way.

Back when anime was sold on LD formats, I would "vandalize" it by actually seeing each frame by frame when the anime was recorded on CAV format. In a way, it is "vandalizing" the show as I would gripe "dude the genga-man who did this cut was cheapening it."

Yes, I was that low.

Thanks to the DVD format, I can't do this anymore. So, I do skip over parts to a certain scene that I want to see again.

As for anime shows that are shown on TV, NO. NEVER. Even though I do own a HD recorder that is capable of things that are known as "Tivos" in your country, I would never do that to an anime show. It is full of disrespect to the animators.

Yes, I am that low.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 00:48   Link #19
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Quote:
For instance, I love Pretty Cure, but surely you don't expect me to watch "Dual Aurora Wave" (68 seconds) or "Marble Screw" (23 seconds) every single time! I'd have seen both of those about 49 times by now!! And then there is the horribly boring "Receive the Power of Light-popo" which takes an endless 35 seconds and after a brief interlude is always followed by the "Pretty Cure Rainbow Storm" for another 26 seconds.
Yes I do, especially if it is PreCure. Bank shots (anime lingo: scenes that are used over and over again are known as "bank") are your friend.
Explain please. Why are bank shots my friends? And why should I especially take care to watch them, if it is PreCure? Are their bank shots special?

I know that sometimes in PreCure these shots are interrupted by dialogue, so I back up and watch it if the time differs from what I was expecting. But somehow I don't think that is what you meant.

Old 2005-12-29, 01:21   Link #20
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Explain please. Why are bank shots my friends? And why should I especially take care to watch them, if it is PreCure? Are their bank shots special?

I know that sometimes in PreCure these shots are interrupted by dialogue, so I back up and watch it if the time differs from what I was expecting. But somehow I don't think that is what you meant.
"Bank shots" are specific scenes that are used repeatedly over a course of a season. Typically, they are transformation sequences in magical shoujo, but it can also be battle sequences.

The interesting part of watching these bank scenes is usually to make fun of them. A transformation or a battle bank will be used when it is totally out of place - like a wrong MS being blown up etc. etc.

It's more of a niche thing of not missing a bank scene as it usually is a great way to nit-pick about an episode.

Of course, bank scenes can also be very interesting - as in Card Captor Sakura. Sakura-tan's Clow Card sequence was very intriguing as her dress changes every time, thanks to Tomoyo-tan.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote