AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 08
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 56 38.62%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 52 35.86%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 24 16.55%
7 out of 10: Good... 9 6.21%
6 out of 10: Average... 1 0.69%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.69%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.38%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-25, 17:20   Link #61
Garasou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
...that's exactly what I said except with spoiler confirmation instead of leaving it as speculation.
I don't know if I would call it spoiler as it's just an explanation of the mechanics behind the game, and one that probably won't happen in the anime as the SS it appears on likely won't be animated(If it was going to be it would have been episode 2)
Garasou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 17:23   Link #62
dark998

The duel was slightly underwhelming because it ended so fast with the opponent's weapon destruction. But the fights against Lizardknight and Skeleton mobs were great. Asuna cooking gracefully with those swift movements was very nice as well.

And that cliffhanger..once again waiting for the next episode becomes more painful than usual. The production team has the obligation to suprass the Illfang battle from episode 2.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 17:24   Link #63
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
But... He isn't close to any other girls.
Then who were Sachi, Silica and Lizbeth? Figments of his imagination?

Quote:
Remember, the weapons (and probably armor) actually have simulated weight. We saw Lisbeth react to how heavy Kirito's sword was last episode. So it's not hard to imagine that wearing your armor and weapons indoors is looked on as kind of weird because it's uncomfortable. We've also seen people undressing to go to sleep in previous episodes.
If we are in a world where they have the technology capable of simulating the actual feeling of the weight of armor being worn or weapons being wielded, you'd think it would also be possible to program it so preparing food is done in the same required procedure you would go through in real life yes?

The inconsistencies of the "realism" in SAO really stands out.
Old 2012-08-25, 17:24   Link #64
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
20-something? I put Klein as somebody in his 40s - old enough to be Kirito's dad, anyway.
Considering his interest in Kirito's sister (little sister at that), he'd better not be that old. Even if he overestimates Kirito's age a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post

If we are in a world where they have the technology capable of simulating the actual feeling of the weight of armor being worn or weapons being wielded, you'd think it would also be possible to program it so preparing food is done in the same required procedure you would go through in real life yes?

The inconsistencies of the "realism" of SAO really stands out.
Possible? Certainly. Considered worth bothering with in a game centered around sword fighting? That's another question.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 17:33   Link #65
Clarste
Human

Also you'd need a small particle physics simulator that would allow for arbitrarily small cuts and powders and whatnot. Quite difficult compared to simply calculating (or even arbitrarily assigning: no need for perfect realism) an object's center of mass and applying a constant force to it.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 17:33   Link #66
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

^Also, if game cooking was exactly like real cooking, then the whole point of skill levels and the idea of a cooking skill would be entirely moot.

Quote:
I don't know what those three have to do with anything. We're talking girls he is close to.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 17:34   Link #67
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Well...Asuna doesn't know about the adventures he had with them, so she assumes he just spent his time doing MMO-related stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Considering his interest in Kirito's sister (little sister at that), he'd better not be that old. Even if he overestimates Kirito's age a bit.
Yeah, Klein is probably in his twenties.

Now, Kuradeel......he's definitely over 30
Old 2012-08-25, 17:37   Link #68
HandofFate

Finally the start of the main story. Nice fun Kirito x Asuna interaction.

Most surprising eyecandy was how they animated Kirito's and Asuna's battle moves, I know they have actual attack names in the LN, so its nice seeing the animation that's suppose to match those special attacks.

The Cooking Animation was cool. Fits in with the whole crafting job type stuff in MMOs. Just click.

Its interesting how the author wrote this whole thing wayy before MMOs became such a big thing, and the game features a lot of aspects that's pretty much taken for granted in mmogames nowadays.

Hopefully we can see more actual fighting now.
Old 2012-08-25, 17:37   Link #69
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

You know something else has occurred to me.

It's nothing major. Just the fact that two years have passed. That means their real bodies must've aged two years as well. The bodies they use in the game are obviously based on the information gotten when they first logged in. When they finally beat the game, these people might look in the mirror and hardly recognize themselves.
Old 2012-08-25, 17:40   Link #70
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Well...Asuna doesn't know about the adventures he had with them, so she assumes he just spent his time doing MMO-related stuff

Yeah, Klein is probably in his twenties.

Now, Kuradeel......he's definitely over 30
He's in high school. It's terrible what certain activities associated with stalking girls will do to a man.

(the above is a joke, not a spoiler.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 17:40   Link #71
Clarste
Human

Quote:

It's nothing major. Just the fact that two years have passed. That means their real bodies must've aged two years as well. The bodies they use in the game are obviously based on the information gotten when they first logged in. When they finally beat the game, these people might look in the mirror and hardly recognize themselves.
Well, assuming that they're being fed with IV drips, they're probably as thin as skeletons and their muscles have atrophied to the point where they can't even walk. So while it's true they wouldn't recognize themselves, it's not because of their age. I don't think the body would grow much in a situation like that anyway.
Old 2012-08-25, 17:45   Link #72
cyberdemon

Quote:

Considering that all of them are in the hospital, being fed by tubes, haven't gotten sunlight for 2 years, and their muscles have likely been deteriorated from being in a bed for so long. They will look in a mirror and see a really skinny pasty person looking back at them.

The body isnt hetting the proper nutrients to grow. Just enough to survive. They aren't likely to have changed developmentally.
Old 2012-08-25, 17:48   Link #73
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
I don't know what those three have to do with anything. We're talking girls he is close to.
You and I must just have different definitions of what being "close" to someone means then. I don't know what you think it is, but it doesn't have to be a romantic relationship to me.

Quote:
The first two sure, but Asuna was friends with Lizbeth before she even met Kirito. So I have my doubts on that account.

Quote:
Possible? Certainly. Considered worth bothering with in a game centered around sword fighting? That's another question.
Well by that logic they may as well remove everything NOT pertaining to swordfighting from the game right? If it's not necessary it isn't needed right? Just like simulated weight from armor and weapons isn't needed?
Old 2012-08-25, 17:52   Link #74
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
You and I must just have different definitions of what being "close" to someone means then. I don't know what you think it is, but it doesn't have to be a romantic relationship to me.
So apparently spending one day adventuring with someone and then saying kthxbye qualifies as being "close"?

Just so you know, I pride myself in not being the kind of idiot who assumes a guy and a girl interacting means love.
Old 2012-08-25, 17:57   Link #75
Clarste
Human

Indeed, there's no evidence that he ever met Silica again. They didn't talk about adding each other to their friends list either.

He definitely was close to Sachi, but, uh, not anymore. Because she's dead. Asuna wouldn't know about that, and of course Kirito wouldn't take the opportunity to suddenly talk about the dead girl he failed to save.
Old 2012-08-25, 17:57   Link #76
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
It's true Asuna doesn't know about that, but she isn't exactly wrong. Think about it. Kirito has met quite a few girls besides Asuna, yes, but did he get close to any of them? No. Except for Sachi, he only hung out with the them for a little while. And even Sachi was more like a oversized little sister to him than a "girl" in the normal sense, someone to protect and take care of rather than an "equal" he could see as a woman. Besides she's dead now...
Old 2012-08-25, 18:01   Link #77
Deltaray

As I saw someone discussing Klein and Kuradeel's ages, they are 24 and 26 at this episode.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 18:03   Link #78
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
My take on this episode is very similar to Guardian Enzo's.

This episode did a great job of putting the main premise of the show back into focus. I also felt that this episode, perhaps more than any other so far, made it clear why some people might prefer to just keep living in SAO and forgetting the real world. The various towns and locations (that were showcased in this episode) have some nice variety between them, and one in particular was truly enchanting. And Asuna's home certainly looks extremely comfortable and cozy.

On the other hand, this episode honestly felt like it had the Asuna/Kirito relationship take a step back. Part of that is what Guardian Enzo mentioned about the silly accidental breast-groping-followed-by-beat-down scene. But beyond that, I find it really odd that a few episodes ago Asuna was hitting on Kirito rather suggestively while showing fondness for how marriage works in SAO, while in this episode she talks about how annoyed she is at the marriage proposals she's received (and she says it with the implication of "Now, Kirito, don't you go proposing to me too!").

That's kind of an odd and drastic shift.

Put another way, if this was the start of Kirito growing a real relationship with Asuna it would work fine, but technically the two have already developed a decent relationship with one another. It's like their relationship development is chronologically out of order - They honestly struck me as tighter in the mystery two-parter than they do in this episode.

But issues with characterization and character relationship dynamics aside, this episode felt to me like SAO was finally starting to live up to its excellent premise again. This episode captured a certain gravitas that many of the previous episodes lacked - Some of it was the direction, some of it was the BGM, and some of it was the frequent and slightly ominous references to Akihiko Kayaba.

Basically, this episode felt much closer to the action-adventure fantasy with sci-fi edges that I had expected of this anime when I first came into it. The action scenes were exquisite, and beautifully choreographed. They also felt appropriately intense.

Now, if only Kirito and Asuna's relationship can regain more of the charm it had in the mystery two-parter, then we'd have the best of all worlds.
Old 2012-08-25, 18:04   Link #79
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
So apparently spending one day adventuring with someone and then saying kthxbye qualifies as being "close"?
Absolutely. You're underestimating the ability for people to form bonds with one another. All you really need is a single day to learn about the other person and you could end up being friends for life.

Silica and Kirito spent like....2 days with one another? And by the end of it, they developed a sort of pseudo-sibling relationship. I would call that "close".

Quote:
Just so you know, I pride myself in not being the kind of idiot who assumes a guy and a girl interacting means love.
Good. That makes two of us.~
Old 2012-08-25, 18:06   Link #80
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

^Fair enough. Although I don't completely agree, I understand that you see it that way. To me though, it just makes them friends, not "close" friends. To become "close friends" requires a lot of time of learning more about eachother to understand eachother better and to grow a bigger attachment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But beyond that, I find it really odd that a few episodes ago Asuna was hitting on Kirito rather suggestively while showing fondness for how marriage works in SAO, while in this episode she talks about how annoyed she is at the marriage proposals she's received (and she says it with the implication of "Now, Kirito, don't you go proposing to me too!").
I won't argue the "feel" that you might get from it. But it was my impression that she was teasing Kirito with the whole marriage proposal thing. The way he then reacted to her tease prompted her "You're not really close to any girls, are you?".

At least that's what I gathered from it.

Tags
end card, weekly spoiler discussion