AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2016-07-03, 18:40   Link #2261
DemonneoPT

Episode 14:

I agree with some people here about the rushed pace in the last two episodes. Characters come and go so quickly it looks like something is missing and we have no time to actually relate to these characters. I try not bother too much about it because i'm sure the studio is rushing now to not mess up with the upcoming climax scenes. If time is short, that is the best course of action in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihai View Post
Subaru seriously needs some anger management or something. He's always on edge for no good reason.
He is frustrated! Ok, he messed up things but he just wanted to help and do something useful. We are talking about a guy whose greatest achievement in life was probably getting high elo in videogames...lol. But now, he was able to go to an alien planet with a medieval fantasy setting and being part of something actually important and saving people. It's like a dream come true, yet no one acknowledges him with the guy being regarded as just some pathetic weakling. Again, Subaru is also to blame here but let's give him some slack because his own world took an 180 turn with him also experiencing death and suffering several times already and nobody knows how heroic and brave he can be (no, not even Rem.. she just saw a glimpse of what he has done). That's frustrating as hell and it's obvious his mental state is not the best right now. Subaru is also just 18 yo (or less?) too, so making mistakes and letting his emotions explode in tough situations should not be a surprise.
I like to see a MC also having flaws! Kudos for the author to not be affraid to follow the extreme route even tho a lot of people will not like it. Rem made some of those mistakes too but for some reason almost no one cares when it's her. Waifu power too OP

It's also funny that Subaru's obsession towards Emilia's safety was actually legit. It's like @moridin84 said, when he does listen to everyone and doesn't travel back to the mansion, shit happens
Subaru is indeed the only one that can do something about this situations so no wonder he is suffering from this hero complex mentality. He just tends to forget his physical and magical power is underwhelming tho..lol. We are talking about a guy that is willing to kill himself to save a person that killed him before because he saw some good on her. I mean, it makes sense to me and i really think Subaru's character is really well done even tho sometimes the cringe can get real. But the background for his actions are all there liking it or not.
Old 2016-07-03, 19:33   Link #2262
Irenesharda

Oh Subaru, you do have some issues don't you...and until you can work through them, you'll never be able to truly help Emilia.

You want to help her, but you are unknowingly doing it in a selfish way. Only you can help her, only you can save her, only you can be the hero, and everyone else is the enemy.

The thing is, in every arc, Subaru is only truly useful once he's gone through the loop a few times and thus is able to know information that others don't and thus he learns how to best deal with a situation. Other than that, he's really like a baby just getting to experience the world. He wants to act like he knows best, and arrogantly thinks he does, but in reality, he's really a foreigner in a new land.

And thing is, when someone actually challenges that, he becomes incredibly defensive, really as a matter of pride more than reason. He has a hero complex. The idea that she is hopeless without you? Everything is about you. Come on Subaru, that's ego and damaged pride talking, not the selfless ideal of an actual hero.

And now we have the witch cult that massacred a village and supposedly killed Rem, but interestingly bowed to Subaru, probably because of the witch's scent upon him.

I think it might be time for a reset, and this time Subaru, learn from this!

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2016-07-03, 19:36   Link #2263
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
Episode 14:

I agree with some people here about the rushed pace in the last two episodes. Characters come and go so quickly it looks like something is missing and we have no time to actually relate to these characters. I try not bother too much about it because i'm sure the studio is rushing now to not mess up with the upcoming climax scenes. If time is short, that is the best course of action in my opinion.

He is frustrated! Ok, he messed up things but he just wanted to help and do something useful. We are talking about a guy whose greatest achievement in life was probably getting high elo in videogames...lol. But now, he was able to go to an alien planet with a medieval fantasy setting and being part of something actually important and saving people. It's like a dream come true, yet no one acknowledges him with the guy being regarded as just some pathetic weakling. Again, Subaru is also to blame here but let's give him some slack because his own world took an 180 turn with him also experiencing death and suffering several times already and nobody knows how heroic and brave he can be (no, not even Rem.. she just saw a glimpse of what he has done). That's frustrating as hell and it's obvious his mental state is not the best right now. Subaru is also just 18 yo (or less?) too, so making mistakes and letting his emotions explode in tough situations should not be a surprise.
I like to see a MC also having flaws! Kudos for the author to not be affraid to follow the extreme route even tho a lot of people will not like it. Rem made some of those mistakes too but for some reason almost no one cares when it's her. Waifu power too OP

It's also funny that Subaru's obsession towards Emilia's safety was actually legit. It's like @moridin84 said, when he does listen to everyone and doesn't travel back to the mansion, shit happens
Subaru is indeed the only one that can do something about this situations so no wonder he is suffering from this hero complex mentality. He just tends to forget his physical and magical power is underwhelming tho..lol. We are talking about a guy that is willing to kill himself to save a person that killed him before because he saw some good on her. I mean, it makes sense to me and i really think Subaru's character is really well done even tho sometimes the cringe can get real. But the background for his actions are all there liking it or not.
I knew adapting arc 3 would be problematic; it's way too friggin big. There is going to be a rush of sorts.
Constant use will make it dull and weaken; it's user lacking purpose and aim. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with a mighty fire; a fierce blade, to cleave the one who beckoned their vengeance
Old 2016-07-03, 19:47   Link #2264
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Yep, Subaru is losing his marbles. The mental damage he experienced is twisting him all up and totally screwing his way of thinking. What's worse is the damn curse on his ability is really making it worse and cutting off his only source rehabilitation.

Not only has his big ego been shattered now he's starting to get paranoid about everyone around him. Literally, everything he has worked up to this point has also been completely taken or lost to him. I'm pretty sure his going to turn into a vegetable next episode and things will end up even worse for him during the next reset. The guy just can't get a break even when he's not dying all the time.

I'm starting to wonder if this is how the witch or cult recruit new members. They give people the witches curse or ability to reset, but to only shatter their minds with it.

I am rather puzzled by how the witches creations interact with Subaru. The guys in the hoods actually paid respects to him but the magical beast in the forest were all hostile toward him. Ugh, it bad enough they all psychotic killers, but to think the mastermind little girl of the last arc was in league with the cult is just despairing.
Old 2016-07-03, 19:56   Link #2265
ayyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Too bad for the sake of Rem and the rest of the villagers, we sort of need him to die.

The new OP was fine and the ED is defiently taking on a different tone than the previous one.
The song at the end of this episode isn't the new ED, the song at the end from the previous episode was
Old 2016-07-03, 20:09   Link #2266
mergele

To all the people discussing Subaru's actions: Just remember this is the guy who mindlessly waved his arms around and shouted "Now my magic will appear!" while a kid was about to get run over by a carriage.
Old 2016-07-03, 21:37   Link #2267
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergele View Post
To all the people discussing Subaru's actions: Just remember this is the guy who mindlessly waved his arms around and shouted "Now my magic will appear!" while a kid was about to get run over by a carriage.
That was back when he thought this would play out exactly like one of his video games or "transported into another world" stories. Now that he knows how things work a bit more, that isn't a valid excuse.
Old 2016-07-03, 21:42   Link #2268
BoyTitan

I mean Subaru is just all around pathetic and irredeemable as a character at this point he lacks even the most basic of common sense.

That ost at the end is great can't wait for the soundtrack of this series to come out for it.
Old 2016-07-03, 21:45   Link #2269
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

Rem

Please, don't stay dead

I hope our MC dies soon ^_^
Old 2016-07-03, 21:55   Link #2270
choopo

Bad end . . .

so it's true that Rem was quintet
Spoiler for Her missing sisters:

same va same studio
Old 2016-07-03, 22:19   Link #2271
Applehell

Quote:
He dropped that attitude a long time ago. The problem is that his recent success have given him a hero complex and he's using it as means to cope with his numerous deaths. IMO it looks he's fightning against his innermost fears that he truly is powerless to do anything which is why he's at phase of shutting everything out. To him everyone is denying his own efforts, self worth and leaving him behind no matter how much he struggles or sacrifices. The end of this episode is probably at most telling about his state of minf before reality hits.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-07-03 at 22:46.
Old 2016-07-03, 22:33   Link #2272
Ringil

Quote:
Good contextual support that underlying all this he started as a pretty terrible person.
Old 2016-07-03, 22:41   Link #2273
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringil View Post
Good contextual support that underlying all this he started as a pretty terrible person.
Being an idiot and being a terrible person are two different things. Subaru meant well with his actions there.... he's just a dumbass.
Old 2016-07-03, 22:48   Link #2274
mergele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
Being an idiot and being a terrible person are two different things. Subaru meant well with his actions there.... he's just a dumbass.
Thanks, that was I originally meant to say. Don't expect him to act in a calm, collected, professional or even remotely common sense way. He never gave us any reason to believe he is capable of doing so.
Old 2016-07-03, 22:53   Link #2275
Applehell

Quote:
Thanks, that was I originally meant to say. Don't expect him to act in a calm, collected, professional or even remotely common sense way. He never gave us any reason to believe he is capable of doing so.
Except the 1st and 2nd arcs disagree with you. It's pretty clear that he's acting this way because that how he's dealt conflicts up to now; by putting the burden on himself. Now it's eatting at him.
Old 2016-07-03, 22:54   Link #2276
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
He dropped that attitude a long time ago. The problem is that his recent success have given him a hero complex and he's using it as means to cope with his numerous deaths. IMO it looks he's fightning against his innermost fears that he truly is powerless to do anything which is why he's at phase of shutting everything out. To him everyone is denying his own efforts, self worth and leaving him behind no matter how much he struggles or sacrifices. The end of this episode is probably at most telling about his state of minf before reality hits.
Well, most people don't know what he's done for him. His curse is preventing it.

Rem and that village got a very bad ending. That almost topped the first arc's bad endings.
Old 2016-07-03, 23:02   Link #2277
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Well, most people don't know what he's done for him. His curse is preventing it.

Rem and that village got a very bad ending. That almost topped the first arc's bad endings.
Yep, and it's cornering him in a bad way.

And what just happened at the village isn't helping. He's essentially watching his life be destroyed in front his eyes.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-07-03 at 23:16.
Old 2016-07-03, 23:05   Link #2278
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Re:Zero Episode 14 leaves me feeling much better about this show, and about Subaru in particular, than I ever did before. I know that probably sounds very strange given what happens in Episode 14, so let me explain.

Up until the two most recent episodes, I felt that the plot was designed to validate and reaffirm Subaru no matter what. That it was a pretty standard "Traveling to an Alternate World" anime show, just with a couple neat twists and a cast that's largely a cut or two above the norm. But now I'm getting the distinct impression that the Re:Zero author might - just might - be aiming for something much bolder and more memorable than that (please note I'm writing this as an anime-only viewer here).

To fully explain what I mean here would probably require a heavy-duty tl;dr post, so let me make one very simple analogy that captures it in a nice nutshell - I now get the sense that Re:Zero might be to "Traveling to an Alternate World" stories what Madoka Magica is to mahou shoujo.

For those who have watched all of the Madoka Magica TV series (and/or its first two movies), really think about what I'm saying here. Does it make you giddy? It certainly makes me giddy!

At a meta-level, Subaru may well be Akemi Homura and Sayaka Miki rolled into one.

If Re:Zero is a deconstruction of "Traveling to an Alternate World" stories... that would be so good, as there's no anime (sub)genre more richly deserving of this. I am going to thoroughly enjoy every minute of this if Re:Zero decides to take the piss out of the "Traveling to an Alternate World" anime subgenre.

Please do it, Re:Zero author. Tear Subaru down. Put him through hell. Have him really truly learn some valuable life lessons. Let him realize the idiocy in the worst of his troperrific otaku-isms. And then build him back up again, to something reflecting the kind of impact that traveling to an alternate world really should have on a person who manages to soldier through.

If Re:Zero does this, it may actually become my nominee for 2016 TV anime of the year, and Subaru may amazingly become my nominee for 2016 male character of the year. If Re:Zero doesn't do this... ah well, at least it managed to really excite me for awhile!
Old 2016-07-03, 23:13   Link #2279
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Except the 1st and 2nd arcs disagree with you. It's pretty clear that he's acting this way because that how he's dealt conflicts up to now; by putting the burden on himself. Now it's eatting at him.
1st and 2nd arcs, Subaru was a different person, and dispite the fact that he still has Rem, Emilia is gone and his source of coping is gone, rationality has gone out the window and he's only focusing on himself and what he can do. In the previous arc, he only succeeded thanks to gathering allies to help him solve the problem, now he's tunneling on himself because his ability to cope is gone.

What he
should have done was attempt to find allies to help him, which is what he did in the previous 2 arcs.
Old 2016-07-04, 00:50   Link #2280
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Subaru should just use his pocket aces: Reinhard and Julius.

Both are essentially Lv. 99 knights with 1-hit insta ko moves.
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, fantasy