AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2020-06-15, 23:31   Link #221
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Went through this pretty quick since there's not a whole lot of material here. And if I knew any better, instead of skimming I would have just watched ep 1 and ep 11 because there's not much progress since.

The only reason why Haru is included in this show most likely because she's endgame. She doesn't have much relevance up to this point and she has little screen time as well as background. From the story she's just a random girl who ran into Rikuo and fell for him. There was some awkward built up like the "war declaration" that went nowhere and the movie date that never happened then went nowhere then some guy who liked her got Rikuo curious but also went nowhere. So I'm not sure what's the point if not for endgame. Then again, it can just be random story telling. (The story ain't great.)

Rikuo is not into cute girls (like Haru). He likes mature beautiful lady with nice bod and can cook like Shinako (but the Shinako girl has fear of intimacy and relationship.) According to her standards, he's a loser. (I imagine if not, he wouldn't hang around waiting for her to drop hints on the ground then ran right back.) She keeps him around because she needs a guy who can change the light bulb, or carry some heavy stuff or just someone to be there for her since the aggressive types she likes aren't chasing her. (And I wonder why.) She doesn't love the guy but she's deciding and debating on it while cooking for him to rid of the guilt. And that is good enough for Rikuo. He seems to be heaven so he should continue to roll with it.

I think in five years, she may allow the guy to hold her hand then in another 10 years, she may allow him to kiss her lips. And who knows, 20 years after that, she will eventually agree to marry him. He's in his early 20s now. He'll be married by late 50s. Before he leaves the world, he may be able to get intimate with her. Then he can scream in happiness "I finally can have her" (like this drama I watched back in the early 90s.) It's not exactly memorable romance or anything.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-15, 23:58   Link #222
Marcus H.
All-Terrain Panda

I knew there's a landmine ahead and it still hurt when I watched the whole episode.

Even more painful is the fact that there's only ONE EPISODE LEFT.
How will this series conclude well?

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 36. Completed: 385. Plan to watch: 40.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-16, 00:52   Link #223
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
almost the same goes to rikuo, because he also don't told to haru and keep hidden and also keep "his status quo" with her (haru), while he is trying to improve with shinako he still "not pushing enought" and still accepting they crap relationship moving in slug steps(even turtle could be more fast), this is why i told which both of then have basically the "same issue", both of then are too passive/insecure/ and doing little to nothing to really "move foward", ofcourse he is trying a little more than her but he also still "hurting haru" by doing what he did and it "bit" him in the right time in same way it ended biting shinako, basically both passed for the same issue the only differenrce was the reaction of the "others sides" while haru was more like "giving up and less or more accepting her loss", rou was just acting like she cheated on him or something like that and alread goes "rage" and again his "way of already planing "everything" without talk to shinako already was bad enough to do.

That is why at this point i really feel like rikuo and shinako really are perfect for each other because they are more or less following the "same way of act" ofcourse it in reallity is really bad for they relationship because going "too slow" in many times can be worst than "not moving" and things are going too bad for then at this point if rikuo not take that chance to really step in and make his relationship with shinako to really move.

Rikuo is not trying to hold on to the status quo with Haru. He's tried everything short of flat-out telling her to leave him alone (or a restraining order). The problem is she's too obsessed with him to take any hint no matter how broad, and by now he should have realized that and resorted to the directness that's so out of character for him.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-16, 09:55   Link #224
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Rikuo is not trying to hold on to the status quo with Haru. He's tried everything short of flat-out telling her to leave him alone (or a restraining order). The problem is she's too obsessed with him to take any hint no matter how broad, and by now he should have realized that and resorted to the directness that's so out of character for him.
well the fact which he "sleep" in her home instead of calling her parents and which he still allowed her to see him and "hidden" from her which he was dating shinako, show clear which he is really not "doing reall efforts" to make her stop coming from him, because he get used to it, because she is giving to him the "attention" who he wants and which shinako is not doing, as i told while he sometimes told her to "stop" but later dismiss and say wich she can keep "coming" making hard for anyone to believe in his words when he say's which he don't want her, as you told he never really flat out told haru to stop and which he already love only shinako and she must give up and go for someone elese, he let her enter in his life and never really tried hard to deny her actions toward him.

then come the famous "he is too kind" to break her heart, but by doing so he is also "breaking it" by giving false hope and we saw the resulsts of his cowardice toward not saying to her which he already dating shinako.
Old 2020-06-17, 13:12   Link #225
Cosmic Eagle
花の魔術師

This needs a second season.....like, seriously
Old 2020-06-20, 10:43   Link #226
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
But he needs to be upfront with what is happening. Haru likes him and told him so and also to cut her some slack because she likes him. Haru is really the only one who is upfront with her feelings. Riku, perhaps sensing that Shinako is a dead-end relationship, keeps Haru around in case things go south with Shinako. Really, what guy is going to continue looking like the "other guy"? Riku needed to give Shinako an ultimatum about cutting ties with Rou or he's cutting ties with her.
Old 2020-06-20, 13:41   Link #227
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

So...was that a closed ending or an open ending? Like, I could tell there was a lot of unresolved stuff but I can't tell whether that's because content was cut or because its still only apparently halfway through the manga. One thing I really need to mention is that Chikahiro Kobayashi is one hell of a voice actor. He was excellent in Golden Kamuy and Beastars so this only adds to his repertoire but I was just so drawn in by the emotion in Rikuo all throughout this episode that I felt it was worth mentioning.

Last edited by Haak; 2020-06-20 at 15:53. Reason: Typo
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 15:30   Link #228
EroKing
Version Zero

Honestly, that was the best ending I could think of with just one episode remaining. Rikuo saying him not having the brains to deeply think about love and just wanting a woman to be nice to him forever was downright the most honest and down-to-earth thing I have heard in an anime since God knows when. However, Haru's reactions at the end, those cute motherfucking reactions were something I absolutely enjoyed. 9/10 for the show.
Old 2020-06-20, 16:16   Link #229
Frontier

Jeez Shinako, you really don't handle confrontations well. I guess her major resistance to telling Rou and how she immediately scrambled after him said everything that needed to be said about Shinako's priorities between Rikuo and Rou .

Like Haru, Rou knew in some respect he was fighting a losing battle, but it still hurts to see it thrown in his face like that and that Shinako couldn't even be honest with him about it. I don't like the kid, but he still deserved better .

I'm glad Rikuo and Shinako were able to end things amicably. Their relationship wasn't progressing and the two finally realized that, for all their focus on each other for the past several months, the romance just isn't there, and Rikuo doesn't quite love Shinako like he used to and he wasted time still trying to be with her. They were never even fully comfortable with the relationship out of guilt for their other love interests. At least now they can hopefully finally be just friends without any of the baggage that got in the way before .

There's just something raw and genuine about Rikuo's contradictory and selfish realization about his own love as he finally goes after Haru. He just simply likes women who are nice to him, just like Shinako likes men she can take care of, and as much as Shinako was nice to him, it was Haru who was always the one who was just focused on and affectionate towards him. Maybe it's not the grandest reason for falling in love, and Rikuo is still stumbling and all over the place with his feelings, but it was a love that was enough to finally validate and make Haru happy. And if it's a love that can make Haru smile like that, then I think it's one that's completely worthwhile .

I love how there was all this pussyfooting and resistance from Shinako towards kissing Rikuo, and then the moment Rikuo confesses Haru drags him into a kiss in broad daylight. Haru doesn't waste time .

Was that character with the bob haircut and red jacket supposed to be Takashita's girlfriend? They immediately blushed and tried to change the subject when the subject of his girlfriend came up. I wasn't quite sure if they were a boy or a girl, it kind of sounded like it was a female seiyuu using a boyish voice .

Shinako coming to Rou's place only for a girl to show up at the front door like with Yuzuhara (complete with same reaction face). I can't help but feel like there is some justice in that .

Kyouko's getting married! I thought I saw Izawa walking by Rikuo towards Milk Hall. I'm guessing he was going there to propose .

I would've loved an OVA or an extra five minutes showing Rikuo and Haru on a date and being all lovey-dovey (especially on Haru's end) but I thought this was still a pretty satisfactory conclusion .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
So...was that a closed ending or an open ending? Like, I could tell there was a lot of unresolved stuff but I can't tell whether that's because content was cut or because its still only apparently halfway through the manga. One thing I really need to mention is that Chikahiro Kobayashi is one hell of a voice actor. He was excellent in Golden Kamuy and Beastars so this only adds to his repertoire but I was just so drawn in by the emotion in Rikuo all throughout this episode that I felt it was worth mentioning.
To be honest, the only thing I felt was left unaddressed was Haru's background.
Old 2020-06-20, 18:05   Link #230
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So did Shinako end up alone? Is she now looking at Rou differently after her confession about him on the bench with Rikuo? Or maybe off to be a high-school home-room teacher and the target for Christmas-cake jokes among the boys in her class. Shinako has the makings of spinsterhood.

I'm happy with the Haru X Rikuo pairing. This afternoon, before I watched this episode, I thought about why I like Haru. I decided it was because I've always liked girls that put themselves forward. Sometimes it's been to my short-term detriment because I could get swept up in a moment, but in general I like strong and feisty women. That preference was the reason I never saw Haru as a stalker, but as a confused and self-centered girl who lacked good boundaries. On the other hand I admired her forwardness; I don't know if i could have been happy with someone more withdrawn like Shinako.

Like Rikuo said, he and Shinako were too alike to be successful. That's certainly not a problem when it comes to Haru.

Overall, a very well-written and well-directed show with a decently conclusive ending. I'm giving it a 9.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 18:11   Link #231
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Good job Kansuke the crow
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 18:37   Link #232
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Good job Kansuke the crow

After this episode I'm inclined to think he's the smartest character in the show.

I don't think I've seen a show so full of anti-ships, and I love it.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 18:37   Link #233
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The ending was a lot better than I expected. I haven't read the manga, but I'm glad the anime apparently cut to the chase fairly quickly instead of making us suffer through more episodes of Rikuo and Haru being wishy-washy and getting nowhere. Rikuo confessing his love to Haru felt abrupt, but his reasoning made sense. The kind of girl he was looking for had been right under his nose for years, but he was too busy being stuck in the past to notice.

I loved how as soon as Rikuo confessed, he got a kiss from Haru. What a difference
Really happy Haru's efforts were rewarded. Feels good when the best girl wins.
Old 2020-06-20, 19:24   Link #234
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I have long stood on the ground that it's not appropriate to compare an anime adaptation against its source manga or novel. They are different things and we should always judge the anime on its own merit. That said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
So...was that a closed ending or an open ending? Like, I could tell there was a lot of unresolved stuff but I can't tell whether that's because content was cut or because its still only apparently halfway through the manga.
Episode 12 was almost completely anime-original, incorporating key scenes from the manga, but connecting the dots together with different strings.

And, the anime ended on a far more hopeful note than the manga, and it's also much more conclusive.

The feeling you have about there being a lot of "unresolved stuff"? Well, I think that's the intention in both the anime and the manga. The underlying message is that real life seldom resolves itself properly. It only does so in fiction.

(And from what little I've seen of mangaka Kei Toume's stories, I'd say she has a penchant for open-ended stories that don't conclude properly.)

For what it's worth, I felt Episode 12 concluded the series pretty well. I was afraid it was going to be a rushed ending, but it made a lot of sense, the way it ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Was that character with the bob haircut and red jacket supposed to be Takashita's girlfriend?
Yes. She's a side character from the manga with a fairly interesting story, and her relationship with Takashita was meant to be an exploration of one aspect of the relationship between the main couples of the story at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
To be honest, the only thing I felt was left unaddressed was Haru's background.
And to be honest, what you see is what you get with Haru.

She's the manic pixie dream girl who suddenly and mysteriously appeared in Rikuo's life, and changed him for the better, because he would otherwise have been too hopeless to take care of himself.

Haru's characterisation is in itself a trope from a bygone era, as you'd expect from a story that began in the late 1990s. Nowadays, you'd get stories about tsundere women instead.

While the tsundere is not by itself a new idea (Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion is a classic tsundere, for example), I kind of feel that in her contemporary form, the tsundere girl is the latest incarnation of the manic pixie dream girl of yore.

Yes, there are parts about Haru's background that never got adapted but, in my opinion, they don't matter. The anime stands well enough on its own, and it gets the key points across about who and what Haru is supposed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
So did Shinako end up alone? Is she now looking at Rou differently after her confession about him on the bench with Rikuo?
The anime strongly suggests that she managed to repair her relationship with Rou, given that the "extra" episode following Episode 12 shows photos of all four main characters hanging out together.

More importantly, the final "extra" also showed a photo of Haru having fun with Shinako, which is entirely in keeping with Haru's personality. Haru is not the type of person who holds grudges, and I've always enjoyed how she was able to stay friends with Shinako despite their supposed "rivalry".

And I've always found Haru to be an endearing character, despite her being somewhat unrealistic. I say "unrealistic" because I've never met nor heard of anyone like her in real life. There are far more stories about "manic pixie dream girls" who are actually hiding deeper issues than there are genuinely happy people who are completely like that in real life. I recognised the trope almost from the get-go, but Haru was such a lovable character that I didn't particularly mind. Like Kinoshita, Rikuo's ex-colleague at the combi store, said once before: Cute girls are allowed to get away with doing weird things.

From beginning to end, though, it's Shinako I feel most strongly sympathetic about. Because, despite being a man, I can strongly relate to her feelings of wanting to do the right thing, but not knowing what that should be. I think such feelings are universal, regardless of gender. And being a passive person myself, I can also strongly relate with her desire to let things go on as they are and hopefully resolve themselves on their own. Rikuo was also like that, so I could see a lot of my younger self in him as well.

As for whether Rou and Shinako are in a romantic relationship, I don't think so. At least I strongly hope not, because such a relationship would be troubling on so many levels. I think what happened was that Shinako finally accepted that she was in denial about how Rou had turned out, and because she never really did try to see him as his own person, she inadvertently allowed him to develop romantic feelings for her.

She has said multiple times that she does not see Rou as anything more than a little brother. But it never occurred to her that Rou would become his own man and fall in love with her. And even after that became clear, she couldn't process or properly acknowledge that development — a situation made worse by the fact that he increasingly reminds her of Yuu. She didn't know how to separate that pain from her desire to maintain her relationship with the Hayakawas, who are close family to her. And it's implied that she started dating Rikuo as a way to get away from this dilemma.

I hate Rou, both as a character and a person. Yes, I really do. He's still very much a selfish, self-entitled kid all the way to the end, someone who is totally presumptuous about what's best for Shinako. It's deeply hypocritical for him to claim that he wants Shinako to be happy when, in fact, what he really wants is for Shinako to be happy with him as her "man". This alone is one reason why I feel any kind of romantic relationship between the two of them would be deeply toxic and problematic. And that's way before we even consider the vaguely incestuous nature of any such relationship, which I would find even more troubling.

Given that the anime ended on a hopeful, happy note, I doubt that's the true ending the production team is reaching for.

But, yes, there is ambiguity. And that's intended, because it was left ambigious in the source material as well, so I think it's correct on the producers part to stay faithful in spirit with the original.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 20:40   Link #235
Wandering Soul

That ending was rushed, but still gave a satisfying conclusion. The confession came pretty quickly, but it was clear things were going down that route. Haru jumping to kiss him after the confession was sweet though.

Not really sure what happens to Rou and Shinako, but as the ending pretty much said "regardless of the past, life moves on".
Old 2020-06-20, 21:30   Link #236
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Yes. She's a side character from the manga with a fairly interesting story, and her relationship with Takashita was meant to be an exploration of one aspect of the relationship between the main couples of the story at the time.
Oh, interesting! I can see why they cut it down but it would've been cool to see that story (Takashita seems like a chill dude, so not surprised he managed to snag a girlfriend) .
Quote:
And to be honest, what you see is what you get with Haru.

She's the manic pixie dream girl who suddenly and mysteriously appeared in Rikuo's life, and changed him for the better, because he would otherwise have been too hopeless to take care of himself.

Haru's characterisation is in itself a trope from a bygone era, as you'd expect from a story that began in the late 1990s. Nowadays, you'd get stories about tsundere women instead.

While the tsundere is not by itself a new idea (Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion is a classic tsundere, for example), I kind of feel that in her contemporary form, the tsundere girl is the latest incarnation of the manic pixie dream girl of yore.

Yes, there are parts about Haru's background that never got adapted but, in my opinion, they don't matter. The anime stands well enough on its own, and it gets the key points across about who and what Haru is supposed to be.
I think Haru's archetype is still fairly common as far as the "zany, mysterious and fun girl who gets the repressed and emotionally passive male lead to open up" aspect goes .

(I don't think Haru would've been as popular as a tsundere).

We got a flashback to Haru with who I presume was her biological father that I was expecting them to follow up on, but I guess that wasn't necessary to the main story...
Old 2020-06-20, 21:54   Link #237
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 22:18   Link #238
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That ending reminds me of the final couple of seasons of Game of Thrones. We have the same scenario - an original ending tacked onto the end of a largely faithful story construction - and the same disconnect exists. The conclusion is not supported by the buildup - it just happens.

It's a shame, because Yesterday really was a beautiful production. But given how unlikely it was that this series would be funded in the first place, it's not surprising they went for a cliche, asspull ending.
Old 2020-06-20, 23:03   Link #239
Frontier

Quote:
That ending reminds me of the final couple of seasons of Game of Thrones. We have the same scenario - an original ending tacked onto the end of a largely faithful story construction - and the same disconnect exists. The conclusion is not supported by the buildup - it just happens.

It's a shame, because Yesterday really was a beautiful production. But given how unlikely it was that this series would be funded in the first place, it's not surprising they went for a cliche, asspull ending.
I feel like the execution and overall landing stuck far more then anything in the final season of GoT did. I didn't read the manga but nothing in this ending really contradicted the ending of the manga from what I have heard, just condensed some things.

I mean, the ending with Rikuo and Shinako definitely feels believable for how that relationship has been presented, even the stuff with Rou as agonizing as it is. Rikuo's attention shifting straight to Haru? Well, there were a few inclinations there but I do feel like they could have spent more time focusing on Rikuo and Haru's relationship if it was supposed to be the endgame. I'm not sure if there was more of that in the manga to where they could have drawn from instead of focusing on Shinako's doomed romances but it may have been preferable.
Old 2020-06-20, 23:25   Link #240
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It wasn't the part with Rikuo and Shinako that betrayed the spirit of the series for me - they never showed any indication that they could overcome their emotional constipation and make that work. But the whole thing with Rikuo and Haru - much less potentially Shinako and Rou - was completely manufactured BS. Nothing in the buildup supported that conclusion, and a neater-than-neat happy ending pretty much stands as a giant "never mind" for the first 11 episodes.