AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-03-29, 18:22   Link #6081
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaura117 View Post
Well, there's the alternative hypothesis mentioned in the book: not time travelers, but ancient civilizations.

Really, we need a frame shot of Haruhi's private library to even guess at what's really sneaking around in the background.
Wasn't the other hypothesis aliens?

Which don't exist because humans are the only corporeal beings capable of interstellar flight?

(However, I personally think the important thing is not where the rod is from, but what the rod does...)
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 18:23   Link #6082
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
@Kai But would the time quake be constant and therefore always there? Because technically speaking it would have always existed and simply not played out by the present is all.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 18:23   Link #6083
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Mmm, that works. 'Cept he's already in the maid outfit.
'Tis but the work of a minor edit then, hm? ~_^ Just have Mitsuru standing there, looking all depressed, with Haruki bullying him about how he needs to 'be a man about it.' Then Kyon steps in and, hey presto. I can re-write to that effect, if you like.

Last edited by Aebliss; 2008-03-29 at 18:27. Reason: completeness
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 18:24   Link #6084
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
@Kai But would the time quake be constant and therefore always there? Because technically speaking it would have always existed and simply not played out by the present is all.
Then the time travelers would never have noticed the difference, which they did.

Haruhi breaks causality and self-consistency. That's my point.
Old 2008-03-29, 18:24   Link #6085
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookOfMages View Post

Blegh here was my crack at them folks.

Kuyoh, Kyoko, and messed up Sasaki

Anyway, what's a slider? >_>
Somebody that travels between universes.

Also, there were three possibilities Kyon mentioned in the book: time traveler, ancient civilizations, and aliens.
kaura117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 18:25   Link #6086
Aebliss
Story Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookOfMages View Post
Anyway, what's a slider? >_>
Someone who travels between alternate realities. Wiki 'slider' and you'll probably be guided to a TV-show whose premise explains the term rather well.
Old 2008-03-29, 18:26   Link #6087
BookOfMages
PALM SIZED TIGER!?

Oh, thanks for the definition then.

Isn't Mitsuuru like half of one?
BookOfMages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 18:26   Link #6088
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Also, there were three possibilities Kyon mentioned in the book: time traveler, ancient civilizations, and aliens.
Ah. But since ancient civilizations have nothing to do with the books as of yet...

Also, there COULD be a fourth option. Maybe Orihime and Hikoboshi sent the rod to Earth for Kyon to find it hundreds of years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
Someone who travels between alternate realities. Wiki 'slider' and you'll probably be guided to a TV-show whose premise explains the term rather well.
Didn't that show INVENT that term?

The original Japanese term is "isakajin", I believe, which means something along the line of "parallel world people."

Thank god a.f.k. watched Sliders.
Old 2008-03-29, 18:26   Link #6089
Jintor

Quote:
It is understandable.

According to him, time is set up into "planes" (basically alternate universes) into which a traveler from another plane can "jump". Due to this, his presence has no effect on the "timeline" which really doesn't exist.

Get it now?
There! Thank you!
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 18:28   Link #6090
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:
Ah. But since ancient civilizations have nothing to do with the books as of yet...

Also, there COULD be a fourth option. Maybe Orihime and Hikoboshi sent the rod to Earth for Kyon to find it hundreds of years later.
Or, because the Integrated Data Entity does clearly have power over mundane objects, and because I seem to recall Yuki specifically saying that time travel is an option for her, aliens really did plant it there.

Edit: Actually, I'm not completely sure of that... does "Disappearance" count as time travel, or pocket universe generation?
Old 2008-03-29, 18:28   Link #6091
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
There! Thank you!
You're welcome.

Quote:
Or, because the Integrated Data Entity does clearly have power over mundane objects, and because I seem to recall Yuki specifically saying that time travel is an option for her, aliens really did plant it there.
Let's just wait for the novels to tell us...
Old 2008-03-29, 18:30   Link #6092
Aebliss
Story Master

Quote:

Didn't that show INVENT that term?

The original Japanese term is "isakajin", I believe, which means something along the line of "parallel world people."
*shrug* Maybe Haruhi will create it herself at some unspecified point in the future because there is a pressing need for it, and Kyon somehow manages to wrangle Asahina into sending it back to the time when it should be found.
The item could be a paradox, existing because it needs to - whatever its use may be - and existing in a specific stretch of time without actually having been made by anyone. Until the author writes more, we can just speculate until the cows come home, really ...
Old 2008-03-29, 18:32   Link #6093
Jintor

I'm just glad we got off the god-damned wangst.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 18:34   Link #6094
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:
*shrug* Maybe Haruhi will create it herself at some unspecified point in the future because there is a pressing need for it, and Kyon somehow manages to wrangle Asahina into sending it back to the time when it should be found.
The item could be a paradox, existing because it needs to - whatever its use may be - and existing in a specific stretch of time without actually having been made by anyone. Until the author writes more, we can just speculate until the cows come home, really ...
I'm half convinced that Tanigawa Nagaru's got the entire series plotted out in half a dozen thick notebooks. The other half thinks that he's some massively ingenious bullshit artist- one of the world's greatest.
Old 2008-03-29, 18:36   Link #6095
Aebliss
Story Master

I'm wondering right now whether anyone has addressed the question of how Haruki is going to sell the idea of joining a softball competition to Kyonko. She doesn't strike me as the overly athletic type ... Inviting her little brother makes more sense, of course -- I can just see Haruki being more approving of the little go-getter than Haruhi was of Kyon's little sis -- but Kyonko would probably be more recalcitrant.

On another note, how wrong is it that I see a strong resemblance between female Tanaguchi and 'Mako-chan', Makoto's female alter ego from Minami-ke? ^^;
Old 2008-03-29, 18:37   Link #6096
Aebliss
Story Master

Quote:
I'm half convinced that Tanigawa Nagaru's got the entire series plotted out in half a dozen thick notebooks. The other half thinks that he's some massively ingenious bullshit artist- one of the world's greatest.
Maybe it's a bit of both; a general plot outline d, with details and loose arcs done on the fly, as it were.
Old 2008-03-29, 18:40   Link #6097
Forceflow
Kyonko is not amused~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Forceflow
Quote:
Maybe it's a bit of both; a general plot outline d, with details and loose arcs done on the fly, as it were.
I tend to loads of pre-prep. Trying to do this sort of book on the fly is a recipe for disaster.

And try not to double post.
Forceflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 18:40   Link #6098
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Mako-chan rocks . I find Tanaguchi-ko extremely moe!

If Haruhi breaks all the rules; then we shouldn't be trying to figure this out with the mindset we would use if it was a normal situation.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 18:40   Link #6099
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:
I'm wondering right now whether anyone has addressed the question of how Haruki is going to sell the idea of joining a softball competition to Kyonko. She doesn't strike me as the overly athletic type ... Inviting her little brother makes more sense, of course -- I can just see Haruki being more approving of the little go-getter than Haruhi was of Kyon's little sis -- but Kyonko would probably be more recalcitrant.

On another note, how wrong is it that I see a strong resemblance between female Tanaguchi and 'Mako-chan', Makoto's female alter ego from Minami-ke? ^^;
Kyonko probably does do some exercise as a general attempt to look good. And, really, do you see Haruki giving her any other options? >_>
Old 2008-03-29, 18:43   Link #6100
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:

As for the baseball thing, I was thinking of making it an arcade tournament instead...

And yes, it's WRONG!

Quote:
Yeah, probably.

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan