AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-03-20, 20:17   Link #1301
Dop
Mmmm....

There was the thing where after waking from the coma, for a while his inner voice was the child's voice, where in the sequences in the past his inner voice had been the adult voice, so that was a nice reversal and suggested that while in the coma he'd been stuck in the old state.

So he was in a mixed up state at the start, but slowly worked back to his adult state as the adult inner voice came back, together with his memories.

Talking of realism, I did like the way that they showed Sachiko exercising his limbs, and using an electric muscle stimulation device, to try and limit damage from muscle wastage and tendon shrinkage, both of which are serious problems. Without all the work she put in, Satoru would probably have never been able to walk again.

Seriously, if there's an award for "Best Anime Mother", she's a shoo-in!

I had Guillain Barre Syndrome once and in one month I lost about 25 kilos through muscle wastage so I appreciate that's a problem. Learning to walk again between the parallel bars hurt like hell, so the scenes with Satoru learning to walk again were almost uncomfortable to watch because they reminded me of a painful time in my life. Almost, because I could appreciate the accuracy there.

Made a worthy change from all those anime where someone comes out of a coma and leaps out of bed like nothing happened.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-20, 20:26   Link #1302
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
He was in a kid's body and he had a kid's mind.
No, he had his adult mind trapped in a kid's body. Never saw any indication otherwise. His inner monologues are proof of that. Satoru just sucked at playing detective and handling his emotions. Remember that he was that guy who looked like he was totally uninterested about his surroundings (that voice and attitude..lol) and was suddenly forced to care about something.
However, Satoru never showed any romantic interest for Kayo. His only purpose was to save a human life, not only from the killer but also from her abusive mother. Just because a guy saves a girl, that does not mean he has to automatically fall in love with her, especially if the girl in question is just a little kid.

Seeing Kayo's happy new experiences when she only had darkness and abusive treatment until then, was the human drama the author decided to focus on. The anime's director even said, in the video posted before, that he wanted to show his viewers how cute Kayo was. It was never about romance. Only shippers could think something so shallow about said situation. The moments Kayo and Satoru had between them and used as excuse to call it "romance" were just comic reliefs at best. Blushing does not mean he loves her. You guys never blushed in front of a girl when something awkward happens? You do not need to like said girl to experience that. Well, Satoru had to pretend he was Kayo's boyfriend to stay close to her and since he had little to no experience in handling girls i can only imagine how embarrassing that situation must have been..lol. As soon as he saved her, not even once we saw him remembering Kayo or hinting he had a broken heart by being separated from her.

Plus, just because Satoru's mother said Airi would be a nice woman for him and her being saved by Satoru from the fire, does not means he automatically started to love her too..LOL. I guess a shipper will see romantic interests everywhere as long as there are two characters they like involved. It's in their liberty to do so but still... i think it's pushing the bar a little to much in these situations in particular... but each to their own, I guess.

Last edited by DemonneoPT; 2016-03-20 at 21:45. Reason: Airi, not Aya xD
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-20, 21:11   Link #1303
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenu View Post
What if... Yashiro x Airi in new time line.
Wouldn't she be too old for him? That guy is into 10 year olds.
Old 2016-03-21, 00:00   Link #1304
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
No, he had his adult mind trapped in a kid's body. Never saw any indication otherwise. His inner monologues are proof of that. Satoru just sucked at playing detective and handling his emotions. Remember that he was that guy who looked like he was totally uninterested about his surroundings (that voice and attitude..lol) and was suddenly forced to care about something.
However, Satoru never showed any romantic interest for Kayo. His only purpose was to save a human life, not only from the killer but also from her abusive mother. Just because a guy saves a girl, that does not mean he has to automatically fall in love with her, especially if the girl in question is just a little kid.

Seeing Kayo's happy new experiences when she only had darkness and abusive treatment until then, was the human drama the author decided to focus on. The anime's director even said, in the video posted before, that he wanted to show his viewers how cute Kayo was. It was never about romance. Only shippers could think something so shallow about said situation. The moments Kayo and Satoru had between them and used as excuse to call it "romance" were just comic reliefs at best. Blushing does not mean he loves her. You guys never blushed in front of a girl when something awkward happens? You do not need to like said girl to experience that. Well, Satoru had to pretend he was Kayo's boyfriend to stay close to her and since he had little to no experience in handling girls i can only imagine how embarrassing that situation must have been..lol. As soon as he saved her, not even once we saw him remembering Kayo or hinting he had a broken heart by being separated from her.

Plus, just because Satoru's mother said Airi would be a nice woman for him and her being saved by Satoru from the fire, does not means he automatically started to love her too..LOL. I guess a shipper will see romantic interests everywhere as long as there are two characters they like involved. It's in their liberty to do so but still... i think it's pushing the bar a little to much in these situations in particular... but each to their own, I guess.
And just like some people can see romantic interest in anything involving two characters they like, some people obviously are able to completely ignore almost anything, to the point where there's never a hint of romance unless someone confesses their love or kisses the other person. I understand, some people do indeed ship to the point of absurdity. There was a recent series where people kept insisting that the main character was in love with a six-year-old when he never treated her like anything but a six year old child. But this show was full of suggestion, scene after scene of Kayo and Satoru together with all kinds of interactions that clearly imply a childish crush on Kayo's part, and feelings that Satoru has to keep pushing away because of his technical age. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Satoru was in love with Kayo, but his feelings went beyond mere friendship. And I would definitely say, based on all of her behaviors, that Kayo's feelings toward Satoru were very much in the realm of puppy love.

As for Airi, the implications are lighter if only for lack of screen time, but there is implication again of a relationship that pushes against the limits of friendship. True, these feelings are left open to interpretation as it's not meant to be a romance series, but they're clearly made to suggest at least a degree of interest or openness to the concept of romance. Again, it's far lighter than Kayo due to Airi getting very little screen time, but there is some degree of implication.

In any case, I've been seeing both ends of the spectrum in this forum and both strike me as amusing. I wouldn't say that Satoru was deeply and truly in love with either of the major female characters, but a degree of romantic interest was there. At the same time, it's kind of ridiculous that we have people saying there's no indication of romance when we have many scenes that in many other series would immediately be taken to mean one of the two likes the other. Again, a series isn't lacking in evidence of romance just because it doesn't produce a conclusive couple.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 01:11   Link #1305
kgrodriguez
Three Stars and a Sun

I liked that in order to show that he forgot his memories (including using Revival to be sent back to 1988), his inner voice was his kid voice. Which makes sense, since all the he knew at the start was that he was in coma for 15 years.

That being said, I really didn't notice when his inner voice returned to his grown up voice. Did that point signify his memory returning? Or did his memory only return while they were on the elevator towards the rooftop?
kgrodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 04:02   Link #1306
Kenu
magoi, magoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Wouldn't she be too old for him? That guy is into 10 year olds.
lol spot on!
Kenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 05:19   Link #1307
EroKing

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-24 at 07:37.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 06:10   Link #1308
Kenu
magoi, magoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Images
Nice! But need pics of the best mother in the world with sexy lips.
Old 2016-03-21, 06:35   Link #1309
EroKing

Images

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-24 at 07:22.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 07:33   Link #1310
Kenu
magoi, magoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Sachiko.....
Old 2016-03-21, 09:13   Link #1311
Hero of the day
Masa~san <3

Argh I feel so salty when I'm looking through those fanart lmao.

Sachiko is indeed best mum. Correct me if I'm wrong but It seems she never picked up smoking in this new timeline.
Hero of the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 09:32   Link #1312
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Didn't see this discussed, but one thing the anime added that was really cool, but wasn't able to discuss until this episode when the "spider string" was finally mentioned...

If you go back to the first episode, you can actually see the spider's string attached to Sachiko's head.
Same with Airi when Nishinozo took a note of her as she was leaving her job. The string is visibly attached to her head.

I thought that was a really awesome foreshadowing that's only meaningful for those who either read the original material, or anime only viewers who went back to re-watch the whole series again after watching this 11th episode.
Old 2016-03-21, 10:09   Link #1313
Arya

^ wow, I didn't see that back then. I have to check it out.

About the shipping thing, I think the fault is not on the author part nor generally on the viewer, but it's the medium. Anime has this tendency to paint romance over its stories anytime. It's like a mandatory, or compulsory, thing. That somehow shaped out viewers mind to think that way even accidentally, so even when, rarely, it is not the case. Like in this one case that the show stayed very realistic.

Spoiler for shipping speculation:

And ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
the real unsung hero in all this is still Sachiko, who is the most unselfish and incredible person in the show to have done what she did.
... don't mind me if I bring this up every now and then, since she do deserves it

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 10:36   Link #1314
ChainLegacy
廉頗

In terms of the romance, I don't see any realistic possibility for Kayo to be with Satoru, so I'm glad they went in this direction.

First of all, Kayo definitely had a crush on Satoru, but Satoru was a 29 year old in a child's body, the feelings weren't mutual. Satoru is A. a good guy who couldn't stand to see a poor kid suffer that fate and B. someone who was fighting for his own life and his mother's life. His motivations were never implied to be romantic, and why would they be?

Putting all that aside, what was Kayo supposed to do? If a girl developed a crush on someone at age 10 and then held out until she was in her 20's for that person, I think we'd consider them slightly deranged. It's not normal behavior, that's for sure.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 10:55   Link #1315
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
... don't mind me if I bring this up every now and then, since she do deserves it
I don't think she gets the attention she deserves either, and there's some irony in how unspoken her role is in the show, as parents are typically resigned to.

And especially for Satoru and his mom, the new timeline has arguably been just as dismal as the first one. The author doled out a ridiculously harsh fate to them despite all the good they did. It's testament to both their selflessness and humanity that Satoru never regretted his sacrifice, and Sachiko never blamed anyone or lost hope during the 15 years.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2016-03-21 at 11:18.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 11:53   Link #1316
Arya

About kayo, I want to add how is really believable to her to have married someone of her secret circle. And specifically Hiromi instead of say, Kenya.
First because he was someone who knew and experienced both the tragedies, Kayo's personal one of her abuse, even if somehow second hand, and the one they share all, Satoru's loss. So, they share so much in terms of emotional baggage that unless Kayo didn't go down the denial route, I can see taht even as a way to mend it. They are emotionally bound and not strong enough to get over/bear it alone. But that doesn't mean the don't love each other.
Considering Hiromi sensible and harmless character in comparison to Kenya, I can see a wounded soul as the one of Kayo to feel at ease near him. So that's another point.

Kenya among them seems the only one strong enough to be able to bear it (in fact he is the one showed still pursuit Yashiro) but especially he seems the loyal type that wouldn't go with Kayo due to his personal code and also because probably he feels partially guilt.

(somehow Kenya remembered me of Brad Pit in Sleepers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
I don't think she gets the attention she deserves either, and there's some irony in how unspoken her role is in the show, as parents are typically resigned to.

And especially for Satoru and his mom, the new timeline has arguably been just as dismal as the first one. The author doled out a ridiculously harsh fate to them despite all the good they did. It's testament to both their selflessness and humanity that Satoru never regretted his sacrifice, and Sachiko never blamed anyone or lost hope during the 15 years.
I don't know. I'm probably too optimistic, but Hero of the day noted how probably Sachiko didn't smoke in this timeline, and I interpret it as a good sign, even if very subtle.

I didn't infer any substantial change in Sachiko "new" life (but the smoking detail) to the point that I'm leaning toward expecting a "reward" for them at the end of their path, especially after these 15 years in which she was so dedicated and, as you rightly pointed out, never blamed anyone.

I may be wrong but they weren't in touch anymore during episode one, Satoru was kinda a lost soul and they somehow lost each other too, due to the killings, but after all what Satoru experienced I'm expecting them to come out with their bond stronger than even.
So that's what will be Sachiko reward, to have his son back. And not physically, but, you know, as a mother and son, that unique bond.
And considering Sachiko, I'm 110% sure that this is the best reward she could have ever wished for and the one she had dedicated her life to (even if it would have taken 40 years instead of 15), as the true mother she is. It's just that she won't be fully aware of it.

Also, once their issue will be resolved the future in front of them will be much brighter than before.

So, yeah, to make it short, the fate in this second timeline is potentially extremely different, positively, from the first one, IMO.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 12:45   Link #1317
Boukenxha

You know what Arya said set me off to be wondering how much do the kids now grown-ups understand about Satoru's incident. Correct me if I'm wrong.... what's interesting is that Satoru never force it to anyone (not even to Kenya) that Hiromi and Aya were supposed to be dead but saved by Satoru's prevention plan in the guise of a make believe detective game. This is a deviation from the known fact of Kayo's case where she was on the receiving end of actual abuse and seeing real threat to her life. When I think of it that way, it is not a far out thought that Hiromi isn't feeling as indebted to Satoru as we feel he should be.

Kenya is a different case, because of how much he was involved as Satoru's sidekick. And because of his abnormal intuition even as a 11 year old, he might have gotten a different read of the situation with Satoru's incident after having heard and not fully believing Satoru's "detective stories" when he was told of it before. The way he seemed to be upset when leaving Satoru's ward seem to suggest that he has more than one foot in to trying to seek an answer for this over the years. Also reflecting the above that Hiromi was not together with him and Sawada, so Kenya might have it as a personal endeavor and not have involved his peers.

And yeap, Sachiko is still alive so in there opens up the future that should Satoru survives this timeline over Nishizono/Yahiro, there should be lots of opportunity to make up for what's lost and show his love for mother.

Last edited by Boukenxha; 2016-03-21 at 13:10.
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 13:26   Link #1318
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Didn't see this discussed, but one thing the anime added that was really cool, but wasn't able to discuss until this episode when the "spider string" was finally mentioned...

If you go back to the first episode, you can actually see the spider's string attached to Sachiko's head.
Same with Airi when Nishinozo took a note of her as she was leaving her job. The string is visibly attached to her head.

I thought that was a really awesome foreshadowing that's only meaningful for those who either read the original material, or anime only viewers who went back to re-watch the whole series again after watching this 11th episode.
In another forum, I found clips that show this. (If they aren't allowed, let me know and I'll remove them)
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 14:43   Link #1319
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boukenxha View Post
You know what Arya said set me off to be wondering how much do the kids now grown-ups understand about Satoru's incident. Correct me if I'm wrong.... what's interesting is that Satoru never force it to anyone (not even to Kenya) that Hiromi and Aya were supposed to be dead but saved by Satoru's prevention plan in the guise of a make believe detective game. This is a deviation from the known fact of Kayo's case where she was on the receiving end of actual abuse and seeing real threat to her life. When I think of it that way, it is not a far out thought that Hiromi isn't feeling as indebted to Satoru as we feel he should be.

Kenya is a different case, because of how much he was involved as Satoru's sidekick. And because of his abnormal intuition even as a 11 year old, he might have gotten a different read of the situation with Satoru's incident after having heard and not fully believing Satoru's "detective stories" when he was told of it before. The way he seemed to be upset when leaving Satoru's ward seem to suggest that he has more than one foot in to trying to seek an answer for this over the years. Also reflecting the above that Hiromi was not together with him and Sawada, so Kenya might have it as a personal endeavor and not have involved his peers.

And yeap, Sachiko is still alive so in there opens up the future that should Satoru survives this timeline over Nishizono/Yahiro, there should be lots of opportunity to make up for what's lost and show his love for mother.
We have seen Kenya with Sawada discussing about how they have waited for Satoru's awakening for 15 years, and how "there's no need to be impatient".

We know from the normal timeline that Sawada has spent his life trying to catch the serial abductor\killer of several young girls throughout Japan. That shouldn't have changed, with the only exception of Kenya who is working with him now.

I think it's clear that they believe Satoru has witnessed the man they are looking for with his own eyes at the time he was almost killed. And since the killer has quite an evident preference for girls, they probably concluded that the only reason he was almost killed is because he actively interfered with his plans.

When you consider all that I think it's safe to assume that Kenya believes Satoru was right when he thought that Kayo, Aya and Hiromi were possible targets. At least one of them must have been, from his perspective.

Whether Hiromi is truly aware of this is however another matter. It depends on how much Kenya decided to tell him, but even without that, Hiromi is certainly very grateful to Satoru for all he did for the sake of his wife.

As for Aya Nakanishi, she probably knows nothing.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 17:33   Link #1320
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
In another forum, I found clips that show this. (If they aren't allowed, let me know and I'll remove them)
I know when can we see Airi's. Now I know Sachiko's. But how about Kayo?
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote