AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-07-16, 17:55   Link #41
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

So I finally managed to watch the first three episode and I have to say, my God that was amazing. There were so many moments that simply took my breath away. Thors was responsible for most of them: Him buying the slave at deaths door and the words he gave to Thorfinn when he picked up the blade were so amazing. But then there's Leif and his harrowing tale and pretty much all the other characters who had so much personality (including the antagonists), and that's not to mention the amazingly well crafted setting that is so atmospheric (great visual and soundtrack) and so meticulously developed right down to smallest details (like how they started getting sores on their arses and hands from the exhaustive rowing).

Moar.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-28, 12:33   Link #42
Blaat

We finally have 'Moar.' and it was another fantastic episode, Shizuka Ishigami nailed it at the end and I'm really loving Naoya Uchida as Askelad.
Old 2019-07-28, 18:12   Link #43
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It was a long wait, but this episode fully delivered. I really liked how they managed to convey Askeladd's true feelings with slight changes in his facial expression. He was totally serious when he offered Thors to become their leader, and he regretted having to kill a man as exceptional as him. Proof of the latter is the fact he kept his promise.
Old 2019-07-28, 18:41   Link #44
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep4:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-28, 18:53   Link #45
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well RIP for the best character in the show. The real question going forward is whether this angry kid is going to be a tolerable main character or not.
Old 2019-07-28, 19:36   Link #46
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep4:
If you think that Askeladd wants Thors just because of his strength, you must have not paid enough attention.
Old 2019-07-28, 22:59   Link #47
Wandering Soul

It was obvious Thors was going to have to bite the dust and have his son become the angry jaded man he is in the opening. The episode was well worth the wait and I'm looking forward to more.
Old 2019-07-29, 11:10   Link #48
Blaat

Images
Episode 5 preview video
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

The youtube channel has interviews with various production staff members and the mangaka with official English subtitles, There are no story spoilers, but they do mention a character who hasn't appeared yet (he is mentioned in one of the PVs though) and a country we haven't seen seen yet. So depending how sensitive you are to spoilers e.g. you want to be totally blind for the anime and not have a single thing spoiled, it might be better to avoid it till the series is over. If not it's definitely worth checking out.

Spoiler for episode 5 preview:
Old 2019-07-29, 11:45   Link #49
AntonKutovoi

I mean, with 24 episodes, there's only one place of the story, where they can stop. If they can add more content and keep the quality and pacing the same, I won't complain.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 11:47   Link #50
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well RIP for the best character in the show. The real question going forward is whether this angry kid is going to be a tolerable main character or not.
The real best character of the show is still alive though.
Old 2019-07-29, 13:14   Link #51
Nivek von Beldo

Thor died faster i expected,i thought he would die when everyone was flying to canada....seems i got it wrong.

and we got blonde Asta already
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 16:36   Link #52
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Why do people keep comparing Thorfinn with Eren or Asta or whatever?
He WAS NOT a teenager like them! He was just 6 year old at this point.
Old 2019-07-29, 16:46   Link #53
Jaden

I never knew about Vinland Saga until now, since I don't pay attention to manga very much. This one hit me like Thor's hammer.

3 episodes to set up Thors as this living legend that transcends the setting with his brain and brawn, just so he can be killed off to set things up for the actual main character, that is some ambitious writing. Reminds me of GoT but even bolder in some ways.

I just hope the anime keeps going for as long as it needs to.
Old 2019-07-29, 18:43   Link #54
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
3 episodes to set up Thors as this living legend that transcends the setting with his brain and brawn, just so he can be killed off to set things up for the actual main character, that is some ambitious writing. Reminds me of GoT but even bolder in some ways.
It should be noted the manga starts with teen Thorfinn attacking a fort and basically most of the stuff you see in the OP. It's only after that that we get his backstory and we're introduced to Thors, who we knew from the get go would be killed by Askeladd. I think the anime team has made an excellent choice by starting with the flashback. They should have gone all the way and not show the OP until episode 5, since it gave away a lot.

I don't know about Asta, but it's obvious why Thorfinn is being compared to Eren (it should be the other way around): same studio animating the series, the characters both lose one of their parents as a kid and swear to get revenge no matter what, displaying pure rage. I think Thorfinn's scene was more intense though.
Old 2019-07-29, 20:59   Link #55
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Loud mouth son was the cause of badass daddy's death. I can't forgive his loud mouth unless he will grow into a really good looking man. But from the OP, I don't recall seeing any good looking man. Hmm....
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 21:01   Link #56
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
If you think that Askeladd wants Thors just because of his strength, you must have not paid enough attention.
I'm referring to the real Vikings
Also, I haven't invested in this anime enough to remember any of their names, so I don't know who Askaladd is. The baddy from this episode, one of the baddies that were talking at the tent 3 weeks ago...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 21:23   Link #57
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
Loud mouth son was the cause of badass daddy's death.
He was not actually. Bjorn could have just grabbed someone else if Thorfinn wasn't there.
Thors's fate was sealed the moment the group ran into this trap.
He could only survive if he was willing to abandon his friends.
Old 2019-07-29, 22:51   Link #58
Chosen_Hero

Man, I really hate that stupid kid, it's his fault his father had to sacrifice himself.
Old 2019-07-29, 22:59   Link #59
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Man, I really hate that stupid kid, it's his fault his father had to sacrifice himself.
No, it’s really not. This would have ended the same way no matter what happened, and Thors knew it. There’s no way he could defeat all of Askeladd’s men and protect two boats worth of farmer’s sons with no fighting experience. Askeladd was too smart to let this end without getting his prize - the rest of the crew was unimportant to him.

However, I do think his offer to Thors to become the leader was sincere. He knew there was almost no chance Thors would agree, but it was offered seriously.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 23:27   Link #60
Frontier

I love how Thors was cutting a swath through Askeladd's crew without killing anyone. He even threw one guy an oar to keep him afloat .

Tags
historical