AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2018-09-30, 06:19   Link #1
Doe, John

Magisterus Bad Trip

"Magisterus Bad Trip" is a web novel series by Kamachi Kazuma, of Index fame, and illustrated by Mahaya. It's hosted on Dengeki Bunko's Kakuyomu page (link) and is being translated by Js06 (link).

It's set in Money (Game) Master, the world's biggest online game. The game is about financial dealings and all illegal actions are allowed. Unlike many other such games, it has no level system: a player's strength is derived solely from their equipment. Money (Game) Master is extremely influential, to the point that snow (its virtual currency) has a value rivalling that of the dollar or yen.

The main character is Suou Kaname, a high school student and a Dealer (the term used for players of the game). He's skilled at driving, shooting and finance, able to earn 1.7 billion snow just in the prologue. The succubus on the cover is Tselika, a Magisterus (an AI guide and partner). If that name sounds familiar to you, this is the third time Kamachi has used the name for a character (though both of the previous ones were villains).

The aim of the story is apparently to obtain the Inheritance: the powerful equipment left by a legendary Dealer known as Criminal AO. This equipment is rumoured to break the rules of physics in the game, so everyone wants to get their hands on it.

Last edited by Doe, John; 2018-12-08 at 17:01.
Doe, John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-30, 06:54   Link #2
Tenzen12

Kamachi really love Tselika doesn't he?

Sounds good I will check it out once I catch up with VamZom sisters
Old 2018-10-01, 04:20   Link #3
Doe, John

Chapter 1 is now translated.

Kaname gives off a different impression from other Kamachi main characters. His combination of general competence and calm and collected personality is most similar to Kyousuke of Blood Sign, but without Kyousuke's problem with a certain yandere goddess.

A trend I've noticed is that the company names are references to other Kamachi series: Index (Fiamma Securities, F. Over Industries), Heavy Object (Megalodiver Shipping, Rush General Trading Company), Intellectual Village (Tarot Girls 22), Waltraute (Asgard Motors), Blood Sign (Toy Dream, Rainy Girl Research, White Queen Tourism), Killer Princess (Satsuki Construction), A Simple Survey (Alice Works).
Old 2018-10-01, 12:23   Link #4
Tenzen12

MC actions stinks pretty bad right from the bat. I wouldn't be surprised if he double crossed Silver wolves.

Also I really hope Pavilion isn't Kaname younger yandere sister. Especially as she affiliated with "White Queen Tourism".
Old 2018-10-02, 00:46   Link #5
entei08

Pavillion is more likely the girl Ayame writes to in her letters. The second letter makes it pretty obvious that Ayame is the one writing them when she mentions her brother. Then the narration keeps mentioning that Pavilion has someone she wants to impress.
entei08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 00:34   Link #6
Doe, John

Chapter 1 is fully translated, with some shocking twists. I also thought that the person writing the letters was Ayame, but it turns out to be Takamasa/Criminal A.O.'s sister.

To be honest, I was worried that this series might end up being nothing more than a collection of references to his other series, but Kamachi has succeeded in creating a new kind of story.
Old 2018-10-29, 02:43   Link #7
Doe, John

Chapter 2 is partly translated.

I suspect that this person with nice handwriting that Midori writes to is actually Kaname.
Old 2018-10-29, 14:46   Link #8
Tenzen12

Or his imouto. She would have to be bokkuko, but it's not impossible (if I guess it's her everytime there is some unknown person I will eventually get it right).

Either way I hope Midori will not end as main heroine of Bad Trip.
Old 2018-11-01, 18:06   Link #9
cadu_

Romance?
Snusnu?
Harem?
Scumbag protag?
Antihero protag?
Good Plot?
Smart/Schemer protag?
Any plot in real life or is it focused only in the virtual game?
Old 2018-11-02, 16:09   Link #10
Doe, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadu_ View Post
Romance?
Snusnu?
Harem?
Scumbag protag?
Antihero protag?
Good Plot?
Smart/Schemer protag?
Any plot in real life or is it focused only in the virtual game?
It's still early in the series, so it's hard to tell, but:
  • There is romance and a developing harem. It's very unlikely that there'll be any sex, as this is a Kamachi novel.
  • The protagonist isn't a scumbag or antihero, more of a cold and pragmatic hero. He is smart and a schemer.
  • Again, not much of the plot has been shown so far, but I think it's good at least.
  • There are some hints of things happening in real life, but it's mostly focused on the game.
Old 2018-11-06, 02:39   Link #11
Doe, John

Now we're up to Chapter 3.

Vehicles speeding across rooftops reminds me of the chase scene in Batman Begins - Lilikiska's limo is even reminiscent of the Batmobile.

The revelation about Ayame made me initially think that this would end up being like Blood Sign and Ayame would be like the White Queen. But then I got proven wrong by the very next chapter.

The plot is advancing at a breakneck pace. Volume 1 isn't even complete yet and we've got the whole world after the main characters, similar to both Index NT10 and Blood Sign 5. Though it's different in that Kaname himself is being directly targeted as well.
Old 2018-11-07, 10:54   Link #12
Tenzen12

See guys, that's what happen if you don't treat cars of your waifus with care

Jokes aside, retrospectively it makes sense that magisters are one behind game or at least closely connected to it. Well either way I hope Kaname and Tselika can make up soon.
Old 2018-11-11, 05:38   Link #13
Doe, John

Chapter 3 is finished and... holy crap, things have escalated even more.

In retrospect, given all the strange aspects about Money (Game) Master, it makes sense that it's an alternate universe like in Beatrice. Though given all of the sudden twists we've been getting so far, even this might end up being a lie.

It turns out I was right about Kaname being the one corresponding with Midori.

Continuing the theme of references to other series, the choice at the end is reminiscent of My Vampire Older Sister (...). I can already guess that Kaname will find some way to save them both, and that he'll win over Tselika to his side somehow.
Old 2018-11-12, 02:37   Link #14
Doe, John

And now the Epilogue's done as well.

Tselika not being a villain is another one of those things that's more obvious in retrospect. From the looks of things, she's the main heroine of the series, not Midori.

Criminal AO/Takamasa is back and working to collect his Over Tricks for himself. It seems that one of the themes of this series will be friends fighting.
Old 2018-11-12, 09:38   Link #15
Tenzen12

Yeah, with recent development I didn't expect Tselika as main heroine, but I think this ending cemented her in that position. Which is great, she is real sweetheart. (shame she deleted that wiki entry, though)

Next volume Takamasa vs Suo. That should be epic.
Old 2018-12-07, 01:48   Link #16
Doe, John

Rereading the volume now and I'm picking up the various bits of foreshadowing.

Also, it's a shame that we don't have any pictures other than the cover right now. I know that it's a web novel series, but it would be nice if we at least had pictures of the other characters.

EDIT: While looking around I discovered that there's now a TVTropes page for this series: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...isterusBadTrip. I also discovered that there is another picture, making my second point above annoyingly ironic. I've now put that picture into the OP.

Last edited by Doe, John; 2018-12-08 at 17:03.
Old 2019-01-23, 06:05   Link #17
Doe, John

The Afterword has been translated. There's the usual explanation of what the novel is about and how it was written. It's also mentioned that Mahaya made character designs for all of the Ag Wolves and their Magisteri. I do have to disagree with one of the final lines, though: "A protagonist who makes a point of not showing off his actions" is kind of the rule, rather than the exception, for Kamachi protagonists.
Old 2019-06-09, 12:42   Link #18
Tenzen12

New arc is here! And surprisingly Tselika car got turned into sieve. Totally didn't see that coming

Seems VamZom sisters also getting new volume.
Old 2019-07-25, 16:04   Link #19
Doe, John

Images for the first two volumes have now been posted.

Tags
action, finance, online game, virtual reality