AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-05-10, 16:13   Link #1281
xia

Fantastic news to hear about a second season. I cant believe it hasnt been licensed yet.

I tried watching the Live action, just to get my fix, and my computer kept crashing.
xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 16:57   Link #1282
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Are we to interpret that statement to mean that your computer had a less than favorable impression of the live-action? I watched about two-thirds of it; it wasn't bad except for the live-action slapstick. I didn't laugh when Chiaki pushed Nodame into a large rock in one of the first couple of episodes. Overall I thought the performers for both Chiaki and Nodame were pretty decent, and the women in the supporting roles were gorgeous. I still prefer the anime version.

My eyes teared with joy at the news that we'll be able to see the Paris arc. I always enjoy watching Japanese portrayals of foreign societies as in Monster and Baccano!. I can't wait to see Nodame and Chiaki swooning on the Champs-Élysées or perched atop the Eiffel Tower. Rather sounds like an Audrey Hepburn movie, doesn't it? Actually the Breakfast at Tiffany's-era Hepburn would probably have made a great Nodame. I'd like to see her paired with the Philadelphia Story-era Cary Grant as Chiaki. Of course, they'd both need to work on their Japanese.

I've thought a bit about why NC hasn't yet been licensed. I think it's largely because it doesn't fit the supposed market profile of R1 anime buyers. Look at American network programming; do you see any shows about classical musicians? Do you even see classical music on television any more except for the occasional concert on PBS? I grew up watching the CBS broadcasts of Leonard Bernstein's "Young People's Concerts" with the New York Philharmonic on Sunday afternoons. Who shows programs like that today? Last night, on a local PBS channel, I watched an American Masters show about Marvin Gaye. I mention this not to diminish Mr. Gaye's talents, which were considerable, but to show how even the most "highbrow" network on American television now spends a considerable proportion of its time on popular culture.

Nodame Cantabile
is another show where I think there probably is a potential audience in R1, but it's still only a potential audience. I'd bet there are many people, especially women, who might love a show like Nodame Cantabile if they could be convinced to watch a "cartoon" for a while. That's why I continue to think anime shows like NC need to be syndicated to networks like Oxygen; getting Oprah to endorse anime would catapult it in visibility faster than anything else I can think of.

I think it's a great tribute to the cultural development of the Japanese people that Nodame Cantabile has been such a popular success in all its incarnations.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 18:09   Link #1283
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

The music is only part of the appeal. I like classical music, but I more watched for the comedy and character development, plus the it had a very good first episode. NC left me feeling all fuzzy at the end, I like any series that leaves me feeling that way.

Actually the only bad thing about it was that some of the concert scenes felt like slideshows, beyond that. Seeing as the series is pretty popular in japan we might get better animation on that front.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 18:13   Link #1284
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Are we to interpret that statement to mean that your computer had a less than favorable impression of the live-action?
Nah more like the computer couldn't handle the awesomeness of the live action version.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 19:02   Link #1285
Eric10301

I really wasn't sure about this series when I first saw it on anidb but once I started watching it I couldn't stop. Needless to say I'm very happy about the news.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 19:50   Link #1286
Kaijin
かいじん

Glad to hear they are going to produce season 2!
Old 2008-05-10, 22:18   Link #1287
falloutgal
Madao

So excited as well!! I held off reading the manga for so long and finally to be rewarded with the 2nd season! I love this anime so much and it totally got me listening to more classical music, in fact, so much so that I'm off to a concert that includes the Rach 2 next week muahaha ^_^
falloutgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 22:38   Link #1288
FuzzyWuzzy

The anime went with a different ending at the end in s1. I just hope that they won't continue that. Since I saw the anime and live action which are both great. But the end of S1 is kind of definitive about the relationship of the two but it's not definitive in the live action. So I don't know the manga but I'm hoping that they won't continue what they ended with in S1.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 22:40   Link #1289
Fweakin

Yes! I've been waiting for this news for a while now. I succumbed and read the manga about a year ago, and thankfully I've forgotten most of it (as the Japan arc followed the manga very closely) so it should feel newish.

Yay for josei stories getting sequels.
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 22:45   Link #1290
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

*happy dance happy dance*
I am soooo excited, especially since I adored the Paris specials of the live-action. I'm interested in seeing how the anime differs from the live-action ^_^

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 22:51   Link #1291
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

OMG...Second Season....I Wanna See it ^.^
*Me So Happy Right Now *
Old 2008-05-10, 22:54   Link #1292
nanafan
horo fan

another season!!! sweet i guess it will follow after the special they had about after graduation
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 01:29   Link #1293
Asleep

why did I click on this thread so late?

this is sooooooooooooooooooo great! YAY!
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 01:52   Link #1294
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Another season? Best news ever!
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 02:25   Link #1295
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwkc View Post
Another season? Best news ever!
You tell me!

When I read the news, I cried and it sounded like violin =/

Best rom-com ever, and classy too.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 02:44   Link #1296
UltimaWolf
~Nani...?~

I'm really excited about the second season aswell, Can't wait!
Old 2008-05-11, 10:26   Link #1297
Dop
Mmmm....

Fantastic news about season 2!

I agree with SeijiSensei's reasoning on why the series hasn't been licensed. In a world where anime is so often associated with giant robots, schoolgirls, tentacles, and ninjas it would be kind of hard to see a market for a classical music based romantic comedy.

The best we could hope for, I guess, would be a RightStuf/Nozomi licence - as they've been showing a propensity for picking up series I never expected to see get an R1 release.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 10:34   Link #1298
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

It depends though; just how well is the Nodame Cantabile manga doing in the North American market?

If it's doing well, I could see someone tapping into this. A straightforward enough advertisement can easily be placed in each volume out of the printing press, so to speak, with some simple cooperation being all that is needed to get straight to a market that is already interested in the franchise -- though, of course, many will still be "just manga fans."

And if things get good, well, popular stuff has its own momentum, especially if the license is managed by competent handlers.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 10:42   Link #1299
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
I see the manga in stores and then come back a few days later and there are a lot less volumes.

I think the word of mouth is getting out there.

Super happy about season two!
Old 2008-05-11, 12:06   Link #1300
nanafan
horo fan

yay i am sooo happy and people are realizing the love and happiness that is nodame!!
i can't wait!
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, nodame cantabile, noitamina, romance