AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-07, 07:42   Link #1841
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Osaka
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
Tomorrow's gonna be a relaxed day. Four hours by train, four hours JLPT, four hours back.
I'm not so confident anymore though, didn't learn anything in the past few weeks. I just can hope that all my reading will make up for it somehow. And hopefully I won't be too unsure about the result once it's over; I imagine that having no idea of whether or not I passed for about three months wouldn't be very cool...
Well, I survived the Ikkyuu. Dead tired now, though.

The listening and grammar sections were all right. Reading comprehension was borderline: I understood the passages, but I had a hard time figuring out how some of the answers to the questions were different from each other. There must be some subtle nuances that I still don't quite get.

As for kanji/vocabulary: ouch. If I fail the exam, it will be because I bombed this section. If you just give me a word, I don't have too much trouble picking apart the meaning / pronunciation, but when you take one word, extrapolate the pronunciation of one character, apply it to something else? I got nothin'. Guess I should get to work on studying words for the re-take in July, regardless of whether I manage to squeak by with a 70...
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 09:29   Link #1842
Ja-Y-Ce
Earthling
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butternuts View Post
Hmm, I thought the listening test was the most easy test of them all, but that one graph question was hard, maybe I didn't pay attention hard enough lol. The Comprehension and Grammar was VERY hard, omg I was sweating bullets. I didn't manage my time correctly, I should have done the grammar portion of the test, then reading. Whatever..
well, i am the worst here then. Both Listening and Grammar were hard, especially the Grammar.. oh man, my time management sux! Unable to finish the paper...

Guess that I definitely need a miracle just to pass this paper. Anyway, good for those residing in areas that have the July papers next yr.... Arrgghhh and why only certain regions have them!?! This is so unfair.! :X
Ja-Y-Ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 10:24   Link #1843
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bleeghhh
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Good luck to those who still have time before taking it (mostly only those left in the US now eh). I'm going to "study" this morning by going to Japan Town for a little shopping. :P

Maybe I've mentioned it before but despite having studied level 2 material this past year, I don't have the confidence for it, so I signed up for 3. Feel free to call me a wimp, but I'm not a very good test-taker regardless. After a lot of review, next year level 2 for sure...
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 18:29   Link #1844
Mueti
あ!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Japan
Age: 31
Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
Well, I survived the Ikkyuu. Dead tired now, though.

The listening and grammar sections were all right. Reading comprehension was borderline: I understood the passages, but I had a hard time figuring out how some of the answers to the questions were different from each other. There must be some subtle nuances that I still don't quite get.

As for kanji/vocabulary: ouch. If I fail the exam, it will be because I bombed this section. If you just give me a word, I don't have too much trouble picking apart the meaning / pronunciation, but when you take one word, extrapolate the pronunciation of one character, apply it to something else? I got nothin'. Guess I should get to work on studying words for the re-take in July, regardless of whether I manage to squeak by with a 70...
Heh, I survived it as well. The Kanji plus vocabulary part was by far the hardest one for me but that was to be expected. Listening comprehension was ok, even though I didn't do as good as I thought I would. At times I just couldn't really concentrate anymore. And that break was a joke....
[ちょっと休憩しましょう!」
*5 seconds of elevator music*
「では、次の質問!」


If I pass it'll be because of part 3, especially reading comprehension I found to be rather easy. I know what you mean when you're talking about subtle nuances - but they definitely were in the text if you read closely enough.
Alright then, gotta go get up in 4 hours, about time I get to bed. See ya!^^
__________________
Mueti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 22:24   Link #1845
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bleeghhh
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
At times I just couldn't really concentrate anymore. And that break was a joke....
[ちょっと休憩しましょう!」
*5 seconds of elevator music*
「では、次の質問!」
That was hilarious XD And I also couldn't concentrate as well during listening comprehension.. They were speaking sooo slowly, I started dozing off in the middle of each one!

Vocab portion wildly swayed between very easy and very difficult (very easy if I knew the vocab; very difficult if I didn't - there was hardly any context to draw meaning from!!) while the grammar portion was a piece of cake - I finished that portion at least a half hour early. I'm very confident I passed, but I'm hoping for a high score as well.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 05:10   Link #1846
Ja-Y-Ce
Earthling
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Damn, i made a huge mistake by looking at those chinese sites which have posted the online answers for the JLPT paper... and i guess i only pass the vocab section. OMG! *faintz*

*in the state of depression and denial now*
Ja-Y-Ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 16:17   Link #1847
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 61
If there's one thing I've learned from watching the JLPT antics over the last couple of years ... its that cramming and cheat sites don't work. You simply have to be more comfortable with the language than the test level you've about to take is testing for.
Of course, that's one reason I keep putting off my own descent into JLPT madness.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 20:08   Link #1848
TheZap
Mod Magnet XD
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I know a few words( idk if someone already said, I am sort of new here and refuse to read all of this from start too much )
Hmmm, idk if im spelling this right,
Shini (She-Neh) Die
Well, I dont want to type aaaallllllll the words I know
TheZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 07:05   Link #1849
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Osaka
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZap View Post
I know a few words( idk if someone already said, I am sort of new here and refuse to read all of this from start too much )
Hmmm, idk if im spelling this right,
Shini (She-Neh) Die
Well, I dont want to type aaaallllllll the words I know
Well, it's not the imperative, but if you say it the right way it comes across as a request...

That said, it's not the kind of vocabulary you'll find much opportunity to use in day-to-day conversation, unless you intend on making people look at you funny.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 05:02   Link #1850
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hawaii
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
That said, it's not the kind of vocabulary you'll find much opportunity to use in day-to-day conversation, unless you intend on making people look at you funny.
Yes, I agree.


It's not a term you want to use in normal conversations, unless you're having a conversation with someone close, like a good friend. Also, it's a vulgar term. You don't want to go down the street in Japan and start shouting "shineh" out loud. Other than getting funny looks and getting laughed at, someone or some people might think you're saying that to them and get angry.
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 05:09   Link #1851
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkenX6 View Post
It's not a term you want to use in normal conversations, unless you're having a conversation with someone close, like a good friend. Also, it's a vulgar term. You don't want to go down the street in Japan and start shouting "shineh" out loud. Other than getting funny looks and getting laughed at, someone or some people might think you're saying that to them and get angry.
hee hee hee, it's so easy to spot out who's been watching waaaay too much anime and hasn't hung around japanese natives much.
Simply put, just reverse the situation and imagine a bunch of foreigners shouting out power ranger commands, or cheesy superhero sentences:
"I will defeat you in the name of freedom!"
"Justice will be served!"
"Eat this, punk!"
"Evil will never win!"
(and so on, lol)

So for that reason, I keep the cheesy anime comments to jp karaoke songs and other gaijin who may be interested in the same anime (eg: naruto)
__________________

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 05:29   Link #1852
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hawaii
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
hee hee hee, it's so easy to spot out who's been watching waaaay too much anime and hasn't hung around japanese natives much.
Indeed. From my personal experiences, people who randomly shout out vulgar Japanese terms and/or slang terms are usually just very odd showoffs. Now of course, this is not the universal reason for this behavior, but it's what I have observed throughout the years. A guy I know used to go around shouting terms like "sukebeh(pervert)" and the like all the time, like at the local community college. >>
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 09:36   Link #1853
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Osaka
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkenX6 View Post
Indeed. From my personal experiences, people who randomly shout out vulgar Japanese terms and/or slang terms are usually just very odd showoffs. Now of course, this is not the universal reason for this behavior, but it's what I have observed throughout the years. A guy I know used to go around shouting terms like "sukebeh(pervert)" and the like all the time, like at the local community college. >>
It's not really that uncommon for people who are still at a relatively low level of a given language to be proficient in... certain areas of vocabulary. My ninensei boys, for example, sometimes struggle with how to answer the question "How are you?", yet they know all the words for various parts of the anatomy that they have a keen interest in, as well as a plethora of phrases that could get them beaten up in America.

Given that, I think it basically comes down to where one's priorities lie. If it's being able to hold a conversation, then one makes an effort to learn what it takes to engage someone else in small talk or serious discussion. If it's finding porn on the internet, you get a fair percentage of my male students. And, of course, if it's spouting the phrases you know from your favorite anime, you'll find a decent amount of people on any given anime forum. Hell — even I was like that, years upon years ago.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-14, 07:07   Link #1854
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hawaii
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
And, of course, if it's spouting the phrases you know from your favorite anime, you'll find a decent amount of people on any given anime forum. Hell even I was like that, years upon years ago.
Well, I suppose it's just the fascination of learning something cool and/or interesting in another language. Plus, some people are more open/vocal than others.
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 17:42   Link #1855
Autumn Demon
~
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Age: 30
Is there a Japanese version of qwerty and what is it?
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 17:57   Link #1856
iLney
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Uhm, I'm planning to learn all of the 2000 compulsory Kanji before any serious learning. Is it a good idea? (just learn how to write and the meaning of those, not the pronunciation). I got like 300 in 4 days thx to Heisig's methods.

Or should I stop now and concentrate more in grammar and stuffs?
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 18:22   Link #1857
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Osaka
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post
Uhm, I'm planning to learn all of the 2000 compulsory Kanji before any serious learning. Is it a good idea? (just learn how to write and the meaning of those, not the pronunciation). I got like 300 in 4 days thx to Heisig's methods.

Or should I stop now and concentrate more in grammar and stuffs?
Recognition alone will help you figure out meaning to a healthy extent, but there are other aspects of of kanji that are just as important as knowing what they mean. Pronunciation (especially when it comes to the various and sundry kun readings) can be fairly closely tied to grammar, especially when it comes to learning the nuances of usage.

That said, if you don't consider memorizing two thousand kanji "serious learning", maybe you'll be fine regardless.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 18:53   Link #1858
iLney
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Uhm, I mean rearranging the way my brain works and making it to so naturally (Japanese grammar) requires much more effort. Man, I;ve even tried to spell a word in kana in stead of romaji lately (everything in kana), and it's slowwwww
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 18:59   Link #1859
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post
Uhm, I mean rearranging the way my brain works and making it to so naturally (Japanese grammar) requires much more effort. Man, I;ve even tried to spell a word in kana in stead of romaji lately (everything in kana), and it's slowwwww
practice makes perfect as with most things. Keep with it and over the months and years it'll speed up
As for learning not to say anything, seems kinda pointless. That's like learning to write the ABC, but not knowing the sounds, how can you actually read or communicate then?
Don't forget (as i think a lot of us do) learning kanji = learning vocabulary. It'll strenghtern the words you need to mesh in with the grammar, so both are just as important.
For me personally, learning kanji is an easier way to memorise vocab as i can kinda 'see' the word.
Of course there's 3 issues with it; as of lately for me, it's knowing the english word, seeing the kanji in my head, but forgetting how to actually read it. x.x
__________________

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 19:43   Link #1860
7thMethuselah
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Antwerp area, Belgium, Europa
Age: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post
Uhm, I'm planning to learn all of the 2000 compulsory Kanji before any serious learning. Is it a good idea? (just learn how to write and the meaning of those, not the pronunciation). I got like 300 in 4 days thx to Heisig's methods.

Or should I stop now and concentrate more in grammar and stuffs?
Learning the nearly 2000 basic kanji but not how to make a sentence seems a bit strange to say the least. And even if you know them all you won't be able to tell the content of a sentence still. The combination of 2 kanji can give meanings which aren't even closely related to the basic meaning of the separate kanji, the word for Japan is made up from the combination of the kanji for a tree with the kanji for a sun for example. I also think it'll require some serious discipline to learn all the kanji without knowing how to read them, and for all the effort you will still be little further to being able to read a japanese text.

So I think you should learn some grammar with it as well. Being able to recognise and later 'read' kanji is a big fulfillment. There's no real need to learn all on and kun readings at once if you can't connect these to words you know. Just pick them up as you go along. I tend to learn some grammar and add in a set of kanji according to new vocabulary that comes with it. You wont find words for all readings, since some readings are more rare than others, as long as you know the commonly used ones. A good reference book is indispensible here of course. It's just as Mystique said, kanji are a great way to add words to your vocabulary. And vocabulary is a great way to remember the kanji

The most important thing with Kanji is practicing to read simple texts. Read and reread texts untill you can make out the reading of a kanji naturally with no effort. At first you'll find it confusing to see the reading according to the context, but you'll notice you can make progress here really fast and knowing which readings to use becomes relatively fast and easy without the need to learn all on and kun readings as a list. Remembering the meaning of the kanji really gets etched in your brain this way. You won't be learning 400 Kanji in a few days with this method, but you will be able to actually read a text, and remembering the kanji becomes so much easier since you can connect it to several items at once.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hiragana

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.