AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-12-12, 04:53   Link #661
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
In hindsight, this was a useless episode.
So character development for a side character is useless now? Plus interaction between Klan and Michael is needed, or they would feel completely empty later on. & let's not forget seeing Grace's hidden side of her, which is far from useless.

As for Sheryl training, worth it just to see her adorable little feet.
Old 2010-12-12, 05:08   Link #662
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
In a way, it's kind of a shame they never followed up on this, but then again I'm not sure how they would, so maybe it was all for the best.
Probably because they didn't actually plan to have him around much longer. Kamiya-san (or it could have been the writer) mentioned that they'd originally planned to kill Michel off in the first cour, but he turned out to be pretty popular, so his death was put off for a while.

(I thought I might as well make this note since everyone's referring to episode 20 already. IIRC, it's from the commentary for 20: full details then if so.)

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 11:39   Link #663
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Probably because they didn't actually plan to have him around much longer. Kamiya-san (or it could have been the writer) mentioned that they'd originally planned to kill Michel off in the first cour, but he turned out to be pretty popular, so his death was put off for a while.

(I thought I might as well make this note since everyone's referring to episode 20 already. IIRC, it's from the commentary for 20: full details then if so.)
Kawamori also said (in the episode commentary in 2059:Memories that Michael was initially slated to die in the first cour, but he got to live longer because he turned out to be a better character than the staff were expecting.
Old 2010-12-13, 12:51   Link #664
magnuskn

And by the reaction his death got, they were right. But I think they took the easy way out anyway, because actually resolving his romance with Klan would have needed another magic handwave, and they were all out of those when they rescued Sheryl.
Old 2010-12-13, 13:27   Link #665
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I think it would have been better if he did die in the first cour. This way, we could have seen some kind of impact. Whenever characters die at the end, it gets glossed over with the climax of the plot.
Old 2010-12-13, 13:30   Link #666
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Personally i'm glad he died in the second half. Wouldn't be able to handle sad Klan for half the series.
Old 2010-12-13, 15:05   Link #667
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
But I think they took the easy way out anyway, because actually resolving his romance with Klan would have needed another magic handwave
I really don't see why. Care to elaborate?
I mean, it's not like they couldn't resolve whatever was actually troubling them by themselves or with a little help, was it?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 15:33   Link #668
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I mean, it's not like they couldn't resolve whatever was actually troubling them by themselves or with a little help, was it?
All of the drama and back story they touched on would have required a couple of episodes to be properly fleshed out.

I smell an AU OVA about this...
Old 2010-12-13, 18:08   Link #669
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Well, there seemed to be no cure for Klans loli micronizing problem and, from what Yot-Chan said, IIRC, Michael conveniently had a genetic condition that prevented him from macronizing. Which made his comment about Klans genes being clumsy a bit ironic.

Hence we would have gotten an uncomfortable situation if their romance would have gone forward, one way or another. Which I won't elaborate on, since I think everybodies dirty imagination can do the rest for both possible situations.
Old 2010-12-13, 19:50   Link #670
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

If they had said she just gets younger when she micronizes, it'd be fine in a few years.
Old 2010-12-13, 21:01   Link #671
Lancel

Sheryl's flight training is highly glossed over, but there really wasn't time to make her a good pilot from absolutely no flight experience whatsoever. Still, the event of her joining the pilot program was important to what was, for me, the most hilarious moment of the entire series. It just made us all believe it could happen, which made it all the more brilliant.

It would have been nice if she spent the last ten episodes getting up to average pilot level to show her hard work paying off, but I don't think very much time passes between 14 and 25 really, and obviously Sheryl's illness took over as far as plot is concerned which I have to confess is probably the better choice of plotline for all parties involved despite the hand waving at the end, but now I'm really getting ahead of myself with the series and this sentence is becoming exorbitantly long.

This episode touches on why she fails though. Note that we don't see her ever doing any actual training. We see a publicity stunt in a propaganda commercial and Sheryl doing some stretches at home. Next episode shows this even more.
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 21:53   Link #672
ciplasmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Personally i'm glad he died in the second half. Wouldn't be able to handle sad Klan for half the series.
It did not want that it died, but to this point I agree to you.
ciplasmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 22:37   Link #673
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
Sheryl's flight training is highly glossed over, but there really wasn't time to make her a good pilot from absolutely no flight experience whatsoever. Still, the event of her joining the pilot program was important to what was, for me, the most hilarious moment of the entire series. It just made us all believe it could happen, which made it all the more brilliant.

It would have been nice if she spent the last ten episodes getting up to average pilot level to show her hard work paying off, but I don't think very much time passes between 14 and 25 really, and obviously Sheryl's illness took over as far as plot is concerned which I have to confess is probably the better choice of plotline for all parties involved despite the hand waving at the end, but now I'm really getting ahead of myself with the series and this sentence is becoming exorbitantly long.

This episode touches on why she fails though. Note that we don't see her ever doing any actual training. We see a publicity stunt in a propaganda commercial and Sheryl doing some stretches at home. Next episode shows this even more.
Her actual training gets covered on the first drama album, where she insists that it's NOT just a publicity stunt.

The best part is Michael teaching Sheryl how to use the EX-Gear...
Old 2010-12-13, 22:43   Link #674
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
ooh...you've piqued my curiousity...

*wanders off to listen...*

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-12-13, 23:10   Link #675
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
ooh...you've piqued my curiousity...

*wanders off to listen...*
It ain't called "Sheryl's Doki-Doki First Experience" for nothing...
Old 2010-12-14, 04:10   Link #676
magnuskn

Tsk, tsk, I guess Michael really had to try out if she doesn't like womanizers?
Old 2010-12-14, 04:44   Link #677
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
It ain't called "Sheryl's Doki-Doki First Experience" for nothing...
Spoiler for response:

======

edit: well...of course I'll watch the Michel episode ^^

Probably my favourite pic/shot in the series:

Also spotted one thing no one else seems to have mentioned (unless you were waiting for the next episode in order to post it? in which case, m(_ _ )m):

Finally, is it just me, or is this the episode where Alto really started thinking about why he joined SMS? (and this after Sheryl prompted him to think about how he feels about Frontier back in episode 6). That I've just read some parts in the novel dealing with the same material may well be influencing my perception of the development of Alto's character here, but with the hindsight of having seen the series once already, it now seems pretty significant to me...

=====

p.s. the commentary track for episode 10 is up in the link in my signature, if anyone wants a listen during the next week or so.

- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-12-14 at 09:10.
Old 2010-12-14, 11:01   Link #678
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Spoiler for response:

Spoiler for Nyan Dra:
Old 2010-12-14, 13:17   Link #679
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

You guys are making be so jealous right now...
Old 2010-12-14, 15:08   Link #680
Lancel

Quote:
Her actual training gets covered on the first drama album, where she insists that it's NOT just a publicity stunt.

Oooh, nice. At least she took her two-week crash course in flight school seriously, although the crash part is not meant to be taken seriously. Silly girl.
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch