AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2004-12-02, 16:26   Link #1
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Tsukihime

Anyone else looking forward to this? There are around 3.5k pages of text, so the project is huge and the remaining 60% will surely take a good while, but I didn't expect to find anyone serious about translating a game like Tsukihime.

Finding a copy of the game once the project is done might be a problem, though. The demand for the game is huge and I wonder why they don't print more of it. People are paying way over $100 for it in online auctions, and I'm not sure if I could pay that much for any game, no matter how good it is.

Mirror Moon at : www.mirrormoon.org

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2005-12-23 at 01:59.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 17:24   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Anyone who wants to play this will find a copy of the game to patch. One way or another. The biggest concern to me is that I'll finally have to figure out how to make my PC compatible with Japanese. That's something I just haven't had the incentive to learn yet. I'm sure there must be a thread on this forum to help me with it when the time comes, though...

Of course, looking at that site.... while he may have finished translating 38.02% of the dialogue, there are still many other technical challenges for him to overcome. Honestly, many other game translation projects have died after getting this far, so I won't get my hopes up yet.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 17:33   Link #3
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Yay!
Good news.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 20:07   Link #4
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
The biggest concern to me is that I'll finally have to figure out how to make my PC compatible with Japanese. That's something I just haven't had the incentive to learn yet. I'm sure there must be a thread on this forum to help me with it when the time comes, though...
Like this one?

I hope someone finishes translating a game.

Looks like Kanon is the furthest along.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 20:27   Link #5
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

For the love of god, please tell me they will work on a translation of Fate/stay night after Tsukihime is finished!!
Old 2004-12-03, 00:48   Link #6
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Fate is also being translated by another group, at the moment they escape me, originally two groups were doing it, one completed the Demo for the game and conceeded to doing the game to another group since they were further along.

I wonder if I can find that information again....
Old 2004-12-03, 01:47   Link #7
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry
Fate is also being translated by another group, at the moment they escape me, originally two groups were doing it, one completed the Demo for the game and conceeded to doing the game to another group since they were further along.

I wonder if I can find that information again....
Insani were the ones that released the demo and NLA are the ones continuing the translation.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 12:14   Link #8
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzz
Insani were the ones that released the demo and NLA are the ones continuing the translation.
Thank you very much
Old 2004-12-04, 00:07   Link #9
bishounen_blue

Did you guys already buy Fate/Stay Night or are you waiting for the translation to be finished before buying it?
bishounen_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 10:37   Link #10
shadowplay
passive observer

38,02 %
Seeing how it's progressing, they might actually finish it 100% in the next 7-8 months or sooner if they continue like this.
shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 11:16   Link #11
noodles87
There will be a sequel!

Grrrrr!!! The suspense!!! I just can't wait for them to finish translating. I want them now! Lol
noodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 01:01   Link #12
chendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Anyone who wants to play this will find a copy of the game to patch. One way or another. The biggest concern to me is that I'll finally have to figure out how to make my PC compatible with Japanese. That's something I just haven't had the incentive to learn yet. I'm sure there must be a thread on this forum to help me with it when the time comes, though...

Of course, looking at that site.... while he may have finished translating 38.02% of the dialogue, there are still many other technical challenges for him to overcome. Honestly, many other game translation projects have died after getting this far, so I won't get my hopes up yet.
Well, 'them', not 'he', as we have three translators (need more, hint hint), and at least 4 active proofreaders/editors.

We've fixed a fair bit of the technical issues, like actually running the game with the translated text by using an open-source version of NScripter named ONScripter. Since the project was started, I submitted some patches that were integrated into the project, allowing for single-byte text to be shown correctly. ONScripter runs on Windows, Linux and Mac, so most people should be able to play it. There are even Zaurus conversion programs to play on your Zaurus.

Menu editing has been handed off to dmpk2k, and most of it is done, I think.

Insertion is going to be the biggest pain in the ass, since I didn't plan too well in the beginning and there is no way we can do machine insertion with the current scripts.

In case anyone asks, it is not possible to use your Japanese savegames with the patched version, due to the way NScripter 'saves' games. Unless someones writes a converter in the future, old savegames will not work.

43.02% as of now. And yes, NLA is working on Fate/Stay Night. We might share notes on translating specific phrases and terminology in the future for consistancy, though. We also plan to work on Kagetsu Tohya and the PLUS pack (I think) after we finish Tsukihime, which won't be for a while. And then maybe finishing off Melty Blood >_>

So, yeah. Any questions, either email me at chendo AT NOSPAMKTHXgmail dot com or drop by the IRC channel on #revolve@irc.irchighway.net. I'm actually overseas right now, but I VNC back to my computer from time to time, but your best bet now is by email.

So long, and thanks for your support

EDIT: I forgot to say how to make your PC compatible with Japanese.
(Assuming you're running XP)
Go to Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Language tab, then check the box for "Install files for East Asian languages" and then click Apply. You may require your Windows CD. Then go to Advanced, and change the Language for non-Unicode programs to Japanese, click Apply, and I think you require a restart.

Of course, this has the annoying effect of changing all backslashes to yen signs, but you can play Japanese games. Worth the annoyance? I think so

Last edited by chendo; 2004-12-29 at 01:16. Reason: Forgot something
chendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 20:21   Link #13
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chendo
There are even Zaurus conversion programs to play on your Zaurus.
Cool, I just bought a Zaurus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chendo
Of course, this has the annoying effect of changing all backslashes to yen signs, but you can play Japanese games. Worth the annoyance? I think so
I have had one or two installers that assumed I wanted Japanese text in the installer. That's the only other side effect I've seen with Windows set to Japanese. But it's not even worth rebooting to put it back to English to get around that.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 20:23   Link #14
noodles87
There will be a sequel!

Yepeee!! Almost 50%!!!! If you still need translators from Japan that is fluent enough with English, I can ask one of my friends that goes to some high school in Tokyo. I can't wait!!!
noodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 21:18   Link #15
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Cool, I just bought a Zaurus.

I have had one or two installers that assumed I wanted Japanese text in the installer. That's the only other side effect I've seen with Windows set to Japanese. But it's not even worth rebooting to put it back to English to get around that.
For me several programs stop working with Japanese as the non-unicode language.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 22:56   Link #16
chendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles87
Yepeee!! Almost 50%!!!! If you still need translators from Japan that is fluent enough with English, I can ask one of my friends that goes to some high school in Tokyo. I can't wait!!!
MOST definitely required. Please ask, ASAP... we are still in dire need of a native speaker so we can figure out all those phrases that require intimate knowledge of the Japanese culture.
chendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 07:50   Link #17
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Ahaha, I was looking for images for fate/stay night that I can use to make avatars/sigs and the like (like the one I have now), and then I, like, stumbled into this "insane underground world of full game translation groups ".

Well, it's no wonder that so many of these games were eventually turned into animes. In these "Graphic Novels", the writing and story are all pretty deep and interesting. I played the demo of fate/stay night from isani.org and man I was impressed: The artworks are beautiful, aside from the characters themselves, the background sceneries are beautiful, presented with photograph CGs, the BGM and especially the SF is done incredibly well as well, during the class scenes, my surround sound system "leaked" out sounds that even fooled me into thinking I was sitting in a room in an actual school. The story is well explained and interesting, and I commend the translators for their translation work on this, I can see that quite a bit of work went into this.

Anyways, I quickly browsed through several japanese sites that covered these games, and found an incredible amount of support for them, in forms of doujin works and whatnots, sometimes it's hard to even tell what the original work is anymore

Well, without going too far off topic, keep up the good work, all you hard working people translating these games, がんばって.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 02:02   Link #18
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Mirror Moon updated their progress just a few days ago. The dialogue is now entirely translated and is being edited so that it will sound like it is spoken by actual people instead of badly programmed robots.

It is 12% edited now, so the we are steadily drawing closer to beta testing.

Everyone put your hands together for Mirror Moon!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 01:20   Link #19
MeganeShounen
Huh?

A funny thought just popped into my head just now.

I wonder if game companies also try to license the "Visual Novel" formats for the series (F/SN, Tsukihime) like what they did with the Anime versions...

*Prays to God that Mirror Moon would be a success and that fans from all over the world would have a perpetual holiday once the English translation's finished*
MeganeShounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 01:49   Link #20
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeShounen
A funny thought just popped into my head just now.

I wonder if game companies also try to license the "Visual Novel" formats for the series (F/SN, Tsukihime) like what they did with the Anime versions...
Likely not.

Unlike anime which is considered more mainstream (though not really), visual novels/ero-ge only represent a small niche in the market. The age range is primarily in between 18-25 due to the adult content thus limiting the margin for profits. Most companies won't touch it since it's pretty risky, especially when you consider that the many of today's ero-ge has one or more loli-ish characters.

Anime is a safer adaptation of many ero-ge. You've probably seen many already. Combining a pre-writtened storyboard and tailoring it to a wider audience is a solid formula many studios have followed to save time and cost in production, and for pre-instilled popularity from the game itself.
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote