AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-28, 13:27   Link #61
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Absolutely NOT! The filler episodes of Aquarion were some of the very best~!

I would be very sad if we didn't have the brilliant lunacy of episode 18, Cosplayer of Soul! I very nearly died laughing from that episode. And that was just one of their great filler episodes.
Meh. There were two points where I started getting sick of the show near to quitting watching it. The first was probably around ep... what, 10? 11? or so. Before the awesom middle arc of the story took up. The second was probably in the late teens before the conclusion.

I don't think anyone minds SOME filler in a series, and yes, it's one (kinda cheap, IMO) way to build characters and backstory, but Aquarion took it a bit too far. It could easily, IMO, been a 12 or 13 ep series with 90-100% of the characterization and depth of plot.

Also, I'm not generally a fan of fanservice, but you can't have a character like Tsugumi in a show and not have more titty shots and such than they did. Fanservice isn't needed, but if you're gonna do it, do it RIGHT.
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 13:40   Link #62
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendiferous
It certainly is an attempt at satire, and some of it is really well done, but a lot of the satire is hidden under auspices of straight-laced seriousness that often put a dampener on the comedic efforts.
I have to agree there, it wasn't a very good attempt at satire in general, it was just WAY too serious and silly at the same time, it just wasn't funny.....and they didn't even get the fanservice right either. It just felt like they tried going one way or another but just couldn't get it right.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 17:37   Link #63
Splendiferous
To Shangrila or Bust!

Quote: Mr Prophet
Quote:
Nadesico was mostly a stab at Macross specifically, so a lot of the humor is really pointed and acute. While Aquarion really goes for the whole genre, mocking a variety of shows, some new, some quite old.
While certainly Macross is a major target, Nadesico has a much broader range than that... The intro movie was an almost point for point take on the Evangelion intro, and the main character goes through Shinji's entire 26 episode internal emotional struggle in about 3 minutes in the first episode as one major jab, just as an example.

Another is the preponderance of Gekiganger, which clearly plays on a whole slew of early Mecha anime.

Anyways, back to Aquarion: Is there any material out there at all right now that points to what the 2nd series might actually be about?
Splendiferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 18:38   Link #64
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
The intro movie was an almost point for point take on the Evangelion intro, and the main character goes through Shinji's entire 26 episode internal emotional struggle in about 3 minutes in the first episode as one major jab, just as an example.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. For one thing, Nadesico aired less than half a year after Evangelion. 8)

If you are looking for a specific parody of Eva, Dual is your thing (it's even almost semi-official!).

As for Aquarion, we don't really know if it's going to be a TV series, OVA or a movie at this point, much less anything about the plot.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 19:23   Link #65
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
Quote: Mr ProphetAnyways, back to Aquarion: Is there any material out there at all right now that points to what the 2nd series might actually be about?
I think I prefer to not know anything and instead be surprised, in this case.
Old 2006-03-29, 02:50   Link #66
neoko

I don't recall aquarion moking stuff, maybe someone can point it out for me.

Although i didn't see how nadesico was mocking macross (since i've only seen mac plus), i sure loved it. Top 5 anime in my list
neoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 11:37   Link #67
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoko
I don't recall aquarion moking stuff, maybe someone can point it out for me.

Although i didn't see how nadesico was mocking macross (since i've only seen mac plus), i sure loved it. Top 5 anime in my list
You'd kinda need to watch the original Macross TV series or the Macross DYRL movie.
Old 2006-03-30, 06:13   Link #68
neoko

Ah right, thanks, guess i wont be seeing the light in aquarion unless i see those shows heh...
neoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 17:03   Link #69
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Thread Necromancy at work. Bwahahahah

Well, it was fun... Sometimes it was serious, sometimes I thought they were just mocking something (those sighs when joining were kinda strange And the fanservice during the join scenes was abundant ) Well, it was a funny ride nonetheless and the ending was pretty interesting, although somewhat bittersweet. Still it was a nice ride. I had fun

Is that 2nd Season talk really true??? Well, what do you know, fun fun
Old 2006-06-11, 17:48   Link #70
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Thread Necromancy at work. Bwahahahah
It's alive! ALIVE!!

Umm, I'll spoiler this since I mention one or two things that are spoilerish, if anyone really cares:

Spoiler:

Well anyway, it was fun to watch, not the greatest series by any means but certainly enjoyable.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 17:50   Link #71
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Yeah, I wouldn't mind hooking up with Rena Well, the animation and the CGs were more than 2 levels ahead of the best F/SN (the CGs in particular were 10 levels better than F/SN's..ugh... CG dragon )

Apollo was kinda getting on my nerves but he was fine at times and he was pretty cool in the last episode

Edit: Here and there.
Old 2006-06-26, 09:03   Link #72
BluWacky
尻の竜

Looks like work on the Aquarion sequel is still progressing:

(stolen from the official Aquarion blog)

The subtitle is "Uragiri no Tsubasa", or "Wings of Betrayal" (as I think the English text says on the picture); while it LOOKS like Apollo and Silvia, the subtitle would suggest it was more likely to be a Apollonius/Celiane story. Guess we'll just have to wait and see!
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 09:45   Link #73
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I hope it's not a prequel. I hate prequels
Old 2006-06-26, 10:31   Link #74
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Yeah me too. I hope it's a Apollo/Silvia story instead. The ending... just wasn't too happy for them, was it?
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 10:35   Link #75
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

^ Yeah, although I can't think how they'll be able to pull a sequel with those two, without it appearing lame. Silvia is ok, but Apollo...
Old 2006-06-26, 11:55   Link #76
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
A serious alternative retelling, anyone?

I'd kill for that one! 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 12:20   Link #77
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

According to the Aquarion Official Blog, the sequel is named Aquarion: Uragiri no Tsubasa (Aquarion: Wings of Betrayal).

Meanwhile, MOON PHASE sustains that the sequel will be a TV series.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 01:18   Link #78
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
A serious alternative retelling, anyone?

I'd kill for that one! 8)
Lol!

Normally I hate retellings, but this is Sousei no Aquarion! It just might be great! Another comedic retelling could be great as well. Or perhaps Aquarion Alternative, done like Futakoi Alternative?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 11:18   Link #79
KBTKaiser

I doubt it's a retelling. With that Assault Aquarion in the back in addition to Assault Vectors flying out, definitely a sequel. However, what kind of betrayal remains to be seen.
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 15:30   Link #80
KBTKaiser

*Topic Necromancy*

new blog entry...and the title's been altered. >>;
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote