AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-04-01, 07:42   Link #1
Oppius
Banned

Muslims in anime?

As I began to watch Gundam 00, I was warned that that show may have misconcepted Islam, as much as any Western shows. Now I watched it and so far I never see such thing. Yeah I know Marina Ismail is the first anime character that was confirmed as a Muslim, even she doesn't look like much, I mean she did wear very sexy oufits in Muslim standard. I also found some hentai Gundam 00 doujins and I don't like what I saw, She(Marina) was no exception to get such "treatment".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Muslim but I lived in a Muslim community. I afraid someday the Japanese government will declare that no Muslim characters in hentai doujins for not to piss the Muslims off, especially those that lived in Japan.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 07:53   Link #2
solomon

For the most part, take any representation of non-japanese characters in anime with a grain of salt, no make that a handful of salt cause they generally make no friggin sense.

Hell techincally their representation of japanese characters make little sense when you think about it, blue hair and orange eyes heh.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 11:49   Link #3
Cinocard

The cultural and religious characteristics of many elements in anime are always way off from reality, not just Muslim.

I don't say that it's right, or wrong, but if it happens to others, why not Muslim? In the end, if we make an exception to just Muslim, it's just radical. Though it's true that for a religion with lots of extremist like Islam, things tend to be worse.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 13:00   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No religion or belief system has any special card to avoid being erroneously characterized or presented cluelessly in an anime.

The Japanese simply love to take elements from other cultures and splash them about in their entertainment. That's how we get sexy nuns, Santa on a crucifix, that opening credits moment in Kemeko DX, incredibly wierd re-interpretations of Shinto or Buddhist elements, etc.

I don't see any reason any religion (or non-religion) should be exempt. The civil response is "Zoinks, that was silly...".
Old 2009-04-01, 13:56   Link #5
Shadow Kira01

I don't think it is a good idea to depict Muslims in doujinshi, even though some Muslims might not mind but most people would not be happy about it. Thus, even without the Japanese government legally banning it, I am sure that the artists of the Doujin Circle won't bother doing something that ends up causing tension in regards to bilateral ties of friendly nations.

If you watch Gundam 00, you would realize that it takes the perspective of the Middle East. Princess Marina Ismail is the anti-war heroine who seeks peace and prosperity for her people, while that the protagonist Setsuna F. Seiei of the Celestial Beings protect her. Thus, it shouldn't have any misconcepted theories in regards to the religion of Islam in any way. Or the least to say, up to the last episode I watched, none of that were present or even slightly mentioned. Perhaps, you can even say that Gundam 00 boosts the morale of the Middle East!
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 16:18   Link #6
Solafighter
Hige

Mh, watch the Cowboy Bebop Movie.

I have no clue, but in 2 scenes, the main char meets a guy, who looks like a Muslim.
Old 2009-04-01, 16:55   Link #7
animeboy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
For the most part, take any representation of non-japanese characters in anime with a grain of salt, no make that a handful of salt cause they generally make no friggin sense.

Hell techincally their representation of japanese characters make little sense when you think about it, blue hair and orange eyes heh.
true that,
I can't think of the last time I've seen a Japanese girl with blonde hair and blue eyes but that's not the point of anime and Islam is a religion not a race.

I think it would be interesting and a huge step forward if some anime series did depict non-Japanese(and Japanese) more a believable light
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 17:02   Link #8
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
I don't think it is a good idea to depict Muslims in doujinshi, even though some Muslims might not mind but most people would not be happy about it.
Why isn't it? There have been plenty of christian characters in doujinshi doing things that I'm sure would be frowned on by pretty much all christian denominations. Why should muslim characters get special treatment?
Old 2009-04-01, 17:43   Link #9
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Why isn't it? There have been plenty of christian characters in doujinshi doing things that I'm sure would be frowned on by pretty much all christian denominations. Why should muslim characters get special treatment?
Because muslims are currently more extremist and are more sensitive to such things, kinda how, you know, women care about their looks more than men so it's not a good idea to make jokes about a woman's looks .
Once that part of the world stabilizes we'll see less of a problem in that regard.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 17:53   Link #10
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
it's funny how you think Muslims are "more extremist"... if you keep thinking like that than you'll keep misunderstanding many things
TubZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 17:56   Link #11
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The older Transformers had various versions of Middle Eastern and probably North African nations (fictional or otherwise) during the mid-1980s. Most were stereotype usage from an American point of view at the time, though not all accounts were bad aside from when they decided to make a at the time Libya parody nation.
Old 2009-04-01, 17:57   Link #12
TubZzz
*IT Support

i'd say that the people who would be most offended by the doujinshi would be those among us who regularly and faithfully practice Islam... also if the character in question were to be clearly depicted as a Muslim in the doujinshi than that would probably offend many other Muslims too
Old 2009-04-01, 18:01   Link #13
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I know what you mean Tubz but you need face the fact that no christian buddhist induist (insert whatever religion here) authority (and i mean a religious authority in the case of muslims it could be an ayatollah) has ever claimed (in the last century at least) that someone from another country should be put to death for being disrespectful to their belief.
Sadly it cannot be said the same for certain muslims. I know that they are not really representative of the whole muslim population, but being the target of death threat from someone who has many followers is a scary thing.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 18:01   Link #14
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

You know when people treat you respectfully and politely and very carefully and they're all extremely nice and stuff...and you fucking hate their guts?

And you want to punch them, kick them, hurt them, do something to relieve you of your frustrations that they're treating you like a walking timebomb you never were?

Yeah.

Now put on that turban thing and enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
I have no clue, but in 2 scenes, the main char meets a guy, who looks like a Muslim.
That guy was probably Sikh.

Ba-da ching.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 19:04   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There is no inherent right not to be "offended" by someone else's opinion and depiction on any topic. There *is* a right not be threatened or harmed for stating one's views.

Don't like something? Make fun of it or roll your eyes. Explain why it is incorrect. Committing violence because someone "disrespected you" is an infantile response guaranteed to get you less respect.

There are wingnuts in almost every religion who go batshit over "disrespect" ... its up to the rest of a religion's adherents to make it clear such wingnuts do not speak for them.
Old 2009-04-01, 19:09   Link #16
escimo
Paparazzi

Getting a bit off topic...

To be honest I do get why some Muslims hold grudge against the west. Doesn't really take a rocket scientist when you open a history book to see where it's coming from. You could start with the crusades and if you can't be bothered to go through all of the rest, just skip to the middle eastern history post WW2.

I'd be pissed.

I don't especially favor any governmental action to give Muslims some special treatment. Can't see how being singled out would serve any real purpose. The most vocal factions represent a very small portion of all Muslim population. Doesn't really take all that much effort to find similar fundamentalism among Christians really. Especially nowadays since 9/11 gave them a "moral right" to hate all Muslims enough to want to kill them. Bush didn't really make things any easier while he was in charge.

What needs to be remembered is that no military entity can survive without an enemy. West especially USA has been it for Muslim extremists and now Muslim world is unfortunately very close to being it to USA and the rest of the western countries. And frankly all of us in the west have been quite easy to hate for quite some while.

Once the bridges between moderate majorities in both sides have been rebuilt the extremists (on both sides) will eventually lose their followers and maybe even disappear.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 19:10   Link #17
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There is no inherent right not to be "offended" by someone else's opinion and depiction on any topic. There *is* a right not be threatened or harmed for stating one's views.

Don't like something? Make fun of it or roll your eyes. Explain why it is incorrect. Committing violence because someone "disrespected you" is an infantile response guaranteed to get you less respect.

There are wingnuts in almost every religion who go batshit over "disrespect" ... its up to the rest of a religion's adherents to make it clear such wingnuts do not speak for them.
Vexx.. that was.. just beautiful.
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 19:14   Link #18
TubZzz
*IT Support

so what your saying is that Muslims are committing violence because people are disrespecting them... i think that's a bit of an overstatement
Old 2009-04-01, 19:15   Link #19
uis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Because Muslim is raise with no such thing like sex before married...
Its a sin and taboo that Muslim never cross it *even some Muslim today ignore religion teaching...*

Anyway Islam is a religion that have most taboo... Jews is second...
I didnt want to see in anime/manga/doujinshi jews and muslim eat pork or doing something extreme that make muslim and jews community mad...

I relief anime culture in my country still underground and not known widely...
Mostly my country populated by Muslim, Muslim community cant tolerate even just naked picture... *yeah that why no such gravure magaine in my country*

Oh well anyway for me it better you all respect all people religion and thought...
Mostly people on war because their didint understand each other... *he he like Naruto lol*

Anyway i am Muslim ^^
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 19:16   Link #20
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
The cultural and religious characteristics of many elements in anime are always way off from reality
Way, waaaaaaay off a lot of times. Anime has a sometimes charming, sometimes way of mucking up different aspects of other cultures.
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote