AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-20, 13:13   Link #501
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
His wife would prob kill him. Those guys can earn $100,000 per year.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...NASA_astronaut
Might be more, due to increase of living expenses'.

They might even go to America and live in that nice community. YES, she gonna murder him!
Old 2012-08-21, 11:19   Link #502
klare

haha have to wait one more eps to know the results...

nice story of Ya-san tho
Old 2012-08-25, 21:47   Link #503
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Is this show taking a week off? Crunchyroll reports that episode 22 will be available to members a week from today.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 23:33   Link #504
Utsuro no Hako

IIRC the show has 48 episodes, so they have four off-weeks they can use.

Oh well, CR finally has Time Traveler (AKA the live action Girl Who Leapt Through Time) available for free members. Go watch that instead -- it's worth it.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 05:24   Link #505
Dop
Mmmm....

What? No Space Brothers this week? Dragging out the suspense of who's been picked another week?
AAaugh!!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 05:26   Link #506
Rahan

anidb also says 22 will come out next week.

Didnt't saw it coming though.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 06:58   Link #507
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
IIRC the show has 48 episodes, so they have four off-weeks they can use.

Oh well, CR finally has Time Traveler (AKA the live action Girl Who Leapt Through Time) available for free members. Go watch that instead -- it's worth it.
Well I am sad about no Uchuu Kyoudai this week, thanks for pointing this movie out. I am watching it now and it's really good so far.
Old 2012-08-26, 07:43   Link #508
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
48 episodes? My body is ready
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 02:11   Link #509
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

I was actually kind of worried that the show would prolong the mystery of who the last astronaut was for another week, but happily that wasn't the case.

I was surprised at the revelation that
Spoiler for revelations:

This week certainly was one where we see that bonds are important, both with the Pod A team and at Houston with Hibito's crewmates.

The fairly realistic relationships are one of this show's biggest strengths, and that came through string this week.

I've always enjoyed the whole mutta eclipse bit in the OP, but I only just noticed that the "Sun" is in the shape of Hibito's hair in contrast. Funny the things you miss, yeah?
Sound of Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 02:25   Link #510
cyth
Banned

Eh, I'm getting a bit weary of this "who gets to go to Houston" sub-arc. The next episode will most likely focus on Kenji and how he's cool with Mutta going there instead of him. I think we understand their feelings quite well by now, they don't need to take a whole episode to explain. All in all, they could've wrapped up the third exam arc a bit faster.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 06:12   Link #511
ookamigirl

So we finally found out the 2 winners of the trip to Houston.
Nitta and Serika were the lucky ones.
I was kinda expecting Mutta to be one of them, but...oh, well.
It was a nice reunion.
Seeing Hibito again was nice too. It's been a while.
I'm glad they added another invite for Mutta.
It's about time he finally becomes an astronaut.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 08:28   Link #512
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

darn, I really wish Mutta and Kenji will go to Houston together instead of that cocky bastard from group B

Serika's expression in this episode is so sweet

not to forget her joyful self in the next episode preview
Old 2012-09-02, 09:47   Link #513
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
darn, I really wish Mutta and Kenji will go to Houston together instead of that cocky bastard from group B
I agree. I was really pissed when we found out that fucker got in. Wouldn't his shitty personality be a problem in space anyway?
Old 2012-09-02, 09:52   Link #514
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I agree. I was really pissed when we found out that fucker got in. Wouldn't his shitty personality be a problem in space anyway?
Obviously he will be there to add conflict but I am also wondering if he will be developed in subsequent episodes.

I am sure there is more to his character than we've seen so far. At least I hope.
Old 2012-09-02, 12:08   Link #515
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Obviously he will be there to add conflict but I am also wondering if he will be developed in subsequent episodes.

I am sure there is more to his character than we've seen so far. At least I hope.
Yeah. I thought at first, for example, that Fukuda was a plant by JAXA just to be shit-disturber, but look how he turned out. I'm sure we'll see more of the others now that it's physically possible for Mutta to encounter them.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 12:42   Link #516
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It really does suck that the duo of Mutta/Kenji have to split up while that B group jerk makes it in. I'd throw that guy out an airlock the first chance given.
Old 2012-09-02, 13:14   Link #517
Kirarakim

I am going to miss Kenji, Fukuda, and Furuya: 3 characters I've really grown to care about.

It seems they will no longer be in the story but of course we don't know if that is true. They might all play a role in the story later.
Old 2012-09-02, 13:40   Link #518
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

"Rocky 12: Kangaroo vs. Gorilla"
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 15:49   Link #519
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Various random thoughts on this episode:

I wonder how many of the men who were passed over thought it was all due to "affirmative action" or public relations?

When Mutta was sitting at the playground and wondering what he should be doing, I couldn't help but yell at him to ask Serika out already!

This episode helps explain why Serika looked so sad when they left the pod two episodes ago. She was probably having the same sense of regret for her teammates that were passed over as she did in the restaurant.

What the hell is Spanish yakisoba? Is this some dish invented by Japanese expats living in places like Peru?

Mutta's characterization of himself and Fukuda as unemployed seemed rather a writer's ploy considering that Mutta knew he had been selected.

Maybe Kenji will end up piloting that commercial ship that Fukuda will be designing.

Every time I watch the OP I'm reminded of the time I saw a near-total solar eclipse in 1970. It was quite a weird and extraordinary event to witness. The light and color of everything changed, and the birds and animals got quite nervous. It was worth the couple hours drive to the outer shores of Cape Cod where the eclipse reached 99% of totality.

Earlier today I read Tom Friedman's column in the New York Times where he spins his usual concerns about America's uncertain technological future. He wrote wistfully about the Apollo program and decried the absence of vision among America's current political leaders. I thought about that column again while watching this episode. The Japanese have hardly had the most robust of economies over the past decade or so, yet here they are still running television programs about the excitement of space travel. While we have the occasional Star Trek, shows like those are set so far into the future that they are simply fantasies. What we do not have, at least as I far as I can see, are more realistic shows about actual space flight like this one. But then half our populace chooses magical thinking over science, so that probably limits the appeal of shows like Uchuu Kyoudai.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 18:30   Link #520
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The Japanese have hardly had the most robust of economies over the past decade or so, yet here they are still running television programs about the excitement of space travel. While we have the occasional Star Trek, shows like those are set so far into the future that they are simply fantasies. What we do not have, at least as I far as I can see, are more realistic shows about actual space flight like this one.
The first Japanese citizen in space was a middle-aged, chain-smoking journalist named Toyohiro Akiyama. He spent a week on the Mir space station, and is best remembered by the Russian space agency for having the worst case of space sickness they had ever seen. And yet, if you compare the way space and space travel are depicted in Japanese and American popular media, you'd think that Japan was the country that had gone to the moon and the USA was the country whose first space traveler was the barfing guy.

I've explored this point in talks I've given about one of my books. I last gave this talk - which I call "Literary Resources for Teaching Math and Science" - about a month ago during a conference at Cal State Los Angeles, and Space Brothers was one of the examples I used.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, seinen