AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 19
10 out of 10 : Nearly Perfect... 30 28.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 37 34.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 21 19.81%
7 out of 10 : Good... 8 7.55%
6 out of 10 : Average... 6 5.66%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.94%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 2 1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-11-11, 00:25   Link #121
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
I disagree, but that's a matter of perspective, I guess.

I don't remember it that way, but it sounds convenient to keep the "story" going on in-game, instead of IRL, which would sell less.

Sorry, but I can not avoid meta-thinking events, saving 2,000 lives from a demented genius who sold his soul in a corporation, sounds like the perfect ticket for bringing down a corrupt pedophile, and if doesn't work with the father, the policies, or the antagonists, it would certainly sell to tabloids, which have published even more absurd crap in our contemporary real world
You are acting like Kirito knows everything that the audience knows. He doesn't, and he is also only 16 years old ontop of it. That's half of our age Malkuth. He is going on the only clue he has, the only way he can find out what happened to Asuna.

He can't go to the police. He can't go to her father. He can't go to the tabloids. It would do more harm for him than good. And even if he did, there's a good chance it would just make rape-pants brainwash her as a last ditch desperation effort.
Old 2012-11-11, 00:32   Link #122
Sixth
Hu Tao

Is those players are a little bit serious about MMORPG, especially about the politic?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 00:43   Link #123
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Yeah, best episode of ALO!!!! I've never felt and seen something this incredible since the last boss fight back in SAO! Kirito you rock the house!!! Yeah!!! Excellent!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 00:48   Link #124
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
You are acting like Kirito knows everything that the audience knows. He doesn't, and he is also only 16 years old ontop of it. That's half of our age Malkuth. He is going on the only clue he has, the only way he can find out what happened to Asuna.

He can't go to the police. He can't go to her father. He can't go to the tabloids. It would do more harm for him than good. And even if he did, there's a good chance it would just make rape-pants brainwash her as a last ditch desperation effort.
Good point, yet I disagree (in-universe for this one), he did show more balls in the first arc, yet now instead of even trying to save his damsel in distress in game, he is frolicly flirting with his sister

As for the age argument, he is already 16, he can have kids anytime if not careful, he must behave more maturely... reality does not wait human laws
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 00:53   Link #125
Vsin
Aldracity

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Is those players are a little bit serious about MMORPG, especially about the politic?
EVE Online. Those guys tear each other to shreds on an hourly basis. Heck, it's probably the one game where in-game scamming is halfway encouraged.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 00:59   Link #126
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
As for the age argument, he is already 16, he can have kids anytime if not careful, he must behave more maturely... reality does not wait human laws
Agree. It's something to be glad and worried by parents at the same time.
Old 2012-11-11, 01:00   Link #127
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Sorry, but I can not avoid meta-thinking events, saving 2,000 lives from a demented genius who sold his soul in a corporation, sounds like the perfect ticket for bringing down a corrupt pedophile, and if doesn't work with the father, the policies, or the antagonists, it would certainly sell to tabloids, which have published even more absurd crap in our contemporary real world
...What happened in SAO is not discussed with anyone. He didn't even tell his nickname to his own sister, nor did she even know that he double-wielded swords. He has no "ticket" -- he can claim whatever he wants, but he has no fame and no repute. Only a few people who were in SAO and know him know anything about him, and they're trying their best to rehabilitate and move on. You really think him going public with what he knows now about Sugou (basically nothing) is going to do anything to help Asuna? Besides, he's not a "pedophile" -- he's going to be adopted into the Yuuki family and is (still) promised to be married to Asuna should she ever recover (and the marriage would require her agreement). There's nothing illegal about any of this. Even Asuna's own father will vouch for him. What evidence does Kazuto have that Sugou is "corrupt"?

Kazuto's current plan is obviously a long shot (he's entered the game based on a single fuzzy picture of a lookalike), but he has to work within the constraints that have been established. None of the other options you've outlined are more likely to succeed.
Old 2012-11-11, 01:22   Link #128
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I love the way the words scroll when they're casting the spells. I like this magic stuff a lot more than swords. Too bad Kirito is still just swinging his sword around.
Yeah, those little scrolling words were awesome. The whole magic system reminds me of Eternal Darkness. Assembling little phrases.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 01:23   Link #129
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i thought when she said illusions, we were going to get after images. sorely disappointed. the politics makes this an interesting arc. they're going pretty deep into the race divisions, so its fairly obvious the solution to the problems is to mend the race relations then go through yggdrasil all together.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 01:26   Link #130
harunoko

... So in episode 18, Asuna had saw the numbers to the keypad.

So, why wasn`t there any indication of Asuna escaping?

There was no sign of Asuna in this episode. It didn`t show much about Kirito`s quest.
xD I`m all for Kirito x Asuna. TT_TT But I do love Sugu/Lyfa, so no hard feelings. Haha.
And I absolutely hate the perv who`s trying to marry Asuna. Totally forgot his name. (Not on purpose!)
Anyways, I love SAO!

Just because someone tells me that things won`t happen the way I want them to, it doesn`t mean I`m going to give up.
harunoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 01:28   Link #131
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by harunoko View Post

There was no sign of Asuna in this episode. It didn`t show much about Kirito`s quest.

xD I`m all for Kirito x Asuna. TT_TT But I do love Sugu/Lyfa, so no hard feelings. Haha.
And I absolutely hate the perv who`s trying to marry Asuna. Totally forgot his name. (Not on purpose!)
Anyways, I love SAO!

Be patient.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 01:29   Link #132
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harunoko View Post

Even if she escaped, where is she going to go that's outside of the view of the GM anyway? Being able to run away is pretty pointless on its own; she'd need some sort of plan beyond just getting out of the cage.
Old 2012-11-11, 01:35   Link #133
eplipswich
The Anime Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I see "Leefa" was used for the spelling of her name, again. I'm beginning to wonder if the subs are incorrect.
You know how Japanese "Engrish" are never perfect. Already we saw a couple of "Engrish" errors made in the anime. Like in Episode 14, where it's put as "Chaged into Immortal Object". Can't really trust the Engrish too much in animes...

That said, "Leafa" is a better word than "Leefa" to me.

Anyway, I love the battle scene in this episode. Especially when Kirito transformed into a monster and basically wreaked havoc, even though it's supposed to be "illusion magic"

I only watch highly recommended animes ~ ~
eplipswich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 01:39   Link #134
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Agree. It's something to be glad and worried by parents at the same time.
IMHO, both in anime and IRL parents must take better care of their children instead of blaming everyone but themselves when something goes wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
...What happened in SAO is not discussed with anyone. He didn't even tell his nickname to his own sister, nor did she even know that he double-wielded swords. He has no "ticket" -- he can claim whatever he wants, but he has no fame and no repute. Only a few people who were in SAO and know him know anything about him, and they're trying their best to rehabilitate and move on. You really think him going public with what he knows now about Sugou (basically nothing) is going to do anything to help Asuna? Besides, he's not a "pedophile" -- he's going to be adopted into the Yuuki family and is (still) promised to be married to Asuna should she ever recover (and the marriage would require her agreement). There's nothing illegal about any of this. Even Asuna's own father will vouch for him. What evidence does Kazuto have that Sugou is "corrupt"?

Kazuto's current plan is obviously a long shot (he's entered the game based on a single fuzzy picture of a lookalike), but he has to work within the constraints that have been established. None of the other options you've outlined are more likely to succeed.
As I wrote, Kirito already (ab-)used his SAO-fame to violate private information through official channels. As for Suguha and Kirito, I can not comprehend, how they are playing the same game together and are all flirty with each other... dunno beats me...

In any case, SAO is not a franchise meant to be taken seriously, so as with Horizon, I probably should leave fans enjoy it (before flaming me), without thinking too rationally about it
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 01:49   Link #135
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
IMHO, both in anime and IRL parents must take better care of their children instead of blaming everyone but themselves when something goes wrong
Well, not complete agree with that now. Yes, parents are at fault most of the time... but the children ain't excuse...IMHO
Old 2012-11-11, 01:54   Link #136
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
As I wrote, Kirito already (ab-)used his SAO-fame to violate private information through official channels.
So? Even if he could play that card again, he has nothing but a baseless suspicion. He should just bring his suspicion to the cops and wait for them to maybe or maybe not do something about it? How is that better?

Quote:
As for Suguha and Kirito, I can not comprehend, how they are playing the same game together and are all flirty with each other... dunno beats me...
They don't know who each other are. And I don't think Kazuto is intending to be "flirty" -- he's just trying to be friendly, which isn't really anything new to him and useful when partying with someone.
Old 2012-11-11, 01:54   Link #137
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

Huh. I know the issue's already been concluded here, but just read an interpretation of the illusion thing on another forum (From a non-novel reader) that suddenly made more sense to me than anything I read before.

Basically the idea that it really IS an illusion. Kirito didn't transform into anything - The bits where we see him as a demon tossing people about or chomping down... are also illusions. The spell just makes it look like it happened that way to everyone else, and the audience sees it that way too.

Underneath it he's probably just hacking away merrily with his sword because the illusion creates the openings he needs to OHKO. And then of course lies about it all afterwords to make it look cool.
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 02:01   Link #138
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroboro View Post
Basically the idea that it really IS an illusion. Kirito didn't transform into anything - The bits where we see him as a demon tossing people about or chomping down... are also illusions. The spell just makes it look like it happened that way to everyone else, and the audience sees it that way too.

Underneath it he's probably just hacking away merrily with his sword because the illusion creates the openings he needs to OHKO. And then of course lies about it all afterwords to make it look cool.
What reason would the programmed illusion have to not include the sword if he's really using a sword anyway? How would Kirito know what his own illusion looked like such that he could lie about it in a way that was consistent with what Leafa actually saw? Why wouldn't he boast about how cool the illusion was rather than "making up" what he just did?

It's an interesting theory, but I think it doesn't really hold up.
Old 2012-11-11, 02:13   Link #139
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

Something like "If you kill someone while the illusion is active, the game shows it happening differently as a sort of cut-scene death animation"

Presumably then Kirito would've been regular sized with the same hitbox, but covered up by the illusion. (And able to see what the illusion was doing, if at an awkward angle.)

I guess it reaches a bit into the territory of "Baseless speculation", though, with little in-show evidence to support it. I still like it though.
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 02:20   Link #140
Clarste
Human

I think it's more likely that he himself was also experiencing the illusion. But all the positional and damage calculations were based on his equipment. IE: he doesn't feel like he's holding a sword but the game treats it as if he is.

I suppose at that point you have to ask "exactly what part of that is an illusion if everyone involved sees it the same way and the results are the same?' Well, it's just a video game. No one was around to cast "True Sight" or whatever. I think way too many people think of it like a fantasy setting that actually exists in some sense. Arguably, the whole NerveGear technology works entirely through illusion. Ultimately all he did was break their formation.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote