AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-12-20, 07:50   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 889 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Time for those Christmas spoilers! Credit goes to AP's Sandman for the info:

-Chapter title is "Unknown Mama". Splash ministory involves Leo and the Tontattas becoming pirates.

-An enraged Daifuku summons his genie, which Carrot fights against! During the battle, Carrot dodges an attack from the djinn that ends up destroying half of Daifuku's fleet! Jinbei explains that a mink's wild instincts are awoken when they gaze upon the full moon. However, without proper self-control, they'll end up overexerting themselves through a night of constant fighting! Hearing this, Brooke decides to help Carrot, and rushes out to sea to support her.

-Meanwhile, something odd is up with Big Mom. Eight hours have passed since she started going berserk, and her body keeps getting thinner and thinner. Nonetheless, Napoleon (her living hat) summons Zeus and Prometheus on her orders. Meanwhile, on Capone's ship, Sanji and Capone are arguing. Since the cake is intended for Big Mom's consumption, Capone wants to fill it with poison and explosives! Sanji naturally objects since he doesn't like having his cooking tampered with. What he does instead is allow the mafioso pirate to taste the cake's cream.... which causes Capone to pass out in bliss.

-Back out at sea, Daifuku's forces are unable to steer their ships thanks to Carrot's fight with the genie. Speaking of the young mink, she begins to tire out from fighting in the Ceylon form for too long, but it's at this point that Brooke arrives to help! He asks her how she can turn back to normal, to which she answers he just needs to cover her eyes. Meanwhile, Zeus and Prometheus finally return to Big Mom's side, while Perospero separates from her. Prometheus merges with her hair, while Napoleon turns into a sword once more. The crazed, fiery-haired Big Mom then hops on Zeus, and makes an impromptu landing on the Sunny! As everyone looks on in shock, Jinbei yells for everyone to abandon ship....!!!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2017-12-22 at 15:34.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-20, 11:55   Link #2
The Small One

Sounds interessting. Especially the getting thinner part.
I wonder what would happen, if Big Mom didn't get what she craves for. Maybe she would get thinner until she died. In this case the better tactics for the SH would have been to not prepare this cake for her.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-20, 14:39   Link #3
Rainbowman

If that cake cream knocked out Capone, it just might work on Big Mom. I wonder if Capone will kill Big Mom once she is passed out?
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-20, 17:06   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Now that is quite the cliffhanger. Abandon ship? No way, Jinbe!
Old 2017-12-20, 17:11   Link #5
necrolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
If that cake cream knocked out Capone, it just might work on Big Mom. I wonder if Capone will kill Big Mom once she is passed out?
Even if she passes out I don't think her crew will just stay quiet while Capone is trying to kill her

On another note the most interesting thing for me in this chapter is that Jinbei told everyone to abandon the ship which would never happen if Luffy have a saying in it(fortunately he is not there now). I think someone(probably Sanji) will arive at the right moment to stop BM from destroying Sunny cuz it is way too important for the crew to be destroyed.

Last edited by necrolyte; 2017-12-20 at 17:13. Reason: Quoted Rainbowman comment
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-22, 02:03   Link #6
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Oh, sunny took more damage and i think Franky is not going to like it that much..
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-22, 15:39   Link #7
marvelB

Well, not much to comment on outside of what was already in the summary.... though I gotta say, the thinner Big Mom looks quite fearsome indeed with the living sword and fire-hair. If she continues to lose weight, I kinda wonder if she'll start resembling her younger (prettier) self? As for how to deal with her until the cake arrives.... well, we haven't heard from Germa in a few chapters, so maybe this is their time to enter the stage....?
Old 2017-12-22, 15:50   Link #8
The Small One

What "prettier" self do you mean? When looking back to the flashbacks (ch. 866–), she basically always looked the same.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-22, 16:05   Link #9
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post

What "prettier" self do you mean? When looking back to the flashbacks (ch. 866–), she basically always looked the same.
I'm referring to this (from the volume 86 SBS):

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

^As you can see, her appearance in her younger adult years are quite a large departure compared to how she looks now. In fact, we even saw a glimpse of Linlin's younger self just a couple chapters back, in Pound's brief flashback. I'm just curious if her weight loss will make her revert to how she looked at 28 years old, is all....
Old 2017-12-23, 15:54   Link #10
P_Dezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I'm referring to this (from the volume 86 SBS):

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

^As you can see, her appearance in her younger adult years are quite a large departure compared to how she looks now. In fact, we even saw a glimpse of Linlin's younger self just a couple chapters back, in Pound's brief flashback. I'm just curious if her weight loss will make her revert to how she looked at 28 years old, is all....
an attractive woman that can literally rip your arm off and feed it to you, is a pretty horrifying thought. wonder at what age she achieved the Yonko status probably in her 20's considering how strong she is. they should do more flashbacks of BM from now on, since arc is about to end.
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-25, 14:15   Link #11
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

no way, jinbei...
Abandoning Going Merry already costed bunch of tears from SW members and fans... there is no way we could bear to see burned or crushed Thousand Sunny
but to be fair, this is the first time Thousand Sunny might be damaged for real

Carrot is a real deal.. Although it is too bad that her Sulong's form only lasted for few minutes
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-25, 16:10   Link #12
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 889
That was not a bad chapter. To be truthful that last couple chapters haven't been bad. The battle is moving
along very nicely. Has for the Big Mama she is wearing herself out and she will be defeated in this arch.

Big Mama's Crew
Big mama is her own worst enemy, has for the big mama crew they are going to have to realize the further she goes
down this path the weaker and more uncontrolable she will be. Second what they don't know is if she gets a taste of
Sanji's cooking how will they ever in the future beable to control her? Big Mama's taste standards will be higher
and I don't think there is anyone in the crew that could cook better then Sanji. So how will they beable to bring
her out of this food rage in the future if Sanji's cooking becomes the only thing that can bring her out of her
food obsession?

Sanji's Victory
All Sanji has to do is give her a taste of the cake and not the whole thing. Once that happens she will crave more
and be totally out of control, to a point were she will kill her own crew. Now Big Mama's crew will have to join
Straw Hats(and the alliance) in killing her. Why? For the obvious reason that it will be either them or Big Mama. I
don't see Big Mama agreeing to forgive the Straw Hats when she gets back to her senses. Her pride has a Yonkou
won't allow it, the fact that they tried to kill her, and put her into this rage in the first place.

Patterns
So far we have seen in the two year timeskip one thing, there is a limit to haki. Example Luffy's Gear 4 uses up
all his armor haki, Dog tooth proved if you lose your calm you lose the full potential of Mantra haki, Rayleigh
stated in order to make your haki strongeryou have to surpass somone stronger then you. My prediction is Big Mama
is burning up way too much energy(her fat) and haki in this food obession state. She will lose control of her haki
allowing for vunrablility (what capone wanted during his own assination attempt).
grey_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote