AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-11, 02:51   Link #41
cynicalicious
I like pie.

The website says the airdate is "Spring 2010" for now. As for the artwork, it looks fine so far. Manga to anime doesn't always go as smoothly as readers wish it to.
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 03:50   Link #42
Sol Falling

Yeah, not a fan of J.C. Staff. And the key visual...the art doesn't seem to have a chance at matching the sheer hawtness of the manga. And Tomokazu Sugita as Usui...I haven't actually heard the drama CD, but it doesn't seem right. Usui is a quiet guy. I haven't watched all that much stuff with Sugita in it, but 'subdued' is nowhere near what I'd associate with him. (No comments on any other voices 'cause I haven't got a hope in hell of even recognizing them.)

Basically, I'm getting the vibe for yet another adaptation of fail before I've even seen anything. Undoubtedly I'll watch it anyway on the strength of the core manga content. I don't actually care so much about how the comedy translates, but I don't think I can name one anime with some decently executed emotional attraction. Like, emotionally sexy romance. But the manga just excels at this, and is probably my favourite shoujo manga for it, so while my expectations are set very very low, I would be soooo happy if this anime can actually properly express that tension.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 20:04   Link #43
kirapika
Oh-so crazy~?

Ugghhh. This is just what I expected. Shoujo manga art that is somewhat complicated always get done wrong in anime. Sheesh, though I really love the concept I doubt I'll enjoy the anime as much as I do for the manga. Usui isn't just hawttt enough and Misaki.. Oh god, I don't know what to say. D:
kirapika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-12, 08:36   Link #44
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I thought the character designs are fine. Shoujo manga style is never never never going to work out well in animated form. The original artwork of Kaichou wa Maid-sama isn't great, it's okay but definitely not my list of 'I'll read this because it has pretty art'. Usui and Misaki animated style looks much better then Special A. I rather have simpler art style and higher frame rate. To me it looks too detailed for high frame rate already.

For example, compare Ouran manga and anime art style. It's different, but the anime ended up great. The newest angelique season had really pretty artstyle, but the anime was medicore.

J.C staff is ony my list of 'prefered' animation studio, there's alot worst ones. Such as Artland, Yumeta or Studio DEEN, who never produced anything I thought that's good. At least J.C Staff have made something I liked, such as Daa! Daa! Daa!, Toradora and Nodame Cantabile.
Old 2009-12-12, 12:09   Link #45
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

OMG! This is awesome! I so want to see Usui animated...and his cheeky personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
I knew this would happen eventually, thought Dengeki Daisy would get adapted first though.
I so wish they would make an anime of Dengeki Daisy...soon? *crosses finger*

It seems that there will be quite a line-up of bishie-filled animes coming in 2010... ...now if they would animate Dengeki Daisy as well, it'll be perrrfect.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-12, 12:53   Link #46
Sol Falling

Didn't Artland do Mushishi? One of the only manga adaptations that I think actually lives up to its original. Although Mushishi's core content is tremendously removed from Maid-sama.

Anyway, on the key visual again, (...I think) it's not so much the style or simplicity and more just the general competence. It's just kinda ugly. Misaka's features are too curved (the mouth; the nose; the eyelashes; the facial structure. It all sucks.). Usui is less glaringly disproportionate, but it's basically the same there too (too curved). Also, the eyes look wrong for both of them (a bit too big), though in Usui's case it's probably mostly because of his facial structure. In Misaki's case they're also too round.

The lack of straight angles is basically the real issue with the art all around. The manga's art is angled (eyes especially) and flat. It's very solid and defined. The anime's key visual is just too curvy and pointy. I'd actually say that criticism even extends to the hair, although a bit of curviness there is inevitable. I don't think this is really an issue of 'simplicity' or 'shoujo style', though, it's just poor, ugly art that I hope isn't reflective of the actual anime. It's not like you can't have strong/defined flat lines in an anime.

Though to J.C. Staff's credit, they do usually have decent animation and I've never actually seen something this ugly from them before, so maybe it might not actually be that terrible (still won't live up to the manga though imo). Actually my disappointment that it was J.C. Staff had more to do with their somewhat uniformly mediocre directing, but hey, maybe they'll surprise me.
Old 2009-12-12, 13:07   Link #47
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Didn't Artland do Mushishi?
You're looking at an exception. Artland's work is generally of poor quality.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-12, 16:32   Link #48
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Didn't Artland do Mushishi? One of the only manga adaptations that I think actually lives up to its original. Although Mushishi's core content is tremendously removed from Maid-sama.

Anyway, on the key visual again, (...I think) it's not so much the style or simplicity and more just the general competence. It's just kinda ugly. Misaka's features are too curved (the mouth; the nose; the eyelashes; the facial structure. It all sucks.). Usui is less glaringly disproportionate, but it's basically the same there too (too curved). Also, the eyes look wrong for both of them (a bit too big), though in Usui's case it's probably mostly because of his facial structure. In Misaki's case they're also too round.

The lack of straight angles is basically the real issue with the art all around. The manga's art is angled (eyes especially) and flat. It's very solid and defined. The anime's key visual is just too curvy and pointy. I'd actually say that criticism even extends to the hair, although a bit of curviness there is inevitable. I don't think this is really an issue of 'simplicity' or 'shoujo style', though, it's just poor, ugly art that I hope isn't reflective of the actual anime. It's not like you can't have strong/defined flat lines in an anime.

Though to J.C. Staff's credit, they do usually have decent animation and I've never actually seen something this ugly from them before, so maybe it might not actually be that terrible (still won't live up to the manga though imo). Actually my disappointment that it was J.C. Staff had more to do with their somewhat uniformly mediocre directing, but hey, maybe they'll surprise me.
I haven't see Mushishi, I have only heard good things about it. But everything else I seen from Artland was...crap.

This art style is much better then Special A, so I'm not complaining. Considering how bad it could have been (or maybe I'm just too used to the difference between the manga and the anime style of Reborn). But from all the description you wrote, it sounds like J.C staff just moe-fied the art style .

Everyone really seem to dislike the adaption up to now. For me, it just looks like a medicore adaption, which was exactly what I'm expecting. The director is already better then I expected, he directed Kodocha and Daa! Daa! Daa!, which are both hilarious. He also did Winter Garden, which was adorable. I don't think the anime would turn out to be horrible, it just wouldn't be amazing.
Old 2009-12-12, 17:11   Link #49
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Freaking out over a few sketches is waaay too premature. At least wait for the trailer to come out first before panicking.

Or just do what I do: always come in with low expectations, and then you'll never be disappointed. To top it off, every season will be filled with a few pleasant surprises.

There are always all sorts of problems when a manga goes anime: the art (it can never quiiite look the same), the VAs (they don't always match up to our expectations when animated), and the plot (they don't always follow the manga). That's just how it goes. We've all gone down this road many times before, so we should all know the drill by now.

Heck, we shouldn't even have to say what our complaints are- we can just say #1 for art, #2 for VA, and #3 for plot. It'd save some bandwidth.
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-12, 18:21   Link #50
Westlo
Lets be reality

Artland really spent a lot of money on freelancers to help animate Mushishi, it's even animated in 2s instead of 3s like nearly every other tv anime series. It is definitely the exception when it comes to Artland works.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 23:34   Link #51
the_firefly

Looks like we have a cast:

Ayumi Fujimura - Misaki (I love her but she's no Sanae Kobayashi)
Nobuhiko Okamoto - Usui
Hiromi Igarashi - Aoi
Aki Toyosaki - Satsuki (DEFINITELY no Rie Tanaka)
Kana Asumi - Honoka
Kana Ueda - Subaru
Mariya Ise - Erika

Source: http://i50.tinypic.com/nbrd06.jpg

I'm having mixed feelings about these choices, :/
the_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 23:41   Link #52
hoofy

Ah, Seiken no Blacksmith season 2 ...

I was willing to look past the art differences ... but this ...

(of course, I'm excited to see it adapted anyways )
hoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 00:06   Link #53
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_firefly View Post
Looks like we have a cast:

Ayumi Fujimura - Misaki (I love her but she's no Sanae Kobayashi)
Nobuhiko Okamoto - Usui
Hiromi Igarashi - Aoi
Aki Toyosaki - Satsuki (DEFINITELY no Rie Tanaka)
Kana Asumi - Honoka
Kana Ueda - Subaru
Mariya Ise - Erika

Source: http://i50.tinypic.com/nbrd06.jpg

I'm having mixed feelings about these choices, :/
Why? Why? WHY????!!!!!
Why did they change Usui & Misaki VA's from the Drama CD!!??
Old 2010-01-22, 12:39   Link #54
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

A promo trailer with animation is out!
http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/maidsama/
Old 2010-01-22, 14:19   Link #55
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
It's nothing spectacular, but it looks to be okay. Honestly I'm kinda uninterested in watching this as it reminds me of Special A, yet strangely, i've never watched Special A specifically because I was reading the KwMS manga and found it to be too similar. if that makes any sense.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 14:33   Link #56
LKK

Quote:
Poo. No dialogue. No chance to hear what the actors sound like. (I need to hunt down the cast list. I'm sure it's been posted in this thread somewhere.)

Edit: Found the list. I should have looked before I posted.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 14:41   Link #57
Kunagisa

Quote:
I'm kinda happy Misaki's face doesn't look as retarded when animated as the picture on the same page.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 18:34   Link #58
gonzo562

i think Ayumi Fujimura will do a great job voicing misaki

I thought she did a great job a Cecily Cambell in Seiken no Blacksmith and Azaka Kokuto in Kara no Kyoukai
Her voice is cute.
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 19:14   Link #59
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Gotta say I really don't see how Misaki's anime form is weird or bad in anyway compared to the manga, maybe I just don't have the eye to spot these things.
Altho like musume_no_hoshi says, "Shoujo manga art style doesn't really translate well into anime style"
But for me I think this has been handled pretty well.
Actually just going by that main pic on that site alone, to me looks like one of the rare better looking shoujo animes.

well from the PV, Misaki still comes across as cute so it's all good here
Old 2010-01-22, 20:38   Link #60
Sol Falling

Heh, the animation really does have a 'generic anime' feel. It is indeed not as consistently terrible as the promo art on the same page, but the animation style in general just screams 'comedy' instead of 'romance'. Yeah KWMS is funny and all, but the area which it excels at is in the romance and sexual chemistry, and I'm getting the feeling that the anime will completely miss that.

Let me point out just one more thing about the promo pic. It's not an art thing this time, it's more conceptual. See how Misaki is holding Usui's tie? Obviously carrying over the theme from many of KWMS's cover pages. However, look at the loose, halfassed way she is grasping it, and add that to the dopey expression she has on (and Usui's similarly dull face). Not only does it look retarded, it doesn't express anything. Compare to the aforementioned cover pages in the actual manga, where when she's got the tie, it's always pulled taut. Furthermore, she's always got either a serious or (sexily) self-satisfied expression. Usui too. It's like they are expressing that Usui is chained to her, and that both of them are very, very, (and again, sexily) happy about it. That just does volumes for the atmosphere of the whole manga. That is also a vibe that the anime completely lacks.

I am going to watch this expecting to be disappointed.

Tags
comedy, drama, romance, shoujo