AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-03-11, 12:32   Link #6121
Roto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointzeroeight View Post
I've been trying to get this working for a good portion of the day, and have been making bits of progress until I've gotten to this point. I'm not very familiar with Ubuntu, but it's what I've got, and I'd like to be able to run Umineko on it. Running 10.10, managed to get Onscripter-en working, but when I try to run that command from the patch folder, I get a message saying that SDL couldn't be initialized. Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Can you post the exact text of the error message (and any output that appears before it?)

Also, are you using one of the prebuilt ONScripter-EN binaries or did you build it yourself from source? If you are building yourself, you might want to try to configure with the --with-internal-sdl (or --with-internal-libs). This will add a few megabytes to the resulting binaries but will ensure that they are statically linked with the versions of the libraries that we develop with.

When I get some time I'll try some builds on 10.10 and see if there might be issues that we can address in future releases.
Roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 14:47   Link #6122
James Lame
ahaha.wav

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibbazabba905 View Post
anyone hear anything on how ryukishi is doing?
Heh was thinking the same thing.
James Lame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 15:46   Link #6123
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lame View Post
Heh was thinking the same thing.
I've been getting kind of antsy, considering the earthquake...

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 15:52   Link #6124
James Lame
ahaha.wav

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
I've been getting kind of antsy, considering the earthquake...
I'm sure he's fine, but still it's some nasty stuff over there.
James Lame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 16:04   Link #6125
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lame View Post
I'm sure he's fine, but still it's some nasty stuff over there.
How can you be so sure right now...?

Old 2011-03-11, 16:07   Link #6126
cmos

Maybe because he's writing in his blog.
cmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 16:08   Link #6127
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos View Post
Maybe because he's writing in his blog.
Really? Could you or anyone else link it?

Old 2011-03-11, 16:12   Link #6128
cmos

http://07th-expansion.net/Cgi/clip/clip.cgi
cmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 02:38   Link #6129
pointzeroeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto View Post
Can you post the exact text of the error message (and any output that appears before it?)

Also, are you using one of the prebuilt ONScripter-EN binaries or did you build it yourself from source? If you are building yourself, you might want to try to configure with the --with-internal-sdl (or --with-internal-libs). This will add a few megabytes to the resulting binaries but will ensure that they are statically linked with the versions of the libraries that we develop with.

When I get some time I'll try some builds on 10.10 and see if there might be issues that we can address in future releases.
Code:
$ onscripter-en
System info: Intel CPU, with functions: MMX SSE SSE2 
Adding path: .
Adding path: ..
Adding path: ./:../
Script found: ./nscript.dat
Adding path: /home/jc/.Umineko4final/
Adding path: ./:../
 ***[Fatal] Init Error: Couldn't initialize SDL ***
	No available video device
 ***[Info] Init Error *** 
Couldn't initialize SDL
There's what I get. I had gone through this thread and found some instructions, so I ended up using Subversion, so I'm assuming that's building from source? If I was to configure with what you said, that would involve building it again, right?
pointzeroeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 12:33   Link #6130
Roto

Yeah, your SDL definitely isn't playing nicely with ONScripter-EN. I wonder if the build system is incorrectly detecting SDL 1.3 and trying to link to that (which won't work without some changes to ONScripter-EN.)

To rebuild and install with internal everything, which should avoid these incompatibility problems, run:

Code:
make clean
./configure --with-internal-libs
make
sudo make install
in the ONScripter-EN directory.

Edit: I just did some testing on Ubuntu 10.10 and I'm unable to reproduce the problem. I started with a fresh installation, and installed the following packages:

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion libjpeg-dev libvorbis-dev libbz2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsdl1.2-dev SDL-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsmpeg-dev
I checked out the latest version of ONScripter-EN from SVN (http://svn.unclemion.com/repo/onscripter, make sure you are not using an ancient Hæleth or insani version), ran ./configure, make, make install, and everything worked fine.

It doesn't look like SDL1.3 is in the ubuntu repos yet, so unless you've installed it manually (or added another package repository to your apt) that shouldn't be the problem. If you still have your nonworking onscripter-en, try running ldd on it (`ldd /path/to/your/onscripter-en`) and paste the output (either spoiler-tag it or send it via PM, it will be long.)

Last edited by Roto; 2011-03-12 at 13:25.
Roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 15:57   Link #6131
pointzeroeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto View Post
I checked out the latest version of ONScripter-EN from SVN (http://svn.unclemion.com/repo/onscripter, make sure you are not using an ancient Hæleth or insani version), ran ./configure, make, make install, and everything worked fine.

It doesn't look like SDL1.3 is in the ubuntu repos yet, so unless you've installed it manually (or added another package repository to your apt) that shouldn't be the problem. If you still have your nonworking onscripter-en, try running ldd on it (`ldd /path/to/your/onscripter-en`) and paste the output (either spoiler-tag it or send it via PM, it will be long.)
Just to make sure I'm making it from the right directory, I'm supposed to build from trunk, correct?
pointzeroeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 17:25   Link #6132
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

branches/onscripter-en-20110305 is the most recent release. The trunk is stable at the moment, so building from it should work, but we can't guarantee that at all times. (Hmm, maybe I could make a "current-release" tag or linked branch for those who want to do builds...)

Uncle Mion
Sonozaki Futagotachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 12:38   Link #6133
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Is it Episode 8 tiem yet?
Old 2011-03-13, 15:09   Link #6134
OmegaRed
Envoy of the end

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsundereCake View Post
I was going to ask the same thing.

I've been following this thread for a very, very long time. And I finally decided to join so I could ask the question quoted above.

I read a post about a week or so ago that said that by the weekend we'd know if a patch was going to be out that was last weekend. I also remember reading a post about 75% of the game being roughly translated so far and only about 50% properly cleaned up.

I also remember reading that someone said they most likely would not release a 50% patch like they've done in the past.

So I ask does anyone roughly know how far along the translation is, and how long do you think it will take before we see a patch?

Also I greatly appreciate the work you guys are doing great job keep it up!
OmegaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 00:57   Link #6135
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsundereCake View Post
If it was, there'd be a release. Have patience.

I think it's already been said (and shouldn't be surprising) that this is the hardest game in the series to translate.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 01:06   Link #6136
Aeriven
Please grant my wish.

Appreciate the update, k//eternal, good luck with Episode 8.

If you guys don't mind me asking, how are things with the Episode 8-compatible patch of Episode 7? Have you definitely decided to wait until a 50% patch of Episode 8 to release it, or is it still up in the air?

(I'm honestly a lot more anxious for Episode 7 than 8, since I wasn't able to buy a copy of Episode 7 and didn't want to pirate it. I'm having Umineko withdrawals!!)

Last edited by Aeriven; 2011-03-14 at 01:42.
Aeriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 03:50   Link #6137
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
I think they said they wouldn't be making a 50% patch for Ep8, considering the choices in the game and whatnot.
Old 2011-03-14, 20:45   Link #6138
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeriven View Post
(I'm honestly a lot more anxious for Episode 7 than 8, since I wasn't able to buy a copy of Episode 7 and didn't want to pirate it. I'm having Umineko withdrawals!!)
If you want you could always buy the legal download version from HobiBox (that's what I got while I waited for EP 8 to come in the post).
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 23:56   Link #6139
Aeriven
Please grant my wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
If you want you could always buy the legal download version from HobiBox (that's what I got while I waited for EP 8 to come in the post).
I could if I was REALLY bored and impatient, but the time EP7 came up on Hobibox, I'd already bought my copy of EP8. Kind of pointless for me to buy EP7 now, plus money is kind of tight at the moment.

Oh well, "no news is good news" is the mantra around here, so keep on trucking, Witch Hunt! I've got two English thesis papers to write to keep me busy anyway. XD
Old 2011-03-15, 02:46   Link #6140
kittylyoko

I was going to order my copy of EP8 at the beginging of April... If anyone knows if Amiami is still running let me know...

Tags
translation