AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-06, 15:27   Link #41
signorRossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueCaptain View Post
I also love the episode where Spike and Jet watch the tape of Faye when she was a kid, that event gave me a newfound world of respect for Faye's character and you can't help but to feel sorry for the person she has become, it was just so moving. Now, before you guys think I am some Bebop fanboy, I'm not. I dont think the series is without it's flaws but I think, for the most part, the positives outweight the negatives with Cowboy Bebop and we were treated to one of the first adult oriented anime series that helped to set a trend for future series to come.
You forgot that this episode was hilarious too. They went to earth on an Indiana Jones style search to get a Beta-Max recorder only to be able to watch the video and got a VHS one.
In regard to the 'most' perceived flaw, namely that CB is too episodic, I thought that too the first time watching it, but don't anymore now that I have watched it again. The main plot is actually already introduced in the 4th episode (correct me if I am wrong, might be another episode around that number), and I didn't have to sit through any of the 26 episodes, everyone was enjoyable. Hell, now I even think the 'Mushroom Hunting' episode was excellent. :-)
I just wish there would have been shows of this quality in 2009, the last year was really disappointing, especially summer, fall, winter.
signorRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 16:43   Link #42
TrueCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by signorRossi View Post
You forgot that this episode was hilarious too. They went to earth on an Indiana Jones style search to get a Beta-Max recorder only to be able to watch the video and got a VHS one.
In regard to the 'most' perceived flaw, namely that CB is too episodic, I thought that too the first time watching it, but don't anymore now that I have watched it again. The main plot is actually already introduced in the 4th episode (correct me if I am wrong, might be another episode around that number), and I didn't have to sit through any of the 26 episodes, everyone was enjoyable. Hell, now I even think the 'Mushroom Hunting' episode was excellent. :-)
I just wish there would have been shows of this quality in 2009, the last year was really disappointing, especially summer, fall, winter.
It was a funny episode, their escapades towards obtaining a VHS player was hilarious and the reference to Beverly Hills 90210 made me laugh out loud when I first saw it. Clever indeed...
TrueCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 17:41   Link #43
signorRossi

Quote:
It was a funny episode, their escapades towards obtaining a VHS player was hilarious and the reference to Beverly Hills 90210 made me laugh out loud when I first saw it. Clever indeed...
What was the reference? I never was an avid 90210 watcher and my memory might fail me too... wait, I never really watched 90210...
Old 2010-01-06, 18:55   Link #44
TrueCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by signorRossi View Post
What was the reference? I never was an avid 90210 watcher and my memory might fail me too... wait, I never really watched 90210...
It was in the scene where Jet and Spike went to visit the vintage goods dealer, he's watching an episode of a show where the characters names were Brenda and Brandon and when the snippet of the show ends and it listed the executive producer as Jason Preistley, who played Brandon on Beverly Hills 90210. I laughed so hard when I first saw that episode because I was a huge fan of 90210 in the mid to late 90's, it's about 10 minutes into the episode "Speak like a child" which is Bebop episode #18 I believe...
Old 2010-01-06, 23:30   Link #45
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
I cried over this episode. It was the message of the young, naive, optomistic Faye to her self of the future. Her trying to return to a past that was gone. Sleeping on the ground where her bed used to be. I saw myself, imagining a message from my past self to the person I thought I would be in the future. Very moving. Waaaaahhh!

And the Beta quest was hilarious; Spike kicking the machine, examining the tape, the antique dealer. "You can't smoke in here!"

Mushroom Samba was also funny as hell: everyone sneaking a mushroom, the guy with the coffin, the hallucinations, Ed's chase of the bad guy, the reward, and the COW!

Toys in the Attic was a very scary and suspenseful story with a wonderfully humorous anti-climactic ending.

The Teddy Bomber! Stray Dog Strut! Jamming with Edward! All hysterically funny.

And the same series had many very dramatic and moving stories. Sympathy for the Devil. Waltz For Venus. Ganymede Elegy. Black Dog Serenade. Pierrot le Fou. Boogie Woogie Feng Shui. Brain Scratch.

And the music theme running through them all. And 13 excellent albums of Youko Kanno music. Great chases and fights. The tensions between the characters.

This is a long post, but I still only scratched the surface. This series easily stands with the all-time best.

It just does.

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2010-01-06 at 23:48.
drobertbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 10:29   Link #46
TrueCaptain

People don't really give this series a lot of credit with helping to bring in a new wave of mature anime fans with it's different approach to storytelling and adult oriented content. Back in the days of Pokemon, Yugioh, DBZ and other kid oriented anime, Bebop came along and helped to usher in a completely new kind of fan, kids were now not the only people who could enjoy anime and more and more companies began producing anime based toward a more mature taste in storytelling. Cowboy Bebop was one of the anime's that helped to make that happen, and the fact that it's one of the rare anime hits that were not based off of a manga is kind of a cool little side note as well.
Old 2010-01-10, 10:53   Link #47
signorRossi

Quote:
People don't really give this series a lot of credit with helping to bring in a new wave of mature anime fans with it's different approach to storytelling and adult oriented content. Back in the days of Pokemon, Yugioh, DBZ and other kid oriented anime, Bebop came along and helped to usher in a completely new kind of fan, kids were now not the only people who could enjoy anime and more and more companies began producing anime based toward a more mature taste in storytelling. Cowboy Bebop was one of the anime's that helped to make that happen, and the fact that it's one of the rare anime hits that were not based off of a manga is kind of a cool little side note as well.
Unfortunately the tide has turned and adult/grown-up-oriented diminished rapidly the last years.
Old 2010-01-24, 15:02   Link #48
awkwardanimals

I just finished watching the series a few days ago and I loved it! Totally buying it on DVD. I was skeptical because I usually don't like this style of anime (I'm a stereotypical girl who likes romance animes and comedies... XD) but I LOVE LOVE LOVE cowboy bebop its funny + the ending makes me emotional every time..
Old 2011-06-02, 10:28   Link #49
Solafighter
Hige

Last night, i finished rewatching the whole series + movie.

All i can say is, since i already posted here, how good it is, that every single time, the ending blows my mind. Thats what this anime gives the last push to be on my top 1, of favourite animes.

Cowboy Bebop is from my point of view unbeatable.
Old 2011-08-03, 14:48   Link #50
Kayoubi
Togame's Sword

I just finished rewatching the series too and it's damn good even after so many years. The whole series was paces very slowly but it was never boring. It hits the right notes at all the right time. And I now better appreciate the talented work Yoko Kanno put into Bebop.
Kayoubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 17:59   Link #51
Shinigami00

the series is kinda boring most of the time. THe last two episodes, though, are true masterpieces in every sense! Stupendous!
Shinigami00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-01, 04:49   Link #52
YuriEcchiGirl

I own the entire series on DVD across 2 x 3 disc boxsets aswell as it's feature-length movie
Old 2011-09-01, 09:05   Link #53
NoLongerSane

I really enjoyed the last two episodes, but I also enjoyed the ending song for the final episode and the song that was played on the Hard Luck Woman episode.
Old 2011-09-01, 09:17   Link #54
YuriEcchiGirl

It's such a cult classic anime series, and thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish
Old 2011-09-01, 09:43   Link #55
Solafighter
Hige

It is a must see anime.
Old 2011-09-01, 16:08   Link #56
YuriEcchiGirl

Faye Valentine will always be my favourite Cowboy Bebop character, end of
Old 2012-03-27, 13:08   Link #57
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Just finished Bebop.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of episodic series, if it doesn't have an over-arching storyline, it's going to be hard for me to stay interested.

There would be times when I had to rewind parts of the ep just because I wasn't paying attention.

However, the last couple of episodes were pretty good. What shines about Cowboy Bebop are the themes : existentialism, loneliness. The mood and setting of this post-space age world also is worth mentioning.

And last but not least, the amazing OST.
SRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 07:33   Link #58
Kylegoblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenducky View Post
a) it has nothing to do with teenagers going through puberty ( i am so sick of animes like that)

b) because there arent any "super powers" involved or any gigantic robots

and c) because the main character isnt a goody goody who always does the right thing hes pretty cool on my standards

but then again thats just me
Dude, you nailed it. I can't tell you how much i appreciate another series like CB with ADULT characters. Just can't get into kid problems at my age.

Loved the characters, they all had a facade that belied some personal pain that you slowly learned about.

Maybe most importantly for me is that the music is very soulful which you just don't see in many (any?) anime.
Kylegoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 02:50   Link #59
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I'd just like to say that the BDs for Cowboy Bebop are out in Japan, and they look downright spectacular. They are great for anyone interested in rewatching this anime, and even better for new watchers.

Cheers.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 05:00   Link #60
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I'd just like to say that the BDs for Cowboy Bebop are out in Japan, and they look downright spectacular. They are great for anyone interested in rewatching this anime, and even better for new watchers.

Cheers.
Did they add some new materials or changing some scenes or just remaster the pic to HD?

Tags
crime, science fiction