AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-02-02, 07:48   Link #21
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
I hope you dont have to watch the first one to get into this
Why? Just watch the first season. It's a must watch show, plus there's plenty of time before the second will start.
Old 2011-02-02, 08:06   Link #22
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Seems like i missed a great anime , will try it. I was sceptic when i saw Gonzo.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 08:37   Link #23
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

What? what? what? This is a completely unexpected news for me. Since I love Last Exile, I would usually be ecstatic about such news, but unfortunately, I've long since given up all faith I had in Gonzo. I'll watch it of course, but I'm not getting my hopes. I'd rather be cautious and end up pleasantly surprised than hopeful and eventually bitterly disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Close but that would be Gankutsuou and Kaleido Star. Yeah I know opinions opinions.
Gankutuou is definitely their finest work for me as well. It's like they gathered all the awesomeness and money that was to be allocated to every single show they would produce in the next 10 years and poured it all in this one series.
Old 2011-02-02, 09:40   Link #24
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Close but that would be Gankutsuou and Kaleido Star. Yeah I know opinions opinions.
I agree with both titles, though I didn't see part 2 of Kaleido Star. I'd also add Getsumen to Heiki Mina above Last Exile.

Last Exile had a ending. I just wonder if they're using it as a springboard to showcase their 3D skills. It can't be due to the title's popularity in Japan as it's from 2003 and should of had a follow up by now or a blu-ray release in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animation dvd sales thread
Last Exile *6,041 (13, not including DVD-BOX) (Gonzo/Geneon USA)
2003/07/23 *6,601 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Two episodes up to Vol. 13)
2003/07/23 *1,885 Vol. 1 Standard Edition
2003/08/21 *7,336 Vol. 2
2003/09/21 *6,296 Vol. 3
2003/10/22 *6,921 Vol. 4
2003/11/21 *6,515 Vol. 5
2003/12/17 *4,738 Vol. 6
2004/01/21 *6,433 Vol. 7
2004/02/21 *4,805 Vol. 8 Limited Edition
2004/03/24 *4,835 Vol. 9
2004/04/21 *5,692 Vol. 10
2004/05/21 *5,351 Vol. 11
2004/06/23 *5,607 Vol. 12
2004/07/21 *5,523 Vol. 13
2007/11/21 *1,205 DVD-BOX (Twenty-six episodes)

Last edited by orion; 2011-02-02 at 09:51.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 10:47   Link #25
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Haha take it easy guys, i did say it was in my opinion .

All the works you mentioned were wonderful Gonzo works. The point being, it's one of their best ones and is a must see watch even if it isn't necessary to view to understand this one.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 14:08   Link #26
TrueKnight

Oh my God.... I can't believe my eyes. At first I thought this was a joke but then after researching it seems like it's true and we're going to have another Last Exile. The first series for me was a complete masterpiece with superb animations if compared by today's standard, heck even better in most cases considering that the series was made when Gonzo's still at its prime.

I also hope they don't screw this. Last Exile had given me a memorable and pleasant impression on anime in general, that it's not about moetards but focused on quality, beautiful animations and epic settings.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 14:49   Link #27
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Seems like i missed a great anime , will try it. I was sceptic when i saw Gonzo.
Perfectly understandable, most of Gonzo series tend to be misses. Last Exile was one of the few hits.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Old 2011-02-02, 20:27   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

For my money this was Gonzo's best work. And even largely exempt from their botched ending syndrome, though I know not all agree.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 21:13   Link #29
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I've been living under a rock and out off the radar, because I want to know if GONZO has recovered from the financial struggles and issues that forced the studio to go to near bankruptcy last year?

Is this true, or just I'm wrong ?

On-Topic:

To me Last Exile was memorable, because it was one of the very first anime titles that I watched after graduating recently from college during that era.

There were no words for me to describe the visuals, the characters, the storyline, the animation, and the music.

Even all the tiniest details were engaging.

The settings and the atmosphere felt to me as taken from the following historical time frames:
1. The Napoleonic Era
2. The late Industrial Revolution period
3. The World War I era

The vanships to me were a delicacy and a treat to my eyes watching flying at full motion.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 21:30   Link #30
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Last Exile was one of my favorites, so despite my wariness at this being Gonzo, I'm excited for it. This will be the first Gonzo show I'll watch since...well, Last Exile.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 23:21   Link #31
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Why? Just watch the first season. It's a must watch show, plus there's plenty of time before the second will start.
I would like to watch it but I really dont have to time tell Funi put out the Viridian Collection
Old 2011-02-03, 04:46   Link #32
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
I would like to watch it but I really dont have to time tell Funi put out the Viridian Collection
You can easily pick up the original boxset for quite cheap now. You have until January until this next season is set to air. Plenty of time.
Old 2011-02-03, 18:15   Link #33
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

wow great news, i'm going to have to re-watch it
Old 2011-02-03, 18:18   Link #34
antigone

Last Exile's setting was intriguing and teeming with potential. Then after sixteen episodes the potential was still unrealized. To think that it was done by a spectacular GONZO back then. Now a merely a shell of its former self, there's not really much rejoicing for this news.
antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 19:58   Link #35
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post

I've been living under a rock and out off the radar, because I want to know if GONZO has recovered from the financial struggles and issues that forced the studio to go to near bankruptcy last year?

Is this true, or just I'm wrong ?
They're profitable again, although that came after some severe downsizing. Half a dozen "ex-Gonzo" studios have since sprung up, so they're probably a very different company now (in terms of both management and personnel). The people who ran Gonzo before were ousted by the new ownership.

Most likely, someone looked at the shows/techniques that made Gonzo famous, and have decided to build on that.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 21:42   Link #36
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

so happy. sooooo very happy. one of the best soundtracks ever.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 05:23   Link #37
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
so happy. sooooo very happy. one of the best soundtracks ever.
I agree, so let's hope Dolce Triade and Hitomi Kuroishi return to work on the score.
Old 2011-02-04, 05:43   Link #38
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by antigone View Post
Last Exile's setting was intriguing and teeming with potential. Then after sixteen episodes the potential was still unrealized. To think that it was done by a spectacular GONZO back then. Now a merely a shell of its former self, there's not really much rejoicing for this news.
+1

What are odds for this new season to be equally good?

-Sequels rarely are on par with the original
-Gonzo has no money
-Gonzo keeps messing its own stories after awhile
-And as a personal note, I wasn't thrilled with the show to begin with. The characters looked like dolls, the world was left undeveloped, the pacing was slow and fluxuating between good and bad moments, the ending was messy and rushed.

As for the funky airships and cool world, I think most of us switched to Bounen no Xamdou (an equally chaotic series with an equally messy ending with the only difference that it's made by Bones).

I am also not sure if the setting will even be interesting after other anime like Planet of the Beast King or Scrapped Princess had somewhat similar worlds (exaled, prisons).

So no, very low expectations from my part.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 07:34   Link #39
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Is there anything wrong with having our hopes up for this new series, really? I mean sure there's reason why it won't be good, though it's always a 50/50 chance.
Old 2011-02-04, 08:15   Link #40
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

For all you know Gonzo may have gotten its act together and make an ending that's more of... say... Speed Grapher's last half (though I presume YMMV)..
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, science fiction